Ebay

Thaifever

I used to do ebay but prices on ebay are crazy low. I did a lot of activities and got like 2000 feedbacks. I sold inkjet cartridges and ship them out daily to customers, lots of packaging and mailing involve. Oh, by the way, I did this when I was in the US but now back in Thailand.

I couldn't beat the listing fees and competitors prices, it is so so little margin.

I feel selling something to the crowd is also a good choice. Like sales team or something.

Edited by kumsamut

• 3 weeks later...

I've been selling on eBay for 8 years to the point I quit my medical job. I know how to list and get top dollar (depending on the item). I have one contact in BKK to do my shopping for me (awaiting a shipment now). If you need help, let me know and I can see what I can do for you.

eBay is very difficult and you can lose a lot of money learning lessons. In one of my categories after the changes eBay has done, I have received a 30% nonpayment (I have 6 eBay stores this is just one). Nonpayment means you have to pay again to re-sell the item and ebay doesn't refund the up front money (despite what they try to make you believe).

I use paypal and accept many forms of payment. Despite the paypal fees, the convenience allows me to get paid immediately and I have more buyers making the volume justify the expense.

It's not easy but you certainly can carve out a nice living from eBay is you're so motivated. I typically put in 15 hours a day every day but I love it!

Edited by HYENA

I've been selling on eBay for 8 years to the point I quit my medical job. I know how to list and get top dollar (depending on the item). I have one contact in BKK to do my shopping for me (awaiting a shipment now). If you need help, let me know and I can see what I can do for you.

eBay is very difficult and you can lose a lot of money learning lessons. In one of my categories after the changes eBay has done, I have received a 30% nonpayment (I have 6 eBay stores this is just one). Nonpayment means you have to pay again to re-sell the item and ebay doesn't refund the up front money (despite what they try to make you believe).

I use paypal and accept many forms of payment. Despite the paypal fees, the convenience allows me to get paid immediately and I have more buyers making the volume justify the expense.

It's not easy but you certainly can carve out a nice living from eBay is you're so motivated. I typically put in 15 hours a day every day but I love it!

i have been told a half a dozen times in the last 2 days that paypal now will not allow fees paid to me moved til the buyer receives positive feedback ! :o

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm interested in this because I've started doing it.

I was wondering if there is any forum or such where ebayers from Thailand go to discuss problems, methods etc. I'm not looking to take anyones turf or step on any toes, just interested in talking with people who work in the same business.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I'm interested in this because I've started doing it.

I was wondering if there is any forum or such where ebayers from Thailand go to discuss problems, methods etc. I'm not looking to take anyones turf or step on any toes, just interested in talking with people who work in the same business.

You can go to the eBay members forum on the eBay website that you are advertising on. Problem is you will only find dic*heads on there who are only interested in picking you at what you are selling, where you live, where you are selling from, etc..

In Thailand they do have regular meetings for Thai based eBay members, normally carried out in a hotel somewhere in Bangkok. If you are a registered eBay member in Thailand you will likely receive an email invitation from them, I have received them before although I have not received one for a while now.

You can go to the eBay members forum on the eBay website that you are advertising on. Problem is you will only find dic*heads on there who are only interested in picking you at what you are selling, where you live, where you are selling from, etc..

In Thailand they do have regular meetings for Thai based eBay members, normally carried out in a hotel somewhere in Bangkok. If you are a registered eBay member in Thailand you will likely receive an email invitation from them, I have received them before although I have not received one for a while now.

I would advise not using the forums on eBay as they are very heavily policed as in, if you ask a question or make a comment that may in the slightest make eBay not look like the most amazing company since the dawn of time your posts get deleted and a good chance you accounts closed.

There are other forums that are less policed that are about general auction site selling. If you do a Google search and try things like powersellersunite. Great place give you many better alternatives to feebay/ripoffpal and also has handy hints on how to start you own site.

I have no affiliation to that site but have found good info on it.

Edited by barrella

• 2 weeks later...
Although the cautions of above posters contain truth, I detect a lot of "I've been burned there so I'm gonna trash them mentality"

I may be one of the earliest adopters of eBay, as an expat in Thailand, that is still using it as a significant channel. This does not make me an eBay-sycophant, in fact I've been banned for life from their forums for being too incisively critical of their policies and for undisputedly proving their moderation staff lie to their paying customers. However, on the trading side it does still work for me after five and a half years, and as long as it generates profits, I'll continue to use it.

PayPal have also verified I am their longest serving user in Thailand (I was using it before I used it on eBay) and I have a second account which was their first ever registration to originate in Thailand. Again, I am not their rose tinted advocate, I take no prisoners when they muck me about, but in over 12,000 transactions in the last five years, I have only had four chargeback claims go against me - two were escalated to the FBI IC3 internet crime unit, one I held my hands up to being a mistake, and the other is pending a UK court date with the buyer and PayPal as co-defendants for commiting and facilitating internet fraud.

eBay and PayPal are channels of convenience. They have the user bases which facilitate a rapid entry to ecommerce, but they should only be regarded as one egg in your eBasket.

Other sites are just as useful, though slower generators of sales, but with far lower ongoing costs. Sites such as eCrater, eBid.net, iOffer, etsy, Oztion (if you have an Aussie address), and even Amazon if you can get past their requirement to live in UK, US, or Germany.

Online payment systems I've used include AlertPay, iKobo, MoneyBookers (recommended), NoChex, ppPay all operate in similar ways to PayPal without geographic restrictions, and all of those have modules to interface with an osCommerce webstore if you build your own ecommerce site (I currently have 3 of those). Offline I use UK & Thai banks with internet banking, and once a customer has bought from you a few times, most are happy to pay by that route, recognising that it saves you costs (especially if you offer a discount for doing so).

eBay and PayPal have been rolling tsunami waves of policy and rule changes in 2008, as well as major changes in site infrastructures and operational functions. It's impossible to explain them all here, but one site that does a good job of it is BuildaSkill.com - both in their blog and forums, which unlike eBay forums are not censored to hel_l and back of anything critical of their group of companies.

--

I've been thinking its about time that eBayers in Thailand began getting together and sharing experience and tips, as well as having social gatherings from time to time - anyone up for it?

Gaz

It's a masterly posting.

I've found business on Ebay a real pain of late, in that I've had to dramatically increase my skills, cope with the stress of unending change, get used to lower profit margins, and deal with at times the bizarre behaviour of both Ebay and some users. Then there's the slump!!! It's really not for the faint hearted.

So in part I do think it's right to point out that Ebay has significant problems: in short you are putting yourself in league with a business with a fast failing business model. It's more about not having any realistic alternative really, at least as far as auction sites are concened, and that's that, you're left having to get on with it or fold.

My energies are now focused on searching/selling branded prods. that are either lesser known or not fake or not cared about by Ebay, that nevertheless have some established following on Ebay, that are still inexpensive, and in regular supply so they can be systemised, needle in a haystack then!! almost but not quite!

I'd say it's very difficult to market the ubiquitous items such as cushion covers, I love tuk tuk t shirts, etc, the profit margins are not there, and any half decent items are being wholesaled by operators with slick operations- a newbie doesn't stand a chance, what with having to get used to the myriad of Ebay systems and their rather odd ways.

Also be aware of the sheer hard work involved I'd say. One man bands have never been about having an easy life, and that runs contrary to what many people come out to Thailand to find, ie, the easy life.

There are a few misconceptions that have appeared in the postings so far or need reiteration.

1. Having established feedback is not so very important in my view at least with low value items.

2. Any newbie working out of Thailand and selling abroad will have to accept Paypal, it's a straight rule, and indeed most customers will expect to pay by Paypal.

3. The postal service is in fact very good at least if you are sending low value items to UK, USA, Germany, etc. France, Italy, Spain and Malta - don't send.

4. Most big/medium size brand names are out, you'll be off, even if it's not fake.

5.Ebay has been quite a succesful forum for many people in Thailand, historically at least, but times are tough.

6. These days you have to be very good, with an extremely good operation all round, the pic and price are particularly important, and customer service must be a very harsh criteria that is actively imposed by Ebay.

7. Don't think you can argue reason or exception especially with Paypal- be prepared to lose money unfairly simply because one is really bound to use regular airmail without a satisfactory proof of receipt.