Wanted-qualified Teacher To Tutor In Samui For 4mths

katiep

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons

You might get more replies if you posted an idea of the salary or total renumeration package that you are prepaired to offer. I know you have provided an e-mail address, but quite a few people won't bother responding to an ad such as this without any information about the benifits that they will recieve. One of the schools I used to work for had the same problem until it was suggested that they advertise the benifits and pay of the job, then the enquiries came in. Just a suggestion.

You might get more replies if you posted an idea of the salary or total renumeration package that you are prepaired to offer. I know you have provided an e-mail address, but quite a few people won't bother responding to an ad such as this without any information about the benifits that they will recieve. One of the schools I used to work for had the same problem until it was suggested that they advertise the benifits and pay of the job, then the enquiries came in. Just a suggestion.

Thanks very much for your help! Just looking for someone to help keep the kids up-to-date on their school work. It should be an easy, flexible job for someone. I'll update my post.

Cheers

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons.

[/qu

A bit more information on the job;

Salary 35k per month

Accommodation provided if required

Very very flexible working hours

Weekends off to party

Flights/travelling expenses paid

Does anyone out there have any qualified mates who fancy a change?

Let's see.... 35 hours by 35000... roughly 240 Baht an hour. For a qualified teacher (maths, sciences and usual children issues and behavious and parental expectations).

You will not get any serious responses unless it reaches 400+ an hour.

I tutor in Phuket. I also teach at the local govt. schools. My rates are 500.00 an hour. 750 an hour for Japanese students. I have taught for over 7 years locally, but I am not a qualified teacher in any western country's definition.

No, I am not applying for the job, just giving you an idea of what a qualified teacher might ask for.

Good luck. I genuinely mean that.

Let's see.... 35 hours by 35000... roughly 240 Baht an hour. For a qualified teacher (maths, sciences and usual children issues and behavious and parental expectations).

You will not get any serious responses unless it reaches 400+ an hour.

I tutor in Phuket. I also teach at the local govt. schools. My rates are 500.00 an hour. 750 an hour for Japanese students. I have taught for over 7 years locally, but I am not a qualified teacher in any western country's definition.

No, I am not applying for the job, just giving you an idea of what a qualified teacher might ask for.

Good luck. I genuinely mean that.

Thanks for your input but you didnt really read the post correctly.

25 hours per week divided by 35k equals roughly 1400batht per hour PLUS bedroom in our lovely house with food so no living expenses there AND complete flexibility with the working hours as we are such an easy going, nice, young family. Oh and flight/travel expenses to get to samui. Not bad if someone is interested in a long paid holiday. They could be diving for the afternoon by 2.30pm! Beats the weather in europe I can tell you!!

Cheers

I think one of the problems here is that you don't understand the market.

Those of us who are working for Thai schools work from June-March. Those who work for most "true" international schools work from September-May (June).

NO ONE who will be even remotely qualified has a "holiday" during the time period you specify. This means that either you will have to lower your expectations or pay enough to compensate a qualified teacher for the loss of a school year.

Furthermore, when I have tutored children for the IGCSE's, generally I have received at least 600B/hr (if there weren't many children to tutor)- per TEACHING HOUR. You may wish to work on your own maths- 25 hrs a week for one month equals 100 hours. 35,000B/100hrs = 350B/hr. WAAAY too low. You can consider the requirement to live with your family in general a negative (no private life) which is only (just) offset by the room and board- it doesn't begin to make up for the relatively low salary and the incredibly unsuitable time period.

Oh, and did I mention you were asking for a teacher skilled in at least 4-5 different areas, plus child-friendly? Usually that would be extra.

You might pull this off if you were offering 100K a month and there was someone around with no life of their own and nothing else important to do the rest of the year (like teach in a real school- it'll be too late for that).

"S"

...25 hrs a week for one month equals 100 hours. 35,000B/100hrs = 350B/hr.

Yay...somebody finally got the math correct (basically)

To get picky, there is an average of 4.33 weeks in a month, so 25x4.33=108.3. Therefore 35,000/108.3=~323B/hr

Edited by pattyboy

I divided it by 30 hours, which is the max the OP stated. IWANNA was spot on with regards to teacher schedules. I would suggest that you look for a university student on leave, who can accompany you to Samui.

With zero privacy, and basically bored for the rest of the day, they teacher is stuck babysitting as well. Not really worth it for a qualified teacher.

Even if the pay was a lot better, I doubt a qualified teacher would be interested. You'd possible need to find a teacher considering moving to Samui, then this would give them a crusiy job for a few months until the time was up (that would have given them time to find a real job there). Or, someone just arriving in Thailand looking to teach there; this job could be a nice introduction to teaching there in a nice location. Either way, I doubt a qualified teacher would be interested. You might find an unqualified teacher whose real interest is backpacking and diving and then this would appeal to them. You might need to approach a language school or school in Samui and offer one of the teachers there extra work. That could work out a lot easier and cheaper for you. Just pay them a decent hourly rate and you wouldn't need to be stuck with them all the time. After all, you are loking for a teacher, not a teacher/ part time babysitter, right? I'd check with the language schools, or other schools there. Put an ad in the paper. I'm sure you'll find someone that way. But yeah, good luck.

I've had many friends with PhD's come to Thailand to teach for far less that folks are quoting. In fact, many of them have volunteered, just to be in this lovely country. Sure, you'll never get someone qualified to teach for that amount of money if they are primarily, or solely, interested in making large sums of money or desparately in need of career advancement. However, there are many qualified that would love to spend the time in Thailand and enjoy the circumstances that are offered. Good luck.

Wow, I read the OP's advert again, and it appears the situation gets worse.

"Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc)."

Basic Translation: Babysit a rambunctious 10-year-old while trying to do some serious teaching to a 14-year-old.

And the math has to be recalculated. If the OP actually expects the babysitter/teacher to do a 30-hour week, then we have 30x4.33=~130. Therefore, 35,000/130=~269B/hr. So, according to my other post, the true rate of pay would be anywhere from 323-269B/hr.

It has been also pointed out that the teacher would not have a work permit -- a situation that would subject them to possible deportation and hefty fines.

This does not appear to be a job that one should recommend to friends.

Edited by pattyboy

Negative bunch aren't they??

You might well get a reply if you want a young grad who wants an au pair type position.

I think you will also do better if you advertise on another web site (ajarn.com or an au pair site)away from the jaded old gits on Thai Visa.....most of them haven't got 2 setangs to rub together anyhoo

If you have a "guest" staying at your house, who's to know about the work situation? A grey area a best I would think.

Whata bunch of 'know it all's' and we are better and deserve <deleted> loads more than that.

You know what, any backpacker that happens to be a teacher would probably jump at the chance.

Work permit, yeah good one.

Go put this ad up on lonely planet or some such other websites that is not full of up em self people. If you were in Bkk for some time prior to samui, you could probably place ads in Kao san rd area and get heaps of people wanting it.

Negative bunch aren't they??

You might well get a reply if you want a young grad who wants an au pair type position.

I think you will also do better if you advertise on another web site (ajarn.com or an au pair site)away from the jaded old gits on Thai Visa.....most of them haven't got 2 setangs to rub together anyhoo

If you have a "guest" staying at your house, who's to know about the work situation? A grey area a best I would think.

this jaded old Thaivisa git isnt even going to do spelchek. I dare the OP to post that ad on the open forum on ajarn - she;ll get crucified by most posters

Whata bunch of 'know it all's' and we are better and deserve <deleted> loads more than that.

You know what, any backpacker that happens to be a teacher would probably jump at the chance.

Go put this ad up on lonely planet or some such other websites that is not full of up em self people. If you were in Bkk for some time prior to samui, you could probably place ads in Kao san rd area and get heaps of people wanting it.

Learn to read you wanna be 'know it all' before you write something stupid like that. The OP wants a qualified teacher, qualified to teach several subjects, not any old backpacker that can teach. That's why we were saying the salary is way too low. But you are right, any backpacker who can teach would most likely jump at that offer, but a backpacker and a qualified teacher who can teach several subjects are two different things. Putting an ad up at Khao San for a qualified teacher who will accept that offer LOL. Go back to sleep...............

Posting without spellccchking again...

in this context, qualified means you can teach history, ninth form science, quadratic equations, advanced grammar, how to write an advanced essay, simple molecular biology, Shakespeare, ee cummings, etc., off the top of your head, in terms the student understands,....

Learn to read you wanna be 'know it all' before you write something stupid like that. The OP wants a qualified teacher, qualified to teach several subjects, not any old backpacker that can teach. That's why we were saying the salary is way too low. But you are right, any backpacker who can teach would most likely jump at that offer, but a backpacker and a qualified teacher who can teach several subjects are two different things. Putting an ad up at Khao San for a qualified teacher who will accept that offer LOL. Go back to sleep...............

"backpacker who happens to be a teacher....well I don't know about who thinks they can read but that would imply qualified to me?

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

happens to be an engineer

happens to be an illiterate....

Edited by wilko

in this context, qualified means you can teach history, ninth form science, quadratic equations, advanced grammar, how to write an advanced essay, simple molecular biology, Shakespeare, ee cummings, etc., off the top of your head, in terms the student understands,....

are you familiar with the national curriculum for GCSEs and how they're taught....doesn't sound like it

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons.

I would like the job. Can I bring my Wife and her family with me? Mum, Dad, four aunties, 2 brothers,3 sisters and 3 Dogs. Maybe Nan and Grandad will come later once they harvest the rubber trees? You wont have to pay for there airfare as they all have skateboards.

See you in April.

"backpacker who happens to be a teacher....well I don't know about who thinks they can read but that would imply qualified to me?

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

So then are you claiming that all teachers are qualified teachers? Is the sky red? If you are suggesting that if someone happens to be X then they are also a qualified X, you obviosuly lack life experience. I'm sure if you went into many of the schools around Thailand and checked teachers credentials that you would find many illegal teachers and people who are unqualified to teach. A lot of the backpackers from Khao San apply for teaching jobs without any qualifications, but once they get the job, does that make them qualified? I don't think so. According to you it dose................. Why bother studying to get qualifications to be a teacher if I will automatically become a qualified teacher once I land a teaching job? See you all tomorrow, I'm returning to Thailand to teach whith the knowledge that being a teacher also makes me a qualified teacher.

are you familiar with the national curriculum for GCSEs and how they're taught....doesn't sound like it

which goes to show you that some teachers are even more qualified than others. Don't forget the ten year old git; you have to teach him everything, pedagogically correctly. I suspect the OP does not know what a qualified teacher is. Would 100,000 baht per month, plus food and lodging, be enough?

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons .

What a laugh you've all given me!! Thank god I have a good old fashioned, british sense of humour, which some of you lack! Thank you all for your suggestions and sarcastic replies, they were great.

I just want to clear up a few things first.

The wage was just a starting point and obviously negiotable (something you thai's are normally good at!).

The 'little git' is just an expression for a little rascal. Hes a normal boy!

The idea of a room in our house was only an thought but we are certainly not looking for a babysitter.

My partner is a Doctor and will be working, we are definately not a 'Brits on tour' family.

And lastly, most of the teaching material will be provided by their current teachers.

I fully understand the job would only appeal to a handful of people but some of you guys are soooo serious.

Chill out and be happy!!! :o

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

So then are you claiming that all teachers are qualified teachers? Is the sky red? If you are suggesting that if someone happens to be X then they are also a qualified X, you obviosuly lack life experience. I'm sure if you went into many of the schools around Thailand and checked teachers credentials that you would find many illegal teachers and people who are unqualified to teach. A lot of the backpackers from Khao San apply for teaching jobs without any qualifications, but once they get the job, does that make them qualified? I don't think so. According to you it dose................. Why bother studying to get qualifications to be a teacher if I will automatically become a qualified teacher once I land a teaching job? See you all tomorrow, I'm returning to Thailand to teach whith the knowledge that being a teacher also makes me a qualified teacher.

In so far as the purposes of this ad...yes......within norms of recruitment all Doctors are qualified etc are you suggesting that only fraudulent people will reply? actually what ARE you talking about?????

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

In so far as the purposes of this ad...yes......within norms of recruitment all Doctors are qualified etc are you suggesting that only fraudulent people will reply? actually what ARE you talking about?????

I will speak slowly for you. There are many teachers teaching in Thailand. There are many un-qualified teachers teaching in Thailand. Therefore, not all teachers that are teaching in Thailand are qualified. Just because you are or claim to be a teacher, doesn't mean that you're a qualified teacher. The OP wants a qualified teacher. A backpackpacker who can teach and claims to be a teacher doesn't necessarily mean that they are a qualified teacher. Thats all. A lot of fraudsters in Thailand, which is the norm there anyway :o

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

I will speak slowly for you. There are many teachers teaching in Thailand. There are many un-qualified teachers teaching in Thailand. Therefore, not all teachers that are teaching in Thailand are qualified. Just because you are or claim to be a teacher, doesn't mean that you're a qualified teacher. The OP wants a qualified teacher. A backpackpacker who can teach and claims to be a teacher doesn't necessarily mean that they are a qualified teacher. Thats all. A lot of fraudsters in Thailand, which is the norm there anyway :o

I know......I know!! Looking through 4 CV's and 3 of them are definately qualified (None are thai). They are all just looking for a year off to travel. Thank you again though, I appreciate it!