Wanted-qualified Teacher To Tutor In Samui For 4mths

katiep

Whata bunch of 'know it all's' and we are better and deserve <deleted> loads more than that.

You know what, any backpacker that happens to be a teacher would probably jump at the chance.

Work permit, yeah good one.

Go put this ad up on lonely planet or some such other websites that is not full of up em self people. If you were in Bkk for some time prior to samui, you could probably place ads in Kao san rd area and get heaps of people wanting it.

Learn to read you wanna be 'know it all' before you write something stupid like that. The OP wants a qualified teacher, qualified to teach several subjects, not any old backpacker that can teach. That's why we were saying the salary is way too low. But you are right, any backpacker who can teach would most likely jump at that offer, but a backpacker and a qualified teacher who can teach several subjects are two different things. Putting an ad up at Khao San for a qualified teacher who will accept that offer LOL. Go back to sleep...............

"backpacker who happens to be a teacher....well I don't know about who thinks they can read but that would imply qualified to me?

...same as in...

"happens to be a doctor

happens to be an engineer

happens to be an illiterate....

So then are you claiming that all teachers are qualified teachers? Is the sky red? If you are suggesting that if someone happens to be X then they are also a qualified X, you obviosuly lack life experience. I'm sure if you went into many of the schools around Thailand and checked teachers credentials that you would find many illegal teachers and people who are unqualified to teach. A lot of the backpackers from Khao San apply for teaching jobs without any qualifications, but once they get the job, does that make them qualified? I don't think so. According to you it dose................. Why bother studying to get qualifications to be a teacher if I will automatically become a qualified teacher once I land a teaching job? See you all tomorrow, I'm returning to Thailand to teach whith the knowledge that being a teacher also makes me a qualified teacher.

In so far as the purposes of this ad...yes......within norms of recruitment all Doctors are qualified etc are you suggesting that only fraudulent people will reply? actually what ARE you talking about?????

I will speak slowly for you. There are many teachers teaching in Thailand. There are many un-qualified teachers teaching in Thailand. Therefore, not all teachers that are teaching in Thailand are qualified. Just because you are or claim to be a teacher, doesn't mean that you're a qualified teacher. The OP wants a qualified teacher. A backpackpacker who can teach and claims to be a teacher doesn't necessarily mean that they are a qualified teacher. Thats all. A lot of fraudsters in Thailand, which is the norm there anyway :D

I'm sure you speak slowly...even a drawl...but I'm not sure you know what a qualification is..... :o

Edited by wilko

Degree plus PGCE or a B.Ed. from the UK.

3 year plus 1 from Aus.

Plus recent police check, covering at least the last 5 years and work history. Police check to cover all countries - check the passport.

All this has to be verifiable and not simply by phone.

Written references are totally unacceptable. Anyone prepared to put their kids in the charge of someone who has not covered the above is not just mad but totally irresponsible.

Sounds harsh but any bona fide teacher will have this stuff sorted.

Not sure on US requirements, but this is the given for UK and Aus schools and agencies.

pip pip

Sure, you're right. If things were done as they should be it'd be bloody difficult to get a job teaching in Thailand. But then shouldn't it be. Anywhere in the world?????

These are your kids you're talking about. If you're happy having a swirly headed Canadian (no offence to Canadians, but you know who I mean) working with your two boys then fine. That's your call. If you can't be bothered to check, fine.

Just don't be suprised if it all becomes a tad unpleasant.

Good luck.

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons.

Thanks everyone, some really useful tips on checking these applicants out.

We are very lucky as we know the head of an International school in Bangkok who has offered to do the checks for us but your right, anyone you let into your home you need to have throughly vetted!! What about the maid......she could be a mass murderer!!!!! Anyway the tutor will never be on his/her own with the kids. Ever!!

Teacher required to accompany warm, vibrant british family to (probably) Samui from April-end July. Responsibilities would include teaching one 10 year old (little git and a handful, so any academic progress unexpected and welcomed!) and preparing a 14 year old for forthcoming GCSEs (maths, science, English etc). Remuneration will include all travel and normal living expenses, along with a very good cash wage . You will be joining us on an extended holiday in a large, luxury house/apartment with a maid. Only expect 25-30 hours teaching per week, and mucking-in elsewhere. Would prefer someone with science/maths experience/degree. A personality would also be an attractive asset and a sporty nature would help you jell with the lads, as well as with mum-n-dad. The lads will resume their normal academic timetable in September. Please send a CV to: Kath Parsons.

Thanks everyone, some really useful tips on checking these applicants out.

We are very lucky as we know the head of an International school in Bangkok who has offered to do the checks for us but your right, anyone you let into your home you need to have throughly vetted!! What about the maid......she could be a mass murderer!!!!! Anyway the tutor will never be on his/her own with the kids. Ever!!

Your flippancy is cool but concerning. Good luck to you whatever you decide. Let's hope it all works out for the best.

As Jandajoy has stated.............those are the checks you should be doing.

I think it unlikely though that you will get a well qualified teacher for that period of time ( probably already employed ) and one who is prepared to put his neck on the line for a position that does not carry a Work Permit. IMHO

Personally I think it is great that they have decided to offer someone the oppertunity to go and stay in Thailand with them whilst teaching their sons. How many people in the UK would love to go and live / teach in Thailand, but are scared of getting there, finding no work, having no one to talk to and no where to stay.

The OP has stated they will be offered a room, a great family to share the experience with - if they choose, travelling costs and some good experience in teaching kids in a foreign country. She has stated a wage and left it open for people who are interested, if people are interested, they will apply (she said she has had 4 already!!!) and if they are not they won't... I don't see why people are jumping down her throat...

Luckily as she has said, she is british and has the sense of humor to take it all and has taken any constructive advice. Good luck finding a teacher and I hope you have a great time in Thailand :o

What about the maid......she could be a mass murderer!!!!! Anyway the tutor will never be on his/her own with the kids. Ever!!

Aren't you aware that most Thai females are more mentally unstable and more likely to be mass murderers than maids from other cultures? :o

You had also better increase the teachers hourly rate even more now; not all teachers like being kept under constant watch whilst teaching. You need to allow for an aditional 1500 - 2500 THB per teaching hour if you intend to supervise your qualified teacher :D

What about the maid......she could be a mass murderer!!!!! Anyway the tutor will never be on his/her own with the kids. Ever!!

Aren't you aware that most Thai females are more mentally unstable and more likely to be mass murderers than maids from other cultures? :o

You had also better increase the teachers hourly rate even more now; not all teachers like being kept under constant watch whilst teaching. You need to allow for an aditional 1500 - 2500 THB per teaching hour if you intend to supervise your qualified teacher :D

Ha Ha!........ Argh!!! If you only knew me Aussiestyle1983........We were only looking for tutor to keep the lads uptodate with their school work for a few hours each day. We'll bring most of the material we need and have the support of their teachers only an email away. I've got my hands full with an 18month old girl so I won't have the time or desire to spy!! Now stop teasing me!! Anyway, it looks as though we've found the person. You better watch your back, your married to a thai girl arent you?? icon1.gif

Whata bunch of 'know it all's' and we are better and deserve <deleted> loads more than that.

You know what, any backpacker that happens to be a teacher would probably jump at the chance.

Work permit, yeah good one.

Go put this ad up on lonely planet or some such other websites that is not full of up em self people. If you were in Bkk for some time prior to samui, you could probably place ads in Kao san rd area and get heaps of people wanting it.

I agree, and lets face it the OP has said that there will be a maid/nanny, that they do not expect much progress from the 10 yr old and that they simply want to keep the 14 year on track. I mean after all it is a family holiday not rocket science :o i get the feeling that some of our tv friends are taking this post far too seriously regarding teacher value. imho the op has offered a good gig for the right person she/he is not trying to define the value of teachers she/he is simply posting a job op.

Yes, some of us 'teachers' take our jobs too seriously. Like DOCTORS do. You might have thought a doctor's wife advertising in the teaching forum for a QUALIFIED TEACHER wanted something more than a babysitter from Khao Sahn Road. It shows that one man's 'qualified' is another man's streetsweeper. I thought the GMFSCE tests were important, and that a little git might be as much of a handful as some of my own kids and students used to be.

Pretty much typical of Thailand: one poerson things you actulaly have to teach sompeiotuyhing and other foks thing it doesn t matter so lohng as you have fun on the island.

Ha Ha!........ Argh!!! If you only knew me Aussiestyle1983........We were only looking for tutor to keep the lads uptodate with their school work for a few hours each day. We'll bring most of the material we need and have the support of their teachers only an email away. I've got my hands full with an 18month old girl so I won't have the time or desire to spy!! Now stop teasing me!! Anyway, it looks as though we've found the person. You better watch your back, your married to a thai girl arent you?? icon1.gif

Dis aussiestylz thai wife. Aussiestylz not samart. He go work, stay log in thaivias. hahah. I find post say thai girl carzy. anyhow, aussiestylz meet knife when cum home today. no man call me crazy thai girl. thanku for making me aware how he think me crazy. he dead now! farang bah!

Just wanted to thank everyone for one of the most entertaining threads we've had in the Teacher's Forum for awhile... I've done some editing to get the thread more in line with forum policy on email addresses. Now, with the demise of Aussiestyle1983 at the hands of his wife (who I hope we will see continue posting here, as she has a sharp and penetrating point of view), I think it's time to wind the thread down.

"S"

:o