Don Chedi – Suphan Buri 2008

Kan Win

Show time and dates below:-

large.jpg

Don Chedi Monument

This is located at Amphoe Don Chedi, 31 kilometres from the township area. The pagoda was constructed by the Royal Command of King Naresuan the Great to commemorate his victory against King Maha Uparacha of Burma in single-handed elephant back combat in 1592. A cast statue of King Naresuan the Great mounting the elephant's neck was placed in front of the pagoda.

Don Chedi Memorial - annual fair

This annual fair is held for about 10 or so days to commemorate the historic event at Don Chedi in 1592 that led to the liberation of the kingdom from foreign occupation. The celebration commences on the 18th of January 2008, as 25th of January is regarded as the Royal Thai Armed Forces Day, with historical exhibitions and outdoor entertainment until 1st of February 2008.

Activities include a light and sound show of the elephant fight, a fair of both government and private organizations, and other stage performances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went yesterday and it was better than last year’s show.

100 Baht per person for both Thai and Non-Thai’s. Show lasted more than 1 hour sitting on the concrete steps of the little stadium there.

Worth a trip. Mosquito repellent is a must BTW.

Will post some photo on Monday.

Yours truly, :o

Kan Win :D

Suphan has a bloody history as it is in the path of burmese armies that invaded to get to Ayutthaya that was the old capitol. There was a battle there involving old people, women and children when the men were lured out by a tricky burmese general...their sacrifice is commemorated every year.

Really weird as I lived in Cochabamba in Bolivia where the same thing happened between the local defenders and the Spanish army that came to squash 'the rebellion' in the early 1800's. Every year there is a 'desfile'...a march to the peak of the place outside of town where the defenders were slaughtered. with sticks and rocks they fought to the last person standing just like in Suphan. Special for me as I buried my mom in the general cementary in the shadow of the monument.

somehow, I can see the same determination and courage in my wife's face and her mother's...I respect them...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My question is what is the difference between a Chedi and a Wat?

My thinking is the a "Chedi" is a "Pagoda" and a "Wat" is a "Temple".

Nakon Pathom - Phra Pathom Chedi

large.jpg

Kan Win :o

Hi "soundman",

Thank you for the added photos taken on the 17th Jan then as that was the Un-dressed rehersal :D

My wife told me that we go on Friday 18th to the full preformance and sure the misses was correct. :o

So these are the folks that you work with them?

As I mentioned earlier

Went yesterday and it was better than last year’s show.
both lights and SOUND also.

Great work.

Yours truly,

Hi "soundman",

Thank you for the added photos taken on the 17th Jan then as that was the Un-dressed rehersal :D

My wife told me that we go on Friday 18th to the full preformance and sure the misses was correct. :o

So these are the folks that you work with them?

As I mentioned earlier

Went yesterday and it was better than last year's show.
both lights and SOUND also.

Great work.

Yours truly,

Thanx Kan,

One of my larger customers & general business associate. Great show, even for visitors who don't understand the story of the history of the events portrayed. Plenty of action including sword fights with real sparks, a crocodile, war elephants, mounted soldiers, the storming of a fort & subsequent fire & many other great scenes performed by students of local schools. If anybody is in the area it is well worth a visit & an evening out.

Sorry the photos were a little "in the dark". :D

Cheers,

Soundman. :D