Aids In Eissan

chevykanteve

Perhaps a logical explanation lies with the the sex trade HIV testing program. Karaoke bars are not necessarily clasified as "adult entertainment" venues. As such, there is no regular testing of the workers as there is in the designated areas.

However, does one really want to end up in bed with someone picked up from a karaoke bar? How'd one live that down?

Karaoke bar, beer bar, coctail bar, GoGo bar, Shingashong bar, pub, disco, nightclub, massage parlour, restaurant, 7/11, or anywhere!

I do not see the difference. If you don't practice "safety first" ........... you're living a hazardous life :o !

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a logical explanation lies with the the sex trade HIV testing program. Karaoke bars are not necessarily clasified as "adult entertainment" venues. As such, there is no regular testing of the workers as there is in the designated areas.

However, does one really want to end up in bed with someone picked up from a karaoke bar? How'd one live that down?

As long as she can sing OK, does one care? :o

Several nurses/administrators at government hospitals in the Northeast have recently shown me figures regarding AIDS amongst locals, provenance of the disease, etc. Beware karaoke bars.

One point not mentioned so far is in the OP's first few words. "Several nurses/administrators at government hospitals in the Northeast" What was he doing going to several hospitals and asking about this problem, or even to one place where several administrators happened to have their data available and would show it to him? Just doesn't ring true to me. Oh yes, the general warning is valid enough but seems like he has a mission to scare

Lungbing, are you serious?

Edited by chevykanteve

Several nurses/administrators at government hospitals in the Northeast have recently shown me figures regarding AIDS amongst locals, provenance of the disease, etc. Beware karaoke bars.

One point not mentioned so far is in the OP's first few words. "Several nurses/administrators at government hospitals in the Northeast" What was he doing going to several hospitals and asking about this problem, or even to one place where several administrators happened to have their data available and would show it to him? Just doesn't ring true to me. Oh yes, the general warning is valid enough but seems like he has a mission to scare

Well it kind of reminds me of the "Kidnappers In Roi-et Area, Watch Your Children" thread that you started last year, so I think Lungbing has a point. :o

Well it kind of reminds me of the "Kidnappers In Roi-et Area, Watch Your Children" thread that you started last year, so I think Lungbing has a point. :o

Karaoke singing, kidnappers with aids.

For those that do worry, put a condom on yout microphone.

• 1 month later...

I just caught your response now, Ken. Please explain what you mean by that. If you were drunk at the time (and quite frankly, your post sounds like it), then nevermind. If you're a farang (or Thai) bar owner in Eissan and my thread hit too close to home, well, tough. The fact is that many Thai bar-girls who have been confirmed HIV+ are available for idiotic customers on street corners and in the vicinity of certain karaoka bars (ooooooouuuuuuuuu, would I LOVE to be more specific).

Edited by chevykanteve

I just caught your response now, Ken. Please explain what you mean by that. If you were drunk at the time (and quite frankly, your post sounds like it), then nevermind. If you're a farang (or Thai) bar owner in Eissan and my thread hit too close to home, well, tough. The fact is that many Thai bar-girls who have been confirmed HIV+ are available for idiotic customers on street corners and in the vicinity of certain karaoka bars (ooooooouuuuuuuuu, would I LOVE to be more specific).

Nope, not drunk not that it should matter (and really don't see how my post "sounded drunk"). Actually maybe when you started this thread you were drunk. :D As Lungbing says, "seems like he has a mission to scare", and that statement reminded me of your "kidnapper" thread which IMHO was without much merit in the terms of factual information....about the same as this thread.

So you wanted me to "explain", but somehow I bet you don't like my response. Oh well.

And as Jeff1 says.....very simply....if you are going to sing ....."put a condom on your micropone". :D

Well it kind of reminds me of the "Kidnappers In Roi-et Area, Watch Your Children" thread that you started last year, so I think Lungbing has a point. :D

Nope, not drunk not that it should matter (and really don't see how my post "sounded drunk"). Actually maybe when you started this thread you were drunk. :DAs Lungbing says, "seems like he has a mission to scare", and that statement reminded me of your "kidnapper" thread which IMHO was without much merit in the terms of factual information....about the same as this thread.

So you wanted me to "explain", but somehow I bet you don't like my response. Oh well.

And as Jeff1 says.....very simply....if you are going to sing ....."put a condom on your micropone". :D

:o Feel better now, Kenny boy?

Chevy --- you are talking about using professional sex-workers. Wow an increased chance of exposure to HIV? Ya think?

While I don't consider this to be scare mongering ... It is just kinda silly! When playing in a potentially dirty pool ... everyone should wear protective garments! duh!

Chevy --- you are talking about using professional sex-workers. Wow an increased chance of exposure to HIV? Ya think?

While I don't consider this to be scare mongering ... It is just kinda silly! When playing in a potentially dirty pool ... everyone should wear protective garments! duh!

There should be 2 rules about posting on political topics!

1) Have a brain that is not put in idle .....

and

2) Have a sense of humor!

There should be 2 rules about posting on political topics!

1) Have a brain that is not put in idle .....

and

2) Have a sense of humor!

Good advice there that perhaps you should follow yourself. :o

• 4 months later...

Why Karaoke bars, can you get infected from the mic or something?

I won't say your response is inane. It's obviously well thought out and logical.

More relevant would be Beware commercial unprotected sex!

Even more relevant would be Beware unprotected sex!

On a more serious note. I think I have come up with a solution to the problem. These karaoke girls can seriously infect your ears when you hear them sing with a new strain of HIV (Hear In Voice) so use a condom.......on yer head!

Method can be seen here with the AID of the attached photo. :o

post-16973-1217681572_thumb.jpg

Edited by jay-uk

On a more serious note. I think I have come up with a solution to the problem. These karaoke girls can seriously infect your ears when you hear them sing with a new strain of HIV (Hear In Voice) so use a condom.......on yer head!

Method can be seen here with the AID of the attached photo. :o

Now I understand why Huggybear could only get the condom halfway down :D

Is that really you Huggy - doesn't look a bit like your avatar !

Most farangs dont go to Karaoke bars - so this more thai or other asian thing. :o Always wear your mate - that can eliminate most problems concerning shagging.

Could argue (but I wont) that ED is a possible exception.

Most farangs dont go to Karaoke bars - so this more thai or other asian thing. :o Always wear your mate - that can eliminate most problems concerning shagging.

Could argue (but I wont) that ED is a possible exception.

Mr ED

They shoot horses don't they..... especially ones that can talk and try to express an opinion about pregnancy, or avoiding it, is not the only reason to wear a mac in the rain.

I'll try to make a far more serious comment in the morning.

wot is the correct spelling of issarn?

this is the one and only correct spelling: อีสาน

there is no official transliteration of the Thai language and therefore nothing like a correct or incorrect spelling using the Roman alphabet...

How refreshing to see a post like this. I agree 100%, as I have been trying to convince people about the same kind of thing concerning Chinese or any other language which does not use our 26 letter alphabet. As for "romanization" of Thai, Chinese, Khymer, etc. I usually follow the most commonly used spelling, such as "Isaan".

• 1 month later...
had a guy from work head out to thailand a couple of weeks ago for his first trip & the best advice I gave him was if in doubt double bag it :o

It's quite a common brit phrase, never knew that about the goats though :D

"Double Bagging"....isn't that where you end with a girl soooooooooooo ugly that you use two carrier bags; one for her head and one for your head, in case hers falls off ?

The brown bread eating sandal wearing lesbian save the world types would have you believe this is only a farang problem and tell us how we are belittleing thai women in general,same as cambodia, it was here way before we came,.im not condoning it, just making an experienced comment to those with none,.

The serious point trying to get out in this thread is that our stereotype of HIV/AIDS as a phenomenon that mainly affects the bars of Pattaya and Bangkok and has little significance in the rural provinces, is wide of the mark. The condom use campaigns of the 1990s seem to have reduced prevalence in the Western resorts, while the decrease in rates seems to have been slower in commercial sex establishments away from the big centres, where it is said that there is greater cultural resistance to condom use. Additionally the latest trend seems to be an increase in incidence among 'low risk' groups, most notably women who do not have large numbers of sexual contacts, but are infected through their husbands or regular boy friends. Other recent trends are greater awareness of infection among drug users and men who have sex with men.

Some of this is mentioned here:

http://www.unaids.org/en/KnowledgeCentre/H...a/GlobalReport/

One thing to realise is that we only have indirect means of estimating HIV/AIDS prevalence in the general population. It is possible to investigate high-risk groups like drug users, commercial sex workers and male clients of STD clinics, or sub-groups from the general population like women in antenatal clinics, army conscripts, foreign migrants or blood donors, but one ends up with a partial jigsaw picture and quite a lot of guess work. I wasn't able to find a recent breakdown of prevalence rates in Thai provinces but last time I looked Northern Region and parts of Central Region were worse than either Isaan or the Bangkok Metropolitan Area. I remember being told some years ago by a researcher in this field that Rayong (a centre for migration) has a bigger problem than Pattaya. There are some 'hot spots' in the NE, which last time I looked included Udon. Here is an interesting web-based article.

http://www.jcie.org/researchpdfs/RisingTide/thailand.pdf

My wifes elder sister had never been with another man in her life, .her husband went to work in indonesia and contacted HIV,came back gave it to my poor sister in law that has just died from full blown aids,.to quote a line from an elton john song " if there is a god in heaven what is he waiting for "

What are the figures. would be interested ro know, please make it common knowledge