3 Estonian men involved in violence on Pattaya Walking Street

Pattaya_Fox

You can try and rationalise it or compare it with other countries problems, but this is an all time low.

I agree - Walking Street is a sleazy place.

WALKING STREET IS A SLEAZY PLACE,

In the many years i have been in thailand,i have seen walking st go from a adult disneyland, to a brutal agressive expensive anything goes shit hole of a thourist spot, with no one really knowing who is coming and who is going there, i for one will not be frequenting any of the new bars or clubs on walking st any longer, and i am REALLY thinking of a new town if not country to move to,

and its a real shame, because there are so many farang trying to do so much for pattaya, but sorry guys, its like the drug wars of the eighties, YOU JUST CANT WIN THIS ONE, but good luck for trying.

Walking Street may be a Sleazy place but after all that, who made it that way? Most of the bars and clubs are owned by Falangs. Most of the bars and clubs are frequented by Falangs.

People frequent this area because this is what they are looking for, otherwise, they wouldn't go there. It's basically supply and demand! If there wasn't the demand for the sleaze, walking street wouldn't exist. As it is, Walking Street and it's owners are doing very well thank you.

As for the touts and barkers they are just trying to make money off the rich falangs who go there and yes, they will protect themselves and fellow touts and barkers because they all think that the rich falang can just go to the ATM to get more cash when they need it but if they don't earn money on a daily basis, they don't eat.

I can imagine what is manifesting in the brains of the touts and barkers when they see, on a daily basis, falangs, drunken and abusive or not walking around this area thinking they can do anything they want and have anything they want because they have money.

Although I don't condone what has happened to these three Estonians, I do understand.

We, as falangs have made this place what it is today. Congrats' all round.

Now, now, don't be silly.

Naka.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking Street may be a Sleazy place but after all that, who made it that way? Most of the bars and clubs are owned by Falangs. Most of the bars and clubs are frequented by Falangs.

Now, now, don't be silly.

Naka.

I think that statement was a slight misunderstanding Naka. I'm sure he realises that pretty much all of WS is Thai owned, and that all those farang "owners" are in fact just renting or leasing the properties that their bars/clubs operate in.

I recall a couple of news articles not too long ago where the pictures showed the owners of many of the clubs and bars, and there was barely a farang face to be seen (maybe they didn't get the notices about the meetings, or just didn't show up for them).

As for WS being sleazy, I can tell you from personal experience that the Red Light District in Amsterdam and the Reeperbahn in Hamburg are sleazier (and more dangerous) than Walking Street. The same for certain clubs in Budapest.

As for "who made it that way" ? Well, that is like the ancient question of which came first, the chicken or the egg ? Considering that P4P is commonly referred to as the second oldest profession, one would be hard pressed to lay the blame for the situation in Pattaya on farang tourists.

In Pattaya's case, one could lay the blame on the influx of GI's during the Vietnam area. Bunches of randy soldiers sent to a peaceful little fishing village for some R&R and encountering gorgeous (and very friendly) young women. No doubt that demand quickly outstripped supply and the next thing you know, hordes of sweet, innocent farm girls began descending upon the city.

So, who is to blame ? The first "farang" visitors with money to burn, or the first of the "BGs" yearning to earn ?

There seems to me to be a very common theme in most of the violence we read about... alcohol! It is the root of many evils and should be illegal.

:o What strange church you belong too?

I don't belong to any church. I'm a free thinker thank you. :D But, it's hard to deny that alcohol is so dangerous and responsible for so much of the violence.

Absolutly, ban alcohol and hand out E pills!

It really does amaze me, some of the comments that you guys come out with in this forum.

How the hel_l can you defend the actions of these Thai’s???? No matter what the falang’s in this case have been up to, does it deserve this reaction from the Thai’s?? a group of 15 fellas beating up 3 farang’s with weapons, ie steal bars and broken bottles.

How can you say…..well they (the farang’s) returned to the Thai’s so they deserved it!

Why do people in this forum blindly defend the Thai’s when it is obvious that they have greatly fcuked up! Why didn’t the Thai’s inform the tourist police that there were a group of foreigners misbehaving instead of taking matters into their own hands???

Yes I do live in Thailand, and Yes I am married to a Thai and yes I do have a child to my Thai wife….but this has not blinded me, and if I believe that they are wrong I will say so!

If you ask any sensible Thai if this is the kind of behavior that they are happy hearing about, I know there response/reaction and it will be utter embarrassment! So how can you guys defend them?

Also reading the thread, some members believe that as falang’s because we earn more money we should just willingly give it up to Thai’s because that’s just the way it is and that’s what they expect!! What the hel_l!! Why???!!

Most Falang work long and hard for their cash, and save hard for a holiday over here so why just give your money away??? A lot of the Thai’s on Walking Street would have a heart attack at the thought of working the hours you did to earn it!

The problem is some falang are too weak, and the walking street crowd prey on this.

Looking forward to your constructive comments!

Desertcam

Think you have missed the point mate, not talking about numbers here....taking about the rights and wrongs of the situation.

If you are a frequent visitor, wrong place wrong time it could be you on the end of one of these beatings one day! And I would love to hear you defend their actions then.

Think you have missed the point mate, not talking about numbers here....taking about the rights and wrongs of the situation.

If you are a frequent visitor, wrong place wrong time it could be you on the end of one of these beatings one day! And I would love to hear you defend their actions then.

I think you miss the point- these lads would have been fine if they hadnt decided to return and look for the lads they had a quarrel with.

Fortunately for me mate, I have common sense and I can guaranteed you I've never once come close to such an event and I never will. Too bloody smart!!! :o

Yeah Britmaveric, seems to me like you are a bit of a smart bloke, as well as being a know it all!

Again, in your last quote you are pointing the finger of blame at the Falang! You are quite unique in this department, you amuse me!

Oh, and please keep the pearls of wisdom coming! :D

Desertcam :o

Yeah Britmaveric, seems to me like you are a bit of a smart bloke, as well as being a know it all!

Again, in your last quote you are pointing the finger of blame at the Falang! You are quite unique in this department, you amuse me!

Oh, and please keep the pearls of wisdom coming! :D

Desertcam :D

Im sorry i have to agree with brit, their mistake was going back, nobody said they deserved it, only that it could have been avoided, they put their head in the crocodiles mouth in my opinion :o

Wouldn't it be nice if foreigners could travel to strange new countries, pick fights with the locals, and the locals would obligingly queue up one-on-one, even if they were clearly at a size disadvantage, just to make things easier for the foreigners ?

I've thought back over all the fights I've been in (during my school years, my military time and as a civilian), and most have been one-on-ones (luckily for me). But as I recall other fights that I've witnessed over the years, invariably they have involved out-numbered situations (3 on 1, 4 on 2, 5 on 3, etc).

Note that the majority of those fights were in Canada (and a couple while I was posted in Germany years back).

I don't think I've ever seen a fight where members of the larger group stood aside to "make things fair".

As for this case, one thing that sticks in my mind is the fact that despite the (usual) large numbers of farangs that would normally be in that area at the same time, none of them apparently made any attempt to help out. Those that were in the area probably just stood back and watched.

Another thing that comes to mind. What if the other Thais in the area hadn't pitched in to help their countrymen. What if the 3 Estonians beat the living crap out of 3 (much smaller) Thais and then ran off into the night ?

Would everyone be feeling sympathetic towards them (the Estonians) after that ? Or would the criticisms be aimed at the farang "lager louts and hooligans" stirring up trouble again ?

Maybe not in Canada? But in the UK if you kick someone half to death whilst there on the floor your going on holiday for a few years.. :o

Westerners usually fight till their down and then thats the end of it, Thai's seem to like running up and taking sucker kicks etc till people are either dead or unconcious and don't care if they were involved in the initial dispute or not. Its not only westerners they do this to but each other also, like a pack of dogs..

Edited by TopDogger

Maybe not in Canada? But in the UK if you kick someone half to death whilst there on the floor your going on holiday for a few years.. :o

...but then they are usually out on remand after a few months.

Westerners usually fight till their down and then thats the end of it, Thai's seem to like running up and taking sucker kicks etc till people are either dead or unconcious and don't care if they were involved in the initial dispute or not. Its not only westerners they do this to but each other also, like a pack of dogs..

...and then there's the recently released video from Aberdeen cctv that shows people (including women) repeatedly stamping and jumping on the unconscious victims heads.

Marquis of Queensbury rules my arse.

Which video?

It was on the BBC/UK/Scotland news website about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The police released the video in an effort to get the public to pressure the local licensing authorities to stop handing out new liquor licenses. Pretty graphic stuff.

...but then they are usually out on remand after a few months.

Which is a little better than a few minutes.

But still means bugger all to the victim. I am not defending Thai-style dogpack fighting; I have been a victim of it. I am just saying that alcohol-fueled violence is pretty bad in countries that can't use the "3rd world status" defence. It probably sounds cliche but I would feel safer walking home in south Pattaya than I would on Union Street, Aberdeen on a Saturday night.

Which video?

It was on the BBC/UK/Scotland news website about 2 or 3 weeks ago. The police released the video in an effort to get the public to pressure the local licensing authorities to stop handing out new liquor licenses. Pretty graphic stuff.

If it was on the BBC website......the last thing it would be is " graphic "

Which video?

If it was on the BBC website......the last thing it would be is " graphic "

How about 'graphic enough for me'? I found it quite disturbing to watch and that was just the short clip the BBC posted.

Maybe there's something to be said for the 'in your face' Thai media approach to crime scene photography. On the other hand maybe it tends to dumb down the audience and the message, if any is lost.

• 3 years later...

With the possibility of hundreds of thousands of displaced, penniless and potentially hungry Thais arriving in Pattaya from Bangkok over the coming days and weeks, foreigners are well advised not to underestimate the pent up contempt and dislike of many of them for "farang" and their propensity to extreme violence.

Be careful out there.

With the possibility of hundreds of thousands of displaced, penniless and potentially hungry Thais arriving in Pattaya from Bangkok over the coming days and weeks, foreigners are well advised not to underestimate the pent up contempt and dislike of many of them for "farang" and their propensity to extreme violence.

Be careful out there.

Thanks Sgt Esterhouse, I feel you may be right. They always have to find someone to blame as they of course, can't ever be wrong, that would lose face. I haven't noticed any of the 'Dunkirk Spirit' in them, but I suppose that is long gone in England too.

The incident, which is now a murder investigation, occurred only meters away from the Tourist Police Unit.

So the guys didn't want to go in the bar, the Thais got hostile, the guys make a complaint and are told to take it to the police station.

Basically a big FO.

The guys get angry and return to sort it out themselves as they see that the authorities aren't interested.

They are outnumbered 5 to 1, viciously beaten and one murdered within metres of the Tourist police point and no one is held responsible.

What a f@cking sick country Thailand has turned into.

You can try and rationalise it or compare it with other countries problems, but this is an all time low.

Edited by carmine