Songkran In Aytthaya 2008

Emxily

I am thinking of heading to Aytthaya for Songkran this year as my sister is visiting and it would kill 2 birds with one stone.

Anyone know when the festival begins there? And which day would be best to go? Not so interested in the rituals but the water fight and processions sound like fun! I just can't find a date to go, and is it best to go on the first, middle or last day??? I have no idea :o

OR, anyone suggest another location? Nearish to Bangkok where we can stay here or go for a night or two?

Thanks,

Emily

Hey This question still stands.......

I know nothing about Songkran. I would love to go for s day but do not want to go and miss the fun if i go on the wrong day. Which day should i go? The 13th is a Sunday, will they celerbate on the 12th on the saturday too, or do they just celebrate on the actual dates of songkran?

Ayutthaya isn't a particularly "fun" destination for Songkran. However, if you hang around downtown on any of the days of the festival you will get dirty water thrown over you by youths on the back of a pickup with supersoakers and a large oil drum full of klong water. Can't say I've seen any processions in the few years I've been here, though. If you really want to get soaked, head for somewhere like Chiang Mai.

As for me, I'll be out of the country for the "festivities".