Phuket's Officials

lordofdelusion

This week I read in the Phuket Gazette and the Phuket Post, articles about the problems facing Phuket. I'll try to summarize, basically traffic, crime, the fleecing of tourists and their many complaints to officials, and of course the tuk tuks. From Police officials to government officials, tourism officials etc; all agree on the problems and all say essential not our fault, out of our control. This is the most impotent bunch I've ever seen. I especially liked the comment from the anonymous police official in the Post regarding the tuk tuks "Essentially, right now,these groups are above the law." His excuse was that if the police arrest any of them the others get very angry! Are you kidding me? :o So the physical assaults or ripoffs continue. In the Gazette the police official spoke briefly about crime, I'm understaffed, more people coming blah blah. He did remind us farangs that we should wear shirts while driving :D <deleted>!!

I don't know if this will survive the mods, but hey, their words are in print for all to see. So maybe this is just SOS. I've only been here 18 months so maybe it was always this way. Any longtimers have any comments? Is the lack of a permanent national goverment to blame? Skip the "go home if you don't like it" reply.