Any Idea's?

Tatler

Simple - The locals have no concept of traffic regulations and/or safety. That along with their inbred lack of driving skills is a recipe for accidents.

I agree with this first sentence but I think the second is rather harsh... :o

I think when you grow up around cars and motorbikes you become skilled in driving them. Thais are not bad drivers..they're just not educated or regulated in such a way that they follow a predictable driving pattern.

Simple - The locals have no concept of traffic regulations and/or safety. That along with their inbred lack of driving skills is a recipe for accidents.

I think when you grow up around cars and motorbikes you become skilled in driving them. Thais are not bad drivers..they're just not educated or regulated in such a way that they follow a predictable driving pattern.

Chris, spend a few hours at a driving test centre and watch them going around the course. They're on the pavement, knocking bollards over and as for hill starts and reversing, hysterical to watch. And then after doing all that, they're then issued with a licence allowing them legally on the road! - they (the vast majority) have no concept whatsoever.

Edited by South

Chris, spend a few hours at a driving test centre and watch them going around the course. They're on the pavement, knocking bollards over and as for hill starts and reversing, hysterical to watch. And then after doing all that, they're then issued with a licence allowing them legally on the road! - they (the vast majority) have no concept whatsoever.

Is this because they have no formal training or are you suggesting that Thais are genetically inferior?

Is this because they have no formal training or are you suggesting that Thais are genetically inferior?

Not suggesting anything - just stating that their driving skills leave a lot to be desired. The lack of training certainly plays a big part in that.

Thais are genetically inferior

Chris78, why would you suggest that?? deep down you think that, don't you?? :D

Thais are genetically inferior

Chris78, why would you suggest that?? deep down you think that, don't you?? :D

Nice try Hedgehog...In fact I did not suggest that...My view is that poor driving habits are simply a result of lack of formal training and regulation...and nothing else.

I was trying to gauge what other posters were suggesting...i.e...do people agree that it's purely a lack of conditioning...or something more?

Long hours, no sleep, lots of whiskey and rice whiskey will do that to the road, guess who is to blame...

The road I would say, turn like that....

Snowflake!! Do you have roads in Norway?? what happens when you crash your reindeer?? I'm sure i saw that on the discovery channel a few days ago... :o:D

Long hours, no sleep, lots of whiskey and rice whiskey will do that to the road, guess who is to blame...

The road I would say, turn like that....

It might have been Snowflake's girlfriend driving .... she is quite famous now for her driving skills!

:o:D:D

Well atleast she does not fall asleep behind the wheel on her way down, or fall off a wave riding over a 5 cm ROADBLOCK...

Atleast she did not hurt anyone...

Girls cant drive for S5it... What is your excuse???

Ha ha, coming from Mr I fall off twice in 10 minutes, that sounds pretty good!

:D:D

:o

Could be many reasons, was it the bus with a fault? Was it the bus driver in the drivers seat? Was the driver taken ill?

Also have no idea why most people think Thais are bad drivers ? WHY ?

Maybe you have never been anywhere other than your home country and Thailand ?

I have a car + been driving here for 4 years, and find the Thai drivers much better drivers than some Countries I have visited + lived in.

Edited by ignis

Also have no idea why most people think Thais are bad drivers ? WHY ?

Maybe you have never been anywhere other than your home country and Thailand ?

I have a car + been driving here for 4 years, and find the Thai drivers much better drivers than some Countries I have visited + lived in.

Good point. I think that people naturally compare thai driving habits with those of there home (typically western) countries.

Places like: England, America, Australia etc... have very regulated traffic conditions, with heavy fines where laws are broken. Also, before you obtain your licence, you are required to undergo a fairly comprehensive testing system. These factors, along with expensive advertising campaigns promoting road safety, contribute to the relatively organised traffic conditions that exist in many western countries.

There are many other countries that do not share the same rigorous training systems. I don't think you would have to look too far to find a country with worse driving than Thailand. Try comparing Thailand with other SE Asian countries instead of much richer western countries.

Also, I know plenty of farangs who have had accidents here as a result of their own poor driving, not the Thais around them. Some of the reasons for this are: you can drive here without a licence, you can drive here when you're drunk, you can ride a large motorcycle when you've had no experience on one, you can drive as fast as you like..etc...

These are the things that contribute to accidents. Imagine if these things were acceptable in your home country...do you think there might be a few more accidents on the roads?

Also, I know plenty of farangs who have had accidents here as a result of their own poor driving, not the Thais around them. Some of the reasons for this are: you can drive here without a licence, you can drive here when you're drunk, you can ride a large motorcycle when you've had no experience on one, you can drive as fast as you like..etc...

T

Sounds like you are tring to get VTR to bite... Well, good luck but I have to say that even if he did ride like a maniac he did have full control over the bike! (untill he hit the stupid woman on the wave that only tried to cross the road..)

T

Sounds like you are tring to get VTR to bite... Well, good luck but I have to say that even if he did ride like a maniac he did have full control over the bike! (untill he hit the stupid woman on the wave that only tried to cross the road..)

Nah, only been riding bikes for longer than he's been alive, so I'm not going to bite. I'll have a chat with him later.

:o

T

I'm not referring to anybody specific. I'm making a generalisation. Thais are not the only bad drivers in Thailand. Don't take it personally.