Flower Borders

sinom

A little help from those in the know , if possible please.

I have a small strip of public land outside of my house wall, running along the Soi. approx 1m wide by 25m long.

I've put a sprinkler system in and planted some "pakpuangthong" (sp?) and some "bird". The basic plan is to grow some "hardy, self sufficient plants" to add a bit of colour etc. As this is in the public domain with a fair chance that a truck may drive over them or somebody might steal them, but hey ho ! give it a go !

I've just added some "hoy klaeng ?????" - a small spikey purple and green, non flowering plant - I'm told these will survive well? they seem to be doing OK and growing quickly.

The problem at the moment is that my sprinkler system works well, too well in fact, and promotes the growth of wild grass. So I'm thinking of putting in a good low ground covering plant, I can best liken to a "ground ivy" that will grow out horizontally and stifle the growth of the grass. I'm thinking something like you see on the golf courses around lakes that grows low and has small yellow flowers. It would be nice to add a bit of colour!. Problem is I don't know the name of it and can't identify it easily in garden shops. Any ideas ?

As you will have guessed I'm not much of a horticulturist but if anybody has any good ideas and can give me a phoentic Thai spelling of such a plant I would be grateful.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I think you are talking about Wedelia trilobata also known as (Kraduum-thawng).

It is native to Thailand, grows very low and is a good substitute for grass. Blooms yellow flowers all year. To try keeping it in a 1 meter wide bed will require monthly pruning along the street edge,

I don't think you will find it in local nurseries. I believe it was banned by the government due to it's rapid growth. It will take over a bed if you don't maintain it. If you find it growing wild, or at a golf course, pick a few runners, cut them into 2 - 3" sections, sink one end in the earth, and water. It's that easy. Google an image to see if this is the plant you were asking about.

good luck,

meandwi

I guess

"pakpuangthong" is Plub puang thong พลับพลึงทอง (Crinum asiaticum, Poison Bulb .)

0148_2.jpg

"hoy klaeng ?????" is Waan Garb Hoy krang ว่านกาบหอยแครง , Garb Hoy Krang Krair กาบหอยแครงแคระ or Waan Hoy Krang ว่านหอยแครง

wankabhoy.jpg

Edited by BambinA