My List Of 'falang' Vegetables That Grow Well Here.

jaideeguy

Having been a backyard gardner in the tropics for 40+yrs.....25 yrs Hawaii, 7 yrs Philippines, and 8 yrs in Thailand, I've experimented with a lot of seeds and have come up with a short list of my successes here in LOS and would like to share with other backyard farmers.

Lettuce..... mostly all vareties grow well in the cooler winter months, but hot summers are hard on all but the local vareties

arrugula...... same as above

swiss chard........ does well into the warmer months if established early in cooler months.

collard greens, same

carrots .......do well in the winter months and would advise to mix 'klab' [rice husks] into the soil to loosen it up and make sure no rocks to divert the tap root.

dill.....grows like a weed, but bolts fast

corn....best to plant at end of the rainy season or water well during the dry season

asparagus....grows well, but is slow from seed, better to buy some mature rhyzomes

zucchini...grows fast and many fruits, but no one im my family likes it much

soy beans....great at any time of the year and good for soil, if dug in.

tomatoes....the smaller and thick skinned vareties, not the falang greenhouse types.

cabbage....the wife has luck with them, but i don't

basil....falang types grow well, but can go to seed quick.

pole beans.......do well

chayote...grows well if not too wet.

my failures in LOS....

peas...stunt out and slow to grow.

potatoes....no luck

that's my short list...let's hear yours

• Like 1

Hey Jaideeguy,

Thanks a lot for that information. I have a couple of questions.

What is the size of your plot(s)? I'm wondering if this was a backyard hobby or a multi-rai money-making venture.

"dill.....grows like a weed, but bolts fast" What does "bolts" mean?

Do you have a sense for which of these crops would sell for the highest return/rai or other square area?

We are growing Rubber Trees and Mansampaland (Cassava/Tapiocca) on a lot of land but have a 30 rai plot with lots of water all year round that we are going to grow a few different crops on. My wifes family are doing the work on the 30 rai piece but we are trying to get a picture of what are the best crops to grow for the best return. The soil is not sandy but not really rich soil either. If you have any recommendations on which of these crops would return the most money taking into account the labour required, I would appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.

Jaideeguy, I found that my favorite veggie Silver Beet grows fantastic both in Chiang Mai and here in Issan, grows enormous stalks but as you found with dill etc it goes to seed very quickly, although regular picking of outer stalks for the pot seems to slow the process.

cheers

ozzy

• Like 1

Nepal4me, Bolts means the plant grows to quick, and not really giving it time to take its natural flavour into the leaves/buds ect, same as potatoes ive tried to grow, all top and nothing in the ground, well, ok, 1 egg size potatoe per plant, but i will keep trying, i love new potatoes!!,

Jaideguy, on a recent visit home,[england] i brought back some seeds, i dug over the soil, there is no stones or rocks, its the normal red/clay type soil, I planted 3 rows, parsley,mint and parsnips 2 weeks ago, and still nothing has shown,they are watered at sunset so the moisture stays all night and are in a shaded position, perhaps im impatient?

In contrast to this, we have 1 rai covered raised bed salad plots on the farm, lettuce,oinion,garlic, coriander and other things i dont know the name of grow and sell very well, they are watered on a timer,30 mins before dawn, and 30 mins at sunset, i have other falang seeds to try, brussel sprouts, cauliflower,brocoli, artichokes, but all in good time i think, Cheers, lickey..

• Like 1

nepal, bolt means that the plant goes to seed fast and leaves you with stunted plant at most.

re: comercial growing to actually make some money.......it's common knowledge that the farmer and the retailer both make the least profit, it's the middle men and suppliers that get rich. in the philippines i did make a few pesos on gardening by selling salad greens direct to a few restaurants. that's the only way a farmer can make profit.

my smaller plot here in CM is approx 20mx20m and i'm doing it mostly as a hobby and to have fresh veges at home....nothing better than fresh picked lettuce, baby carrots, greens from your backyard.

and yea, beets do well here for me too....i prefer the greens and can get a continuous harvest for 2 months off a small plot.

licky, parsley and mint should have germinated by now. maybe yor soil should be loosened up with some organics...clay soils harden quick and stop germination. i add sand, ground cocoanut husks, rice hulls and mulch/compost to keep my clay soils from hardening. or maybe you just planted the seeds too deep. rule of thumb is that the smaller the seed, the shallower you plant. and another trick is to maintain moisture for germination is to water well, then cover the seedbed with an old rice sack or something to maintain moisture and warm it up.

• Like 1

I brought a rhubarb starter from Melbourne, it looks like it is going to do well.

The beans are also looking good but the onions are dragging their feet a bit. I hope my parsley comes up, my Mum always had a parsley patch.

Interesting thread, thank you OP for raising it. I have a backburner project I wish to experiment with at some point where I feed chickens with a coriander based food stuff to see if I can affect the flavour of the meat. I've heard of feeding cows and pigs with beer and tasted goat that fed on wild oregano that was very nice.

If basic herbs do run wild quickly I'm guessing I could pulp them into a feed for the chickens?

Sorry I'm a bit off topic.

• Like 1

Jaideeguy, you have took my memory back 40 years or so, about March,Easter time, my father would buy 5 tons of pig or cow shit, spread it on the 1/2 acre, and rotavate it in, we lived in east anglia, Suffolk, the ground was heavy and prone to water rettention, dad would set seeds a month before anybody else in the village, cover with winter wheat stalks to keep the late frosts off,

I do have some seeds leftover and un-ending supplies of cowshit, Ive also heard that leaf droppings from Tamarind trees is a good addative to loosen soil, no shortage of these either, all the local rice straw has gone now, but perhaps banana leaves would suffice?

Cheers, Lickey..

The list of items in demand provided by a Restaurant Owner Friend

Jalapeno Pepper

Bell Pepper

Carrot

Asparagus

Iceberg Lettuce

Garlic Regular size

If any can help me source the seed,

I am dismayed at the short display of the same old stuff in all my local stores.

Happy to see parsely and bell peppers are in with a good chance, I have just brought in some avocado plants they are growing well about half a metre tall will be a long time to see if a total failure, but once I retire will have plenty of time to go back to my farming roots.

I brought a rhubarb starter from Melbourne, it looks like it is going to do well.

The beans are also looking good but the onions are dragging their feet a bit. I hope my parsley comes up, my Mum always had a parsley patch.

Is there a rhubarb plant that will actually grow in warm humid climates? I never tried to grow it in CA becasue it takes temps under 40F/8C to break dormancy or bud,

so that the rhizomes spread. Is there an edible hot weather variety in Australia that will grow here? I would be interested to know.

Thanks,

Beachbunny

For those growing peppers, separate the varieties as much as possible. We have found that if you grow bell or mild peppers next to 'hot' ones the cross pollination can effect the flavour & 'heat'. What are the proceedures for getting seeds into the country? If you were to order from a commercial seed company (eg. Park, Ball, Gurney's here in the States) would you be able to get them through the mail? What are the quarentine proceedures for starts (like the rhubarb mentioned)? Does the department of Agriculture or horticulture departments at the universities have any ongoing studies dealing with introduced fruits & vegies published in English?

I have friends bring in or mail seeds from the states many times and have even listed them on the package and never had a problem. One of my favorite seed sources is 'territorial seeds' out of Oregon and they have a great online ordering and information website. google them.

I also order thru friends, seeds from the University of Hawaii agricultural dept that are mostly tropical friendly and developed for the warmer climates.

In general, most seeds do well for me up north, where we get cooler winter temp, but come summer and i switch to local thai seeds that are heat hardy. This hot season, i am going to try to grow my lettuce under 50% shade to lessen the heat shock that falang veges go thru and will post results.

Then, the wet season has it's own problems as most plants don't like to be wet all the time and develope root rot and other problems associated with wet soil. Maybe will cover with plastic, but not nice to look at.

All on a small scale on an island in the south..some veggies some herbs.

Radish grows well and steady have to be careful that they get constant water for best results.

Cucumbers the small ones climb up the fence and grow well again need steady water

Small tomatoes the cherry ones go crazy once established

Basil easy

Garlic chives

Lemon grass so much have to give away

Had problems with lettuce ,large toms , beetroot dry and small despite promising leafy tops.

Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?

Chownah

Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb?

Chownah

You obviously havnt been to Melbourne. :o

• Like 1

Jaideeguy, Does anyone there utilize shredded styrafoam (cheap/free light weight sand/perlite substitute) with raised beds for drainage problems? What about the reverse of 'hot beds' (recirculating water through an under bed closed systems with the water being run through a heat sink to keep the roots cool, as one would do with a closed heating system for cuttings/seedlings in a temperate climate)? I have been doing some theoretical brainstorming for when I return.

Jaideeguy, Does anyone there utilize shredded styrafoam (cheap/free light weight sand/perlite substitute) with raised beds for drainage problems? What about the reverse of 'hot beds' (recirculating water through an under bed closed systems with the water being run through a heat sink to keep the roots cool, as one would do with a closed heating system for cuttings/seedlings in a temperate climate)? I have been doing some theoretical brainstorming for when I return.

Many of the commercial salad vegetable growers add rice husks to their soil to aid drainage and to also retain moisture.its very cheap and eventually breaks down to add organic matter to the soil , also loosens up clay type soils which are the norm in Isaan.

ozzy

• Like 2

i know sunflowers aren't a vegetable, but i've found they grow very well here (isaan) without a whole lot of care req'd. whenever i go home (canada), i always buy a bunch. surprising how many different varieties you can find in a decent garden center, must be at least 20 or so different kinds of sunflowers, many different colours.

i know sunflowers aren't a vegetable, but i've found they grow very well here (isaan) without a whole lot of care req'd. whenever i go home (canada), i always buy a bunch. surprising how many different varieties you can find in a decent garden center, must be at least 20 or so different kinds of sunflowers, many different colours.

Thais are very partial to eating sunflower seeds as well, extremely nutritious.

• Like 1

Here in Korat over the past few years I've had good luck with tomatoes in my driveway.

The first picture, the plant on the L/H side is on Jan 25 08 is the same plant on Feb 10 08. Last year this verity was setting fruit at 39C, not as good as the coller weather we are having now. Solar Fire VFFF Hyb. It's not a good old beefstake, but they beat any market tomato in LOS.(except some of the G-H grown here) If you consider The Villa market a Thai market, their imported($$$$) Momotaro's are very good.

rice555

post-37242-1203098415_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203098628_thumb.jpg

Have some questions concerning the tomato plants. Here the winter ones are to be avoided because they are mostly greenhouse grown. With the high humidity & lower temps you might as well be eating coloured mushy cardboard. Summers in north Texas are hot enough to split the growing season into spring+ & very late summer/fall. With the high humidity, rainy season, and a cold season how do you schedule the planting & production to get flavourful fruit? Do you run them dry during the cold season to concentrate the flavour? I appreciate the information!

Hello leyuhrah, are you there or here(LOS), if so what area? If you have read the; "tomato, roma and the what kind of vegetables to grow" threads, you'll read the problems folks are having. I really don't have any planting timetable, when I get my new seeds I ordered delivered, I try them. For the heat problem, just do some research on ones that will take heat, like Porter's Pride. Humidity, where "I live" it's not that much and that long to have been a problem for me the past 7 years, as I grow because I enjoy it. Remember that the old family heirloom may not be up for the tropics.

Seed bought in the US may grow here very, it may have been grown here. Of what I have grown: Tomato Growers Supply in FL : Early Cascade Hyb Thailand,Viva Italia Hyb Thailand, the eggplant Fairy Tale Hyb. that was the All-American Selection Winner 2005 Thailand, chile's one that good but $$ is Serrano del Sol Hyb. Thailand. Also Stokes Seed Co., Camino Real Hyb.(serrano) Thailand, Ancho Real Hyb. Vietnam and anew Det. tomatillo San Juanito, China.

The following pix's cover heavy rain(not STORM) here in Korat and how I start things.

Do you know where Poolville TX is? This is my new seed from them, some garden fresh serranos used there seed here 5 years now.

Seeding trays(1 31 08) with seed from Nu-Mex Chile Pepper Institute in New Mexico and what the look like on 2 17 08.

Three of my bullets on top of 4 I bought at The Villa(BKK) to try, no HEAT and Bt.64.

To bring it back to tomatoes, this was a few days ago. They are still flowering and no problems from the rain last week. I did loose 3 of my "black" O/P tomato fruit with B-R.

rice555 ps, I also grow in dirt!

post-37242-1203434714_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203435950_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203434984_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203436282_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203436493_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203436787_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1203435160_thumb.jpg

Jaideeguy and Rice 555

I thread I started 30th August 2006 titled "Growing Makua in Thailand" in the farming section - look it up - it contains a lot of useful and very detailed information, from me but also from other members who have grown vegetables.

The whole thread gives a good relaistic overview of growing vegetables on a large scale with a number of examples and different peoples experiances.

• 10 months later...

How did the rhubard turn out? I stumbled on an unbranded (locally made) rhubard pie when I was in a supermarket in Pattaya and found a can of Ambrosia Devon Custard that I had been saving at home for a rainy day and it was quite delicious.

It all got me thinking about growing my own rhubard up at my estancia in Udon.

• 7 months later...

Having been a backyard gardner in the tropics for 40+yrs.....25 yrs Hawaii, 7 yrs Philippines, and 8 yrs in Thailand, I've experimented with a lot of seeds and have come up with a short list of my successes here in LOS and would like to share with other backyard farmers.

Hi,

We have just moved to Khun Korn,Chiang Rai and inherited a garden that was completely overrun!

I have cleared a small area and tried to plant many seeds. ( Pea, lettuce, cabbage, brocoli,Basil, pumkin,etc,etc) but none of the seeds seem to germinate? Out of 2 rows i only got 6 carrots and spring onions 2, The same with many other seeds.

I know i have many insects and bugs and have sprayed for them but i don't like to! Is there an alternative?

I have been a gardener for many years in the Uk but cannot understand my failure here!

(Except the heat and monsoon rain :) )

Peter Jon

Hi,

We have just moved to Khun Korn,Chiang Rai and inherited a garden that was completely overrun!

I have cleared a small area and tried to plant many seeds. ( Pea, lettuce, cabbage, brocoli,Basil, pumkin,etc,etc) but none of the seeds seem to germinate? Out of 2 rows i only got 6 carrots and spring onions 2, The same with many other seeds.

I know i have many insects and bugs and have sprayed for them but i don't like to! Is there an alternative?

I have been a gardener for many years in the Uk but cannot understand my failure here!

(Except the heat and monsoon rain :) )

Peter Jon

OP, I'm suprised sweet potato has not been mentioned. During your time in Hawaii you would have come across "kumara". I would guess that it would do very well in Thai.

As for rhubarb, the leaves can be boiled to make an organic pesticide for your other leafy veges.

How did your rhubarb start do? Hopefully good cuz I would sure like to find a variety that will grow in LOS.

Edited by wagner54

Interesting thread, thank you OP for raising it. I have a backburner project I wish to experiment with at some point where I feed chickens with a coriander based food stuff to see if I can affect the flavour of the meat. I've heard of feeding cows and pigs with beer and tasted goat that fed on wild oregano that was very nice.

If basic herbs do run wild quickly I'm guessing I could pulp them into a feed for the chickens?

Gday Cuban. When I lived in the UK I had a spit roasting business. When we could, we always used pigs that had been raised in cider orchards, and for sure it made the meat a lot tastier, and we also used a marinade made from cider. Also young lamb in Greece and other countries that has been raised around herbs has a better flavour. But almost any domestic animal raised on natural forage foods and crops will taste better than their feed lot cousins. The coriander sounds like a great idea. Now if you could only persuade them to eat garlic as well, that would be a real seller. Good luck.

Gday Cuban. When I lived in the UK I had a spit roasting business. When we could, we always used pigs that had been raised in cider orchards, and for sure it made the meat a lot tastier, and we also used a marinade made from cider. Also young lamb in Greece and other countries that has been raised around herbs has a better flavour. But almost any domestic animal raised on natural forage foods and crops will taste better than their feed lot cousins. The coriander sounds like a great idea. Now if you could only persuade them to eat garlic as well, that would be a real seller. Good luck.

This is most certainly a worthwhile experiment Cuban. I used to hunt wood pigeon and over the years I learnt which time of year was best, all depending on what fruits or berries were in season as the flavour of the birds would change. This suggests that birds will fairly quickly take up the flavours of their diet.

Feed pigs on pumpkin and their fat turns yellow.

As far as corriander is concerned, I noticed that bees love the flowers and I wondered if a specialist cooking honey could be produced.