My List Of 'falang' Vegetables That Grow Well Here.

jaideeguy

We have just moved to Khun Korn,Chiang Rai and inherited a garden that was completely overrun!

I have cleared a small area and tried to plant many seeds. ( Pea, lettuce, cabbage, brocoli,Basil, pumkin,etc,etc) but none of the seeds seem to germinate? Out of 2 rows i only got 6 carrots and spring onions 2, The same with many other seeds.

I know i have many insects and bugs and have sprayed for them but i don't like to! Is there an alternative?

I have been a gardener for many years in the Uk but cannot understand my failure here!

(Except the heat and monsoon rain :) )

Peter Jon

Peter,

When did you plant ?

I'm guessing the weather in CR is similar to CM.

I've found most Falang veg & many Thai veg dont like the hot wet season.

Try planting the same seeds about Oct, when the rains are finishing & the temps are getting comfortable.

Sow a second batch about Feb when the temps are warming up again.

The bug/rot problems are much less in the cool dry season to.

JaiDeeGuy,

In your origional post you said Zuchini/Corgette had grown well.

I got a couple of plants to grow but the fruit rotted very early.

Are you still growing these with success ?

• 2 weeks later...

Did grow Z last year and harvested young because of rot. Ended up pulling the plant, as I'm the only one that can eat them and not that often. They were mostly taking up a lot of space in my small garden, but grew well and fruited heavily.

Agree with you PL on planting schedule and am looking foreward to 'my time to plant'.....the wife grows her Thai veges during the hot wet time.

• 2 months later...

This receipt is a couple of years old but this company gave me a couple of different types of green bell pepper seeds that were supposedly tuned into tropical growing. Gave them to a couple of farmers in Surin and Chacheongsao but both sites failed to produce anything more than small distorted peppers. There were enough seeds to try them out in different seasons. I didn't supervise, just noticed the finished product. I'd love to be able to grow these things in Thailand because I eat them a lot back home where they grow like weeds.

Having said that, maybe they have come up with a better variety and maybe someone would like to follow up. I believe the seeds actually came from the Philippines..........

Well, crap, the download didn't work out too good

The address is 50/1 Moo2 Sainoi-Bang Bua Thong Road, Amphur Sainoi Nonthaburi 11150 phone 662 831 7700, fax 662 923 7794

e-mail [email protected] and the guy at that time was Bert Van Der Feltz

post-40339-1258715638_thumb.jpg

Edited by finner

Hello finner, you can buy verities off the shelf here that grow very well.

Known You Seed Co and Chia Tai, green, green to yellow and green/red.

These were Hyb., Bt.17-20 per small pack

I have seen OP California Wonder seed for sale here to.

Two I've had good success with are the Peto Wonder Hyb. and the Vidi Hyb.

both of these I got from: http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

I have a bulk order of Peto's from TGS, I do really like the pepper's, also if

you can't grow them in LOS, you need to turn in you shovel, the seed stock

is bred in LOS.

Were the two farmers Thai's or westerners? Some people here had gardens

back home, but can't grow mold here. I try to check if the plants I want to

grow can take the weather first.

The guy that started this thread has my order for 1/2lb. of Pinto III bean

seed that is my next try. I ordered 1/2lb. of ancho and serrano seed, and

he wanted to try some salsify, so I added it to order I made last night.

We both are trying pink banana squash.

If you order bell seed from the US, another good OP is the improved Cal

Wonder, called the 'Yolo Wonder'. http://www.willhiteseed.com/

But you can find some bulk seed cheaper doing a search:

California Wonder 300 - 75 Days. (Sweet) Outstanding shipping sort.

Fruits mostly four-lobed, chunky 41/2 x 4 inches, deep green becoming

bright crimson. Flesh thick, flavor mild. Plants vigorous, upright, prolific.

Average weight 6 oz. This is the 300 (TMR) strain.

(Pkt. $1.00) (1/4 oz. $2.00) (oz. $3.80) (1/4 lb. $10.80) (1/2 lb. $18.00)

postpaid.

Not postpaid (lb. $30.00) (5 lbs. @ $29.00 per lb.)

(25 lbs. @ $28.00 per lb.) These are prices from a 100 Y/O seed co. in CO.

Seed runs about 3,500-4.000 per Oz.

rice555

Hello rice555, thanks for the info re bell pepper seeds. I gave up looking 2 years ago after spending days on the internet and trying to order varieties that would grow here. Admittedly, the 2 farmers I gave the seeds to were Thais who had never seen these peppers before but both of whom had other thai style veggies growing.

You say they can be found "on the shelf" here? Super, I'll keep my eyes open. I look every time I go into any agricultural joint because I'm always looking for tractor parts but haven't EVER seen any, but this is in the Chacheongsao and Surin areas. OK, time to get serious, just put them on my list of stuff to bring back next time I venture into the real world..............

I've also clicked on the websites you provided and will order some Monday morning their time. (Found out that 800 numbers are free to call from here on the Skype)

Edited by finner

OK Rice, you shamed me in public and I am getting your seed order off this Monday....with a little extra.

How's your pink banana squash doing?? my 2 early ones are taking off like wildfire and are just starting to set fruit. Have 5 other squashes ready to plant next week and corn is growing good.

not having much luck with my peppers....poor germination, and impatience on my part. I don't have your patience with peppers!!

Tomatoes are doing good, except that those big belgium don't seem to acclimatize to the conditions here.....not surprisingly.

5 different kinds of eggplant are doing mostly good, the ichiban you gave me is fruiting.....5 inches long already.

and yes, beetroot does great here, but dry season. I grow it mostly for the greens, but it does produce a good root.

JDG

Edited by jaideeguy
  • Like 1

Pickled Beetroot, one of my favorite sandwich additives, must look at the local market,,

Anybody tried Jerusalem Artichokes? i suppose in a way they are a bit like cassava [growing properties] Perhaps a good question for Bina,

Thanks, Lickey,,

Hello jaideeguy, no, it's I who am shamed in public, my pink banana seed

is still in the bag as well as my corn, okra, summer squash and eggplant

seed. But I was busy, like your phone, no I just got the tractor guy to come

the other day. As I said, your pepper problem is from dirt critters, they don't

like to live in coir, I can only say spray this late in the game.

They have the Texas Gourd Seed corn in stock, let me know before 12/2.

I do have 2 Ichiban EP's in buckets that have been do OK, nice eating fruit.

Have 8 black cherry and 8 of the Belgium Giants about 5" tall sitting in their

tray with 1(1 out of 12 sprouted) white hab waiting to get planted a long with

the anchos, serranos and chili nagros. The plants that have been growing for

awhile, the anchos are walnut size and the chili nagros are pea size.

Epazote has gone to seed again, needs pruning again.(year and a half old)

rice555

Rice, enough of this public shaming.......your latest shipment of seeds arrived yesterday and I do have a few questions and will call you when I get a charge onmy phone.

my pink banana squash are taking off like rabbits and just planted 5 other varities of squash. We ate the 1st ichiban last night and the wife remarked what sweet tasting eggplant it was. now I gotta keep her from picking early as Thais like them small. Other plants are comming in this great cool weather. 1st corn [oaxacan green] is tasteling and newly planted hopi blue is 6 in tall. lost tags for most of my tomatoes, but they are doing well....except for that belgium giant which doesn't like conditions here.

Inmy last to you, i included some more of the pink banana seeds from another source that seemed to give better germination rate. I also pinched some of your pinto beans and am waiting on them to sprout.....bush beans, right?? what spacing did you use??

and what spacing do you use on your squash??

JDG

• 9 years later...

Sorry to bring out the old topic. Do you use special soil? Because the one we have in our garden is like a concrete (hard as ...) or clay. 

We used to grow some strawberries but had to buy pots and soil. 

I for one am glad you reactivated this thread. I had never seen it! Interesting advice here as usual. 

Regarding the soil in your garden; I had a similar problem a few years ago when I moved into my wife's house. The garden had been neglected since the beginning of time. I have worked in a fair amount of organic matter (lawn and hedge trimmings, left over food, rice husks, cow manure and coir mainly) and it has actually helped to loosen up the soil in the grow beds - the soil in one particular grow bed (the one with the most organic matter mixed in it) is so light and "fluffy" that the cat used to sink her paws right into the top soil every time she walked across it. I grew lovely carrots in that 2 years ago. 

It's really had work working the material into the soil, but it makes such a difference!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/9/2008 at 7:27 AM, Ieyuhrah said:

Jaideeguy, Does anyone there utilize shredded styrafoam (cheap/free light weight sand/perlite substitute) with raised beds for drainage problems? What about the reverse of 'hot beds' (recirculating water through an under bed closed systems with the water being run through a heat sink to keep the roots cool, as one would do with a closed heating system for cuttings/seedlings in a temperate climate)? I have been doing some theoretical brainstorming for when I return.

Thanks for the idea Ley. 

I get your idea totally, but suspect strongly that the issue is not so much keeping the roots cool or the soil. It is common knowledge that tomatoes will not blossom in high temperatures. Many other plants, especially those with large leaf surface area simply lose moisture too fast in extreme heat. 

Heat adapted plants such as those in the desert actually produce waxy substances to prevent moisture loss and modify leaf stomata to only open at night, and other defenses. 

What I found to be very effective in my USA greenhouse was misters. It does require a moderately high water pressure about 40psi or more for the misting heads to work though. That could be achieved here with a pump especially since water volume is not high. Turn on using solenoid valves for a few minutes several times a day as determined empirically. Of course it works best in an enclosed space to minimize wind drift and the misters should be located overhead so the most falls on the plants. Not terribly expensive but not a plug and play project either. 

PM me if you want some misting head sources or other questions. 

On 8/26/2009 at 4:12 PM, Cuban said:

Wow, a bit of a blast from the past. Currently focusing on protien for the chickens - in the form of maggots.

But pineapples for the pigs is another idea ????

Cuban, when I raised chickens in the USA I found that cockroaches would hide in the feed bin. When they fled everyday that I opened the bin to refill it the chickens quickly gathered to chase and gobble the refugees. 

I never tried to scale the process but have heard of raising cockroaches in cages and bet they reproduce quickly on kitchen scraps. So do mice though so the feeding area would have to be contained. 

I applaud your spirit. 

On 1/2/2019 at 5:58 PM, RocketDog said:

Thanks for the idea Ley. 

I get your idea totally, but suspect strongly that the issue is not so much keeping the roots cool or the soil. It is common knowledge that tomatoes will not blossom in high temperatures. Many other plants, especially those with large leaf surface area simply lose moisture too fast in extreme heat. 

Heat adapted plants such as those in the desert actually produce waxy substances to prevent moisture loss and modify leaf stomata to only open at night, and other defenses. 

What I found to be very effective in my USA greenhouse was misters. It does require a moderately high water pressure about 40psi or more for the misting heads to work though. That could be achieved here with a pump especially since water volume is not high. Turn on using solenoid valves for a few minutes several times a day as determined empirically. Of course it works best in an enclosed space to minimize wind drift and the misters should be located overhead so the most falls on the plants. Not terribly expensive but not a plug and play project either. 

PM me if you want some misting head sources or other questions. 

Tomatoes will hate regular misting. They do ok this time of year and will flower in the cooler weather.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grollies said:

Tomatoes will hate regular misting. They do ok this time of year and will flower in the cooler weather.

I hope you're right as I have tomato seedlings coming up. I'm not set up to grow here except in pots. 

My greenhouse tomatoes in Colorado did well with the misting maybe because the humidity was low and the greenhouse hot so the water evaporated quickly and was exhausted by the fan. It certainly cooled the air. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I've had miserable luck with tomatoes and bell peppers for the last three years.

I've tried seeds from America particularly heat resistant types of tomatoes.

I finally learned that in the HuaHin area I should plant seeds in very late summer. The plants grow well and I get some tomatoes until about late Feb/early March. Then they simply stop growing, leaves curl up, and all blooming stops. I have to assume it's the extreme heat.

Cucumbers grow well and produce heavily for a few weeks before getting some kind of mold and/or aphids that kills the blooms. I spray the leaves top and bottom with dishsoap/water, which helps a lot but is great trouble.

Anybody got tips on growing peppers or tomatoes here??

I don't care much for the Thai tomatoes; no taste, small, and never really get sweet at all.

thanks,

7 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i tried rhubarb, they died before they came alive and i cant get rhubarb pie in thailand

Me too. All efforts to grow rhubarb have failed.

Occasionally there is rhubarb in Makro. It's a very poor, thin, tasteless imitation of the real thing, but a bargain at around 400 THB/kilo (that's 10 quid).

Don't get me started on swedes and parsnips.

I used to grow rhubarb in the UK did well ,it needs the cool climate, just like trying to grow potatoes, never any joy.   

As for tomatoes I have had some luck with Black Russian  variety, with a bit more TLC on my part they would have done better.

PS. British Corner Shop, tin of Princes Rhubarb in Syrup 3.19GBP plus shipping, almost cheaper than Makro .