Kee Neeow

stumonster

was just wondering about the literal translation of kee neeow.

does it mean shit chewy.

kee nok --> shit bird and khow neeow --> rice chewy was what made me wonder?

not really important but I am interested.

what other thai words convey the meaning of stingy without the scatalogical references?

:o

Actually Stu I think its more like "Kee" as in prone too, having a tendancy of.

Kee maow - drunkared

Kee gore- liar

Kee len- playful

I might be wrong and if I am I'm sure one of the others will know.

Oh neeow- try sticky

Cheers RC

umm

u right

They're alot more with this word "Kee"

Kee Klaad = Cowardly

Kee kaah = A slave, a servant (really strong word don't use it cuz it mean u looking down someone

kee ngon = oversensitive, like to be in a fit of pique

kee boon = grumbling

kee paak = target for gossip

kee yaah = a drug addict

kee haung = jealous (for bg & gf)

kee itcha = jealous

kee eyeee = shy, bashful, timid

There are more than this but these all i can think of right now :o

Take Care,

"chat"

was just wondering about the literal translation of kee neeow.

does it mean shit chewy.

kee nok --> shit bird and khow neeow --> rice chewy was what made me wonder?

not really important but I am interested.

what other thai words convey the meaning of stingy without the scatalogical references?

:o

Yeah, but you can't translate straight from Thai into English word for word. The Thai pattern is that the attribute follows the noun, whereas in English it proceeds it.

Khao niaow is sticky rice, not "rice sticky", just like "reua rob" is "battleship" and not "ship battle". You probably get this already though, but just in case...

You can take a lot of words (verbs, but not all verbs and adjectives and combine them with 'khee', here are some more expressions)

khee glua - perpetually scared, 'khon khee glua' = "a chicken" (not as in the bird)

khon khee yaak ruu - a Nosey Parker

khee kiat - lazy

etc.

Another word of the same type is "naa", as in

naa rak = "lovely" (worthy of love)

naa glua - scary

naa pai - really worth going to (about a tourist desination, country, place etc.)

I've got bored with the stock replies to "what is your name, where do you come from".......now I reply

Cheu pom kii neow, krap. Pbrateet pom, pen din gub mai me dtang.

If they are prepared to talk to me after this (about 20%) then they are probably worth talking to and don't cost me a lot :D.

doesn't work very well with baqr girls though :o

That's what I asked my husband but he pointed out that as there are words in english that are spelt the same but have different meanings so the thai language has the same. Guess the only way to tell the difference is to know that there is a difference :o

I hear Thai people calling me "prayaat"(economical) alot which doesn't offend me.

I think "mayaat" means the same.

I bought one lottery ticket yesterday, and heard 'prayat'. The somtam lady who always complains about being broke bought 500 bahts worth!

When you hear "kee nioew", it is not good.

no what it actually means is

" you are rich white farang, why arent you giving me 800Baht for this worthless piece of crap and a tip like the other idiots" If a vendor says that in my earshot, I let them know with a good hard stare that I have heard it and understood it.

And as someone mentioned bargirls, if I hear that from anyone I am with they are dumped straight off. What they mean is "you arent spending enough on me as I want you to or that japanese bloke did last night" My response is, OK, I will leave you alone and not spend any money on you whatsoever!

Still cant get round the way a lot of thais like to verbalise their opinion ( in thai ) of you to all within earshot.