Thailand's English-speaking Dilemma

george

You're probably right.  There's scant evidence of any real effort to improve the state education system, even though there's now a Thai prime minister who knows there's a problem. (On the other hand, does he know how deficient his own English is, I wonder?)  Yep, a good proportion of the world's-worst-English-speakers problem is down to power, who holds it, and who wants to keep it. But the main part is a culture which doesn't value intelligent learning and which doesn't value getting things factually right.

In your opinion, what are the main problems with the educational system ?

Is it funding(are the public schools funded through property taxes or by some other method) ?

Is it elitism - keep the lower orders down?(sexism would be included here)

or something else - perhaps apathy, or other priorities?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're probably right.  There's scant evidence of any real effort to improve the state education system, even though there's now a Thai prime minister who knows there's a problem. (On the other hand, does he know how deficient his own English is, I wonder?)  Yep, a good proportion of the world's-worst-English-speakers problem is down to power, who holds it, and who wants to keep it. But the main part is a culture which doesn't value intelligent learning and which doesn't value getting things factually right.

In your opinion, what are the main problems with the educational system ?

Is it funding(are the public schools funded through property taxes or by some other method) ?

Is it elitism - keep the lower orders down?(sexism would be included here)

or something else - perhaps apathy, or other priorities?

As for my experience...

1. Apathy of students (Even students with rich parents, who get quality (expensive) tuition are more interested in comics, watching TV and music CDs in the classroom etc., etc. (Also, why is it that Thailand is the country in SE Asia with the lowest English proficiency, even though it's not the poorest??)

2. Funding (There are students - especially primary students, unfortunately a minority, who are interested in learning the language, but many government schools, especially "upcountry" just don't have the funds for quality education.

3. Qualification of Thai and native teachers.

4. Nationalism ("No need Englit..." (Priorities for Thai dancing, parades etc. However, Thailand's history doesn't seem to be on the agenda, as I could often "teach" my students more about it than vice versa.)

As for my experience...

1. Apathy of students (Even students with rich parents, who get quality (expensive) tuition are more interested in comics, watching TV and music CDs in the classroom etc., etc. (Also, why is it that Thailand is the country in SE Asia with the lowest English proficiency, even though it's not the poorest??)

2. Funding (There are students - especially primary students, unfortunately a minority, who are interested in learning the language, but many government schools, especially "upcountry" just don't have the funds for quality education.

3. Qualification of Thai and native teachers.

4. Nationalism ("No need Englit..." (Priorities for Thai dancing, parades etc. However, Thailand's history doesn't seem to be on the agenda, as I could often "teach" my students more about it than vice versa.)

Seems obvious that Thailand was not colonized by England(nor the US) so didn't get co-opted by force into the English speaking world; though I would argue they have been 'internally colonized' by the Chinese, though I bet'ya their English is better than their Mandarin on average. If I'm not mistaken Japan is the biggest trading partner and you would think this would impact language studies - but my wife's brothers worked for Japanese/Japanese firms and came to despise them.

Are schools funded through province taxes or local property taxes(as in the US) ?

interesting the comparison made earlier with India...how about Malaysia and even Burma if we are looking at basic English proficiency. What is notable is that all these places have been colonized by Brits at one time or another meaning that the local knowledge of English and also don't forget awareness of Western culture and values is at a much higher level in those countries that have been colonized by a European country. This gives these places a head start in the international business stakes (over Thailand anyway)...but I do think that the inability (or unwillingness) to speak English by Thais lends itself to a kind of X-factor which helps draw in tourists eager to 'have an experience' abroad...so it's not necessarily such a bad thing eh.. :o

Well,

I do not believe that colonization has a considerable impact on language skills.

Why do even poor cambodians speak better english than Thais?

They did not learn it from "well qualified , well paid teachers" but just from watching TV, talking to tourists and so on. Most of them have some knowledge of Thai as well.

Acording to the "colonization theory" they should be speaking french very well.

Do they?

No!

Attidude is all that matters.

Forget about funding, or "qualification" of teachers.

If you want to learn, you will. No matter how "bad" your teacher is. If you want to gain knowledge you will do so. It's a pretty lame excuse to blame the education system, when you are just to lazy.

However, I don't care if they speak english or not. It's up to them.

Seems obvious that Thailand was not colonized by England(nor the US) so didn't get co-opted by force into the English speaking world...

I did ask my students in 8th grade yesterday. Answer: Thailand was never colonized by Britain or France, so the people were not forced by the colonial powers to learn English... :o

...but I do think that the inability (or unwillingness) to speak English by Thais lends itself to a kind of X-factor which helps draw in tourists eager to 'have an experience' abroad...so it's not necessarily such a bad thing eh.. :o

I agree that this is actually attractive and interesting for many tourists. But how about foreign trade? Won't Thailand lose out to countries like China, India and Vietnam in the future?

Thais are really good in writing and understand English but if read it will be a problems.

If Native speaker salary is too high why not hired Phillipino,India,Singaporean to become teachers because they look like same and less standard to hired one??.

Thais should change thier mind set that Asia teachers are no good only import teachers are the best.We seek knowledge not face.