Soi Dogs

DJ Pat

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for "there are no soi dogs in my neighborhood" 'cause we don't have any sois around my house :D We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

All my dogs are sterilized, vaccinated, fed and shampooed regularly. In fact, many a person has said if they die and are reincarnated they would like to come back as my dog. Lots of love, lots of space, good food, and your only job is to chase of the neighbors dratted chickens, who could ask for more?

Sounds like the spoiled mutts of some in the states who take their curs to the vet to have their teeth brushed! :o

I voted for "there are no soi dogs in my neighborhood" 'cause we don't have any sois around my house  :D  We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

All my dogs are sterilized, vaccinated, fed and shampooed regularly. In fact, many a person has said if they die and are reincarnated they would like to come back as my dog. Lots of love, lots of space, good food, and your only job is to chase of the neighbors dratted chickens, who could ask for more?

Sounds like the spoiled mutts of some in the states who take their curs to the vet to have their teeth brushed! :o

Basic health care is spoiling?? boy, I'd hate to see how you treat your kids. :D

I voted for "there are no soi dogs in my neighborhood" 'cause we don't have any sois around my house  :D   We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

Basic health care is spoiling?? boy, I'd hate to see how you treat your kids. :D

My dogs chew the he11 out of milk bones, real bones w/exception of chicken. Get their rabies, worm shots with regularity and when they corner a skunk - with the inevitible results, get a good bath...terrible job.

My reference to folks who "pamper" their pets with trips to the Vet for a toothbrushing stands.

btw - don't have kids.

MaiLooatvet.jpg

Before^^

Here's a story to make your heart weep:

Name: "MaiLoo"

Date of birth: Estimated early September 2003

Background: Origin unknown. Mai-Loo was discovered on Feb 26 in a squalid government sterilization holding pen in Bangkok, along with an identical female dog, probably her sister who has since died. Both were sick and emaciated, with ear tattoos indicating they had been sterilized under the Government’s mass sterilization project. She spent a week in hospital under observation (sarcoptic mange, high temperature and coughing) and 10 weeks in quarantine at SDR’s foster facility.

Features: Small lean dog, perfectly proportioned body and legs, curly tail, large pointed ears, long pointed face. Sand-colored.

Character: A loving dog who adores human company, happy to rest head on lap. Good with other dogs, a little submissive, staying out of trouble. Has occasional high bursts of puppy energy, when she playfully chases the other pups around the yard.

Other information: “Mai Loo” means “I don’t know”, which was the answer given when asked her name by the vet – and it stuck! Her gentle, loving nature makes her a perfect companion animal. She needs further leash and crate training. Nervy when in an unknown noisy environment – needs more socialization. Tends to be “clingy” with her human.

OK with cats.

Location now: In foster care in Samut Prakarn with 3 adults, one child, two cats, numerous dogs and visitors.

Health: Blood test March 7: negative for blood parasites.

Skin scraping June 16: negative for mange.

Appetite and coat healthy.

Sterilised: Yes, date unknown.

Vaccinated: Hexadog: June 16 2004 (includes rabies). Booster due June 2005

Ready for Departure to the USA: Mid July 2004

MaiLooNOW2.jpg

Look at :This nice website about soi dogs

And now^^

Ready for Departure to the USA: Mid July 2004

Hmmm... shouldn't this topic be moved to other forum?

"Visas and Migration to other countries" :D

actually, I'm astounded that the someone would think to solve the soi dog issue by sending them to USA... :o

i'm not that big a dog lover, but i know some people are..... to each his own

Don't all animals fall into one of three categories for humans.

food chain, beasts of burden, or pets.

Soi dogs surely fit none of the above.

In my soi they are just pests who collectively add to the noise pollution when their howling starts around 11.00pm through to god knows when.

None are cared for, all abandoned. Now if Thai's like Vienamese were to add them to the menu there would not be a problem, and they would actually have something to offer.

teach :o

What's the percentage of readers that have either been bitten, chased, or severely intimidated by a pack of barking, growling soi dogs?

I find it's a serious public health and safety issue.

Health and Safety isn't an issue in Thailand, is it?

I'm afraid it is an issue. Health, I see dogs crapping in my soi. The crap then dries out in the sunshine and then gets pounded into dust by cars and M/Cs. Then it gets kicked up into the air everytime a vehicle passes. The very air that we all breath.

Safety, I've ran over 4 of the vermin with my motorbike without damage to the bike. So now I don't swerve or excessively brake when a dog runs out into my path but just keep a straight line and run over them. But when I'm carrying an inexperienced passenger who instinctively flinches when a dog gives chase, the passenger can sometimes cause the bike to wobble, perhaps enough to clip an oncoming vehicle. An inexperienced rider may instinctively swerve or lock up the wheels when braking and could put himself into a life threatening situation.

I don't have an issue with dogs being kept as pets or for working, but stray dogs should be rounded up and destroyed.

I voted for "there are no soi dogs in my neighborhood" 'cause we don't have any sois around my house  :D  We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

Sounds like the spoiled mutts of some in the states who take their curs to the vet to have their teeth brushed! :D

My dogs chew the he11 out of milk bones, real bones w/exception of chicken. Get their rabies, worm shots with regularity and when they corner a skunk - with the inevitible results, get a good bath...terrible job.

My reference to folks who "pamper" their pets with trips to the Vet for a toothbrushing stands.

btw - don't have kids.

So, basically you are saying you vaccinate and bathe your dogs?

Sounds like the spoiled mutts of some in the states who take their curs to the vet to have their teeth brushed!
But because
All my dogs are sterilized, vaccinated, fed and shampooed regularly.
I am spoiling my dogs?? :o

And as for Gazza, why are you so worried about a bit of dry dog poo when the air pollution from cars and factories is so much worse?? Somehow, I don't think that haze over the sun in Bangkok comes from dry dog poo! Seems to me it's just your excuse for a bit of torture. Hope you do some really good deeds guy, 'cause if there is karma you are in some serious trouble. :D

And as for Gazza, why are you so worried about a bit of dry dog poo when the air pollution from cars and factories is so much worse?? Somehow, I don't think that haze over the sun in Bangkok comes from dry dog poo! Seems to me it's just your excuse for a bit of torture. Hope you do some really good deeds guy, 'cause if there is karma you are in some serious trouble. :D

I'm not bothered too much about dog poo in the air. :o

Torture? How do I torture dogs? Because I run over them instead of swerving to avoid them and riding head on into oncoming traffic? If it comes down to the life of a dog or my own, call me selfish, but I'll choose to keep my own life thanks. :D

Running over them would present a danger to yourself, depending on their size.

True, but it would have to be a fairly big dog to bring down a Harley. If I can safely avoid running them over I will do, but when they run into my path with little warning then there's not much that I can do.

Safety, I've ran over 4 of the vermin with my motorbike without damage to the bike. So now I don't swerve or excessively brake when a dog runs out into my path but just keep a straight line and run over them. But when I'm carrying an inexperienced passenger who instinctively flinches when a dog gives chase, the passenger can sometimes cause the bike to wobble, perhaps enough to clip an oncoming vehicle. An inexperienced rider may instinctively swerve or lock up the wheels when braking and could put himself into a life threatening situation.

I don't have an issue with dogs being kept as pets or for working, but stray dogs should be rounded up and destroyed.

Do you think it makes you cool or manly to brag about purposely injuring animals? These dogs suffer from the moment they are born. They are hungry, unloved, unwanted, plagued with diseases and other things that we can't even begin to imagine. Just simply doing nothing and letting a dog suffer is bad enough, but purposely inflicting injury upon it is sick and wrong. Imagine for just one second that you need help, that you are suffering, and then someone does something to you to make your life and situation even worse. I hope that you can change and find compassion for others, if not, and you are born into a suffering life, may others take pity upon you.

Soi Dog Rescue is a wonderful organisation. I adopted a dog from them and she is a joy to our lives. These people are dedicating their time and their own money to help these animals, and it's really incredible what they have accomplished. My dog was the 50th dog they adopted out from the streets of BKK. Now THAT is something to brag about.

I like dogs, not those horrible little fanny lickers that yelp all day, but real dogs, like Doberman Pincers.

Gazza's only being honest and does what any other sane motorist would. If a dog runs out in front of you on a busy highway, it's him or you I'm afraid. He probably could've described it with a bit more compassion, but that's the way it is.

Soi Dog Rescue is a wonderful organisation. I adopted a dog from them and she is a joy to our lives. These people are dedicating their time and their own money to help these animals, and it's really incredible what they have accomplished. My dog was the 50th dog they adopted out from the streets of BKK. Now THAT is something to brag about.

In Sakhon Nakhon they call it a take away.

Maa Sii Dam, Aroy Dii mak!