Where To Buy Houseplants?

buddhafly

there must be someplace better than chatuchuk to buy good sized potted plants for a balcony...

a big nursery in bangkok somewhere?

thanks

What a concept. I gave up a year ago. They sell plants, but no pots. Or pots, but no plants. Potting soil, fertilizer? Forget it. The closest thing I found was small bags of soil at Tesco. Steal some old dirt out of the backyard. That's the best you can do.

Maybe there are some great nursery's around, but like everything else here, you have to know where it is. No such thing as online search or the phone book yellow pages.

Check out Thewit. The street that leads from the ferry stop has lots of plant stores along the canal.

Also very near Chatuchak on Khampang Phet Road heading west, on the south side are many, many plant stores - and they sell potting soil too. Open 7 days a week. MRT station there if you don't drive.

..Also very near Chatuchak on Khampang Phet Road heading west, on the south side are many, many plant stores - and they sell potting soil too. Open 7 days a week. MRT station there if you don't drive.

That is where I was refering to. Was just there on Sat. Wife bought several bags of potting soil and along with pots and plants.

TH

There is a large nursery in Ekkamai road (Suk Soi 63) about 1km down off Sukhumvit on the right hand side.

They home-deliver too.

Agreed. This is a cracking place. However, when all the plants (5,000 baht worth!) we bought for our new pad started dying, I went back with photos, hoping for advice, and got fobbed off and shunted out the door. That was a little disappointing, though I'm sure you have greener fingers than me!

There is a large nursery in Ekkamai road (Suk Soi 63) about 1km down off Sukhumvit on the right hand side.

They home-deliver too.

Agreed. This is a cracking place. However, when all the plants (5,000 baht worth!) we bought for our new pad started dying, I went back with photos, hoping for advice, and got fobbed off and shunted out the door. That was a little disappointing, though I'm sure you have greener fingers than me!

Too much water...not enough water... shade... sun.. pests...fungus'...fertilizer... too much fertilizer.

Not easy to grow them indoors.

What the problem with Chatachuk? They sell everything you need from soil to plants to fertilizers, and cheap too.

Go up there during the week, no crowds at all and loads of plant shops are open, more than on the weekend it seems.

there must be someplace better than chatuchuk to buy good sized potted plants for a balcony...

a big nursery in bangkok somewhere?

thanks

1) On the same side as the Or Tor Kor Market on Kamphaeng Phet Road, just past it if you are on that side, drive in and park at some govt. building compound - lots of nurseries selling plants, pots, soil, everything you need.

2) If you are feeling more adventurous, on the Don Muang Tollway exit to Ngam Wong Wan Road - drive all the way to Bang Yai. Do not turn right to where Carrefour and Big C Bang Yai are, instead turn left - you immediately come to miles and miles of nurseries on that side of the road, and about the same the opposite side. I have found the opposite side to be not as good, but that depends on what you are looking for. Just about any plant you can find in Thailand will be on sale in one of the nurseries. It is quite a drive and with many many places to browse, I usually budget a half day at least. And pretty much fill the car! Prices are much cheaper than Bangkok and these ppl also sell wholesale so that also means generally cheaper. The more exotic and larger plants of course set you back more. Lots of pots on sale also.

You know the junction Pradith Manutham - Pracha Uthit road? (close to SC Park hotel)

Flag down a taxi, go towards out of town (north), direction Lat Prao, and just go straight. When the taximeter nears 60 baht watch out to your left and right. There are flower stalls everywhere.

• 11 years later...

Hello folks, I just want to share some updates on where to buy house plants especially if you are in Sukhumvit. 

Tops Supermarket (Mracle Mall) in Sukhumvit 41 is still selling ornamental plants, orchids and few herbs like peppers. I haven't seen basil or peppermint. 

Here's Phra Khanong, Sukhumvit 71, in Pridi Banomyong 36?? (not sure about the alley number). You will passed by Makro and Max Valu supermarkets. The small potted flowers are 30 baht while the ponsettias are around 150 baht. Tops Supermarket sells their ponsettias at 120 baht, which is cheaper.

IMG_20191214_154336.jpg

IMG_20191214_155456.jpg

IMG_20191214_155502.jpg

IMG_20191214_155504.jpg

IMG_20191214_155507_1.jpg

IMG_20191214_155908.jpg

Edited by Jozel
added prices on plants

And here's from Suan Luang. Thanks to this article, I bought my herbs. 

How to get there: Take BTS Sukhumvit all the way to Kasetsart station. You'll see the bus terminal 5 feet away. you can ride bus number 39 or the airconditioned bus 51. It's 12 stops before you reached the 11th Infantry Regiment. Maybe next year if they finish the BTS line all the way to 11th Infantry, it will be more convenient. 

I bought peppermints and basil for only 15 baht, and tomatoes for 30 baht. They also have rosemary and other herbs but they told me "it's finished." so best time to go there is on Sunday mornings. I took them home via bus and bts. 

IMG_20191222_112144.jpg

IMG_20191222_112924.jpg

IMG_20191222_115338.jpg

IMG_20191222_115622.jpg

IMG_20191222_115832.jpg

IMG_20191222_120650.jpg

IMG_20191222_120658.jpg

IMG_20191222_122848.jpg

IMG_20191222_130551.jpg

Lastly, Emquartier's Gourmet Market is selling rosemary for only 110 baht. 

IMG_20191216_180417.thumb.jpg.8891b4625f0cc2f4b7ffc68408df3f39.jpg

There's also a small flower shop near Fullerton Ekkamai selling Arabica plants for 250 baht and some ornamental plants but I find it expensive. 

IMG_20191210_115422.thumb.jpg.c443c1fbe17bcce262a7bde7a25c7270.jpg

IMG_20191216_180417.jpg

IMG_20191210_115408.jpg