Unconfirmed: Retirement visa O-A, New requirements

We have unconfirmed information that the requirements for retirement visas (NON-Immigrant "O-A")  beeing rised from currently 800,000 Baht to be 1,500,000 Baht. (Bank balance or combined pension/income per year)

The new regulations, if they are true, will be effective from July 2004, or maybe as as early as from August 26, 2003.

NOTE:

This is very vague information from the Immigration Bureau so far, but it seems to be in line with recent announced changes.

I am *very* sceptic to the quality of the details of this new requirement, though is from a "normally well informed source at the Immigration Bureau", but will keep you posted ASAP, of course.

Interresting.Obviously,they only wish to have wealthy "old" people (hum I am 51 ??? )

Little problem for the falang, 5000 bahts/year for retirement.Not too much.

1.5 mio bahts on an thai account during one day.Possible for a lot of farangs.Will only cost some more interests.

Big problem for them.All these rocketing prices (visa ....) confirm a general feeling.We cannot trust these guys.So why investing in LOS????

No more house built in the middle of nowhere at farang prices.So no employement

A lot more empty condos.Gooood for the rich thai banks (hum)

And the analysts foresee already a financial bubble in the construction in BKK.Again gooood for the rich thai banks (re hum)

They kill confidence,they prepare perfectly a "1997 remake".

I plan to retire in september in LOS but I think today I changed my mind on buying a condo.

:o

Wow, 1.5 million Baht. Being retired is hard pressed as it is in the times of today. Is this really going insane?  Something is up in the air concerning Thailand!.  I think that they see something about to happen within the Government, that the public is not being made aware of.  I am just going on a hunch using street sense here.  This bubble that was spoken before sort of kinda leaked out which blew their cover must be for real gang.  I got some kind of feeling Thailand is about to CRASH!  Either that or we finally have encountered racism at its best!  :blues:

:cool:   Well, my own feeling is that as long as my life in LOS is enjoyable, I will stay.  If life becomes too hard here, for whatever reason, I will leave.  I am sure there are other countries who would like to have my money.

so, im an american retired, married to a thai. what's the cheapest way to go and live in thailand,

Marriage only requires 250k in bank vice 800k for retirement this year (maybe more next year).  So the marriage would be cheaper for extensions of stay in Thailand.  You also have the option of multi entry visa from marriage but that will cost visa runs and the higher visa price compared to extensions; but might be an option for those that like to travel or have a problem with bank accounts here.

The marriage is cheaper.

• 3 weeks later...
I retired in June and am in Pattaya.  I have a small pension and can not afford the "new price."  If it really happens I probably will have to take a hard look at other countries to live in.  I am sure glad I decided not to buy a condo...that would sure trap me into staying.

I agree, nowhere has anyone posted these figures? The first thing is its 200.000 not 250.000 for a married person,  swear I never hear about this 8k too, my friend retired never shows any money in Thailand. He does however show confirmed evidence of his pensions, lets get it right guys ???

We have unconfirmed information that the requirements for retirement visas (NON-Immigrant "O-A")  beeing rised from currently 800,000 Baht to be 1,500,000 Baht. (Bank balance or combined pension/income per year)

The new regulations, if they are true, will be effective from July 2004, or maybe as as early as from August 26, 2003.

NOTE:

This is very vague information from the Immigration Bureau so far, but it seems to be in line with recent announced changes.

I am *very* sceptic to the quality of the details of this new requirement, though is from a "normally well informed source at the Immigration Bureau", but will keep you posted ASAP, of course.

George, thanks for this information.  Because we are getting close to August 26 now, do you expect a confirmation of this before then?

Specifically, my questions are:

(1) Is the effective date August 26, 2003 for the bank balance requirement for the 1-Year Retirement Visa rising from 800,000 baht to 1,500,000 baht?

(2) If so, is 1,500,000 baht required only for NEW applications, not RENEWALS?

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE:

Now that we've passed August 26, did this go into effect?

Thanks.

George. Think that last post is a wind-up. If we don't know anything here in Thailand, why would Houston know. Also seems to have gone quiet regarding any confirmation from him. Suggest we just wait and see. Still the same notice at Nongkai Imm. to the effect that 1.5m only applies to NEW applications. I can not confirm that though at the moment.