Images Of Chiang Mai

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Colonel - is that Sirikit Dam at the end?

JxP

Looks like Bhumipol Dam to me.

Sorry "JuniorExPat", :bah: but "Blinky Bill" is correct. :D

60 odd km north of Tak.

By the way "JuniorExPat" where is "Sirikit Dam" :D ? might pop up to it next time I am that way.

Austhaied Posted Today, 2008-02-06 01:33:58

Sorry to have missed you while you were here.

Yes same here. I did give you a bell, but no one answered hence I left couple of drinks behind the bar for you. :o

My time was limited, maybe if you come to Bangers & Mash we could meet up,

and to all of you thank you for your comments :D

Kan Win :D

By the way "JuniorExPat" where is "Sirikit Dam" :o ? might pop up to it next time I am that way.

Sirikit Dam is in Uttaradit Province, Tha Pla district. Built mid-late 60's.

Nowhere near as spectacular as Bhumipol Dam

It's the largest body of water on the map of Thailand . . . . I think . . . . Blinky Bill will no doubt confirm or correct. :D

JxP

Believe it or not I bumped this thread for a constructive reason and got sidetracked into being a smart @rse!

Mods - how about a photo album/pinned thread for pics of Chiang Mai?

JxP

Pinned topics tend to be created for one of three reasons:

1) it is a continual reference of information about the topic or in this case the CM region - eg Chiang Mai contact list of hospitals, lawyers, plumbers, hamburger joints etc

2) a popular topic that continually comes up and many of the posters enjoy eg "where is the best hamburger in Thailand" (ok only kidding). In our case it is "best places in CM to eat"

3) a thread that is of particular interest to one of the moderators of the subforum.

I suggest that if the members regularly post photographs on this thread it would be a worthy contender for a pinned subject.

The ball or in this case the image is in your hands - do with it as you will.

CB

• 1 year later...
Good idea "JuniorExPat" I'll second that :D every other sub-forum has it pinned "Images of ................ :)

Kan Win :D

I agree. It took a bit of searching to finally find this thread. I just LOVED the misty, rainy photos of Doi Suthep. I've got a lot of nice photos from up there, but all are on sunny days. Riding my bike up in the rain never occured to me. And, on my last 5 months in Chiang Mai I hardly saw any rain at all.

I for one would much prefer a pinned topic of "Images of Chiang Mai" at the top of the list instead of "Dying at home in Chiang Mai". Even if it is well intentioned and useful, Could it be more dreadful? Kind of gives newcomers and curious people the impression that this is where westerners come to die. What a downer.

I love photos as most of you know and have thousands I've taken in Thailand. Here are just a few taken locally.

From the road that circles the little lake just outside of town... (north west corner) I believe it is 3 or 4 kilometer walk around the lake and a few spur roads at the far end to explore.

Chiang_Mai_lake_8.jpg

Chiang_Mai_lake_9.jpg

Chiang_Mai_lake_6.jpg

Chiang_Mai_lake_7.jpg

Chiang_Mai_lake_4.jpg

It makes a nice day outing with friends and there's plenty of places to eat. It's pretty busy with Thai people on the weekends.

Ian_Bom.jpg

I for one would much prefer a pinned topic of "Images of Chiang Mai" at the top of the list instead of "Dying at home in Chiang Mai". Even if it is well intentioned and useful, Could it be more dreadful? Kind of gives newcomers and curious people the impression that this is where westerners come to die. What a downer.

From some of the responses I thought some had already died. :)

When I'm in Chiang Mai I'm fortunate to stay in corner room in hotel not far from the airport. There is a small pond just outside my window and there is always something happening.

Room_view_3.jpg

Room_view_1.jpg

Local fishermen are always using their dip nets in the small stream, or tossing throw net on the pond. They catch small origami and tilapia fish.

Room_view_2.jpg

I enjoy watching the bird life and on a couple of occasions have seen cobras. Unfortunately, the snakes were always gone by the time I grabbed my camera.

shore_bird.jpg

One can only deduce that the mods of this forum are so close to it, they want to keep the 'Dying' info right at their fingertips. Hence right at the top of the list! :)

:D:D:D

Yah, but I think most of them are younger than me. :D I'm too mean to die.

Dining out with friends seems to be the most popular topic on the Chiang Mai forum. I think this was at some pseudo-cowboy restaurant in the mall.

Lionels_supper_2.jpg

Edited by IanForbes

Here are some other scenes around Chiang Mai.

This veggie lady has to be carrying at least 40 kilos or more in those baskets. She has to walk with a bounce in her step to keep in sequence with the baskets that bob up and down.

Veggie_lady.jpg

Thais love their trees and I like how they move the roads around them.

Big_tree_1.jpg

Big_tree_2.sized.jpg

Chiang_Mai_street_1.jpg

Chiang_Mai_street.jpg

Thais can sleep anywhere at any time and eventually they sleep so long that somebody comes along and covers them in gold paint.

Reclining_Budha.jpg

A few old pictures

Pra Lampuwaen near Phrao

hardmonksmall.jpg

Lahu Village near Pai 1989

pai1989village.jpg

Akka lady getting her smoke 1989

akkaladysmoke.jpg

River Boat 1993

boat1.jpg

Akka man getting his smoke 1989

smoke.jpg