Inexpensive Audiophile Amps Made In Thailand?

buzzer

Hi,

A guy I used to know in Pattaya knew someone - I believe an American - who manufactured monoblock amps here. Sounded good and weren't expensive. I'm looking for at least 4-6 individual amps, or amps with a total of 6 channels + subwoofer output. If they're good ones they don't have to be tube (valve) amps.

I have what have been called the "best bookend speakers of all time" Six Spica TC-60 Speakers. I used 2 of them for recording monitors, with a reworked Hafler amp and a 400 watt Bag End Infrasub-18 Subwoofer. It was sublime. They've been in storage for almost 10 years. I added 4 more Spicas, but now don't have the amps I need. I could easily have a tremendous quality 5.1 or 6.1 system, but for the amps.

The Spicas are 60W (120W peak) and can't take 'house rocking' volume levels. That's not what they're about. In the mid-90's they retailed for $1,000 a pair, and are no longer made. They have banana plug inputs. The Bag End is a different story. Made primarily for an overkill home-theater, it has a built in crossover, and has a low-end way below the threshold of human hearing @ 8Hz, and retailed at $1600 10 years ago. I don't need an amp for it, though seat belts would be helpful. When I used it with the 2 Spicas, I don't think I ever had it turned up above 2 - literally! It has RCA inputs.

If anyone knows of anything about this amp builder, or any quality amps available in Thailand, please let me know. If I don't get this problem solved look in the classifieds here in a couple months. I have an excellent system I'm using now, but nothing ever beat these babies!

Thanks,

Buzzer

This topic will probably get moved to the Technology subforum but I'll answer now:

There is an American here who was/is manufacturing speakers made from granite (search the said subforum above for details..I remember a conversation about him with his website link 1+ years ago). As far as I know he didn't make amps though.

The only amps I know made in Thailand are valve amps (15-30 watts) by TS Audio. There are various others too which kind of look DIY. If I were you I would hunt out the second-hand shops where you will most definitely find excellent monos (transistor and valve) by Asian, American and European manufacturers. If that's of interest to you and you're in Bangkok, PM me.

• Like 1

Norh manufactures monoblocks in Thailand that could be what you are looking for. (I planned getting some a while back but have not yet started the assembly of the valve pre-amp that was to power it.)

A google search on that name should take you to the website - this is the same company that makes marble speakers using scanspeak drivers.

Good luck and please let us know how you go as the reviews to date on these monoblocks have been good and it would be nice to hear the views of someone in the industry.

Hi,

A guy I used to know in Pattaya knew someone - I believe an American - who manufactured monoblock amps here. Sounded good and weren't expensive. I'm looking for at least 4-6 individual amps, or amps with a total of 6 channels + subwoofer output. If they're good ones they don't have to be tube (valve) amps.

I have what have been called the "best bookend speakers of all time" Six Spica TC-60 Speakers. I used 2 of them for recording monitors, with a reworked Hafler amp and a 400 watt Bag End Infrasub-18 Subwoofer. It was sublime. They've been in storage for almost 10 years. I added 4 more Spicas, but now don't have the amps I need. I could easily have a tremendous quality 5.1 or 6.1 system, but for the amps.

The Spicas are 60W (120W peak) and can't take 'house rocking' volume levels. That's not what they're about. In the mid-90's they retailed for $1,000 a pair, and are no longer made. They have banana plug inputs. The Bag End is a different story. Made primarily for an overkill home-theater, it has a built in crossover, and has a low-end way below the threshold of human hearing @ 8Hz, and retailed at $1600 10 years ago. I don't need an amp for it, though seat belts would be helpful. When I used it with the 2 Spicas, I don't think I ever had it turned up above 2 - literally! It has RCA inputs.

If anyone knows of anything about this amp builder, or any quality amps available in Thailand, please let me know. If I don't get this problem solved look in the classifieds here in a couple months. I have an excellent system I'm using now, but nothing ever beat these babies!

Thanks,

Buzzer

You're definately in the wrong country for audiophile stuff!!!

It is ain't big enough and loud enough to shake the whole village and have a built in mic input then it just ain't worth looking at! :o

In some respects I agree, but I work for a company that makes audio-phile balanced armature driver grade headsets. (IME) They are of the same qualtiy, if not better than Shure, ER, Westone, or Ultimate Ears.

You're definately in the wrong country for audiophile stuff!!!

It is ain't big enough and loud enough to shake the whole village and have a built in mic input then it just ain't worth looking at! :o

In some respects I agree, but I work for a company that makes audio-phile balanced armature driver grade headsets. (IME) They are of the same qualtiy, if not better than Shure, ER, Westone, or Ultimate Ears.

IME is the name? Is there a shop, website? Google search came up empty... thx...

IME = in my experience (if an sms abbr). Coincidentally IEM = inner ear monitor and may be one of the products of his Co. in case a typo/transpose?

I am new to Thailand and audio enthusiast so interested in this thread(e.g. where to shop).

Also, owning higher end IEMs, sensaphonics, and also headphones of (R10 & Orpheus) curious what company compares with the likes of Shure with operations in Thailand. Please do tell, may want to give them a listen.

I sent you both a PM

Regarding R10 and Orpheus, if I am correct, those are both dynamic drivers, which is a different technology from balanced armature drivers. I saw on the net that the r10's go for 10K, & the Orpheus go for around 30K that is if you can find any one of those two, because apparently they are no longer made.

I have never heard any of those two head phones, but for the price they must be simply awesome.

Balanced Armature Driver (BAD) headsets typically run about 100$ USD to 1150$ USD, so based on price alone, I doubt they open the door to acoustic bliss as well as the aboven mentioned head sets. But at least they are more affordable, small, decrease back ground noise via isolation, and in my opinion sound great, especially when one considers the size and cost. I mean really are you going to tote a 30K head phone on an airplane?

I love IEMs, and I am listening to them right now as I type. I wish I could give them away.... What can I say, sound is my hobby!

The Sensaphonics uses a vanilla BAD for bass, and for the size it really could have used a larger driver in order to deliver more bass. It would be essentially twice the cost of that particular driver, but well worth it. To me the Sensaphonic and a lot of the other choices out there just do not deliver on the bass. Although, the UM2 does use the larger driver and delivers a good deal of bass... but it is ugly.

Folks take care, and enjoy your music.

• 11 months later...

To answer the question: Yes, there are world class audiophile amps made in Thailand. Reading the above posts, it is obvious, they are all made by non-audiophiles.

Therefore, real audiophile gear would most likely not be suitable for the original poster. It would be better to go for so called "consumer grade" amps available at department stores.

Perhaps, an low entry point would be the local made Magnet brand of amplifiers in the Solid State direction, or T.S. Audio for tube gear. Norh sold tube gear made by T.S. Audio a while ago, but not any

longer.

Real audiophile tube amplifiers in Thailand are made by a company called SAC, for example. This, of course, are inexpensive only in regard to the prices charged for similar gear in western countries, but

not in relation to amplifiers sold in department stores.

Bangkok offers an extensive selection of real audiophile gear, new and second hand, and has a large

circle of audiphile Thais, yearly high-end shows and so on.

This topic will probably get moved to the Technology subforum but I'll answer now:

hi ,if you live in bkk,go to fortune tower at pra ram cau and go toi think the 3rd floor.there is a booth where

a guy that sells used equipment including amps ,recievers,speakers etc.you can probably find what you are looking for. hope this helps.you can phone me at 0875923969

There is an American here who was/is manufacturing speakers made from granite (search the said subforum above for details..I remember a conversation about him with his website link 1+ years ago). As far as I know he didn't make amps though.

The only amps I know made in Thailand are valve amps (15-30 watts) by TS Audio. There are various others too which kind of look DIY. If I were you I would hunt out the second-hand shops where you will most definitely find excellent monos (transistor and valve) by Asian, American and European manufacturers. If that's of interest to you and you're in Bangkok, PM me.