Buddhism And Guilt

daizeez

i'm curious...i have the impression that judaism/christianity in the west has bred a strong sense of guilt into our culture. i think this guilt/conscience resides in many people, whether or not they consider themselves to be religious.

does anyone here have any thoughts or comments on how buddhism affects the conscience?

does anyone here have any thoughts or comments on how buddhism affects the conscience?

I always liken having a bad conscience to that of karma.Sometimes when we remember past deeds,at no defined time, the memory can hurt us emotionally .Karma operates in much the same way.We cannot escape the consequences of our actions -whether for good or ill.At some time the inherent causes that we have made will reach fruition and be manifested in our lives.

The thing is ,of course, to realise that we can change our karma at any given moment.Karma is not fatalistic-it is an active phenomena.I forget who said-perhaps the Buddha himself-'that if we wish to understand our present,then we need to look at the causes that we made in the past: If we wish to know our future,then we should be aware of the causes that we make in the present'.

As Dharma practioners we naturally develop Wisdom.That is,the Wisdom to act for our own karmic benefit and for the benefit for others.We thus create good effects for ourselves that also profoundly affect our environment.A good and clear conscience,based upon our actions, is the most condusive (Wisdom borne) entity to peace within.

As a practioner of the Dharma taught in the Lotus Sutra, my own experience is that when I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo good karma begins to work on my behalf.

Kind regards.