Water Pump Installation

It all works fine, must be in the blood, dad was a plumber.

Here's the drawing of my pump installation.

The whole system is made with 1/2 pipe except for the lenght that runs from the cistern to the pump which is a 1 inch pipe, the pump has 1 inch female inlet and outlet, for the outlet, use the 1 inch male in the outlet and then use a reducer to 1/2 inch to connect to the pipe that goes to the house.

I've also installed a switch for the pump right outside the washroom (next to the water heater switch) since we normally only use the pump when showering. There's no need to have it running to wash your hands , flush the toilet or wash the dishes etc.

I've also grounded the pump's metal frame to a copper pin I've hammered into the ground.

I'll add real pics later on.

gallery_6606_83_581.jpg

• 2 months later...

The neighbour was having problems with pressure even though he has a pump installed. We dug up most of the pipes from the water main to the underground tank and his above ground pump. The way the pipes had been connected, the pump was sending 50% of the water to the house and the other 50% back into the tank :o

There are about 200 new houses in our project and they all seem to have been connected this way. I drove around on the motorcycle and checked out the installations where the pipes are still above ground, all done wrong. What puzzles me is that they were not all done by the same contractor, seems to be the way to do it here...

If you want to test if your pump is sending water back to your tank:

Turn off the water main at the street.

Turn on the pump and a water tap.

If you hear water flowing back into your tank, it's been done wrong since that water came from the tank, was sucked by the pump and sent back to the tank.

VERY IMPORTANT that you have a flow valve installed just after the pipe that goes from the main to the tank. (see the RED ARROW, top left in diagram above). Prevents the pump from sending water back in the tank.

If you need a water tap in the carpark or outside anywhere, be sure to install the tap after that flow valve if you want pressure.

gallery_6606_83_20848.jpg