Honda Vfr400 And Cbr400

JonnyF

I’m thinking about getting a slightly bigger road bike (250 – 500cc) for longish journeys (50km’s plus). I don’t want to spend more than 100,000 baht because I will only use it occasionally so the best option seems to be a tidy/well maintained CBR400 or VFR400.

Does anyone own or have experience with either of these bikes in Thailand? In particular I’d be interested to know about the reliability, cost/availability of spares, running costs, things to be wary of when buying etc.

Do I have to be wary of it having a “re-cycled” green book or is this more of an issue for the bigger/more modern road bikes?

Thanks in advance...

Had my CBR for about 4 years. Put about 30K km on it. No real major problem, just the normal maintenance stuff. Parts are not too expensive, 2nd stuff are readily available, though prices have really shot up these past two years. There are fewer and fewer of them around. I've had several offers to buy mine, but I doubt I'd ever sell it. It's a good bike for mid-distance rides and has plenty of power for Thai roads. In traffic around town, it's a bit of pain though usable.

I think one of the members on the phuket forum bought a VFR and rode it down from BK. Do a search on his thread.

Beware of crashed bikes, bent frames, bent forks, bent dics, etc.

Most bikes have gone through the ringer if they're rentals. Find a good mechanic and have him look over the bike.

Whatever you do, don't ask the mechanic what he thinks of the bike in front of the owner. Ask him after the bike and the owner are gone :o

They're great bikes. I wonder why there isn't a CBR/VFR400 club thread like the one they have for the CBR150 :D

Had my CBR for about 4 years. Put about 30K km on it. No real major problem, just the normal maintenance stuff. Parts are not too expensive, 2nd stuff are readily available, though prices have really shot up these past two years. There are fewer and fewer of them around. I've had several offers to buy mine, but I doubt I'd ever sell it. It's a good bike for mid-distance rides and has plenty of power for Thai roads. In traffic around town, it's a bit of pain though usable.

I think one of the members on the phuket forum bought a VFR and rode it down from BK. Do a search on his thread.

Beware of crashed bikes, bent frames, bent forks, bent dics, etc.

Most bikes have gone through the ringer if they're rentals. Find a good mechanic and have him look over the bike.

Whatever you do, don't ask the mechanic what he thinks of the bike in front of the owner. Ask him after the bike and the owner are gone :o

They're great bikes. I wonder why there isn't a CBR/VFR400 club thread like the one they have for the CBR150 :D

owned both, and the major difference is riding position. the cbr is a more upright bike and for taller folks the riding position is more comfortable. it is also easier to get the front wheel up on a cbr than a vfr

i prefer the vfr. it has a low riding position and while this can get uncomfortable on long trips i never found i was riding it for more than 2 hours at a time. the bike just felt more agressive. i also think with the single arm rear supension it is a mucch prettier bike.

i still own it but havent taken it out for over a year, i just cant be bothered to arrive everywhere sweating anymore

both will do around 180+, though they are most settled at 140 to 160 on the highway

i also have an nsr 250 rr 2 stroke that would keep pace with them both

:D

Well it was me that bought the VFR and rode it down from BKK to Phuket - did it in one hit as well and only really the last few hours were a bit uncomfortable but then I am six foot and 100 kilo's and a 400 supersport isn't made for that..........

So far the bike has been great, lots of fun, pretty much zero expense (except the lower half fairing being repaired) and a 1000 baht to have part of the water pump repaired.

Had a lot of bike over the years - and crashed a fair few too :o - but I think size wise both for getting in and out of traffic and also for engine power the 400 hundreds are the way to go.

The whine of the gear driven cams is just mental - it just entices you to go faster ............

I went to BKK to buy one as the prices on Phuket are just ridiculous for the most part (hardly ever under 100k) and the bulk of them are beat up old rentals motors that may or may not have had a new paint job.

Getting in Bangkok was almost half the price. The only hassle / delay has been swopping it from BKK plates to Phuket plates but it was at the transport office the other day being inspected and having photos etc taken - passed ok so book should be on the way.

Having had CBR's in the past (although only a 400 briefly) I can say that the VFR is that much more fun, as i said the whine of the gears is great, the single sided swing arm looks the dogs and they are just that little bit more exclusive than the average CBR. Having played / ridden it for a few months now I can see why when they were available in the UK from authorised dealers new at more money than the VFR 750 people paid the money. The handling is awesome even now when the design is almost yrs old

In fact I gonna head out now and give my NC30 a good thrashing :D its what they were designed for..........

Thanks for the replies, it’s kind of confirmed what I thought…

This is primarily going to be a fun bike - I won’t be riding it daily. Combining this with my love of the single sided swing arm and I think it’s going to have to be the VFR.

A 400 seems the perfect compromise between the “big” bikes and the CBR150 which I feel will come up a little short in the fun department, even though it's more practical if you’re going to be using it every day. Since I won’t be (I have a Nouvo as a workhorse and I’m more than happy with it) and there seems to be no major issues with the VFR, then I’m gonna have to take the plunge.

I missed out on an immaculate VFR400 for 75,000 in Phuket a couple of months ago, I’m kicking myself now but I’m sure there will be others as long as I’m patient.

i would think good examples are getting rarer every year so i would look at getting either as long as its low milage and generally in good shape. Give the back suspension a bounce as new shock is expensive to replace.

I've got an RVF myself, which has USD forks which i think look great, plastics are getting tatty but still a great bike to ride and plenty fast enough for the road (but have just bought myself a shiny zx6rr :o )

• 1 year later...

anyone here knows a good place to get parts for the vfr 400 in bangkok?

got an nc 24.. yeah its a bit old but the engines pretty good! exteriors need some work..

if someone could let me no it'd be great! here in india 400cc is perfect anything more is a bit much!

n how does a cbr 400rr perform as compared to a vfr. is it outright faster or just marginal! heres a pic of the vfr. i no it needs work, hoping finish it soon.

post-91787-1253365905_thumb.jpg

I have and prefer the NC30 over the CBR400. Neither are comfortable for long-distance, and I wouldn't want to do more than 400km per day on one :)

It's great and fun though, but don't get too excited on these crappy ill-maintained Thai roadways. Take it to the track to experience the best it has to offer. I also found the CBR400 to be a heavier steerer compared to the NC30. Spare parts are fairly easy to find due to the possibility of universal parts fitments.

Just to make you want one more, heres some inspiration :D

img0073yrz.jpg

img4944.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

myspacebackut0.jpg

Edited by Zzinged

wow! that looks beautiful!

cheers! you got all your bike work done in bangkok?

i'm in india here its pretty difficult to get parts. a friend of mine is heading to bangkok, singapore in a day or two.

any ideas where from i cud get the following parts:

VFR 400(nc 24)

-clutch plates

-steel plates

-clutch cable

-fork oil seals

n i don think anyone has an nc 24 hardly ever see anyone talkin about it! do you see any there?

and wat i really love about the nc 30 is that the exhaust is on the left, giving you a full view of the amazing wheels.

its single side swing arm really makes the bike a looker!!

also was wondering if there were body kits for my 400 there. n can we get our hands on a after market exhaust??

n i really like the paint job.

cheers. :)

Thanks Andy! You could try hitting up Tyga Performance. They would be a good place to start for the parts you need. Otherwise, there isn't any one-stop shop in Bangkok for parts. You could try calling Red Baron as thewy have a parts warehouse in the back that may have what you're looking for. The warehouse is mainly second-hand stuff shipped in from Japan though, so it's hit-or-miss. To be honest, I've always gotten my NC30 stuff thorugh my mechanic, so I'm sorry I couldn't help you more.

Johnny if you still read this thread and you get either bike, make sure to become friends with your regular mechanic :)

JonnyF, you mentioned 250-500cc, have you thought about a Ninja 250. Probably only about 20kph slower than the cbr400? but I've seen them on bahtsold for the money you're talking about.

Yeah, I made the original query quite a while back when I was living in Phuket. I've since moved to Bangkok and I tried to source a clean 400 but with all the issues over books and all the police checkpoints here I ended up buying a 250 Ninja the day they were released.

11,000 kms on it so far, including longish trips to Chiang Mai and Samui and it was definitely the right choice for me. If they move manufacturing of the ZX6R to Thailand as suggested then I'll buy one of those when they're released here (assuming it's competitively priced like the ER6n/f and Ninja 250), but until then I'm more than happy with the 250 for the riding I'm currently doing.

Thanks a tonne! :)

i'll check that out! my only worry wud be how to get it down to india! i think i'd have to send it via DHL or some service like tat! how are you finding maintenance of your bike?

if you don mind me asking wat are the changes you've made to your nc 30??

JonnyF, you mentioned 250-500cc, have you thought about a Ninja 250. Probably only about 20kph slower than the cbr400? but I've seen them on bahtsold for the money you're talking about.

Yeah, I made the original query quite a while back when I was living in Phuket. I've since moved to Bangkok and I tried to source a clean 400 but with all the issues over books and all the police checkpoints here I ended up buying a 250 Ninja the day they were released.

11,000 kms on it so far, including longish trips to Chiang Mai and Samui and it was definitely the right choice for me. If they move manufacturing of the ZX6R to Thailand as suggested then I'll buy one of those when they're released here (assuming it's competitively priced like the ER6n/f and Ninja 250), but until then I'm more than happy with the 250 for the riding I'm currently doing.

And next time I'll check the date of the OP :)

• 2 months later...
:D

Well it was me that bought the VFR and rode it down from BKK to Phuket - did it in one hit as well and only really the last few hours were a bit uncomfortable but then I am six foot and 100 kilo's and a 400 supersport isn't made for that..........

So far the bike has been great, lots of fun, pretty much zero expense (except the lower half fairing being repaired) and a 1000 baht to have part of the water pump repaired.

Had a lot of bike over the years - and crashed a fair few too :) - but I think size wise both for getting in and out of traffic and also for engine power the 400 hundreds are the way to go.

The whine of the gear driven cams is just mental - it just entices you to go faster ............

I went to BKK to buy one as the prices on Phuket are just ridiculous for the most part (hardly ever under 100k) and the bulk of them are beat up old rentals motors that may or may not have had a new paint job.

Getting in Bangkok was almost half the price. The only hassle / delay has been swopping it from BKK plates to Phuket plates but it was at the transport office the other day being inspected and having photos etc taken - passed ok so book should be on the way.

Having had CBR's in the past (although only a 400 briefly) I can say that the VFR is that much more fun, as i said the whine of the gears is great, the single sided swing arm looks the dogs and they are just that little bit more exclusive than the average CBR. Having played / ridden it for a few months now I can see why when they were available in the UK from authorised dealers new at more money than the VFR 750 people paid the money. The handling is awesome even now when the design is almost yrs old

In fact I gonna head out now and give my NC30 a good thrashing :D its what they were designed for..........

You mentioned problems with swopping plates to Phuket plates?

i'm buying an NC30 next month from a guy just outside Bangkok, but i live in Korat.

I'm not really sure how the registration thing works...will i need to change the plates? I was planning on buyin the bike (it's in Pathum Thani) and riding it up to Korat. Will i get problems from the Thai Police? The bike comes with green book.

Whatever you do with a vfr400, make sure you check over absolutely everything, and make sure it is in good condition.

These are older bikes and have been through a ton of shit. I had one before and it was dam_n fun. Great for my first large cc bike. Slim bike as well for traffic.

But it came with a ton of problems and I put 30000 baht into it....

Check everything. Suspension, forks, consider tire wear (9000 baht for new ones), chain, sprockets, brakes, chassis wear, and make sure the cooling system is working fine with no leaks and a good pump. Because it's a V4 is likes to get hot. Let it run for a while in the sun, rev it, and make sure the engine does fine and doesn't stall or sound bad. Look at the temperature meter as well.

Biggest problems with mine was a ton of parts that needed to be replaced in the cooling system, overheating and stalling when it got very hot, and the front and rear shocks. (front ones were leaking too much, and the rear shock was fuc_ked and I ended up selling it before changing it)

But it is a dam_n good bike and there are always parts, or there was never a wait for parts at my mechanic. Never any ordering process. Just a drive to RedBarron or parts in shop already.

The price you will pay for a good one, will be more than the downpayment of a ER6.. And maintaining one, long term, will almost certainly cost far more than the ER6.

So if you want to ride, as opposed to keep chasing spares and problems, the cost is not dissimilar for a new bike as it is for an old one.. Mile for mile..

Between the 2 I know the VFR is considered better from a racers perspective but I always felt the CBR just seemed that bit more solid and reliable. Tho with any of these 10 - 20 year old machines it will be on a case by case basis. The CBR I had was one of the few bikes I owned here that never required surgery.

I owned a VFR400 for a couple of years and bombed all over northern Thailand. Paid 85k for it back in '04 with green book/plate. Sold it for 40k a few years later as I left it with a Thai mechanic who completely screwed the bike up! I wanted him to change the exhaust and give it a paint job - it wasn't the same bike I got back. It revved higher, had less torque etc.

During the good times, it was brilliant. I had a thai teacher friend offer me his CBR400 + 30k... his was a nice CBR, lovely balanced cams and well tuned motor, but when I rode it, it just wasn't a VFR.

Bought my CBR 400 for 75,000 baht, with legit green book and have owned it for over a year now.

P1040259.jpg

Parts are pretty cheap, sometimes have to be ordered in from Bangkok (a few day wait), in rare cases from Japan (two week wait).

Because the bike is highly compatible with the CB 400 I've never had a problem with locating parts.

Not too heavy and still doable in heavy traffic for filtering etc.

Pulls in about 45 - 50 mpg, does about 180 - 200 kph top-end (proven when keeping up with the SSR lunatics :D )

Cruises at about 80 - 120 kph.

Never had a problem long-range touring. I think the record I've managed is Kamphaeng Pet to Chonburi in one go, that was pretty cool.

I've got a tank bag and panniers for gear.

Make sure the bikes serial numbers match the green book, crash damage, usual things like that.

Engines are strong. Got 50,000+ kms on mine and no problems yet.

The forward riding position takes some getting used to, the stock mirrors on mine were shte and useless, but you can get good aftermarket parts for this bike.

I'll probably change or upgrade in a years time for a newer one etc...

Don't be put off buying 2nd hand. It's a good thing, compared to the 65,000 baht I paid for a CBR 150 the extra 10,000 baht got me a good machine, with more power and that bit more comfort for touring around the country :D

Buying new is a money pit :)

Edited by JimsKnight

Bought my CBR 400 for 75,000 baht, with legit green book and have owned it for over a year now.

Beautiful bike. Seems kind of familiar too. There's some video of a very similar bike on the loose on the streets of Pattaya on a certain fireblades website. :):D