Insulated Concrete Form (icf) 'workgroup'

Khun Jean

I have just joined this forum and have read with interest the various posts.<div><br></div><div>To dispel several of the objections voiced in the posts.</div><div><br></div><div>1- ICFs are manufactured in Bangkok</div><div>2- There are concrete pumps all over Thailand and readily available</div><div>3- ICFs are perfect for the tropics since you keep your home much cooler even with out an air conditioner and with an air conditioner you will reduce energy consumption by approx half</div><div>4-There is no need to build column and beam just put the wall up and pour </div><div>5- I will agree that most concrete forming is not for do it your selfers but there ICFs that can be done by anyone this type is being produce in Bangkok </div><div>6- they are cost effective even with the low labor costs </div><div><br></div><div>I have move here to retire from the ICF industry which help start, but I have found that i miss the action too much so we are building here with ICFs, Also I have been in the concrete industry for 50 years.</div><div>Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have </div><div><br></div><div> </div>

• Like 1

I have just joined this forum and have read with interest the various posts.

To dispel several of the objections voiced in the posts.

1- ICFs are manufactured in Bangkok.

2- There are concrete pumps all over Thailand and readily available.

3- ICFs are perfect for the tropics since you keep your home much cooler even without an air conditioner and without an air conditioner you will reduce energy & consumption by approx half.

4-There is no need to build column and beam just put the wall up and pour.

5- I will agree that most concrete forming is not for do it yourselfers but there ICFs that can be done by anyone this type is being produce in Bangkok.

6- They are cost effective even with the low labor costs, I have move here to retire from the ICF industry but I have found that i miss the action too much so we are building here with ICFs.

Also I have been in the concrete industry for 50 years.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Sorry had to tidy the post up :D .

Interesting stuff, did you get a building permit OK to build in ICF.

• 1 year later...

Hello, Was wondering if anyone has built a home in Thailand out of the icf blocks since the first question was asked? where you got the blocks from? how did the home turn out and would you recommend building a home out of icf blocks.

• 5 years later...
On 1/25/2013 at 9:15 PM, Fabes said:

Hello, Was wondering if anyone has built a home in Thailand out of the icf blocks since the first question was asked? where you got the blocks from? how did the home turn out and would you recommend building a home out of icf blocks.

It's been a few years since this thread was started but has anyone yet to build a house with these ICF blocks yet? What's the pro's and con's please? Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2011 at 8:52 AM, RonArdres said:

I have just joined this forum and have read with interest the various posts.<div><br></div><div>To dispel several of the objections voiced in the posts.</div><div><br></div><div>1- ICFs are manufactured in Bangkok</div><div>2- There are concrete pumps all over Thailand and readily available</div><div>3- ICFs are perfect for the tropics since you keep your home much cooler even with out an air conditioner and with an air conditioner you will reduce energy consumption by approx half</div><div>4-There is no need to build column and beam just put the wall up and pour </div><div>5- I will agree that most concrete forming is not for do it your selfers but there ICFs that can be done by anyone this type is being produce in Bangkok </div><div>6- they are cost effective even with the low labor costs </div><div><br></div><div>I have move here to retire from the ICF industry which help start, but I have found that i miss the action too much so we are building here with ICFs, Also I have been in the concrete industry for 50 years.</div><div>Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have </div><div><br></div><div> </div>

This makes a change from the many stupid comments based on ignorance in this thread. There are many Youtube videos by companies in the US such as BuildBlock, Numura and FoxBlock. Their main advantages of ICFs are you can build against floods, wind speeds up to 250 mph and the vibration forces of earthquakes in a cost effective manner. The thermal efficiency reduces energy costs as much as 70% in both cold or hot climates. Correctly built it is unlikely you would ever need aircon. The basis of ICF is the polystyrene forms and the power to weight ratio of the 'styrene makes it the strongest material in the world to build with. With the concrete and the rebars in the assembly, you have a much superior build. The fact that they build commercial buildings in this type of systems and the tight building regulations (Codes) in the US. ICFs started in Europe about 30 years ago, which I saw being built into hotels at that time. They have gained increasing popularity in the US since the beginning of this century. Anyone who wishes to comment on this should do their own research.

• Haha 1