Fishing

longneck

I'm living in Mae sot.

Spend most of me days with fishing in two great lakes in Mae sot and Mae ramat.

Big water and deep about 30 meter. See very big fish jumping, think it's carp or giant catfish.

Small fish like perch and barb are easy to catch .

Tried with live bait(small barb),groundbait, bread etc.

Only one time hit on live perch but me rod broke :o . Locals told me it was giant snakehead.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm living in Mae sot.

Spend most of me days with fishing in two great lakes in Mae sot and Mae ramat.

Big water and deep about 30 meter. See very big fish jumping, think it's carp or giant catfish.

Small fish like perch and barb are easy to catch .

Tried with live bait(small barb),groundbait, bread etc.

Only one time hit on live perch but me rod broke :o . Locals told me it was giant snakehead.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

YOu can more easily snap your rod over your knee, and this will also save you time and effort ;-)

Sorry, no idea, just great to hear you are getting some good fishing in; perhaps a different set up for the bigger fishies and heavier tackle?

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like a great spot. Im going up to central thailand soon for some fishing any chance of telling me where this lake is? If big fish suggest fishing rod with at least 3lb test curve should do the job for the bigger fish

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know any good fishing spots near Nakhon Sawan?

Hi i was a salmon fishing guide in Canada for over 25 years and hunted all my life,i fish many time at Sirikit dam in northen Thailand for jungle perch and giant snakehead,the best is to use a floting lure that look like a frog and retrive it as fast as you can on the surface of water very productive good fishing

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

OP, you need a large heavy duty spinning reel spooled with 60 pound test or more with a very heavy duty rod when fishing in Thailand. The fish are just such huge powerful lunkers. Small lightweight North American style gear is useless. Upgrade gear with several thousand baht. Even guides sometimes lack heavy enough gear as good gear is not cheap.

I just caught the fish of my life last week at Bosang fishing park near Chiang Mai. A 60 pound Mekong Cat. I had a small reel with 20 pound test get all the line stripped out within 5 minutes of making my 1st cast and then I had an over sized spinning reel with 60 pound test thin red line manage the lunker freshwater shark. I had the time of my life. Needless to say, I blew a servo motor in my arm and shorted a few leg circuits from being pulled into the lake during the 40 minute challenge. And this one is just a baby only 1/10 the size of the big mama fish. LOL

The Robot

Edited by RobotTeacher

OP, you need a large heavy duty spinning reel spooled with 60 pound test or more with a very heavy duty rod when fishing in Thailand. The fish are just such huge powerful lunkers. Small lightweight North American style gear is useless. Upgrade gear with several thousand baht. Even guides sometimes lack heavy enough gear as good gear is not cheap.

I just caught the fish of my life last week at Bosang fishing park near Chiang Mai. A 60 pound Mekong Cat. I had a small reel with 20 pound test get all the line stripped out within 5 minutes of making my 1st cast and then I had an over sized spinning reel with 60 pound test thin red line manage the lunker freshwater shark. I had the time of my life. Needless to say, I blew a servo motor in my arm and shorted a few leg circuits from being pulled into the lake during the 40 minute challenge. And this one is just a baby only 1/10 the size of the big mama fish. LOL

The Robot

Well, any 20-30 kg (50-70 pound) fish are strong. I am sorry to shatter your fish of a life time, but that fish has been caught countless times. 20p line is the standard set up in Borsang, so I can't see a 60p line would add anything to it, except great reduction in casting length.

I don't see hunters bragging about shooting animals in cages or tied up to a post/fence. Why is it that people really think they have achieved some miracle experience, by having hooked into a farm bred/grown fish, that swims in a pond? If it is about the strength and run, then why not to tie the line behind a motorcycle and ask your buddy to take off?

:o

The Robot

Well, any 20-30 kg (50-70 pound) fish are strong. I am sorry to shatter your fish of a life time, but that fish has been caught countless times. 20p line is the standard set up in Borsang, so I can't see a 60p line would add anything to it, except great reduction in casting length.

I don't see hunters bragging about shooting animals in cages or tied up to a post/fence. Why is it that people really think they have achieved some miracle experience, by having hooked into a farm bred/grown fish, that swims in a pond? If it is about the strength and run, then why not to tie the line behind a motorcycle and ask your buddy to take off?

To each its own, i like fishing in those lakes also because there isnt much else in Bangkok. Before i fished in Holland in nature and sure its harder then here. I still think catching the big ones in the ponds is a lot of fun. Nowadays i try to fish lighter then before but for the big ones i still use different tackle then for the smaller ones.

I don't see it as a miracle catching a bred fish but if its a big one and one of few its still an achievement, less of course then when you would have caught it in the wild. A 20 p line is fine i got it on one of my rods but no way its going to hold one of those big ones if it makes a run to some obstacles. But ok that is my opinion.

To each its own, i like fishing in those lakes also because there isnt much else in Bangkok. Before i fished in Holland in nature and sure its harder then here. I still think catching the big ones in the ponds is a lot of fun. Nowadays i try to fish lighter then before but for the big ones i still use different tackle then for the smaller ones.

I don't see it as a miracle catching a bred fish but if its a big one and one of few its still an achievement, less of course then when you would have caught it in the wild. A 20 p line is fine i got it on one of my rods but no way its going to hold one of those big ones if it makes a run to some obstacles. But ok that is my opinion.

anyone fished the 600 acre lake in khon kaen.did you have any luck .how many did you catch and any size to them.

sorry new at this i did not mean to cut someone off

Don't worry about it it happens, do you like fishing ?

I must add that part of the fun of fishing is catching fish when others don't. I thought i had figured a certain lake out because i got 8 last time while others had zero. I went with a thinner line smaller hook and smaller spiral. It seemed to work like a charm, but when i tried again yesterday it did not. So back to the drawingboard and try to figure something else out.

I think the skill in fishing is to catch when others aren't catching.

One of the other posters stated something about fishing in the wild, but would that not mean that someone who goes to a good site for fishing is cheating too ? I mean you got more chance then an other. The skill part is when your both at the same place and one catches a lot more then the others. Although this can be luck too (i'm the first to admit that)

The great thing about going fishing is the variety of different

ways one can enjoy the sport.

I personaly like nothing better than getting a good shoal of

tiddlers going,bites coming thick and fast and on a light match

rod or pole with light elastic and a couple of beers.

The hardest part is getting the little blighters back before the

family get their hands on them...lol

Paul

hello robblok.where is bang bua thong.yes i enjoy fishing.now of any places around khon kaen.that is where i will be coming to in july of this year.i may put in a pond in roi-et province if my wifes uncle will convert his rice land into a pond.i think he would be able to make more money that way.the fish will be in the pond all the time,but with the rice he only gets one crop from the land.what does everyone else think of what i am saying.do you think it is a good idea.thanks buffaloe

Bang bua thong is in Nothaburi province about half an hour out of BKK.

Its not that simple to convert something in a fishing pond, the pond should have access to canals to refresh the water and a good system should be set up to to get oxigen in the water. Stocking the pond will be expensive too if you want big fish in there. Then if he is far away from everyone then it might be hard to attract customers.

Mate, I went back home to Oz last month, just to go fishing with a mate, now how sad is that.

But it was great, we took the boat out & floated around for hours chasing the fish.....hes a great fisherman, im a mug lair, naturally he took me to all his favourite spots & didnt get a bite and I caught a few lovely fish....toook em straight home and cooked them up on the barbie.

its not the same here, actually most the water i see I wouldnt want to drop a line into :D & theres heaps of thai guys that go spear fishing in the drains around the place....YUK.

Ohhh, sorry, I can't help you with your fishing, best of luck with it tho. PS: Part of the farm I live on has fishfarms on it.....but dropping a line in there wouldnt really be a challenge & the fish aint impress me either. :o

you must not be to far from the old airport.yes i know where nonthaiburi is at robblok.acrss the river from bkk.if i put in a pond it will be to sell the fish.i will let my future wifes uncle take care of it.i know i will have to put some some type of aerators in it to give it some oxygen in the dry season.i probably would fish in it myself occasionally.i will be about 100 miles away. first i will need to discuss with the uncle about putting a pond in where he lives.i would probably need to make it very deep because of the dry season loss of water.

sorry new at this i did not mean to cut someone off

Don't worry about it it happens, do you like fishing ?

I must add that part of the fun of fishing is catching fish when others don't. I thought i had figured a certain lake out because i got 8 last time while others had zero. I went with a thinner line smaller hook and smaller spiral. It seemed to work like a charm, but when i tried again yesterday it did not. So back to the drawingboard and try to figure something else out.

I think the skill in fishing is to catch when others aren't catching.

One of the other posters stated something about fishing in the wild, but would that not mean that someone who goes to a good site for fishing is cheating too ? I mean you got more chance then an other. The skill part is when your both at the same place and one catches a lot more then the others. Although this can be luck too (i'm the first to admit that)

I rented a cottage once in the wild west coast of Ireland. Walked down to the deserted cove and caught 8 pollack up to six pounds in twenty casts with a spinner. I sat on the rocks in the sunshine and wrote postcards to all my friends describing my exploits. I rented the cottage for six months and fished at least three times a week at the cove. I never caught another fish.

hello robblok.where is bang bua thong.yes i enjoy fishing.now of any places around khon kaen.that is where i will be coming to in july of this year.i may put in a pond in roi-et province if my wifes uncle will convert his rice land into a pond.i think he would be able to make more money that way.the fish will be in the pond all the time,but with the rice he only gets one crop from the land.what does everyone else think of what i am saying.do you think it is a good idea.thanks buffaloe

There's lots of threads on making ponds in the farming forum. I've made one of three rai up to three metres deep and stocked it with pla duk and pla buk and pla nin and pla chon and a silver barb fish whose name I cannot recall. If you only stocked with pla duk you have no oxygenation worries as you would not believe the stocking densities they use commercially. (literally you will think the figures are a typo) They can air breath and live in mud and are indestructible and delicious. Just green the water with manure of some sort and enjoy.

I live in Australia but come to Thailand mainly for the fishing - three times in the last 12 months.

I have been to Bang Sam Ran - best fish a 47k Mekong. Also some great fishing at Gillham's Resort out of Krabi - a really well run place with a top crew - lots of Red Tails, Carpsp and giant Arraphaia. See their web site.

Also fished soi3 and Jomtien park at Pattaya - OK for the experience but not great.

Fished Chiang mai lake (Often referred to as Dream Lake) carp to about 20K.

I am now looking at bringing my own gear with me so I can drop a line in the sea or Lake - hard to get a really good 5pce or telescopic rod in the weight required - but stii looking.

I have been walking the khlongs ansd checking out waters about BKK when possible. The moat around the Royal Palace has some great fish and lots of variety - but I would most likely end up behind bars if I tried it! It is a temptation though.

I think that fishing in Thailand has to be one of the most neglected possibilities from the point of tuorism. One of the difficulties is getting an address and a mud map.

I can direct anyone to the above mentioned spots and would ask that if you have a spot that you pass on an address or directions.

tight lines.

Ngau Nam,

More challenging then Bungsamran its harder to catch fish but also more scenic (not to mention a lot cheaper). It is near the mall Bang Ke if you come from the Bang Bua Thong direction you have to take the second u turn after A big flyover where many roads coinside. Then take the first road you can get into to your left. Drive on till you see traffic lights. Still go straight and drive on straight till you pass 2 real small bridges over klongs and then you will have it on your left hand (there is a coke (coca cola) sign where you have to be.

The fish can be as big as in Bungsamran but its nicer there and no DUAL pricing.

bonzor,what kind of fish is a pla duk

Its a kind of catfish.. but more like the catfish in europe without a tail. Here you have catfish with tails they are called pla sawai and pla bug. But this one is smaller and has no real tail. I see them roasted a lot never caught one so far (dont want too because they have some spines that can cause injury.