English Man Badly Beaten In Soi Beokeow

Pattaya_Fox

English Man badly beaten in Soi Beokeow.

Police and rescue workers were called to the front of the Gaetsiri Gems Shop on Soi Beokeow in the early hours of Wednesday Morning to deal with the aftermath of a brutal attack on a foreign man. The injured man, Mr. Roger Parker aged 50 from England had sustained a serious head wound. Nearby was a large stone thought to have been used in the attack. Witnesses mentioned that the victim was walking with friends when a black car pulled up beside Mr. Parker and two men came out from the car. Both were carrying a bag which is thought to have contained stones, similar to the one dropped by one of the attackers at the scene, and proceeded to attack him until he fell to the floor. Mr. Parker was not able to speak to Police because of the severity of his injuries and at this time Police believe the attack may have been prompted by a problem with a business or relationship issues. The investigation continues.

post-15964-1202901092_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1202901105_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1202901118_thumb.jpg

Pattaya City News

Wednesday 13th February 2008

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not too good a week for ting-tong farangs in LOS...what with the rub-outs of those two canadians and now the attack on this chap. dopey foreigners and low-class thais are definitely a combustible mix. that's where most of this conflict arises from IMHO.

in 10 years in LOS...have never had a serious conflict with the locals...but i speak some thai, know their customs, am aware of the very limited reasoning ability of the uneducated classes (which is who most visitors to LOS interact with), and am non-confrontational in the extreme.

works for me :o

not too good a week for ting-tong farangs in LOS...what with the rub-outs of those two canadians and now the attack on this chap. dopey foreigners and low-class thais are definitely a combustible mix. that's where most of this conflict arises from IMHO.

in 10 years in LOS...have never had a serious conflict with the locals...but i speak some thai, know their customs, am aware of the very limited reasoning ability of the uneducated classes (which is who most visitors to LOS interact with), and am non-confrontational in the extreme.

it wouldnt work if you meet me with that pompus attitude

tough guy then?

works for me :D

tough guy then?

Strange how the victim has become the reason this happened all ready ! jeez,. what is up with some of you lot, lets wait and see what happened,. :o

Irrespective of how great you are with Thais and how you're personally managed to avoid attacks over the previous 10 years, it's still scary to hear these kind of stories and does make one think twice about whether or not Thailand is the place to be.

Yeah...it's guys like you that have to go around and prove to everyone how big your d*cks are that get your comeuppance in Thailand.

So yeah, go right ahead, swing your big member around as you whore around Pattaya (I guess you think this macho attitude really impresses the local lasses...NOT) but be sure to always watch your backside :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Aye mate you are so great!!!

The rest of us kow tow to you

Strange how the victim has become the reason this happened all ready ! jeez,. what is up with some of you lot, lets wait and see what happened

Well the thing is that anyone who has any amount of time in Thailand knows how generally easy going Thai people are. However, like many Asian societies, anger is often bottled-up (and of course the ever present "face" issue) and that uncontrollable anger can be unleashed once the cork is popped.

The violence you see in Thailand is not random (as it often is in the West). You must do something to piss someone big time for them to come after you physically.

Therefore, to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute.

Back in my part of farangland, you could be shopping for clothes (5 women gunned down in robbery last week), attending a city council meeting and get killed by some wacko (4-5 people gunned down last week in such a meeting), or just today...be attending college and get gunned down while attending a geology class lecture (6 killed and another 10-15 injured (some seriously) by someone who went postal.

So if one just minds one's own business you are most likely not to have any serious problems in LOS but often times in farangland, you are just going about your business and get randomly killed :o

Strange how the victim has become the reason this happened all ready ! jeez,. what is up with some of you lot, lets wait and see what happened

Well the thing is that anyone who has any amount of time in Thailand knows how generally easy going Thai people are. However, like many Asian societies, anger is often bottled-up (and of course the ever present "face" issue) and that uncontrollable anger can be unleashed once the cork is popped.

The violence you see in Thailand is not random (as it often is in the West). You must do something to piss someone big time for them to come after you physically.

Therefore, to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute.

Back in my part of farangland, you could be shopping for clothes (5 women gunned down in robbery last week), attending a city council meeting and get killed by some wacko (4-5 people gunned down last week in such a meeting), or just today...be attending college and get gunned down while attending a geology class lecture (6 killed and another 10-15 injured (some seriously) by someone who went postal.

So if one just minds one's own business you are most likely not to have any serious problems in LOS but often times in farangland, you are just going about your business and get randomly killed :o

lets remember this is not about you JonnieBKK , its about the fact that a 50 year old man was seriously injured and beaten by four (able bodied presumably younger) Thai men who were so inept and full of cowardice, that they had to beat him with rocks that they brought with them (allegedly).

As to your explanation of what in your view, it takes to live here successfuly and without getting hurt, you must have a permanent gravel rash on your knees, you spend so much time grovelling to people. when do you actually speak up about a transgression?

when a dozen cowardly Thais are kicking the sh*t out of you?

i have been attacked on two seperate occasions for no apparent reason, once with a samurai sword! (you can read my account of it on this forum somewhere)

i too speak Thai, know thai customs well and i understand the limitations/reactions of Thai men and women in certain face loss/saving situations and i have been here for over 8 years.

however let me tell you it makes none of that makes any difference at all when a guy is waving a sword at you, except its a comfort to know that he is saying to me '' are you scared farang? you should be, i am going to kill you!''

so Jonnie from BKK in my view, until you have been a victim of an unprovoked attack and can speak with some authority on the subject, i would really like to see you stick your sanctimonious, patronising, holier than thou attitude where the sun don't shine !! have good day ya all!

So you keep your confrontational attitude for the net! You act as judge condeming the ferang guy without any knowledge of the facts. Who deserves to be severley beat abut the head? Is this the law of the jungle - if so you obviously accept it on behalf of these violent thai cowards.

The worst kind of residents here are wannabe thais - flip flop wearing, som tam eating haters of their own culture. Or classified in any political system as traitors

To Timekeeper and Misterman...why do you guys have such chips on your shoulders...will you hot-header farangs never learn :D

I never said I (or anyone) has to grovel or loose their self-esteem to live a peaceful life in LOS. But it is not a sign of cowardice to walk away from an argument or fight is it...I guess it is in the social milieu in which you grew up. If that is the case, get ready for a sack-full of rocks or a sword to come your way when you are not looking.

If I have a problem with someone, I will state my position and attempt a reasonable resolution of the issue. However, if this is not succesful, my next move is not to put up my dukes or suggest we "take it outside" but to walk away. But I guess that would be too much of a climbdown for your fragile egos.

As to this particular situation, like others have said, we still don't know any particulars of WHY this guy was attacked. I doubt it was a random unprovoked act as in my experience this rarely occurs. For all we know, he could have had a beef with another farang and these thugs were hired to "teach the guy a lesson." So maybe the coward you guys are looking for is a fellow farang.

For the record, I don't own any flip-flops and have never eaten a bowl of somtam (or any fried bugs either), nor own any knee pad protectors :o

Edited by jonniebkk

To Timekeeper and Misterman...why do you guys have such chips on your shoulders...will you hot-header farangs never learn :D

I never said I (or anyone) has to grovel or loose their self-esteem to live a peaceful life in LOS. But it is not a sign of cowardice to walk away from an argument or fight is it...I guess it is in the social milieu in which you grew up. If that is the case, get ready for a sack-full of rocks or a sword to come your way when you are not looking.

If I have a problem with someone, I will state my position and attempt a reasonable resolution of the issue. However, if this is not succesful, my next move is not to put up my dukes or suggest we "take it outside" but to walk away. But I guess that would be too much of a climbdown for your fragile egos.

As to this particular situation, like others have said, we still don't know any particulars of WHY this guy was attacked. I doubt it was a random unprovoked act as in my experience this rarely occurs. For all we know, he could have had a beef with another farang and these thugs were hired to "teach the guy a lesson." So maybe the coward you guys are looking for is a fellow farang.

For the record, I don't own any flip-flops and have never eaten a bowl of somtam (or any fried bugs either), nor own any knee pad protectors :o

you do not know me at all so do not presume to make personal comments about me like you do.

as you are no-one in particular, i do not feel a need to defend myself to you, and even though i may be all of the things you have said or none of them, its really none of your business & you mean nothing to me.

i do like you though, you remind me of myself, when i was young and stupid

however i do know that i do not have a yellow streak down the middle of my back and in this sole respect, you are quite correct, i would choose not to walk away, not through a fragile ego as you think but because personally i would rather be a tiger for a day than a sheep for a lifetime.

i am sure you understand what i mean.

so despite your conflicting intimations about my character, i will not resort to physical violence unless i am forced to defend myself.

in my opinion, physical violence is the last refuge of those who have run out of dialogue to offer anything constructive to the debate in hand and have to try to impress their opinion physically on someone.

as you seem not to be skilled in any of the options available, i can see why you do a lot of skulking away

in the meantime, this thread is still about some poor guy who is currently in hospital with a busted head after an attack with rocks by four cowardly Thais.

as to the reasons why, neither you or i know why it happened and your infantile speculations as to how he likely brought it on himself will certainly not help him or his family.

i suggest you show them some respect and (as much as i enjoy you making a fool of yourself) keep your jaded, xenophobic opinions to yourself.

meantime i think your mum just called to tell you Barney is on TV and your Alphabetti Spaghetti is ready

have a good day ya all!!!

English Man badly beaten in Soi Beokeow.

Police and rescue workers were called to the front of the Gaetsiri Gems Shop on Soi Beokeow in the early hours of Wednesday Morning to deal with the aftermath of a brutal attack on a foreign man. The injured man, Mr. Roger Parker aged 50 from England had sustained a serious head wound. Nearby was a large stone thought to have been used in the attack. Witnesses mentioned that the victim was walking with friends when a black car pulled up beside Mr. Parker and two men came out from the car. Both were carrying a bag which is thought to have contained stones, similar to the one dropped by one of the attackers at the scene, and proceeded to attack him until he fell to the floor. Mr. Parker was not able to speak to Police because of the severity of his injuries and at this time Police believe the attack may have been prompted by a problem with a business or relationship issues. The investigation continues.

post-15964-1202901092_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1202901105_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1202901118_thumb.jpg

Pattaya City News

Wednesday 13th February 2008

More coward attacks by Thai's.

It is just getting worse. :o

I personaly would never fight with a thai because as we all know any confrontation quickly becomes a group beating by any thais that wish to assault or kill a ferang without any fear of personal injury.

For a peacefull life in thailand i follow 3 rules: 1) dont trust thais 2) dont do buisness with thais 3) remember the name of the most popular political party in thai history - Thai Love Thai!

to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute....

my thoughts too

stupid or not - he must've pissed off someone big time.

STONES ! :o

well, may be coz Thais don't play baseball much and therefore bats are not that common :D

but stones in the bag - something explicitly premeditated and not without reason.

somehow only this fella was attacked - not any of his friends (also farangs or Thais?).

interesting - what did his friends do that time ?

to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute....

my thoughts too

well, may be coz Thais don't play baseball much and therefore bats are not that common :D

but stones in the bag - something explicitly premeditated and not without reason.

somehow only this fella was attacked - not any of his friends (also farangs or Thais?).

//personal flame removed//

what is wrong with you people?

do you wai to the Thai culture to such a degree that you can justify the fact that a 50 year old guy is walking along a busy road and gets attacked by four cowardly rock wielding thugs?

for whatever reason this happened and despite your speculation the facts have not come out yet.

you miss the point of this entirely, its not what he did or wether he deserved it thats important.

its another prime example to add to many recently reported incidents of Thai thuggery against farangs.

if there was an issue with this farang created by some faux paux against Thai culture, as you speculate, then why did the Thai who took issue with the farang not deal with it at the time it happened, confront the issue to hand and if violence was the upshot of the dispute, then so be it.

a dispute between two people of two cultures deciding to settle it physically when the dialogue had run out.

instead the offended party presumably went away and got his mates like some errant schoolboy, to help him out and telling them ''oh! remember to bring some rocks to beat up the farang with!''

so after having supported the Thai position in this matter then please tell me this;

how can anyone go home and think well of themselves for committing such a cowardly attack?

i would be thoroughly ashamed of myself and you should be too for springing to their defence.

please have some respect for the injured party who only by the grace of god is not another pattaya death statistic

my thoughts too

despite your assumptions, his friends who were there when it happened do not know why it happened

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005094

Nobody is "blaming" the victim here (or defending the Thai's behavior)...at least I am not. No matter what the fella did to piss someone off, he didn't "deserve" to get a sack-full of stones to the back of the head. However, I am just pointing out that that is a possible result if one insists on always "being right" in Thailand. If you are such a person...be prepared for the consequences.

As has been pointed out many places before, most of the people the average visitor to Thailand engages with is from the low/uneducated classes. Like such people in any country, they often have ideas and notions that are set in stone and due to their limited mental acuity, are unable to engage in any type of reasoned discourse on any matter in dispute. I mean, we're not talking about an Oxford Union debate here...you will never change their mind by having a rational discussion about what's in dispute.

Therefore, the advice to just walk away.

my thoughts too

despite your ASSumptions, his friends who were there when it happened do not know why it happened

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005094

After reading that it may be some sort of retaliation for something,and it says he was drunk,( it was 5am ) he may not even remember what he did to p1ss them off !,.this is where it differs to the uk or elsewhere, the chances are if he said or did something in the uk and there was a scene the chances are that if you didnt act at the time there wont be a repercussion, in thailand they will, they dont need much of an excuse to jump on a farang, after all we come here, hump their women and swagger about with loads of money ( in their eyes ) ,.id say if you arent in control of your temper or manners with drink be careful, this is yet another case of thais acting way over the top,i think he was lucky he didnt get killed,as for the thugs with a conscience ,thats a joke, pretty much the same as a bg releiving a farang of all his money, she would sleep well, i have no doubts,. be careful fellas,. Edited by mikethevigoman

Nobody is "blaming" the victim here (or defending the Thai's behavior)...at least I am not. No matter what the fella did to piss someone off, he didn't "deserve" to get a sack-full of stones to the back of the head. However, I am just pointing out that that is a possible result if one insists on always "being right" in Thailand. If you are such a person...be prepared for the consequences.

As has been pointed out many places before, most of the people the average visitor to Thailand engages with is from the low/uneducated classes. Like such people in any country, they often have ideas and notions that are set in stone and due to their limited mental acuity, are unable to engage in any type of reasoned discourse on any matter in dispute. I mean, we're not talking about an Oxford Union debate here...you will never change their mind by having a rational discussion about what's in dispute.

Therefore, the advice to just walk away.

i have to agree, some would be best leaving their "principles " and most of their money at the airport on the way in, and collect them again on the way out,

Bet your Wife/girlfriend/boyfriend feels real safe around you Jonniebkk. :o

I think they do as they (being Thai) understand that displays of aggression often end up very badly in Thailand. It is also a sign of not being in control of one's emotions (having a "hot heart") which is not a much admired trait for men with the Thai lasses.

(Also that men who are generally aggressive (can only resort to violence to solve problems) will at some point turn such feelings towards them too.)

So yeah, I do just fine thank you :D

Bet your Wife/girlfriend/boyfriend feels real safe around you Jonniebkk. :o

I'd say that she feels safer with him than she would feel with you. Being a hero here in Thailand is a VERY bad idea. My Thai wife does her best to calm me down when she sees that I am getting angry. She is obviously smarter than I am and keeps me out of trouble.

It is amazing how we continue to get advice from clowns out there about how to avoid violence in Thailand as if they have some magic formula that protects them from assault or injury.

Farangs and Thais are beaten up, robbed and killed with regular monotony in Thailand. How many stories do we have to hear before we start to recognise a pattern?

There are some seriously deluded people here in Thailand and many expat farangs seem to fall into this mindset.

BTW Most Thais are much more acutely aware of the violent nature of society here.

Sure there are some basic precautions that you can take but they may not be enough and don't preclude you from being a victim too.

I have never been attacked in Thailand but am fully aware that violence is part of life here and despite having the best intentions and behaving decently I could easily be another victim.

How about a little bit of compassion for a 50 year old guy who was attacked and beaten with stones by a bunch of young guys in the early hours of the morning.

It could just as easily be anyone of us here too.