English Man Badly Beaten In Soi Beokeow

Pattaya_Fox

From the story received thus far....

Two Thais were talking about their football team (Liverpool FC)...in a private conversation.

Drunken English man overhears them and aggressively butts in telling them that their team is <deleted> and his team is better....

They track him down and give him a hiding.

From the story received thus far....ALLEGEDLY and then only if you are naive enough to believe the known to be unreliable local rag and the story from two cowardly thugs who are facing an attempted murder charge

i mean, Thais are not generally known for lying are they?

They are facing assault charges not attempted murder according to the report....stop being a drama queen. :o

Unless Mr Parker comes up with an alternative story then the allegedly becomes fact. So far we have heard nothing of his story even though he had friends with him. Dont you think it strange that his friends did nothing, said nothing ??

Thais are not generally known for lying ??.....I cant see why people who have such a low opinion of Thais even bother going there let alone live there. Thai people lie no less or no more than other races.

no drama here cobber, it was reported on Thai Banglamung cable TV that attempted murder was going to be the charge and in/on one of the local scandal rags/websites that you seem to cling to for ''accurate'' reporting of the events that happen here in Pattaya.

when i came here 10 years ago, a local in a bar said to me: Q. 'how do you know when a Thai is lying''? A. ''their mouth is open'' at that time i repudiated his supposed joke and condemned him for it.

however i am now very sorry to say that there is a lot of truth in it.

my feelings are not reflected in anyway with frivoluos matters of the heart either.

if you have not found this problem in your interactions with Thais then good for you, but i think there are more who have than have not.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i found this on another forums and it relates to the rock on the head story .

A friend of mine has recently moved to Pattaya and opened a bar with his Thai girlfriend of 6 years.

He has had some experience of running a bar and night club in Southend Essex. He isnt gambling his life savings on the bar either .

He sold a house he had previously rented out, he still owns a property in Southend which is rented out now.

His bar is in Soi Buakhao Pattaya. I havent been to Pattaya for a while and dont think I have had the pleasure of visiting Soi Buakhao. He says that it is an area with a lot of long term expats, a market which can give a steady but undramatic return.

He has ploughed about 2 million baht in to the business and has it decked out nice. Things have been going well since he opened in July and he has built up some regulars.

Problems started in December 07. He was visited by some English gentlemen who made it clear that they wanted cash and that if he did not pay them what they were after there would be problems. He told them to f off. Nothing happened for a week.

Since then there has been intimidation 3 or 4 times a week invloving the farangs and Thais.

It has escalated, last week a farang who had visted his bar was attacked by Thais with rocks. The farang was badly injured and I believe the Thais have been caught but have been released on bail.

The Thais are in the employ of these English guys, my friend has described the guys extorting the money as from London originally and aged about 45.

They have been in Pattaya for a long time and have boasted that they are untouchable as long as they dont effect Thais.

My friend is beside himself and his girlfriend terrified. They are looking for 40 000 baht per month. They say the longer my friend prevaricates the more expensive it will get for him.

As I said I dont know much about Pattaya and the workings, in Samui this doesnt happen or at least I have never heard about it

I have tentatively said he should approach a senior Pattaya officer but my friend doesnt want to be looking over his shoulder the whole time.

He is talking about offering them 20 k per month, I think this is bad idea but its easy to say this when you are not in the postion he is.

manchester Dave

I have not heard of this, but then I do not know many of the bar-owners in the Soi Buakheow area.

It should certainly be reported, but to whom? These schemes usually operate under a protective umbrella. So you have to get an outside agancy to take a look, rather than the local plod.

Or just cut your losses and sell the place quickly (to some other unsuspecting mug).

A friend of mine has recently moved to Pattaya and opened a bar with his Thai girlfriend of 6 years.

He has had some experience of running a bar and night club in Southend Essex. He isnt gambling his life savings on the bar either .

He sold a house he had previously rented out, he still owns a property in Southend which is rented out now.

His bar is in Soi Buakhao Pattaya. I havent been to Pattaya for a while and dont think I have had the pleasure of visiting Soi Buakhao. He says that it is an area with a lot of long term expats, a market which can give a steady but undramatic return.

He has ploughed about 2 million baht in to the business and has it decked out nice. Things have been going well since he opened in July and he has built up some regulars.

Problems started in December 07. He was visited by some English gentlemen who made it clear that they wanted cash and that if he did not pay them what they were after there would be problems. He told them to f off. Nothing happened for a week.

Since then there has been intimidation 3 or 4 times a week invloving the farangs and Thais.

It has escalated, last week a farang who had visted his bar was attacked by Thais with rocks. The farang was badly injured and I believe the Thais have been caught but have been released on bail.

The Thais are in the employ of these English guys, my friend has described the guys extorting the money as from London originally and aged about 45.

They have been in Pattaya for a long time and have boasted that they are untouchable as long as they dont effect Thais.

My friend is beside himself and his girlfriend terrified. They are looking for 40 000 baht per month. They say the longer my friend prevaricates the more expensive it will get for him.

As I said I dont know much about Pattaya and the workings, in Samui this doesnt happen or at least I have never heard about it

I have tentatively said he should approach a senior Pattaya officer but my friend doesnt want to be looking over his shoulder the whole time.

He is talking about offering them 20 k per month, I think this is bad idea but its easy to say this when you are not in the postion he is.

manchester Dave

I have not heard of this, but then I do not know many of the bar-owners in the Soi Buakheow area.

It should certainly be reported, but to whom? These schemes usually operate under a protective umbrella. So you have to get an outside agancy to take a look, rather than the local plod.

Or just cut your losses and sell the place quickly (to some other unsuspecting mug).

uh oh this brings a new twist to the tale........pay farangs and the local plod...and looks like the farangs are asking for more.<deleted> cheeky if you ask me.....if this is happening to a lot of the bar owners there then would be cheaper to club together and get there own thai squad or pay plod to sort it out......there the real mafia and dont think they would be too happy that some london scallys are puttin a frightener on people......thats there turf.

i still dont understand how assaulting a customer is gonna work if this is the real story...as usual we probabaly never find out the real truth.

manchester Dave

uh oh this brings a new twist to the tale........pay farangs and the local plod...and looks like the farangs are asking for more.<deleted> cheeky if you ask me.....if this is happening to a lot of the bar owners there then would be cheaper to club together and get there own thai squad or pay plod to sort it out......there the real mafia and dont think they would be too happy that some london scallys are puttin a frightener on people......thats there turf.

i still dont understand how assaulting a customer is gonna work if this is the real story...as usual we probabaly never find out the real truth.

Maybe if the customer knew the problem came from the bar he ( and any other sensible customers ) wouldnt return, and the business would suffer, either way if it were me id be moving on, we wont change anything thats for sure,.

quote >>>>>

manchester Dave

unquote

it is mandatory now to have cameras in a bar, so get a good system with multiple low light cameras and a big LCD screen behind the bar so that customers/trouble makers can see they are being observed in all areas

then:

get your friends wife to go to the police, do not tell them about the problems she has had and employ a police guy to sit in there as a security officer like they do in the gold shops.

tell them she is new to the bar business and would feel better with a police presence as her husband is away a lot .

it will be cheaper than paying either the local Thai mafia or the other crew and whilst it will be a curiosity initially it will make customers feel more secure.

He will get a smoother ride from the cops too in terms of licencing, new smoking regulations etc.

i frequent one English bar on Soi Buakhau and there is a police officer in there regularly.

he is quite personable and is happy to chat to customers but otherwise minds his own business, he has his food, reads his paper, does not get drunk and presumably collects his money at the end of the month.

no problems that i know of and no extortion from anyone.

no drama here cobber, it was reported on Thai Banglamung cable TV that attempted murder was going to be the charge and in/on one of the local scandal rags/websites that you seem to cling to for ''accurate'' reporting of the events that happen here in Pattaya.

when i came here 10 years ago, a local in a bar said to me: Q. 'how do you know when a Thai is lying''? A. ''their mouth is open'' at that time i repudiated his supposed joke and condemned him for it.

my feelings are not reflected in anyway with frivoluos matters of the heart either.

if you have not found this problem in your interactions with Thais then good for you, but i think there are more who have than have not.

Is that the same Cable TV news that is run by the same people who also publish a rag ??

There is another quote you may have heard...."Thai eyes never lie" This one I have found to be extremely helpful when I have dealt with Thai's.

Since your post we have had a bit of a twist.....regards the bar owner being stood over....But I think it has little relevence....as the incident happened away from the bar and not in the bar...it is still painfully obvious that Mr Parker pi55ed someone off on his own bat. Maybe the Thais were in the bar putting pressure on the owner and this guy intervened....stupidity again.

Again....His friends have done nothing, said nothing....surely they would have given a statement to the police after the incident in support of their friend...but they have done nothing....something still not right here.

Edited by gburns57au

Is that the same Cable TV news that is run by the same people who also publish a rag ??

There is another quote you may have heard...."Thai eyes never lie" This one I have found to be extremely helpful when I have dealt with Thai's.

Since your post we have had a bit of a twist.....regards the bar owner being stood over....But I think it has little relevence....as the incident happened away from the bar and not in the bar...it is still painfully obvious that Mr Parker pi55ed someone off on his own bat. Maybe the Thais were in the bar putting pressure on the owner and this guy intervened....stupidity again.

Again....His friends have done nothing, said nothing....surely they would have given a statement to the police after the incident in support of their friend...but they have done nothing....something still not right here.

no, its not the same company, it was Banglamung TV news, a public broadcast service.

they sum up the days events at around 10-30 pm.

its the one thats often vilified for all the gory pictures of the car/motorcycle accidents and deaths, Thai or farang.

they are usually pretty reliable and the news is fairly immediate.

its wholly in Thai though.

i have not heard that saying but it must have been coined by a Thai but lets imagine for second its true, it follows then i must have unwittingly left a trail a broken hearts all over Thailand.

i cannot recall how many times i have been looked squarely in the eye and told 'pom rak kuhn'

i look into a Thais eyes and i know when they are lying, its easy to do

they know, i know too which embarasses both parties

even so they still won't admit it.

despite your defensive efforts ''Thai people lie no less or no more than other races''.

it has been my experience that it has happened to me here more in 10 years than in 40 previous years in other places around the world.

in my opinion its endemic to the Thai culture and has been discussed at length by many people more qualified to speak on the subject than me on this very forum

it does not need me to rehash it for you.

again i congratulate you if you have not found that out for yourself, or maybe its that you never were perceptive enough to know when you were being lied to?

i am curious why you keep harping on about his ''friends?'' and their actions

maybe i am wrong and i am certain you will let me know in your daily retort, but as far as i can see from the reports so far, it was only the other witnesses to the event that said they were his ''friends'' that were accompanying him along the road

it could be they were just other farangs walking alongside him, on a narrow road with lots of fast traffic or just some acquaintances he had just met in the bar and are now following the oft quoted mantra: ''when in Thailand mind your own business''

if i had been in his company in any capacity at all and he had behaved as has been reported by the webs/rags, i know i would keep quiet too........... out of shame.

that said, i still do not condone an attack by two thugs with rocks.

name='timekeeper' date='2008-02-24 10:51:37' post='1835589']

''Thai people lie no less or no more than other races''.

:o:D:D

its absolutely NOT my quote PP, please do not think me so naive..........

it came from when gburns57au ( Yesterday, 2008-02-23 09:28:00)

when he said:

''I cant see why people who have such a low opinion of Thais even bother going there let alone live there. Thai people lie no less or no more than other races''

name='gburns57au' date='2008-02-23 09:28:00' post='1833741']

Thais are not generally known for lying ??.....I cant see why people who have such a low opinion of Thais even bother going there let alone live there. Thai people lie no less or no more than other races.

:D:DB):D:o:D:D:D:D:burp:

Edited by plasticpig

I guess it must be easier to stereotype all Thais as thugs and liars than it is to admit that your own countrymen are just as bad in both areas and you think I am naive.... :o to say that Thai people are more inclined to be thugs and liars is taking a pretty narrow minded perhaps bigoted viewpoint of the Thai people and their culture.

I know pretty much when I am being lied to....it is a regular issue in my line of employment, I get lied to more times in one day at work than most people get lied to in a month.

It was mentioned in the report that he was with friends....I havent seen anything that states different, so until I do, I can only comment on what has been stated here.

Just in case you missed it though....I also said that the Thai guys went beyond what was a reasonable response to the situation. I dont condone the actions of the Thai guys...but the Pommie guy must take responsibilty for his contribution to the whole matter.

Oh yeah.....if you cant tell the difference between a BG's "love you long time thi rak" and a serious attempt at lying...then I am sure that the average bar jockey would be more qualified than your good self at talking about Thai liars....... :D:D:D

I guess it must be easier to stereotype all Thais as thugs and liars than it is to admit that your own countrymen are just as bad in both areas and you think I am naive.... :o to say that Thai people are more inclined to be thugs and liars is taking a pretty narrow minded perhaps bigoted viewpoint of the Thai people and their culture.

I know pretty much when I am being lied to....it is a regular issue in my line of employment, I get lied to more times in one day at work than most people get lied to in a month.

It was mentioned in the report that he was with friends....I havent seen anything that states different, so until I do, I can only comment on what has been stated here.

Just in case you missed it though....I also said that the Thai guys went beyond what was a reasonable response to the situation. I dont condone the actions of the Thai guys...but the Pommie guy must take responsibilty for his contribution to the whole matter.

Oh yeah.....if you cant tell the difference between a BG's "love you long time thi rak" and a serious attempt at lying...then I am sure that the average bar jockey would be more qualified than your good self at talking about Thai liars....... :D:D:D

i wondered where you were, it was pretty miserable without you here, almost like you were here....

I guess it must be easier to stereotype all Thais as thugs and liars than it is to admit that your own countrymen are just as bad in both areas and you think I am naive.... :o

i would admit that Brits have a bad reputation the world over, but i guess you would know that first hand coming from Britains biggest open prison

to say that Thai people are more inclined to be thugs and liars is taking a pretty narrow minded perhaps bigoted viewpoint of the Thai people and their culture.

i am not so exclusively narrow minded that my viewpoint encompasses only Thais..........it extends to bigoted aussies too

call me a cynic if you must, but as you live and work in Australia, is that not a critical endictment by you of your own countrymen?

do you believe everything you read in the newpapers?

especially these sensationalist local rags?

news is like a deviled egg, the farther it travels the more it begins to stink

example:

"Officers beat black man to death,'' said the headline in Australia's national newspaper, The Australian. December 4th 2003

"The police were called after Nathaniel Jones awoke from his early morning slumber at a fast-food restaurant and starting becoming a nuisance,'' the story began.......Blah Blah .................as it turns out there was no evidence that Jones was beaten to death.

Reports from the coroner showed he was not seriously injured by the cops, who jabbed him in the legs to get him to put his hands behind his back.

The cause of death is more likely to be a combination of an enlarged heart and obesity mixed with PCP and cocaine.

see how easy it is for even highly respected news media in ''first world'' countries to get it wrong

i bet you believed it though didn't you?

i didn't miss it & i agree with you, in fact as you failed to note in my last message, i said ''he had behaved as has been reported by the webs/rags, i know i would keep quiet too........... out of shame.''

thanks for your informed opinion, thats quite a relief, i really thought they did actually love me too much

finally a quote from a old thread by an Australian member of this very forum:

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did, all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work.

WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the government and business.

take that opinion up with him not me!

i would admit that Brits have a bad reputation the world over, but i guess you would know that first hand coming from Britains biggest open prison

See answer below

call me a cynic if you must, but as you live and work in Australia, is that not a critical endictment by you of your own countrymen?

I actually work in a prison.

I told you I dont read them....My comments relate directly to what is posted here.

Western Australia is too far from anywhere to be relevant. It's main claim to fame is that it doesn't have daylight saving because if it did, all the men would get erections on the bus on the way to work.

WA was the last state to stop importing convicts and many of them still work there in the government and business.

Excuse me !!....but WA has daylight saving....keep up with the times..... :D

At least we can get erections.... :o

The last Yank that got an erection was Bill Clinton...or was that Hilary..... :D

And the last Pom that got an erection was Nelson. :D

See answer below

I told you I dont read them....My comments relate directly to what is posted here.

The last Yank that got an erection was Bill Clinton...or was that Hilary..... :D

''Excuse me !!....but WA has daylight saving....keep up with the times..... :D ''

you really need to less impulsive and actually read the thread properly before banging your keyboard

as i pointed out to you before:

''finally a quote from a old thread by an Australian member of this very forum:''

when i said:

''take that opinion up with him not me!''

you can take up the inaccuracies about WA with the author here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...australian+drug

shall i make the font bigger so you can read it better?

mikethevigoman.

good post and would tend to agree with you on the way to behave in pattaya.i go out a couple of times a week and get pissed but make certain i dont do anything stupid(like in the uk).never out till 5.00am unless i start drinking at 11.00pm,but is very rare.

been here for 4 years and never had a problem except with a farang.

we are in thailand and we have to get used to how thais behave and act accordingly.i have seen so many times the big,macho,tough farang who think he can fight a little thai guy and always loses for different reasons.

the latest attack maybe different to the normal attacks but the result is still the same,cowards in numbers,no different from uk though.

See answer below

''Excuse me !!....but WA has daylight saving....keep up with the times..... :D ''

you really need to less impulsive and actually read the thread properly before banging your keyboard

''finally a quote from a old thread by an Australian member of this very forum:''

when i said:

Yeah I saw that.......but seeing as you quoted it.....then you can be responded to..... :D and it sets the record straight.

I remember the quote and the guy who posted it....

What you probably dont realise is that when there are no Poms or Yanks to take the pi55 out of.....we take the pi55 out of ourselves......that is acceptable here in Oz..... :D

See answer below

when i said:

Yeah I saw that.......but seeing as you quoted it.....then you can be responded to..... :D and it sets the record straight.

I remember the quote and the guy who posted it....

What you probably dont realise is that when there are no Poms or Yanks to take the pi55 out of.....we take the pi55 out of ourselves......that is acceptable here in Oz..... :D

thats good, i expect that means there will be many opportunities for you to get some much needed practise with the inmates before you try it out on here.

i frequent one English bar on Soi Buakhau and there is a police officer in there regularly.

he is quite personable and is happy to chat to customers but otherwise minds his own business, he has his food, reads his paper, does not get drunk and presumably collects his money at the end of the month.

no problems that i know of and no extortion from anyone.

If it's the bar i think you mean. The Police guy is a great guy and is related to the owner's Mrs.

yes two of the coward thai men out of the 4 have been caught and my father has told me it was a load of bulls**t that they told the police just so that they get a lighter sentence!!

we still don't know what really happened but in my opinion they are stupid cowards who had to beat my dad with weapons (not rocks but metal kosh's) and not one on one but a gang of them. f**king idiots hope they go to prison and get treated like the scum they are!!

yes two of the coward thai men out of the 4 have been caught and my father has told me it was a load of bulls**t that they told the police just so that they get a lighter sentence!!

we still don't know what really happened but in my opinion they are stupid cowards who had to beat my dad with weapons (not rocks but metal kosh's) and not one on one but a gang of them. f**king idiots hope they go to prison and get treated like the scum they are!!

hi Han, when your dads feeling better perhaps he might give his own account of what happened to the concerned members of this forum.

get well soon.

• 2 weeks later...
to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute....

my thoughts too

stupid or not - he must've pissed off someone big time.

STONES ! :o

well, may be coz Thais don't play baseball much and therefore bats are not that common :D

but stones in the bag - something explicitly premeditated and not without reason.

somehow only this fella was attacked - not any of his friends (also farangs or Thais?).

interesting - what did his friends do that time ?

despite your ASSumptions, his friends who were there when it happened do not know why it happened

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000005094

After reading that it may be some sort of retaliation for something,and it says he was drunk,( it was 5am ) he may not even remember what he did to p1ss them off !,.this is where it differs to the uk or elsewhere, the chances are if he said or did something in the uk and there was a scene the chances are that if you didnt act at the time there wont be a repercussion, in thailand they will, they dont need much of an excuse to jump on a farang, after all we come here, hump their women and swagger about with loads of money ( in their eyes ) ,.id say if you arent in control of your temper or manners with drink be careful, this is yet another case of thais acting way over the top,i think he was lucky he didnt get killed,as for the thugs with a conscience ,thats a joke, pretty much the same as a bg releiving a farang of all his money, she would sleep well, i have no doubts,. be careful fellas,.

well said, shows first class understanding of how to get on in thailand,... but england can be touchy too .. heard of road rage....etc. etc.