English Man Badly Beaten In Soi Beokeow

Pattaya_Fox

It is amazing how we continue to get advice from clowns out there about how to avoid violence in Thailand as if they have some magic formula that protects them from assault or injury.

Farangs and Thais are beaten up, robbed and killed with regular monotony in Thailand. How many stories do we have to hear before we start to recognise a pattern?

There are some seriously deluded people here in Thailand and many expat farangs seem to fall into this mindset.

BTW Most Thais are much more acutely aware of the violent nature of society here.

Sure there are some basic precautions that you can take but they may not be enough and don't preclude you from being a victim too.

I have never been attacked in Thailand but am fully aware that violence is part of life here and despite having the best intentions and behaving decently I could easily be another victim.

How about a little bit of compassion for a 50 year old guy who was attacked and beaten with stones by a bunch of young guys in the early hours of the morning.

It could just as easily be anyone of us here too.

well said Sir !

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bet your Wife/girlfriend/boyfriend feels real safe around you Jonniebkk. :o

I'd say that she feels safer with him than she would feel with you. Being a hero here in Thailand is a VERY bad idea. My Thai wife does her best to calm me down when she sees that I am getting angry. She is obviously smarter than I am and keeps me out of trouble.

You miss understand me.

What I disliked about Jonniebbk is the way he implies

The guy must have done something to deserve the treatment

he got.

We don't know the facts about this attack just the out come.

And Gary , no heroes here, but some times a confrontation can't be avoided

When its coming at you with a bottle in its hand,

what do you do Gary? Please tell.

Edited by plasticpig

It is amazing how we continue to get advice from clowns out there about how to avoid violence in Thailand as if they have some magic formula that protects them from assault or injury.

Farangs and Thais are beaten up, robbed and killed with regular monotony in Thailand. How many stories do we have to hear before we start to recognise a pattern?

There are some seriously deluded people here in Thailand and many expat farangs seem to fall into this mindset.

BTW Most Thais are much more acutely aware of the violent nature of society here.

Sure there are some basic precautions that you can take but they may not be enough and don't preclude you from being a victim too.

I have never been attacked in Thailand but am fully aware that violence is part of life here and despite having the best intentions and behaving decently I could easily be another victim.

How about a little bit of compassion for a 50 year old guy who was attacked and beaten with stones by a bunch of young guys in the early hours of the morning.

It could just as easily be anyone of us here too.

well said Sir !

Thirded!

The old fat Jonnnie has not a clue - then he measure actions against his own society ie women shot down in a mall and where thye still execute children and elect a Bush

Pattaya, Soi Beokow at 2am, a foreigner attacked. How unusal... :o

Is Soi Beokeow that bad? I was thinking of doing a bit of apartment hunting in the area but if it's bad as its reputation I'll give it a miss.

If you are on a very limited budget then it's fine, and probably safer than 3rd road.

Naka.

Its nick name is Soi Thug.

There does seem to be a lot of incidents there. Only been once myself back in 2002 and it seemed quiet then though.

Its got a lot busier and less quiet since then.

It seems as if many bars have opened up in the area since some of the bars along the beach, and around soi 9 on the second road were closed for other development.

And as already noted you get a fair load of lower brained drunken farrangs in the evenings.

i must say it has a lot of Brits on the piss type up there now days.

No shirt, no brains, no hair, loads of Tats. No thanks.

Hope the poor guy gets better, smashed around the head with rocks.

thats just not good.

I hope he gets better too..... BUT,

It's hard to believe that it was impromptu.

As far as "feeling safe" is concerned, after wandering the world for a fair while I reckon I'm a lot safer here than the streets of any town in England or Aus for that matter.

I suppose keeping a low profile counts.

I was in CR last week and a guy was telling us how he'd been beaten and stripped by a bunch of bar girls at 02.00. He claimed it was all a cunning plot, but they didn't take his money !!!!!!!!

Still, he'll be ok 'cos he was going to report it to the police and they'de sort it out! Yup...........

I was in CR last week and a guy was telling us how he'd been beaten and stripped by a bunch of bar girls at 02.00. He claimed it was all a cunning plot, but they didn't take his money !!!!!!!!

This is my kinda place! What did they take? Please tell me more!!!

Re the OP, sorry 'bout your head mate.

Edited by NanLaew

This is my kinda place! What did they take? Please tell me more!!!

Re the OP, sorry 'bout your head mate.

:D:D

Just round the corner from the Orchid Guest house. Don't wear your favourite shirt though. It was in tatters.

The boss has just informed me that a police seargent attended the scene of the crime and asked the girls if they wanted the Falang charged or not? Falang beat hasty retreat. :o

Unfortunately, It's extremely easy to be attacked by a bunch of vengefull thugs and be entirely innocent of any wrongdoing...

Mistaken identity must account for some of these attacks... if you buy a silk shirt from one of the shops on walking street, you will likely see several other men wearing the same shirt before the evenings out... If you fit the classic profile: large, pissed, wearing sandles, and tan shorts, and the same shirt as the person who got into a beef with the thai's in the first place, it's only too easy for mistakes to happen.

I'm not saying that this was the case here... and it's unlikely that we will ever know why this bloke was attacked, But it is possible. We shouldn't rush to judgement about this kind of situation.

I feel very sorry for the bloke. It's a horrible thing to happen to anyone. I hope that he gets well soon.

Murg

Its nick name is Soi Thug.
it is also now known as the poor mans walking st ! :o

I just got back from there. I can see why it would be called the poor man's Walking Street but it's definitely not Soi Thug. I didn't see any "Brits on the piss" types but mainly middle aged to elderly gents having a quiet drink with friends. It seems like quite a nice soi, with a mixture of bars, restaurants, hotels, apartments, salons, food stalls and then there's a nice little Thai market. It has changed a lot since I was last there years ago when it was just a dusty road of 2000-3000 baht rooms for bar girls. I didn't see even one tattooed thug but I did see a couple of dear old white ladies. I can only assume the lethal mixture of expats and bar girls gives rise to a lot of contract beatings from jilted lovers.

its about the fact that a 50 year old man was seriously injured and beaten by four (able bodied presumably younger) Thai men who were so inept and full of cowardice, that they had to beat him with rocks that they brought with them (allegedly).

This is the issue and recurring theme farangs face in Thailand. Just 4 punks picking on a defensless man, but it always seems Ok if it is 4 thai punks picking on a farang. The local Thais always lack the courage to interfere with the bullies.

All cowards

Well the thing is that anyone who has any amount of time in Thailand knows how generally easy going Thai people are. However, like many Asian societies, anger is often bottled-up (and of course the ever present "face" issue) and that uncontrollable anger can be unleashed once the cork is popped.

The violence you see in Thailand is not random (as it often is in the West). You must do something to piss someone big time for them to come after you physically.

Therefore, to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute.

Back in my part of farangland, you could be shopping for clothes (5 women gunned down in robbery last week), attending a city council meeting and get killed by some wacko (4-5 people gunned down last week in such a meeting), or just today...be attending college and get gunned down while attending a geology class lecture (6 killed and another 10-15 injured (some seriously) by someone who went postal.

So if one just minds one's own business you are most likely not to have any serious problems in LOS but often times in farangland, you are just going about your business and get randomly killed :o

Its too late back in farangland to read through all the posts in this topic but I'm with JonnieBKK on this one, his quote above is spot on

Random attacks are rare.....

It would be safe to assume that unless it was mistaken ID then this guy has peeved someone off...Doesnt make it right and someone getting hurt is not good.

I, like at least 2 other posters, still want to know what did his friends do to stop this attack ??

Well the thing is that anyone who has any amount of time in Thailand knows how generally easy going Thai people are. However, like many Asian societies, anger is often bottled-up (and of course the ever present "face" issue) and that uncontrollable anger can be unleashed once the cork is popped.

The violence you see in Thailand is not random (as it often is in the West). You must do something to piss someone big time for them to come after you physically.

Therefore, to be the recipient of a sack-full of stones to the back of the head this fella must of done something really stupid (as to cultural phopah) or possibly been in some kind of business dispute.

Back in my part of farangland, you could be shopping for clothes (5 women gunned down in robbery last week), attending a city council meeting and get killed by some wacko (4-5 people gunned down last week in such a meeting), or just today...be attending college and get gunned down while attending a geology class lecture (6 killed and another 10-15 injured (some seriously) by someone who went postal.

So if one just minds one's own business you are most likely not to have any serious problems in LOS but often times in farangland, you are just going about your business and get randomly killed :o

Its too late back in farangland to read through all the posts in this topic but I'm with JonnieBKK on this one, his quote above is spot on

So you do not live in Asia or Thailand but know it all like oldasia hand jonny boy - mind you he has 10 years in country so he must be good

It would be safe to assume that unless it was mistaken ID then this guy has peeved someone off...Doesnt make it right and someone getting hurt is not good.

I, like at least 2 other posters, still want to know what did his friends do to stop this attack ??

If they were of the same age as the bloke attacked and not the sort to have had bother before then they were probably a bit shocked and wary.

So big man what would you have done against 4 blokes with rocks half your age?

If they were of the same age as the bloke attacked and not the sort to have had bother before then they were probably a bit shocked and wary.

dont you mean 2 guys with rocks.....when did it become 4 blokes ??

I'd at least fight back.....and I would hope that my friends would at least help.

dont you mean 2 guys with rocks.....when did it become 4 blokes ??

I'd at least fight back.....and I would hope that my friends would at least help.

Just out of interest how many street fights have you had?