A Thai University With Western Teachers?

ukjackthai

Hi,

I'm having trouble at my current university, ABAC, with adapting to there undergraduate teaching methods. The accents of the teachers are also a problem for me - when they try to explain difficult topics using advanced vocabulary I don't have a clue what they're saying! not to mention the poor management system, teachers not turning up, general lack of organization etcetera. Thus, I am trying to book myself into a university, preferably a small private institution around bangkok, where most of the teachers have aquired English as their native tounge and can cater for undergraduates.

I'd really appreciate any input on this topic :o

Edited by ukjackthai

webster university? or bangkok university? pretty much will be the same everywere i guess and yeah ABAC is one of them university that is not up to standard yet my friend go there and said they just want your money dont care about education

they just want your money dont care about education

That just sums ABAC up in 1 sentance. It makes me so angry when they claim to be a "non-profit" university.

Thanks, I'll try webster tomorrow. I had a look at Bangkok university before and was not impressed.

I just enrolled myself into webster of hua hin. Every teacher has to have been educated in the west (lecturers are mostly north american) and 50% of the students are american/european - there are just 350 - 400 students.

Cant wait 'till may, so relieved to get out of that sh!thole AKA ABAC. Webster's fees are a bit expensive compared with other uni's in LOS, 340K a year but with help from my Thai passport I'll get a scholarship and maybe even an intern with the UN.

Ill be staying 4 nights a week in Hua Hin - classes are only open from mon to thur, 3 nights in BKK to see my gf and family.

Thanks for all your help TV members!! :o

I am sorry but if you want anything more than a mickey mouse degree you are going to have to go somewhere else if its taught in English.

Any decent employer would bin your CV and I do know what I am talking about.

Sorry for being so harsh but its reality - I know what our Thai people are like when looking at CV's and I know what I do as well.

Webster with 15 lecturers - bet they are not exactly top guys in their field - list their publications?

Edited by Prakanong

I am sorry but if you want anything more than a mickey mouse degree you are going to have to go somewhere else if its taught in English.

Sorry for being so harsh but its reality - I know what our Thai people are like when looking at CV's and I know what I do as well.

Webster with 15 lecturers - bet they are not exactly top guys in their field - list their publications?

I trust more a regional managing consultant (whom I reported to for 6 months for my internship) of an executive serach firm than you. I have absolutely no intention to work in Thailand after I graduate and am very sure a university in England will take me in for a masters as Webster has a campus in London.

But thanks for your views anyway.

Funny really, looking through the BA faculty members...

Pacapol Anurit, Lecturer

BA (International Business) ( Richmond University )

MA (Computer Resources & Information management) (Webster University, UK)

MBA (General Business) ( Webster University , UK )

PhD (Consumer Behaviour) ( Middlesex University Business School )

Edited by ukjackthai

Considering the stated student populations at both Webster and Stamford in Hua Hin/Cha-Am, I doubt there are more than 15 lecturers at either place, and most of them apparently are not native speakers. I've never been to either, though, so as usual, I may be mistaken.

Ouch!

The claims made by the OP sound bogus to me too.

350-400 students? Webster and Stamford combined maybe.

I trust more a regional managing consultant (whom I reported to for 6 months for my internship) of an executive serach firm than you. I have absolutely no intention to work in Thailand after I graduate and am very sure a university in England will take me in for a masters as Webster has a campus in London.

Oh its big swinging dick time - I think your regional managing consultant will know the company and position I am in here in Asia - tell him to call me and I will have a chat - his minions have probably tried before but you might get him something he has not been able to.

Yes Webster has a campus in London - for failures who have to pay to get in as they can not get in a "Name" Uni on ability and all employers know this and if you think different you are kidding yourself.

Funny really, looking through the BA faculty members...

Pacapol Anurit, Lecturer

BA (International Business) ( Richmond University )

MA (Computer Resources & Information management) (Webster University, UK)

MBA (General Business) ( Webster University , UK )

PhD (Consumer Behaviour) ( Middlesex University Business School )

ROFLMAO - not exactly name Uni's are they.

You have a lot to learn sonny jim

Oh its big swinging dick time - I think your regional managing consultant will know the company and position I am in here in Asia - tell him to call me and I will have a chat - his minions have probably tried before but you might get him something he has not been able to.

Yes Webster has a campus in London - for failures who have to pay to get in as they can not get in a "Name" Uni on ability and all employers know this and if you think different you are kidding yourself.

hmm... I'm not interested in your vindictive and derogatory comments. I don't know you and I really couldn't care less what you do for a living. So yes, please feel free to sneer at me for trying to get a little vocational work experience in a MNC when I was 17 because you like to think their industry is inferior to yours. What are you trying to prove? You must know as well as me that Webster is far better than ABAC - have you ever been to visit either university? Have you seen the ridiculous policies of ABAC, dirty bangkapi campus, 40+ class sizes, ABAC "book readers" AKA lecturers etc?

I respect rationalists, my father is a great believer, but I think your jumping to conclusions regarding Webster University based on your own assumptions. Or maybe I am. But when I see this: "Webster University currently enrols more than 20,000 students worldwide with graduates pursuing successful careers in major corporations and organizations throughout the world. In the US, it is listed in the top 10 private universities in size" source, listen to my retired mother and father's positive views, remember what an ex-colleague said a few months ago and then some indiscreet individual from an internet forum thinks otherwise... who am I to believe?

Yes, maybe it is you jumping to conclusions. You don't know me. I am far from what you quote "failures who have to pay to get in as they cannot get in a "Name" Uni on ability" I know I don't have to prove myself to you but just for the record I finished secondary school within the top 25% of British students and then I transferred to ABAC at 16 with almost three times more qualifications than what the admission criteria states.

If you can show me the facts and sources about the "...mickey mouse degrees..." and why you think "Any decent employer would bin your CV..." should I graduate with Webster's undergraduate program I'd appreciate it because I hate it when I keep seeing this stuff: "Graduates of WUT earn a recognized American degree that is also fully accredited by the Thailand Commission of Higher Education." – gives me the feeling of being scammed...

I know you're just expressing views that are in my best interests and I thank you, but please lets not turn this discussion anymore sour than it already is - and that goes for those other posters who like to throw around figures without any evidence to back it up.

ukjack, you are right. This sneering prakanong does not know what he is talking about. Webster is a decent school. Its not Cornell or Cambridge but it is not pretending to be. It is US accredited and the credits are transferable anywhere. I think the standards there are higher than any English-language program in any Thai university in the country and are much higher than ABAC or BBK Univ. Webster has a global network of seven campuses and students transfer easily among them. The faculty over all is pretty good (again, much much better than, say, ABAC). Over half are American, a couple of Aussies, and the rector is British (a professional with 40 years educational experience). This term there are students from 31 countries at the Cha-am Webster campus. All but a very few are quite satisfied with the education they are getting. The school needs more students but its growth prospects are good.

ukjackthai, if you choose Webster then wecome! I'll see you aroung. I teach there.

Cheers. :o

Considering the stated student populations at both Webster and Stamford in Hua Hin/Cha-Am, I doubt there are more than 15 lecturers at either place, and most of them apparently are not native speakers. I've never been to either, though, so as usual, I may be mistaken.

"WUT’s degree program and course work is the same as those used at all Webster campuses. Currently more than 80% of our faculty comes from Western countries..." source

Could you tell me please, the "stated" student populations and source.

ukjack, you are right. This sneering prakanong does not know what he is talking about. Webster is a decent school. Its not Cornell or Cambridge but it is not pretending to be. It is US accredited and the credits are transferable anywhere. I think the standards there are higher than any English-language program in any Thai university in the country and are much higher than ABAC or BBK Univ. Webster has a global network of seven campuses and students transfer easily among them. The faculty over all is pretty good (again, much much better than, say, ABAC). Over half are American, a couple of Aussies, and the rector is British (a professional with 40 years educational experience). This term there are students from 31 countries at the Cha-am Webster campus. All but a very few are quite satisfied with the education they are getting. The school needs more students but its growth prospects are good.

ukjackthai, if you choose Webster then wecome! I'll see you aroung. I teach there.

Cheers. :D

Thanks, thats all I wanted to hear. :o

Maybe I'll see you in May then !!

Why go to an International university if you can speak Thai?

The only advantage is that its easier, but a real waste of money for your father.

Im still developing my Thai. My mother never taught me because my sister had complications (speaking 3 words in English, 3 in Thai) when she was young.

Im still developing my Thai. My mother never taught me because my sister had complications (speaking 3 words in English, 3 in Thai) when she was young.

Aw, too bad. That's a small complication for bilingual kids, but eventually gets sorted out when they're older.

Have you considered English-language programs at the Chulalongkorn/Thammasat?

Why go to an International university if you can speak Thai?

The only advantage is that its easier, but a real waste of money for your father.

Ok god luck - Hua Hin is my favourite holiday town.

"WUT’s degree program and course work is the same as those used at all Webster campuses. Currently more than 80% of our faculty comes from Western countries..." source

No, I cannot. We got into big debates last year about Webster and Stamford, my neighbor went to one of them (he was a high school dropout), and I get them confused. However, I am reasonably sure that last year, one of those campuses or both were really struggling to keep students. I have just checked Webster's website, and found that 1/3 of the faculty maybe are native speakers. Depends on whom you count as 'faculty.' By American standards, adjunct faculty are more or less guest lecturers or part timers. I wouldn't count ESL teachers with only a bachelor degree as university faculty.

I cannot find the source that Webster in the USA is top ranked, but I don't know all the American universities.

Aw, too bad. That's a small complication for bilingual kids, but eventually gets sorted out when they're older.

Have you considered English-language programs at the Chulalongkorn/Thammasat?

My girlfriend is the best Thai teacher that i've encountered so far :o

"WUT's degree program and course work is the same as those used at all Webster campuses. Currently more than 80% of our faculty comes from Western countries..." source

No, I cannot. We got into big debates last year about Webster and Stamford, my neighbor went to one of them (he was a high school dropout), and I get them confused. However, I am reasonably sure that last year, one of those campuses or both were really struggling to keep students. I have just checked Webster's website, and found that 1/3 of the faculty maybe are native speakers. Depends on whom you count as 'faculty.' By American standards, adjunct faculty are more or less guest lecturers or part timers. I wouldn't count ESL teachers with only a bachelor degree as university faculty.

I cannot find the source that Webster in the USA is top ranked, but I don't know all the American universities.

Sorry, my bad, I’ve just been told there are around 200 students in the Hua Hin campus. Maybe because they're based all the way down in Hua Hin could be the reason why the populations are so low - counting on internationals from other campuses to transfer to beautiful Hua Hin? I did ask for a small institution and 200 students seems pretty small to me, I bet the class sizes are very comfortable. I had a friend from Santa Monica, USA and he did verify Webster as being top for something...

Whatever way you want to look at it, overall, I get the feeling Webster should be much better than ABAC. I guess we'll find out in May.

Hey, maybe Webster's in Thailand is a veritable Oxford or Harvard of higher education, worldwide. My bachelor's degree was granted by a college with 600 students, all undergraduates. Even in a popular major subject like religion, courses required for the degree in that major, such as Old Testament Theology, were only taught in odd-numbered years, Spring semester, by an unpopular professor. Now, imagine how you would transfer to Webster and finish on time. And how American is it if only one-third of the faculty speaks native English? Notice how many of the Thai faculty, other than Dr. Meenaphat, earned their bachelors' degrees in....Thailand! How much better is that from ABAC?

Added: does that total of 200 include graduate students? Good grief, do the math: how can the student fees even pay the teacher's wages?

Hey, maybe Webster's in Thailand is a veritable Oxford or Harvard of higher education, worldwide. My bachelor's degree was granted by a college with 600 students, all undergraduates. Even in a popular major subject like religion, courses required for the degree in that major, such as Old Testament Theology, were only taught in odd-numbered years, Spring semester, by an unpopular professor. Now, imagine how you would transfer to Webster and finish on time. And how American is it if only one-third of the faculty speaks native English? Notice how many of the Thai faculty, other than Dr. Meenaphat, earned their bachelors' degrees in....Thailand! How much better is that from ABAC?

Added: does that total of 200 include graduate students? Good grief, do the math: how can the student fees even pay the teacher's wages?

Check the schedule. If the courses and programs you want are not offerred then dont consider it further. Your comments about the faculty are misinformed. The web-site still (unfortunately) lists various adjuncts, some of have not taught at Webster in several years. As for the faculty there are about 15 full-time and about another 6-8 permanent part-time faculty. Of the full time all but 2-3 are native English speakers (US AUST or UK). Those that arent are quite fluent in English. Your are probably confused about Stamford vs Webster.