A Thai University With Western Teachers?

ukjackthai

I go to Payap University International College in Chiang Mai. http://ic.payap.ac.th/. We have lots of western teachers here as well as Thai teachers who speak good English. In fact, in one of my classes, logic, it is the Thai students who have problems because their English is not good enough.....and they don't revert to teaching in Thai to remedy the situation.

Chiang Mai is a great place to study. Check out the website for more details.

http://ic.payap.ac.th/

Wow, never heard of Payayp U. b4. They need to do more advertising!

IMHO blows Webster away.

Similar degree programs for less money.

US Veterans approved school for funding purposes. Lots of us US veterans out there

Never heard any bad things or saw any evidence about how poorly the school is managed or about any problems with the faculty.

Enrollment is high enough to the point where going out of business and closing its doors does not appear to be a problem.

A Christian affiliation of some kind but Webster is this also.

Looks like a transferrable degree with study abroad opportunities.

I wonder if the OP can get his money back?

There was a disclaimer on the hiring page about low salary for instructors there at Payap U. at least by Western standards, but again Webster does not pay their's well either.

Of all the international universities here in Thailand, the only two I have heard negative things about are Webster and ABAC. Unfortunately the OP might be going from the frying pan into the fire. Hopefully things have changed for the better, and all will turn out good.

I have lived in both places, and both are easy to live in. I have only heard good things about Payap.

Especially the uniforms. Probably the sexist (Freudian slip - of course I meant sexiest) in CM.

Edited by Loaded

I have lived in both places, and both are easy to live in. I have only heard good things about Payap.

Especially the uniforms. Probably the sexist (Freudian slip - of course I meant sexiest) in CM.

If it weren't for my GF's attachment to Korat, I would be at Payap right now because they are VA approved. I took a look at their campus about 3 years ago and found quite nice. And yes, the uniforms were quite...ummm....attractive.

Ski....and Goong

I go to Payap University International College in Chiang Mai. http://ic.payap.ac.th/. We have lots of western teachers here as well as Thai teachers who speak good English. In fact, in one of my classes, logic, it is the Thai students who have problems because their English is not good enough.....and they don't revert to teaching in Thai to remedy the situation.

I used to live in CM (not teaching though) and Payap seemed like a pretty good situation. You mentioned, though, that you are taking "logic" now at Payap. As it happens I am currently teaching Symbolic Logic at Webster. I would be interested to compare how the topic is taught there vs. here. For example, which text are you using? We are using Klenk's "Understanding Symbolic Logic", which is used at many campuses in the US (but which, frankly, I am not that happy with). How many students are in your class? (I have 13 total, 2 Thai, 6 other-Asian, and 5 US and Europe). I am basically following the same syllabus as is used in most US schools (begining with Sentential Logic and ending with Relational Predicate Logic with Identity). Is it the same there? Believe me, I am not angling to put Payap in a bad light, I am merely curious as to how the same course compares. :o

It seems to me that the choice depends partly on the degree subject you wish to study. Mahidol is certainly worth considering for science and health-related subjects, but others also have their strengths. Websters and Payap don't exactly trip off the tongue when it comes to reputation. The Thai universities with an international profile probably don't go far beyond Chula, Mahidol, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Chiang Mai, NIDA, King Mongkuts, Prince of Songkla and Khon Kaen. However, I wonder if an institution with a strong link to a prestigious overseas university is worth thinking about. The Asian University of Science & Technology in Chonburi was set up as a collaborative venture involving the highly-ranked Imperial College, London, and would be good for a subject such as business management.

Edited by citizen33

It seems to me that the choice depends partly on the degree subject you wish to study. Mahidol is certainly worth considering for science and health-related subjects, but others also have their strengths. Websters and Payap don't exactly trip off the tongue when it comes to reputation. The Thai universities with an international profile probably don't go far beyond Chula, Thammasat, Kasetsart, Chiang Mai, Mahodol, NIDA, King Mongkuts and Khon Kaen. However, I wonder if an institution with a strong link to a prestigious overseas university is worth thinking about. The Asian University of Science & Technology in Chonburi was set up as a collaborative venture involving the highly-ranked Imperial College, London, and would be good for a subject such as business management.

In support of my university, they have many strong faculties beyond the sciences. I work in one of them. Music anyone?

I used to live in CM (not teaching though) and Payap seemed like a pretty good situation. You mentioned, though, that you are taking "logic" now at Payap. As it happens I am currently teaching Symbolic Logic at Webster. I would be interested to compare how the topic is taught there vs. here. For example, which text are you using? We are using Klenk's "Understanding Symbolic Logic", which is used at many campuses in the US (but which, frankly, I am not that happy with). How many students are in your class? (I have 13 total, 2 Thai, 6 other-Asian, and 5 US and Europe). I am basically following the same syllabus as is used in most US schools (begining with Sentential Logic and ending with Relational Predicate Logic with Identity). Is it the same there? Believe me, I am not angling to put Payap in a bad light, I am merely curious as to how the same course compares. :o

We are using quite a few references. Right now, the book we are studying is called Being Logical-A Guide to Good Thinking by D. Q. McInerny. A five part book with each part having many chapters in it. Part One-Preparing the Mind for Logic, Part Two-The Basic Principles of Logic, Part Three-Argument: The Language of Logic, Part Four-The Sources of Illogical Thinking, and Part Five-The Principal Forms of Illogical Thinking. After the midterm next week, the teacher will have us analyze a book (one of five of her choice) according to the principles we learned in the logic book we studied.

I'm not sure how most logic classes are taught. This is my first class. However, from my readings so far, you would think a book of logic would be a lot easier to read. (Be more logical) I am assuming logic is taught to college students and not at a level above that. Maybe I'm not that smart but it sure seems a little difficult to me. I end up reading and re-reading some chapters over and over again just to understand the meaning. But I think it is starting to sink in.

My class has about 20 students in it (I guess). The Thai students have the most problems with the class because their English is not as strong as the rest. Also, the teachers at Payap don't revert to Thai or any other language for that matter if the students are having problems understanding English. There are two Japanese students as well as some Burmese, Australian, American, British, Italian, Chinese and Korean students. There are about 350 International Students at Payap University International College.

Chiang Mai is a great place to study. The students at Payap are all quite nice. It is amazing how well all of us from all of the different countries get along so well. I wonder why our governments can't get along as good as we can?

My logic teacher is Dr. Esther Wakeman. A theologist who likes to start class with a prayer. She is a nice lady who, although Christian, does not force her beliefs onto the students any more than just the morning prayer. If you would like her email address to discuss her logic curriculum send me an PM and I will give it to you.

Both the International Programs for Business Administration and Economics at Thammasat University are very good. I'm sure there is good ones at Chula and Mahidol as well. Please tell me you have looked at these before you enroll at Webster!

We are using quite a few references. Right now, the book we are studying is called Being Logical-A Guide to Good Thinking by D. Q. McInerny. A five part book with each part having many chapters in it. Part One-Preparing the Mind for Logic, Part Two-The Basic Principles of Logic, Part Three-Argument: The Language of Logic, Part Four-The Sources of Illogical Thinking, and Part Five-The Principal Forms of Illogical Thinking. After the midterm next week, the teacher will have us analyze a book (one of five of her choice) according to the principles we learned in the logic book we studied.

I'm not sure how most logic classes are taught. This is my first class. However, from my readings so far, you would think a book of logic would be a lot easier to read. (Be more logical) I am assuming logic is taught to college students and not at a level above that. Maybe I'm not that smart but it sure seems a little difficult to me. I end up reading and re-reading some chapters over and over again just to understand the meaning. But I think it is starting to sink in.

My class has about 20 students in it (I guess). The Thai students have the most problems with the class because their English is not as strong as the rest. Also, the teachers at Payap don't revert to Thai or any other language for that matter if the students are having problems understanding English. There are two Japanese students as well as some Burmese, Australian, American, British, Italian, Chinese and Korean students. There are about 350 International Students at Payap University International College.

Chiang Mai is a great place to study. The students at Payap are all quite nice. It is amazing how well all of us from all of the different countries get along so well. I wonder why our governments can't get along as good as we can?

My logic teacher is Dr. Esther Wakeman. A theologist who likes to start class with a prayer. She is a nice lady who, although Christian, does not force her beliefs onto the students any more than just the morning prayer. If you would like her email address to discuss her logic curriculum send me an PM and I will give it to you.

Thanks for your informative reply. From what you said, that sounds like a "Critical Thinking" course (which I also teach here at Webster) as opposed to a formal symbolic logic course. It's a good course and it is good stuff to know. Best of luck with it! (I'll send you a PM because it would be interesting to communicate with your professor on this topic. Thanks)

Thanks for your informative reply. From what you said, that sounds like a "Critical Thinking" course (which I also teach here at Webster) as opposed to a formal symbolic logic course. It's a good course and it is good stuff to know. Best of luck with it! (I'll send you a PM because it would be interesting to communicate with your professor on this topic. Thanks)

Actually, you are correct! The official name of the class is Symbolic and Critical Reasoning but most of the students call it logic.

She divided the class up into different groups and assigned different chapters to each group. Every time we meet, one group teaches the rest of the class the material they were assigned. Each person in the group has to be active in the presentation explaining their particular part of the group work to the rest of the class.

Each group is responsible for a power point presentation as well as a 15 question test for the class. It's a fun class. Most everyone in the class is active in the discussions (some more than most). It is challenging but I think most of us are learning the material. Good luck teaching at Webster!!!

As you are a teacher at Webster, maybe you could let us know where your PhD is from and give a brief list of your publications?

It seems that some of the criticism of Webster in this thread has been about the low quality of their academics.

What areas of research are the teachers at Webster involved in; where are their PhD's from? where do they publich their research? Is it in international peer reviewed journals?

Thanks....

As you are a teacher at Webster, maybe you could let us know where your PhD is from and give a brief list of your publications?

It seems that some of the criticism of Webster in this thread has been about the low quality of their academics.

What areas of research are the teachers at Webster involved in; where are their PhD's from? where do they publich their research? Is it in international peer reviewed journals?

Thanks....

SHDWFX, this question was addressed to you.....

Thanks....

SHDWFX, this question was addressed to you.....

2 post newbies aren't likely to get much response

That will be quite enough of the baiting. None of us has to publish our credentials on ThaiVisa.

But it would be quite revealing if everyone on TV who asks leading questions had to reveal their own credentials as a prerequisite. :o

That will be quite enough of the baiting. None of us has to publish our credentials on ThaiVisa.

But it would be quite revealing if everyone on TV who asks leading questions had to reveal their own credentials as a prerequisite. :o

Indeed! Some enquiring minds who question the credentials of Phd's might be secondary school dropouts. Some posters on TVisa are overqualified.

Indeed! Some enquiring minds who question the credentials of Phd's might be secondary school dropouts. Some posters on TVisa are overqualified.

there may be a point to my 'baiting', and I do not mean any offence...