Gun Laws In Thailand

micksterbs

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Weekendwarrior, I do not think he said anything offensive, nor was trying to start a fight with anything. The worst thing he has done is post a picture of himself with a shotgun. I have guns. I like blowing sh*t up too. :o Though I prefer blowing up non living objects.

P.S. Weekend warrior, what type of long gun is that? Picture resolution is not good, but looks like a good old 12 gauge shotgun?

Yes it is, my favorute for duck shooting. It is a big gun and nearly taller than me.

I make my own cartridges to with a little extra kick in them to bring the duck down.

As for a fan of Terry Nickols, I do not know who that is, can you expolian please.

Cambo is real good for guns, you can hire all kinds a stuff and blow shit up.

I brought a cow once and threw hand grenades at it and then finished it off with a Browning M2 50 cilber machine gun

Mmm,looks like a Beretta o/u sporting to me ,length 47 inches with a 32 inch barrel ,vertically challenged are we?

The O/U's are limited...only 2 shots and you're finished. Nice for display or skeet/trap purposes though. I once had a Maverick (made by Mossberg) 12 guage pump, six shot riot gun. Came with a pistol grip that could be bolted on after unbolting the regular stock. It took 2 3/4 or 3 magnum shells. At the time, the gun sold for about $200. Most other pumps like Remington, Mossberg and Winchester went for close to $300 or more, depending on the model. Not sure what they would cost today.

Colino...that airgun owned by your Thai neighbor sounds interesting. I've never seen a homemade one; I always had cheap ones in the US for shooting at Coke cans in the backyard.

I was never a hunter like WW, but I always enjoyed a session at the range or in a secluded area with some plastic bottles.

Yes it is, my favorute for duck shooting. It is a big gun and nearly taller than me.

I make my own cartridges to with a little extra kick in them to bring the duck down.

Poor ducks.. I just happen to live by the dock where ducks like hanging out.. you'll be surprised to know how smart they can be :o

may I ask what you do with dead ducks?

Roast them generally.

As a child I had a home made gun, I made it from water pipe, wooden handle and closed one end then put what we used to call a 'penny bunger' in it, this is a fire cracker that was kinda big. A hole out the top for the wick and then load it with a marbel or two and light the wick.

Strong enough to send the marbels through the garage wall.

As for Mickysterbs, all i can say is that there is plenty of jobs goin over here for spell teachers like youself if you feel the urge to teach spelling.

Otherwise just ...... Bite me.

The O/U's are limited...only 2 shots and you're finished. Nice for display or skeet/trap purposes though.

I've always respected hunters who use the limited round guns. I mean you should be able to put an animal down in only one shot. Semi-autos, 'spray and pray'...just not really 'sporting'. I have an Ak in the states, but my favorite rifle is a .308 bolt action Mauser that I custom built up myself...hehehe...for $250.

MauserRifle.JPG

Well its not very nice saying I am a fan of a murderer. But like a good christian I can forgive easily, thats what my mum tauht me from an ealry age anyway.

As for the cow, it only had three legs already as one had been severd in an land mine accident. So it was not having a good life anyway.

Heyll man, thats telling em. Caint be havin no three legged cows messing up the natural order of thangs, so yall put em out of their misery.

An if you done run out of cows, theres lotsa folks with one leg there on account of all them landmines, so yall can put em out of their misery too.

Its the weekend, yall have fun now ya hear.

Sorry, haven't got a gun, so can't really join in, apart from the rounds I fired at the shooting gallery under Tiffanies in Pattaya while tring to feel hard. But I will add, before my wedding my brother in law showed me his shotgun, didn't speak much English but said 'Security'. At my wedding in the countryside a local gang decided to come and shoot him, a few rounds were fired, my parents who'd flown from the UK and were luckily sat right next to the PA speakers, DIDNT get shot by strays and were oblivious most of the night while my wife cried as she was afraid her brother was dead who, it turned out, went and shot the other guy who ended up in hospital. My brother in law was of course arrested, the parents sorted it out amongst themselves, the other guy chose to move away. What was the question?

My wife is about to buy a hand gun, first she has to go to a local training centre where they will show her how to use one, she then gets a certificate. Then she goes to the police station where she gets a licence (renewable each year) which will allow her to buy a gun legally. I (as a farang) am not permitted to carry a gun.

• 2 months later...
An overview of the framework is below, though despite this plethora, the trade in illegal small arms is often acknowledged to be widespread.

• Firearms, Ammunition, Explosive Articles and Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act, B.E. 2490 (1947)
  • Munitions of War Control Act, B.E. 2530 (1987)
  • Decree on the Export Control of Armaments and Material, B.E. 2535 (1992)
  • Order of the National Administrator Reform Committee No.37 (October 1976)
  • Ministerial Regulation No.12 (1981), issued under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Firearm Equivalents Act 1947
  • Ministerial Regulation No.1 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.2 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.3 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.4 (1977), issued under the Order of the National 3
  • Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms No.4 (1967)
  • Notification of the Ministry of Interior. Appointment of Registrars, Officers and Officials under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act 1947

In summary, a foreigner in Thailand is unable to carry a firearm, without express permission, which is very rarely granted. For a Thai citizen, they must show themselves to be good members of the community, show cause for issuance of the licence, and I seem to recall show or pay a specific sum {see below} for a firearm licence to be provided. As in other countries the regulations specify class of weapon, including shot-guns, small bore rifles, hand guns etc..

From a report submitted by the Thai authorities to the UN, in 2005:-

Any person who desires to possess small arms (pistols) must obtain permission from the authorities concerned. In Bangkok, the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police is

responsible for granting permit licenses of gun possession. An inter-agency, committee, comprising agencies such as the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Ministry of

Interior, the Ministry of Defence, the Office of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, will be set up to verify the qualification of each applicant. Then, the persons

who have authority to grant permit license are the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and provincial governors. Permit licenses can be cancelled any time when the licensee is proven to have committed a crime or to have used guns inappropriately. The person whose license was cancelled will never be granted a permit license again.

The Ministry of Interior released the ministerial order on 29 May 2003 to suspend the permit license granting for all types of rifle temporarily due to the increasing number of

crime cases caused by small arms and according to the government policy to suppress firearms, illegal arms, and organised crime. Such authorisation must be given by the

Minister of Defence.

For a civilian who wishes to obtain a possessing license, he/she has to be over 35 years old and possess a saving account more than 1 million Baht at least 6 months. In case an

applicant for a permit license owns a business or is a company manager, the registered capital must be at least 10 million Baht. In addition, this act states that any government officer who desires to carry government issued guns and ammunitions out of the office in a non-emergency case has to ask for permission from the head of the agency, and must have the letter of permission at hand.

The Ministry of Interior has proposed new Amnesty Act to exempt penalties to any person possessing illegal arms in order to help reduce the number of illegal arms possession in the country. At present, this Act has not yet been endorsed but is in the final review process.{2005, don't recall that it happened} However, Thailand has enacted the Amnesty Acts six times in the past, namely, in 1948, 1958, 1975, 1987, 1992 and 2000.

Regards

A_Traveller

I guess you'd know more than the average poster about laws concerning non-lethal weapons like pepper sprays, stun guns, and tasers. There's been alot of discussion on this matter on this site but no definitive answer. I actually contacted the tourist police and went to the police station but I can't speak Thai and their English ain't that great so we had a real tough time understanding eachother. My main concerns is am I allowed buy and carry these non-lethal weapons for self protection or can I get a freind to mail them to me if I can't find them on sale here?

Thanks

Non-lethal weapons can be found in street markets and even more so in the famous Jatujak Market of Bangkok. Buying them shouldn't be a problem, as many street vendors get away with selling lethal weapons (knives/swords for example). Carrying them is another issue and I would imagine it's illegal. Best to get a Thai friend or family member who can speak with the local cops and then translate, however many cops don't always know the law (true in the States).

Good to see other people like shooting stuff.

I take my shooting serialsly and I also keep my bullets seperatly so as to not harm myself.

Lord that looks scary :D

:o I did a double take on that one and your post cracked me up

A_Traveller's reply seems to cover micksterb's question very well but following on that thread it appears that some of the criteria needed to obtain a firearm has changed over the past few years. My wife purchased a hand gun about 8 years ago. She was neither 35 years of age at that time nor did she have a million baht in a bank account. She did have to supply a "character reference" from her Kamnan though.

Incidentally, I accompanied her to the gun shop in our local town when we were making the purchase and was somewhat surprised at the amount of individuals (who seemed mostly in their late teens or early 20's) that came in to buy 3 bullets....2 bullets etc. just like one sees some Thais buying two or three cigarettes at a time from the corner shop. I was also surprised by one of the police (who run the shop) when he suggested that when my wife gets her firearms licence (which took about a month to come through) for me to make a downsized copy of it to put in my wallet so that if I ever got stopped with the gun in the car I could show a copy of my wife's licence. I mentioned the fact that I thought that it was not allowed for a farang to be in possession of a firearm. His reply was that I could be taking it to a firing range to do some practise shooting and anyway, we know you but he added....make sure that the gun is not loaded in the car and to keep the bullets separate. Strange but true....still, this is Thailand.

And yes firearms are expensive here. I was quoted over 50,000 baht for a Smith & Wesson .38 calibre. I eventually opted for a Rossi .38 revolver brand new at 37,000 baht. Oops, I mean my wife opted for that gun...ahem!!

A few more points for clarification please. You can drive around with a gun in the car? Loaded or unloaded? Readily accessable or not? Do they make a distinction between a purchase/posession (in your house) permit and a carry permit?

Sorry, haven't got a gun, so can't really join in, apart from the rounds I fired at the shooting gallery under Tiffanies in Pattaya while tring to feel hard. But I will add, before my wedding my brother in law showed me his shotgun, didn't speak much English but said 'Security'. At my wedding in the countryside a local gang decided to come and shoot him, a few rounds were fired, my parents who'd flown from the UK and were luckily sat right next to the PA speakers, DIDNT get shot by strays and were oblivious most of the night while my wife cried as she was afraid her brother was dead who, it turned out, went and shot the other guy who ended up in hospital. My brother in law was of course arrested, the parents sorted it out amongst themselves, the other guy chose to move away. What was the question?

The local "gang bangers" come to your wedding to shoot your brother-in-law? Hope your comfortable marrying into this family.

I believe there is a different license for carrying a gun. You may be allowed to carry a gun in your car while going to the shooting range but it shouldn't be accessible or loaded. Farangs can get a ownership license if they have PR but very few people get the license to actually carry the gun around.

Had a right chortle reading through this thread. :D

Me too :D Don't think I'm ready for Cambodia :o

I've often thought an Air Rifle would be useful though. Not seen any, although most locals have what appear to be handmade Muskets.

Any one know wether a Farang could legally own an AirRifle or are they covered by the same 'Firearms' laws.

Forget about lusting after those deadly firearms. Just think of the trouble you would be in filling some poor, unfortunate Thai full of lead. It ain't gonna be like America - judged by an impartial jury of your peers and subject to all levels of judicial review. Get a can of the stuff described in the attached article. Stops charging sows in their tracks, or so they claim (and I don't mean your wife). Probably good for those pesky soi dogs as well. I wonder if it's legal here. If so, someone needs to get the franchise.

Spray_proves_its_worth.rtf

Well its not very nice saying I am a fan of a murderer. But like a good christian I can forgive easily, thats what my mum tauht me from an ealry age anyway.

As for the cow, it only had three legs already as one had been severd in an land mine accident. So it was not having a good life anyway.

I think a "good Christian" would have walked up to the cow and shot at its head at point-blank range. That would have been the kind thing to do, and I think I know the posters on this board well-enough to say that they would do the same. But to use it for grenade target practice... People never cease to amaze me.

I have to agree with Micksterbs, there is nothing 'Christian' about what you did. And, who the heII are you to decide that the cow was better off dead? I've got a three-legged dog who has a great life.

What you did was sick and how anyone could get anything resembling pleasure out of this is beyond me.

I'll bet Jesus talks to you, huh? :o:D

if things go as planned, I'll be moving out to Thailand in about six years :D :D :D . I legally carry a gun here for work and will be able to carry after I retire. I'm going to be bummed in that regards when I move to Thailand since I have to leave the weapons here, BUT I've never felt threatened when I visited Thailand so bummed as I maybe at just the fact that carrying a gun won't be an option, I'll be glad to be there living a simple life with my honey.....But she will probably have to get a Remington 870 for our home with 00 buckshot tactical load if available :o

Ah, Cambodia. :o I bet Ernest Hemingway would have been inspired to pen some of his most stirring prose if he'd only had the opportunity to indulge in feats of macho sporting derring-do like firing a LARS rocket at a tethered (3-legged) cow. Or decimate a bunch of chickens with an AK47. Anyone else who has never experienced the adrenaline rush of pitting your wits, strength, and automatic-firepower against crippled defenceless ruminants should hold your manhood cheaply.

• 9 months later...

From A_Traveller's summary the regulations certainly seem to have tightened up, probably as a result of Thaksin's push to restrict gun ownership, even though that was resisted by the police who are generally in favor of licensed gun ownership because they like the idea of civilians being responsible for their own protection rather than them. I had a copy of the pre-Thaksin regulations which didn't specify a 35 year age limit, although that is probably a good idea. The bank depposit was only about B40,000 not B1 million and I think there was requirement to have a letter from an employer confirming a salary of about B40,000 month too. The B10 million registered capital for company managers is also new and sounds rather strict. Thaksin also told the police not to issue licenses for those already had a firearm but the police probably abandoned that after he got the boot. Licensing is a nice little earner for the police licensing dept as they charge an under the counter fee for each applicant that doesn't his application left pending for a couple of years.

I don't know if this summary submitted by the govt to the UN is accurate. You could get an up-to-date version from the police gun licensing office in Lardprao or just ask the gun shops around the Old Siam Center in Bangkok's Chinatown. They know the score and don't want to waste time with customer's whose applications will be rejected.

Foreigners are entitled to a Por 4 license for home protection, only if they are permanent residents, or specially approved i.e. embassy staff or DEA agents. This seems not to be a problem in Bangkok but provincial governors and provincial police can set their own guidelines and may choose not issue licenses to foreigners. The Phuket governor used to have a policy not to issue them. Don't know if that is still the case.

The additional license for a civilian to carry a concealed weapon in public is very hard to obtain, except for MPs, senators and senior members of the Royal Family. Applicants would have to proove a strong need e.g. owning a jewellery business and carry valuable items around. Again embassy staff and DEA can get these but I would think it very rare for other foreigners. Carry permits are only valid for one year, whereas the Por 4 permit is valid for the holder's lifetime.

Technically it is illegal to carry a licensed gun in your car to a firing range or to a repair shop but police seem to accept that is OK, as licensees would otherwise never have a chance to practice with their guns, as long as it is not loaded and ammo is not in the same part of the car as the gun.

you have majority of thai crooked cops with guns and more dangerous. I don't know if the local thugs or cops are the bad ones?!?. :o You realize of course the cops are usually control by corrupt politician and local gangsta, nothing new. I should carry my own zip gun or popgun just in case.

Edited by majorpacman