Gun Laws In Thailand

micksterbs

A_Traveller's reply seems to cover micksterb's question very well but following on that thread it appears that some of the criteria needed to obtain a firearm has changed over the past few years. My wife purchased a hand gun about 8 years ago. She was neither 35 years of age at that time nor did she have a million baht in a bank account. She did have to supply a "character reference" from her Kamnan though.

Incidentally, I accompanied her to the gun shop in our local town when we were making the purchase and was somewhat surprised at the amount of individuals (who seemed mostly in their late teens or early 20's) that came in to buy 3 bullets....2 bullets etc. just like one sees some Thais buying two or three cigarettes at a time from the corner shop. I was also surprised by one of the police (who run the shop) when he suggested that when my wife gets her firearms licence (which took about a month to come through) for me to make a downsized copy of it to put in my wallet so that if I ever got stopped with the gun in the car I could show a copy of my wife's licence. I mentioned the fact that I thought that it was not allowed for a farang to be in possession of a firearm. His reply was that I could be taking it to a firing range to do some practise shooting and anyway, we know you but he added....make sure that the gun is not loaded in the car and to keep the bullets separate. Strange but true....still, this is Thailand.

And yes firearms are expensive here. I was quoted over 50,000 baht for a Smith & Wesson .38 calibre. I eventually opted for a Rossi .38 revolver brand new at 37,000 baht. Oops, I mean my wife opted for that gun...ahem!!

I believe you are quite correct, this is the way the law seems to stand currently, there is no need for 1 million in the bank, and everything else you have said stacks up with a Thai friend of mine's opinion.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i got my first Thai Driving Licence many years ago, i was informed i could now apply for a Firearms Licence, the logic still evades me.Not a Joke, the Officer was very proud to tell me, and a Thai confirmed it..Im still armless.:huh: