Bank Charges For Atm Withdraws

My bank in the States is Suntrust. They charge me $2 for each ATM transaction here in Thailand. This, I believe, is true for most US banks.

They also charge a 1% foreign currency fee, which is also pretty standard. Most Visa credit card companies also charge this 1%, althought some (like First USA) charge 3%.

To see if your bank is charging a foreign currency fee, compare the rate you get with the Interbank Exchange Rate (Google on BOT, then click on exchange rates).

$3.50 is high. My charge from large Denver based bank is $1.50 and the 1% below rate of exchange.

If you require money for visa reasons it is probably better to transfer large sums via wire and then use a local ATM card to access from Thai bank.

I have an account at TD Waterhouse in the states. It acts as a regular checking account and you can trade stocks if you so wish.

I pay $0 ATM fee and the exchange rate is excellent as they use the interbank rate and there are NO other fees. I take out ฿100 at a time, no problem.

You can probably apply on-line. go to tdwaterhouse.com

probably most of the discount brakerages are the same. Since they don't have their own branches, they don't charge ATM fees.

I do have something similar to you, only in scandinavia, darth.

I have a fully netbased bank, wich allso not charge anything on atm withdrawals.

And the only thing they charge when i wire money into my thai acc. is the foreign exchange rate that is 1%.

But, as said, nothing at all when use an atm.

I am surprised that ppl actually pay a lot to use atm, that is an electronic service, with small , or none maintanence service..... :o

Wells Fargo charges me $3 overall for each ATM withdrawl, so I try to max it out at my daily limit of $300 (12,000 baht). Not sure if they hit me with any foreign currency exchange fee, and the rate looks okay. But if I buy something (goods or services, not cash) with my debit card, they charge me 2%, so I don't use the card for purchases.

I have an account at TD Waterhouse in the states.  It acts as a regular checking account and you can trade stocks if you so wish.

I pay $0 ATM fee and the exchange rate is excellent as they use the interbank rate and there are NO other fees.  I take out ฿100 at a time, no problem.

You can probably apply on-line.  go to tdwaterhouse.com

probably most of the discount brakerages are the same.  Since they don't have their own branches, they don't charge ATM fees.

Thanks DB!!!

Just opened account online and put $1000 US into it and when I receive card I will Check it out and see how it works!!!

Im Tired of Paying $3.50 a time as i always pull out the max which is 20,000 baht at a time. I should save about $20 a month.

Once again great advice just what I was Looking for Thanks-

P.S. Any stock tips?

:o

I have an account at TD Waterhouse in the states.  It acts as a regular checking account and you can trade stocks if you so wish.

I pay $0 ATM fee and the exchange rate is excellent as they use the interbank rate and there are NO other fees.   I take out ฿100 at a time, no problem.

You can probably apply on-line.   go to tdwaterhouse.com

probably most of the discount brakerages are the same.  Since they don't have their own branches, they don't charge ATM fees.

Thanks DB!!!

Just opened account online and put $1000 US into it and when I receive card I will Check it out and see how it works!!!

Im Tired of Paying $3.50 a time as i always pull out the max which is 20,000 baht at a time. I should save about $20 a month.

Once again great advice just what I was Looking for Thanks-

P.S. Any stock tips?

:o

you don't want my stock tips to be sure!! glad I could help.

I was just using the 100B as an example. But i have taken out 100b a few times. like when I'm on my way to pick up my paycheck or something. i try not to bring in money from outside thailand when possible. its only playing into toxin's hands.

like it or not (mr. toxin that is), the money I earn here, I spend here, so I am contributing to the Thai economy in any case. and I am contributing more than those fools outside my apartment blowing their ###### whistles all day.