BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
davidhagan

Was Refused 1 Year Extension Without Teacher's Licence

Yesterday my friend who has been teaching at a goverment school for 2 years was refused a 1 year visa extension until he produces a teachers licence at Pong Nam Ron immigration office. He had all the usual documents needed plus his reciept for application for teachers licence. He told me that that they said that this requirment came into force on the 12th. He paid the 500 baht as everyone did some time ago.

Has anyone else encountered this problem this week, or knows anything about it?

Yesterday my friend who has been teaching at a goverment school for 2 years was refused a 1 year visa extension until he produces a teachers licence at Pong Nam Ron immigration office. He had all the usual documents needed plus his reciept for application for teachers licence. He told me that that they said that this requirment came into force on the 12th. He paid the 500 baht as everyone did some time ago.

Has anyone else encountered this problem this week, or knows anything about it?

I'm totally perplexed :o !

Posters at several forums, post that when teachers can submit the receipt of the 2006 TL-application, they would receive their visa extension. Other posters post that teachers should have the receipt and the application or the certificate of the Thai Language, Culture and Ethics Course.

The case you wrote about is new to me.

But.... please, tell us. Does your friend have a degree? I have a feeling, your friend hasn't!

Petch01

Davidhagan,

Today you were several times logged-in. Why don't you answer my question?

Let me guess........MOETCTMOETCTMOETCT :o:D:o;):bah::D :D :bah::D or a real good friend. But please, answer the question!!!

Petch01

Edited by Petch01

Davidhagan,

Today you were several times logged-in. Why don't you answer my question?

Let me guess........MOETCTMOETCTMOETCT :o:D:o;):bah::D:D:bah::D or a real good friend. But please, answer the question!!!

Petch01

Sorry Petch01 as this was the first time I have used the forum, I'm not sure how the system works.

davidhagan

I think David that the problem is that there are some people going around forums trying to cause concern by posting bogus threads. Why somebody would do this is beyond me, but there are some very strange people out there. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, but the fact that you are new, according to your post count, makes people suspicious. I hope that this has not caused you offense, but as I said there are some nasty people in the world.

I think David that the problem is that there are some people going around forums trying to cause concern by posting bogus threads. Why somebody would do this is beyond me, but there are some very strange people out there. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, but the fact that you are new, according to your post count, makes people suspicious. I hope that this has not caused you offense, but as I said there are some nasty people in the world.

Thanks Garro for you remarks. I certainly am new, and I only wanted to find out if any other teachers had been refused a visa without having a current teachers licence. I have sinse found that another document can be obtained from the Teachers Council of Thailand and my friend is travelling to Bangkok to try to obtain one so that he can renew his contract. My own contract is not up for renewel until May.

davidhagan

So, what are 'the usual documents' that he submitted? Did he meet all of the old requirements - BA/BS, TEFL or CELTA, transcripts, health cert., expired or cancelled old Work Permit, new contract with school?

If EVERYTHING was in order and he got knocked back JUST for the TL, then this is news indeed. Otherwise, I would suspect that there may have been some other problem.

If the OP is true, I'm going to be in trouble this May! :o

I see that we posted at the same time. Thanks for the update.

I suspect that the TCT is going to be very busy in the next few months!

I have been searching on forums for two days regarding this and am not someone inclined to post but after reading the response from David I felt I should. Bear with me too Im new to this. What David says is correct. B visa renewals are being denied if applicants do not hold a certificate from TCT. Irrespective of holding a receipt for 5OOB, having a degree, WP, contract and tax receipts. Having spent some time finding out what can be done it would appear that there is a possibility that you can gain an exception certificate allowing a possible 3 years to obtain the following.

a) 20 hours of Thai culture and ethics course. (If holding a BEd or BA and PGCE (one year educational training)

:o 20 hours plus one year at university (weekend courses) to obtain the required education cedits (27 I think) plus BA any field.

There are ofcourse various other stipulations relating to years of experience. But this is it in broad terms.

This isnt scaremongering. As someone who has just had to inform newly appointed teachers that providing 500B to the school just wasnt sufficient and spending two days trying to decipher the legal documents from the TCT i really dont have the energy to get into idle gossip.

Having spent some time finding out what can be done it would appear that there is a possibility that you can gain an exception certificate allowing a possible 3 years to obtain the following.

So, if it isn't gossip, please tell us where can we find information to apply for an exception certificate.

Petch01

To the OP..............Davidhagan.........................you were asked if your "friend" has a degree? Does he/she?

He is a teaching collegue in a neighbouring school and he does have a degree and a TESL certificate. I have been given a visa plus work permit for the past 5 years, ( I do have a degree plus a teacher's certificate from NSW Australia, where I taught for 25 years) as he has for the past 2, so it was a surprise to me, mainly because we had not been informed by our respective schools of this new requirement. I will post a report on Tuesday as to how he fared on his visit to the TCT tomorrow.

davidhagan

Having spent some time finding out what can be done it would appear that there is a possibility that you can gain an exception certificate allowing a possible 3 years to obtain the following.

So, if it isn't gossip, please tell us where can we find information to apply for an exception certificate.

Petch01

I not being the oracle of all information can only pass on what I received from a teacher I emailed in hope of finding out information for someone who has been refused a visa and those hoping to start at school in May. It was the first I had had heard of an excemption certificate and it would appear that you go to the TCT as education no longer deals with this. The only hard proof that I have seen is a photocopy of an A4 certificate from Immigration that allowed a visa renewal. It would appear that this was not actually a license but some kind of permission certificate. The translation remains dependent upon Thai friends as I cant read Thai. The logo however was that of the TCT. Hope this helps