Cameras To Watch Staff Working, Anyone Use Them?

Smithson

Our staff have asked for OT every night, which is fine except we don't want to be there 10 hrs a day. I've seen Thai employers who use cameras to watch staff work while their at home. Generally I've been happy with they way they work, but with us not being there every night things seem to be changing.

Personally I really don't like the idea of CCTV, but I think ppl here don't expect to be trusted and feel it's OK to get away with 'what you can when you can'. I'm wondering if maybe the hard nosed systems used by the Thai Chinese is the best way to go after all.

Any ideas of developing staff loyalty, trust, responsibility would also be appreciated.

I have toyed with the idea of a CCTV recording or web connected sysytem to keep an eye on the staff when I am not around.

I quickly put the idea in the "next year" bin - simply because - if I put the cameras up - my wonderful staff would spend the next three months giving them the bird and all sorts of other obscene pranks. :o

My uncle & cousin's have their supermarket completely wired CCTV to recording and network - more to keep an eye on staff pilferage and product consumption rather than the customer theft. :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

We offer better pay and conditions than similar businesses in our area, as well as long Songkran holidays, end of year trip away and party for the new year. So we don't have any problem finding staff, but they will still quit without giving notice and break for a snack if they can.

What type of work are your staff doing? We're making garments, so if they slow down or stop for snacks we suffer a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 7-11 in Bangkok and installed a camera system immediately after opening. Before the camera was even totally installed we caught a customer who had been pilfering cd's for a number of weeks. His image was broadcast to all the 7-11's in the area and he was apprehended. Also a number of employees were caught with their hand in the till. After they were sent to jail (directly from the store) we had little other problems with theft. I would say it would be worth the cost as it also recorded an assault inside the store.

I own a 7-11 in Bangkok and installed a camera system immediately after opening. Before the camera was even totally installed we caught a customer who had been pilfering cd's for a number of weeks. His image was broadcast to all the 7-11's in the area and he was apprehended. Also a number of employees were caught with their hand in the till. After they were sent to jail (directly from the store) we had little other problems with theft. I would say it would be worth the cost as it also recorded an assault inside the store.

What was the cost for the system? I'm looking for something I can watch from home over the internet. I don't have a problem with theft, but just want to make sure they're not sleeping.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to reawaken an old thread - but I see it wasn't answered.

What was the cost for the system? I'm looking for something I can watch from home over the internet. I don't have a problem with theft, but just want to make sure they're not sleeping.
We have a number of these systems in place - partly for general security and partly to protect staff from customers.

It does allow remote viewing from computers that are connected to the LAN as are the CCTV devices themselves - it also allows CDs of incidents to be burned for later review/evidence etc.

This is a fairly simple setup - each CCTV recoder unit cost about 15,000 Baht with cameras about 3,000 Baht each. Price varies with indoor, low light or external use.

Generally the staff forget about the cameras after a while, but because we have sound recording as well - sometimes people disappear for a private chat.

You would need to investigate remote access to your computer to use the system as you describe, but it is possible.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to reawaken an old thread - but I see it wasn't answered.
We have a number of these systems in place - partly for general security and partly to protect staff from customers.

It does allow remote viewing from computers that are connected to the LAN as are the CCTV devices themselves - it also allows CDs of incidents to be burned for later review/evidence etc.

This is a fairly simple setup - each CCTV recoder unit cost about 15,000 Baht with cameras about 3,000 Baht each. Price varies with indoor, low light or external use.

Generally the staff forget about the cameras after a while, but because we have sound recording as well - sometimes people disappear for a private chat.

You would need to investigate remote access to your computer to use the system as you describe, but it is possible.

What system do you have that allows CD recording for only 15,000 baht ? The only ones i can find in Chiang Mai are 30,000 and up. The 10,000 to 15,000 do not have CD burners in them ?