Suan Phung On The Burmese Border Is An Emerging Destination For Tourists At Pains To Venture Far From Bangkok

sbk

Cool climate, scenic sunrise and sunset, and mountains enveloped in a sea of mist carry great appeal for the majority of Thai tourists. For them it is a fad travelling north and camping outdoors to get a feel of nature and its beauty.

These days, however, they need not venture that far. Suan Phung in Ratchaburi Province, just a two-hour drive from Bangkok, boasts similar ambience. Bordering Burma, Suan Phung is experiencing a tourism boom as evident from the new resorts and holiday homes rising in the district. Off-limit to tourists for long periods in the past, it was a refuge for ethnic Burmese fighting the military regime in Rangoon. But cordial relations between Bangkok and Rangoon paved the way for tourism, and these days you can see Thais travelling there in greater numbers, especially on weekends. Meanwhile, the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Central Region I Office that is responsible for the province has some great designs in the pipeline for Suan Phung.

continued here at the Bangkok Post http://www.bangkokpost.com/Horizons/14Feb2008_hori01.php

• 3 weeks later...

Shame the link doesn't work, but next time I have the opportunity I will go up there for a look. I live in Ratchaburi on and off but have never heard of this place. I could do with a better map.

Holiday homes? I hadn't really considered Thais having holiday homes. I guess it's not on the scale of summer cottages in Scandinavia, but are there any hot spots for this sort of thing?