Malaria Situation On Koh Chang?

sbk

I recall Koh Chang used to have a reputation for having malaria, whats the score these days? I get guests asking quite regularly and would like to be able to give them an informed opinion. So, Changers, inform me please :o

Probably hard to get a definite answer.....it did have a reputation about ten years ago, but claimed to have got over that. However there have been reports both on TV and newspapers about malarial outbreaks in TRAT....well that technically includes Koh Chang.

I very much doubt that the powers that be will do anything more than mumble about such matters if they affect the island....why kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

Edited by wilko

But surely with heavy spraying it would be possible to eliminate malarial mosquitoes from the island? Not saying it would be healthy for the residents at the time, but does anyone know if they tried?

But surely with heavy spraying it would be possible to eliminate malarial mosquitoes from the island? Not saying it would be healthy for the residents at the time, but does anyone know if they tried?

Best to do what they do everywhere els....just cut down the trees dry up the rivers and cover with concrete.

Unless you can take Koh Chang out of the Trat region how can it have nothing to do with it????????

Probably hard to get a definite answer.....it did have a reputation about ten years ago, but claimed to have got over that. However there have been reports both on TV and newspapers about malarial outbreaks in TRAT....well that technically includes Koh Chang.

I very much doubt that the powers that be will do anything more than mumble about such matters if they affect the island....why kill the goose that lays the golden egg?

oh good more conspiracy theories!

Sorry I've never been there (I don't holiday on island beaches :o) , is Koh Chang so close to the mainland that if once eliminated malarial mosquitoes would have no difficulty in repopulating?

Whenever I've been, the locals & other Thais working there assert that malaria isn't a problem on Koh Chang.

There's certainly plenty of mosquitoes about, in all the hotels we've stayed, there have been copious quantities of them to be found in non-air conditioned areas. I've never taken anti-malaria prophylaxis for Koh Chang, but I always use repellant (deet) when out and about on a night, have an electric mosquito killer switched on in the room & a zapper for any that I do see - the zapper's often very useful when you first check in. I've never contracted malaria, but I have been bitten despite the precautions.

I've survived OK never using any anti-malarials or mozzie spray for 4 and a half years. Not heard any stories about anyone catching malaria here recently. Not something the locals worry or gossip about. So for anyone on a 2 week holiday they'd be pretty unfortunate if they got it.

The word 'malaria' gets people worried. I quite a few emails from people worrying that they're going to die on KC. - but no one ever mentions Dengue Fever which is far more prevalent here and across Thailand as a whole and for which there are no prophylactics.

oh good more conspiracy theories!

It would be more constructive if you could put forward an equally credible theory to the contrary, rather than blurting out an old cliche

3 years ago I would have said that there was no malaria on Koh Chang...10 years ago it was famous for it and now there has been an outbreak in "Trat" province of which KC is part. The authorities on KC have repeatedly shown themselvs to be less than righteous when it comes to promoting the tourist industry soI think my theory has some fairly good credibility.

Edited by wilko

• 1 month later...

THis from the Institute of Tropical Diseases Antwerp.....

This map (http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/image.ashx?i=261) shows the "border areas." It's really a map of where there is lots of resistance to mefloquine (Lariam) but that coincides with the border areas. The areas of highest risk in these areas tend to be forested and it's workers in forests or people living in small villages who are most at risk. In general, travelers don't usually go there. But farm areas with lots of rice paddies are great places for mosquitoes. Throw in pig raising and it's prime Japanese encephalitis country.

The Antwerp Tropical Medicine Institute gives the most explicit information (emphasis is theirs; my additions are in brackets. Note what they say about the Chiang Mai area and staying with hill tribes) quoteThere is no malaria risk in Bangkok, other large towns, main tourist resorts - hence Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Phuket and the islands in the Gulf of Thailand: Ko Samui, Phangan, etc. The malaria risk is very small in practically all tourist areas, also around the River Kwai. The normal measures for protection against mosquito bites in the evening and at night are certainly adequate, even when travelling under good conditions in the region of the River Kwai. For the great majority of tourist trips there is therefore no need to take antimalaria tablets. However, it is always advisable to have a mosquito repellent in your bag for application to your skin in the evening or in the early morning. Taking tablets is not necessary when visiting the rainforest in a malaria area during the day and when staying in good hotels in the evenings and nights (e.g. for a stay in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and neighbouring areas). [by "good hotels" they usually mean ones with window screens and air conditioning] On the other hand there is a risk in the following regions (also on certain islands and tourist areas):

a high malaria risk exists in a number of border provinces: in the northern border areas with Myanmar (starting from the Tak province)

and the border with Cambodia (Trat province), there can be a very high malaria risk in some places and there is serious resistance to Lariam .

For a stay of 2 or more nights in primitive conditions (adventure tours) in these rural areas (also applies to people on an organized hike from Chiang Mai and Chang Rai and who stay with local mountain tribes), additional antimalaria measures are often necessary: [they recommend doxycycline or Malarone]Sleeping under a bednet (or in a building with tight screens) has been found to be one of the best ways to prevent malaria.

Last October, Thailand reported a resurgence of malaria, particularly in the area bordering Myanmar/Burma. FYI, in 2006 there were several cases of malaria in European tourists who visited Koh Phangan.

As for dengue, last week the Thai public health ministry reported that there is currently a serious outbreak. "the number of patients this year 2008 was 77 percent higher [than inthe same period in 2007.] ...More than half of the dengue infections and fatalities were in central provinces, followed by the South and the North"

--------------------------------------------------------------

T

Edited by wilko

I recall Koh Chang used to have a reputation for having malaria, whats the score these days? I get guests asking quite regularly and would like to be able to give them an informed opinion. So, Changers, inform me please :o

Business slow ?

Business slow ?

? Sorry? I guess I don't understand your question. I try to help my guests have as nice and informed a holiday as possible.

• 1 month later...

The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) make no mention on their web site about malaria in Thailand, or under the general section on malaria.

But they do comment on dengue fever (for which there is no vaccination).

There are certainly mosquitoes, as on most of the islands, but most sites one reads deson't list malaria as a risk.