Australian Woman Abducted And Gang Raped In Pattaya

taxexile

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another tragic case of misunderstanding the thai culture. Most short term tourist will only ever see the pleasant thai front (i say front because it is a front). When there is money to be made smiles are abundant and help is at hand.

I see so many young attractive - and often scantily clad - young ferang tourists wondering around pattaya and often off the beat and track. They obviously feel undualy safe due to being fed the wrong image of thailand - esp pattaya.

I feel the respective embassys have blood on their hands in these often tragic occurences due to their policy of hiding or downplaying serious crime against foreigners in thailand.

I hope this girl recovers

It was on Thai News Channel 3 last night, They reported that later they found out that the woman had lied, and that she had actually paid the men to sleep with her. After, she became worried that might have caught something from them so decided to go to the hospital for a check-up where she told them she had been raped so that they would check her. The hospital made her to go file a police report before they could check her since she said she was raped. She went to the police station and filed the report. The police then learnt the truth about what happened and went to the womans hotel, however she had already checked out early the next morning.

This is just what was reported at 1am last night on Thai Channel 3 news.

Something was also mentioned about insurance..

Edited by Meg_ken2003

Another tragic case of misunderstanding the thai culture. Most short term tourist will only ever see the pleasant thai front (i say front because it is a front). When there is money to be made smiles are abundant and help is at hand.

I see so many young attractive - and often scantily clad - young ferang tourists wondering around pattaya and often off the beat and track. They obviously feel undualy safe due to being fed the wrong image of thailand - esp pattaya.

I feel the respective embassys have blood on their hands in these often tragic occurences due to their policy of hiding or downplaying serious crime against foreigners in thailand.

I hope this girl recovers

I couldn't agree more. Exactly why is it that western governments and their embassies here through their inaction continue to allow their nationals to get beaten and assulted, mugged, robbed, raped, murdered?

There must be something in it for them to do nothing about it. Nobody does nothing for nothing.

What's the pay off? Money? Prostitutes? Drugs? Contracts? Trade? Free holidays

Whatever it is it must be worth far more than the lives of umpteen Brits, Canadians, Aussies,Yanks.

If they really wanted to stop it they could. I can think of a dozen effective ways to bring an almost immediate halt to pitiful treatment that far too many people are experiencing. No one deserves to be murdered or raped or otherwise terribly treated, no one!

There has to be more to this story than meets the eye.............why did she wait till she went back to the hotel to decide to go to the police?..........wouldn't she of been better telling her story at the hospital when the "good samaritian " was present?. :o

Edit........sorry just seen meg_kens post after posting ,that sounds more like the story. :D

Edited by thaiflyer1

She went to the police station and filed the report.
The police then learnt the truth about what happened

from who ??

the men accused of raping her ??

they seem to have "conveniently" discovered the truth very quickly.

that sounds more like the story. :o

thank you for that in-depth analysis and world record breaking jump to a conclusion !!

Edited by taxexile

Interesting how there's always two sides to any story...sorry to sound sexist but from her looks, I'd put my money on her paying for it [or maybe they offered her a freebie] and then getting more than she bargained for. She don't look no 25 to me either :o

I mean, no woman, no matter how naive, is going to hop on the back of a moto with 3 total strangers in a foreign country are they...unless it was voluntary!

Interesting how there's always two sides to any story...sorry to sound sexist but from her looks, I'd put my money on her paying for it [or maybe they offered her a freebie] and then getting more than she bargained for. She don't look no 25 to me either

I mean, no woman, no matter how naive, is going to hop on the back of a moto with 3 total strangers in a foreign country are they...unless it was voluntary!

oops , the world record for conclusion jumping has been broken again !!

johnniebkk takes gold.

some incredible attitudes here.

foreigners gets shot in pai , ranong , kanchanaburi and before any evidence is produced its shock , horror , outrage and people are up in arms about the dangers of thailand and the lack of decency and morals of thais.

but when foreign woman claims to have been gang raped at knife point in pattaya , and before any evidence is produced people are saying its all her fault and she paid them for sex !!

Edited by taxexile

Interesting how there's always two sides to any story...sorry to sound sexist but from her looks, I'd put my money on her paying for it [or maybe they offered her a freebie] and then getting more than she bargained for. She don't look no 25 to me either

oops , the world record for conclusion jumping has been broken again !!

johnniebkk takes gold.

some incredible attitudes here.

foreigners gets shot in pai , ranong , kanchanaburi and before any evidence is produced its shock , horror , outrage and people are up in arms about the dangers of thailand and the lack of decency and morals of thais.

but when foreign woman claims to have been gang raped at knife point in pattaya , and before any evidence is produced people are saying its all her fault and she paid them for sex !!

Sorry Tax but if Meg_Kens post is correct it does sound a fishy IMO.

Well said, tax, and thank you very much for making that point.

I'd be very surprised if the police story were true, very bizarre conclusion to an act (rape) that many Thai police prefer to avoid dealing with as it is often the case that the victim becomes blamed for their behavior rather than the men who feel the need to assault and rape a woman. Kinda sad how prevalent that attitude is, tho isn't it?

if.

but i cant find any news reports , other than the pattaya daily news report in which she claims she was abducted and raped. if she made a false report to the police and the police want to find her , then i'm sure they have her passport details and it will be a simple matter of locating her when she exits at the airport.

my feeling is that she just wants to get out of the country .

if she was raped , then i doubt if she received sympathetic treatment , either at the hospital or at the police station and she just wants out , knowing full well that she is wasting her time pursuing the matter here.

as sbk said , violence against women (including rape ) is so very common here and the (male dominated) authorities usually put some blame on the victims themselves.

Edited by taxexile

my feeling is that she just wants to get out of the country .

i doubt if she received sympathetic treatment , either at the hospital or at the police station and she just wants out , knowing full well that she is wasting her time pursuing the matter here.

You,re the one that should get first prize for jumping to conclusions.

Not really, I've dealt first hand with a foreign woman raped by a Thai man. The process was humiliating, the police were unsympathetic and worked very hard to prove that she had somehow brought it on herself. Anyone who has seen or heard first hand the general attitude towards rape victims would understand why she might not like to hang around. And given the attitudes expressed here so far, many westerners are not so different in their attitudes towards rape victims as the Thais.

quite, amazing isn't it that one (unproven so far) report that she had made it up & she is the one on trial. Sad sad sad.

Let's hope that none of these guys wives/gf/sisters/mothers are ever the victim of a sex crime in thailand where the female victim is often touted by the people who should be helping her (police) of asking for it or making things up.

lets wait for an actual report to back up the meg_ken2003 version before condemning this women. Seems to be a theme here on thaivisa, women victim of some kind of sexual crime, oh well, she must have been asking for it.!!! Nice

Image25424242221.jpg

Image323422.jpg

Australian Woman Charged for Lying about Rape

The case of an Australian woman raped by youngsters in Pattaya was reversed as evidence showed that the story was most likely a lie.

When Mathilda Cafsics, a 25-year-old Australian tourist, made a complaint to the police over the weekend that she was raped by Thai men, the case defamed Thailand and Pattaya's tourism image.

However, Police Colonel Noppadol Wongnom, Superintendent of the Pattaya Police Station disclosed that the evidence and the complaint of the accuser did not match.

The evidence showed that the accuser was actually staying in a hotel in Central Pattaya with a Thai man when she said the rape occurred. After that, she left the hotel without paying and disappeared.

It was just known that the Australian woman has traveled back to her country. The police are searching for the Thai man who was spending time with her for further interrogation and are preparing an arrest warrant for the 25-year-old Australian woman, charging her with making a false statement and defaming Thailand.

- Thailand Outlook

Indeed & thats why I said, lets wait for more actual reported information instead of making disgusting comments about her for example;

sorry to sound sexist but from her looks, I'd put my money on her paying for it [or maybe they offered her a freebie] and then getting more than she bargained for. She don't look no 25 to me either

I think that attitdue isn't sexist just vile.

Ok I have merged an actual report into this thread & adjusted the topic title. So posts #22, 23 & 24 will show as posted after the news item was added but were actually posted in the original thread prior to this news report coming in & being merged.

And indeed, SJ has reported that the Pattaya people plan on charging her:

When Mathilda Cafsics, a 25-year-old Australian tourist, made a complaint to the police over the weekend that she was raped by Thai men, the case defamed Thailand and Pattaya's tourism image.

I still withhold judgment on this one, given what I saw my friend experience with the police I am not convinced. Besides, even if she weren't being charged, the attitude that the rape victim is to blame is still prevalent, still exists and to deny it is foolish.

Interesting how silent the conspiracy theorists are on this one, given the general attitude on this board towards Thai police I am surprised there isn't more doubt being cast on their investigation.

I have doubt about this report, as it seems to have been made after the women already left the country & they have not actual questioned her to the latest claims only that they have information that she stayed with a thai in a hotel & skipped out on the bill, so nothing at all like her report of the rape. Just sounds too odd & too convienient to me.

But I will welcome further reporting into it & how the police will try to enforce the arrest warrant.

Police suspect story is untrue following Australian Woman’s claims of rape by three Thai men.

In the early hours of Sunday Morning, a 25 year old Australian woman presented herself at Pattaya Police Station, claiming she had just been raped by three Thai Men. The victim explained that she was on Walking Street when she met a man who agreed to act as her guide for the night. This man has been identified as Khun Sairee aged 33. The victim who could not be named at the time of the complaint explained that she was taken to a wooden house and raped by three men in quick succession. The Third man appeared to feel bad about the alleged rape and took her back to her Hotel following the assault. At Pattaya Police Station, Police Lieutenant Colonel Tanagrit took up the case and was given vague descriptions of the location of the alleged rape and her story appeared to change when she was asked about the case following the initial complaint. The timeline for the assault also changed during questioning which aroused some suspicion. These suspicions were confirmed following a press conference with Police Colonel Nopadon, the Superintendent of Pattaya Police Station on Monday Morning where he confirmed the victim had fled Pattaya without paying for her Hotel. Police are now locating Khun Sairee to find out his side of the story. The Colonel confirmed that if the case appeared to be fabricated he would issue an arrest warrant for the so-called victim, who is thought to have already left Thailand.

Pattaya City News

Monday 18th February 2008