Must-see Things In Chiang Mai

kenk3z

Planning for the next trip - I really liked Chiang Mai because I'm an outdoors person and its so much more comfortable than Bangkok.

Last trip, I saw:

Wat Soi Duthep

An Orchid / Butterfly farm (not my idea but certainly nice to see)

Wat Phra Singh

Wat Chiang Man

It was either Wat Phra Singh or Wat Chiang Man (this one I think) that has the undecayed body of a most holy monk on display in a glass case. Rather awesome to see.

And I saw the muddy Ping River. :o

And the night bazaar.

So what should I schedule on the next trip?

kenk3z

Sounds like you've done it pretty much! There isn't too much to do in Chiang Mai, it's really a handy place to go into the hills to see the tribes, or for trips to other countries. Try the girlie bars for entertainment and DON'T eat at any food stalls on the embankment! BTDTGTR.

Sounds like you've done it pretty much! There isn't too much to do in Chiang Mai, it's really a handy place to go into the hills to see the tribes, or for trips to other countries. Try the girlie bars for entertainment and DON'T eat at any food stalls on the embankment! BTDTGTR.

what is BTDTGTR?

If you're interested in other outdoor activities you might try the elephant treks/bamboo rafting that sets off near San Pa Tong/Mae Wang. If you're still interested in visiting wats, try Wat Umong located near Chiang Mai University. It's a forgotten place that still has some of the outer fortifications of the old city in place. Every Sunday Ratchadamnoen Road (Tha Phae Gate) becomes a walking street with hundreds of vendors, music and food carts.

If you want to see the countryside in a very different way, come Hash with us. We run every Saturday afternoon. The Chiang Mai Saturday Hash House Harriers provides transport to anyone wanting to join in and leaves the H3 Pub located on Mun Muang Rd., Soi 2, at 3:30 PM. Guys and gals invited.

another stupid answer :o

There is so much to do in Chiangmai you will never do it all.

here is just one website of a few hundred www.chiangmai.com

i do not think kenk3z wife will be going to girly bars!

As she / you are from BKK try going over the main river bridge heading east and turn left in the evening if you like more Western mix. Turn right to have more Thai.

Get a taxi out to the German Brewery. It is quite far and ARRANGE the driver to pick you up at midnight as it is a long walk!

Pick up any one of the many tourist magazines and do all the things in them.

Go to the museum on the superhighway. Lovely. Also Wat Jed Lot next to it.

Go beyong Wat Doi Suthep if you like nature.

day at the reservoir north of the city.

Mae Sa with the waterfalls if you can talk well to avoid paying the Westerner 200 baht:-((

Borsang / Sankampaeng for umbrellas and cloth.

Ban Ta Wai for wood carvings.

ok that is enough.

Just get out of the Princess Hotel a bit and there is so much to see and do....

Nice one Cutethaigirl.

Plenty to do in Chiang Mai and one of the best, if not the best, looking areas in Thailand. Do all the things the Thaigirl said and maybe venture out to Pai, northwest of Chiang Mai, in the mountains. Gorgeous scenery around there and some great little restaurants. Make sure you go to Tha Pai Spa Camping if you do go. It's an upmarket guesthouse on the river which is beautifully landscaped and is fed by the local hot springs. Several hot pools are scattered around the complex for the use of guests, while non-guests pay 50baht.

It should be noted that Pai is a weekend trip, not a quick day out. Several hours on twisty mountain roads.

If you do not have your own transport, it is well worth hiring a motorcycle or car to get around. Use a map from one of the Chiang Mai magazines.

The zoo was missed from the above lists. Well worth a visit, but much best to go with your own transport. Lots of ups & downs to get from one place to another.

Have a look at the pinned link "Days Out" at the top of this forum section: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8171

what is BTDTGTR?

Been There Done That Got The Runs :o

:D

Have you been to Kanchanaburi ? 2 and a bit hours from Bangkok by road. Great for the outdoors people like your-good self. :D

Have a look first, only a click away:- :o

http://www.pbase.com/win13/kanchanaburi

Nothing seen, nothing gained. :D

Kan Win (Win13) :wub:

Also

http://www.pbase.com/win13/chiang_mai

:D

I've been holidaying in Chiang mai for 10 years & still haven't done it all.

Yes you've scratched the surface Kenk3z, but if you like the outdoors loads still to do.

Go North Mae Taeng area & visit elephant camps, then bamboo raft down river.

Also white water rafting around there, & on the Mae Cham at Ob Luang.

Many, many waterfalls.Mae Sa being highly popular. But at Doi Inthanon, there's Vachiratan. Mae klang & Mae Ya ( think I've got the names right ).

Agree with one of previous posters, reservoir North of city is a good place to relax with a beer.

Mountain biking.

Trekking at Khuntan NP.

Really an hour any direction out of city, will take you to some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere.

Shopping.....not really for me, but some great places to pick local handicrafts up.

Endless list.

Enjoy. :o

As she / you are from BKK try going over the main river bridge heading east and turn left in the evening if you like more Western mix. Turn right to have more Thai.

Are you talking about the Nawarat bridge? Don't you mean head west? If not, what are we looking at here?

(You once said the new Panthip Plaza was 'east' of the Night Bazaar. I found it south on Changklan Road. Is the magnetic declination 90 degrees here? :o )

Are you talking about the Nawarat bridge? Don't you mean head west? If not, what are we looking at here?

EXACTLY as i wrote.

Looking for evening entertainment.

That big mountain, Doi Suthep is in the West for everyone;-)

i do not recall saying what you said about Panthip?

ct

(You once said the new Panthip Plaza was 'east' of the Night Bazaar. I found it south on Changklan Road. Is the magnetic declination 90 degrees here? :o )

If you cross Nawarat bridge from Thapae Road, (ie, travelling towards the East) Then turn to the left, (North). You will find the Goodview, Riverside, Brasserie and other riverside establishments, which offer reasonable food and often quite good live music.

Turn Right and you will find Gigi and other Thai style discoteques and nightclubs.

These are not, however, the only options for night time entertainment in Chiang Mai.

map_chiangmai.gif

Thanks, P1P, for the explanation. Wasn't exactly sure what bridge CTG was talking about. Don't do much night crawling, but do eat lunch at Riverside, and shop at Rimping. Didn't realize the Rimping area had Thai entertainment tho'. Guess I should get out more at night.

CTG,

Pantip Plaza have opened a branch which is filling up with stores . Located at the east end of the Night Bazaar on Chang Klan Road.

This is from your posting on Sept 6. I thought maybe they'd moved the Night Bazaar to the Mae Ping Hotel parking lot after I finally found the place south on Chang Klan Road. Very impressive, Panthip.

Now, you say there's great entertainment west of Doi Suthep? Or was that a new computer store? :o

Now, you say there's great entertainment west of Doi Suthep? Or was that a new computer store? :o

You need a first class invitation/introduction. It is amazing the entertainment to be found at Pu Ping Palace when the owners are home!

Failing the Golden invite. You need a helicopter or top rate four wheel drive to visit the back of Doi Pui. The hill tribes hold raves every weekend! Helps to go with a guide who has been to them before though.

The zoo was missed from the above lists. Well worth a visit, but much best to go with your own transport. Lots of ups & downs to get from one place to another.

Sure. As P1P said "with your own Transport". :wub:

:D:D:D

medium.jpg

Pandas @CM Zoo :D

Kan Win

:o

The hill tribes hold raves every weekend! Helps to go with a guide who has been to them before though.

I am not too sure about raves although one can get pretty soused on Mong Corn Pone, AKA lao khao poot. But what ever happened to that traditional Chiang Mai activity of visiting some remote Lahu village, and embracing Lady O and biting the clouds.

Not well known, but worth a trip on a rainy day is the bizarre-yet-fascinating "Chiangmai Insect Museum" near the Amari Rincome hotel (or is it near Wat Suan Dok? It's been a long time ...)

Run by the founder's widow (a very sweet woman) you will see amazing butterflies, cockroaches, 4000 species of mosquitos, daa d'daa d'daa ....

(They all dtaai-laeow, if ya know what I mean)

They sell tee-shirts, one with a large mosquito and the caption "Get to know them and you will understand" :D I bought three.

Bring the kids!

( I suggested this museum to a tourist couple one time and they rolled their eyes and walked away :o )

Couple of other things to do over the weekend. :D

I fancy the micro-lite thingy.. :D

anyway...

SPORT & HEALTH CLUB

HEALTH CLUB

Ban Sabai, 17/7 Charoenprathet Rd., Tel. 053 285204-6. Spa for health and well-being. Open daily.

Siam Spa, 2nd floor, Chiang Inn Plaza, Tel. 0 5328 3085-7 Ext 110.

Acupuncture Treatments in your home. Call Ajarn Herman mobile 01 821 2267.

Dr. Petchara Lohwitaya, Acupuncture treatments McCormick Hospital, Kaew Nawarat Rd. Tel. 0 5321 4311, 0 5324 1010.

Tai Chi Chaun, an intensive 10-day course (60 hours) three sessions daily: 7.00 to 9.30 am, 1.00 to 2.00 pm or 4.00 to 6.30 pm. Tel. Keith 0 5330 6012 ext. 201

Yoga Center, 65/1 Arak Road., Prasingh.

English information at Tel. 0 5327 7850, 0 5381 4206.

BOWLING

Bully Bowl, Kad Suan Kaew Complex, Huay Kaew Rd

Chiangmai Bowling, 205 Sriphoom Rd., Tel. 053 219207. Open 9.00 am.-2.00 pm.

UFO Bowling, Lamphun Rd., behind Mae Ping Police Station. Tel. 05380 1446-9.

JOGGING PARKS

Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden, Old Sameong Rd., Mae Sa, Tel. 0 5329 8171, 0 5329 9753.

Huay Kaew Arboretum, Huay Kaew Rd., near Zoo, 8.30-17.00 daily.

Huay Tueng Thao, Agriculture Development Center, Mae Rim Highway., km 8.

Roong Aroon Hot Springs, 23 kms. east of Sankampaeng. Tel. 0 5324 8475.

Sankampaeng Hot Springs (TAT), 23 kms. east of Sankampaeng. Tel. 0 5392 9077.

GOLF COURSES

Chiangmai Golf Driving Range, Airport Rd., Intersection Tel. 0 5328 2838,0 5328 3160.

Chiangmai Lamphun Golf Club, Tel. 0 5320 1606-7,0 53 88 0880.

Green Valley Golf & Country Club. Chiangmai -Mae Rim Rd., Tel. 0 53 29 8249.

Gymkhana Club, Lamphun Rd., Tel. 0 5324 1035.

Lanna Golf Course, Mae rim Rd., Tel. 0 5322 1911

Royal Chiangmai Golf, Mae Jo - Phrao Rd., Tel. 0 5384 9301.

Sankampaeng Golf Driving Range, Borsarng intersection, Tel. 0 5333 8309.

OTHER SPORTS

Lanna Sports Center, Chotana- Mae Rim Rd., Tel. 0 5322 1911, 0 5321 1556.

Horse back riding contact Travel Shoppe for more information at Tel. 0 5387 4091, 05387 4280.

Oriental Balloon Flight, 9 Moo 4, Floraville Housing Estate, km. 9, Chiangmai-Doi Saket Highway, Tel. 0 5339 8609. Fly daily.

View Chiangmai from the SKY! Discovery Adventure on pilot assisted 2-man microlight 20-min flight. Call 0 5386 8460, 0 5386 7646. 0 1952 5300. :D

Join Exciting off road mountain bike tours available in 1 to 7 day excursions Wild Planet Adventure tours Tel. 0 5327 7178. Charoenprathet Road

Cruise Along the Mae Ping River in a long tail boat. All day departures from Wat Chaimongkol, Charoenprathet Rd. Tel. 0 5327 4822.

Rock Climbing at The Peak Plaza on Changklan Rd. Tel. 0 5380 0567. Or contact them to climb challenging Doi Muang On.

Kayaks and row boats available for rent from the Rowing Club at Forestry Department office on Charoenprathet Rd.

Gymkhana Club, Lamphun Road., Tel. 0 5324 1035.

Physical Education College, 68/1 Sanam Gira Rd., Tel. 0 5321 3269, 0 5321 1446, 0 5321 7708.

Scheduled Thai boxing evening matches. Call Tel. 0 5320 7087

Kiat Busaba/Lanna Muay Thai, 64/1 Soi Chang Kian, Huay Kaew Rd., Tel. 05389 2101. Training seven days a week. 6.30 -9.30 am and 4-7 pm. All are welcome from novice to professional.

Bungy Jump, 299 Moo 1, T. Mae Ram, A. Mae Rim Chiangmai. Open Daily. Tel. 0 5329 8442, 0 1894 7698, 01 671 8624. :o

Ice Skating at Bully Ice in the Sky, Kad Suan Kaew Complex. 10 am-1 am.

Go Kart Track at the Chiangmai Speedway, 254 Moo 8, Chm-Hangdong Rd. , Tel. 0 5343 0059/60.

Microlighting. View Chiangmai from the SKY! Discovery Adventure in pilot assisted 2-man microlight 20-min flight. Call 0 5386 8460, 0 5386 7646. 0 1952 5300. :D

Off Road Mountain Biking. Join exciting tours from 1 to 7 day excursions Wild Planet Adventure tours Tel. 0 5381 844. 73/3 Charoenprathet Road

Oriental Balloon Flights, 9 Moo 4, Floraville Housing Estate, km. 9, Chiangmai-Doi Saket Rd, Tel. 0 5339 8609. Fly daily.

Mountain Design (Thailand) and Mountain Adventure Club (MAC). Full adventure trip, adventure training course and guiding club. Tel./Fax 053-800187 or Mobile 01-3665882, 09-5593934.

The Peak Rock Climbing Plaza. Scaling 3-storey rock face, Changklan Road. Tel. 0 5380 0567. Also, climb challenging Doi Muang On mountainside.

http://www.chiangmai-guideline.com/sport/index.htm

I had three of those paragliders (the one with the parachute and engine strapped on your back) fly in formation over my house a couple of evenings ago....Man, that looked like fun!

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things... :o

Thats the ticket :D but could you imagine landing in the "Bears Den"for a pint and asking where you can park your chute. :D

Would also be good for avoiding the traffic jams at rush hour and you would never get stopped by the "finest"looking for Tea Money.......hey you (khun krup) Come back here a minute hey yo.......... :o:D

I had three of those paragliders (the one with the parachute and engine strapped on your back) fly in formation over my house a couple of evenings ago....Man, that looked like fun!

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things... :o

Ajarn.

Don't know the limit, but I'm afraid either of us would be counted out...

Maybe we could join two or three of those chutes together??

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things...  :o

Ajarn.

Me thinks it'll take a better idea to not violate the Local Laws.

The Local Laws of Physics, that is :D

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things...  :o

Ajarn.

Am advised that we could get off the ground, possibly. However we have to look for a swimming pool to land.

What's the chance of taking your roof off??

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things...  :D

Ajarn.

:D Think it would be best to wait for the rainy season to end before removal... :o

Hmm..Wonder what the weight limit is on those things...  :D

Ajarn.

:D Think it would be best to wait for the rainy season to end before removal... :o

'F you ask me, seems to have finished already. Want to borrow a chain saw??