Stopovers In Dubai , Uae. Taking Medication ?

taxexile

please read the (long) list of banned medications at the end of the article.

even carrying actifed cold relief tablets could lead to a jail term.

Charity issues urgent warning to all travellers to UAE after Briton is imprisoned for 4 years

February 7 2008

Charity issues urgent warning to all travellers to United Arab Emirates after Briton imprisoned for 4 years for 0.003g cannabis caught in the tread of his shoe

Poppy seeds in food, common over-the-counter medications and traces of banned substances enough to attract 4 year prison sentence after clampdown

The legal charity which assists those facing trial abroad has issued an urgent warning to all travellers to or through Dubai and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) generally to ensure they are completely free of any substances prohibited by that country.

The warning comes after Fair Trials International learnt this week that one of its clients, 43-year-old Middlesex man Keith Andrew Brown, has been sentenced to 4 years' imprisonment after 0.003g of cannabis was found in the tread of his shoe by customs officials in Dubai during transit from Ethiopia to London last September. This amount would not be visible to the naked eye, and weighs less than a single grain of sugar.

"We have seen a steep increase in such cases over the last 18 months. Customs authorities are using highly sensitive new equipment to conduct extremely thorough searches on travellers and if they find any amount – no matter how minute – it will be enough to attract a mandatory 4 year prison sentence," said Fair Trials International Chief Executive Catherine Wolthuizen.

"Moreover, the list of banned substances in UAE includes many medications available over-the-counter in other countries, such as codeine – a common ingredient in pain relief and cold-and-flu medication, as well as poppy seeds – a common baking ingredient.

"What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person. We even have reports of the imprisonment of a Swiss man for 'possession' of 3 poppy seeds on his clothing after he ate a bread roll at Heathrow.

"With UAE becoming one of the most popular tourist and transit destinations in the world – in part due to extensive marketing of its beaches and shops – travellers need to know the risks they face if they are not completely clean of any banned substance or do not have a prescription for any medication they are carrying.

"For this reason, we have today published a comprehensive list of banned pharmaceuticals on our website and urge travellers to check any medication they may be carrying, and ensure their clothing is completely free of any banned substance before they fly," concluded Ms Wolthuizen.

For comment, contact Catherine Wolthuizen on 07846 472 923 or 020 7762 6400

For the list of banned pharmaceuticals, please click here

Some recent cases handled by Fair Trials International:

Keith Andrew Brown

43 years old from Middlesex. Arrested on 17 September 2007 at Dubai airport, enroute to London from Ethiopia. He and his wife were stopped and searched at the airport and nothing was found. Then the stub of a roll-up cigarette was seen on the sole of his shoe. He was charged with possession of 0.003g of cannabis and was this month sentenced to 4 years' imprisonment. He is waiting for an opportunity to seek clemency.

Robert Dalton, 25 from Kent

Robert travelled to Dubai on 13 November 2007 for a holiday after finishing his economics degree. He was stopped and searched at the airport and arrested after Customs officers alleged they found 0.03g of cannabis in his pockets. He is currently on trial and if convicted, will mostly likely receive a 4 year prison sentence.

20-year old man from West Yorkshire

Arrested at Dubai airport on 16 January 2008 while travelling back to the UK from Pakistan. Currently standing trial in Dubai after Customs officers alleged they found 0.02g cannabis in his pocket.

London man, in his 40s

Arrested on 7 May 2007 at Dubai airport on his honeymoon. Customs officials found 2g of cannabis in the pocket of a pair of shorts in his suitcase. He had forgotten it was there. He was sentenced to 4 years' imprisonment but was granted amnesty in Ramadan and released in October 2007.

33 year-old London man

Was arrested at Dubai airport on 14 May 2007 after travelling to UAE on business. Customs officials found 2g of cannabis in his pocket. He had forgotten it was there. He was sentenced to 4 years' imprisonment, but granted clemency and released in October 2007.

Tracy Wilkinson, 45 of West Sussex

Arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, a common pain relief medication, which she had been using to ease chronic back pain. She was held in custody for 8 weeks before officials accepted proof from her doctor of its use for prescribed medical purposes only.

Other reported cases

A Swiss national currently serving 4 years after 3 poppy seeds were found on his clothes by customs officials at Dubai airport. He had bought and eaten a bread roll at Heathrow before flying to UAE.

19 French nationals have been arrested in the past 18 months for possession of banned substances.

In June 2007, a 24 year-old Italian man was sentenced to 4 years' imprisonment after 0.01g of cannabis was found in his jacket pocket.

List of controlled pharmaceutical substances in UAE

February 07 2008 **STOP PRESS: Fair Trials International has located a second list of controlled substances .

Once you are at the site of the Ministry of Health of UAE, please click on the drop-down "Go to" menu in the top right-hand corner of the page and then on "Approved Drugs List"**

UAE has a very strict, zero-tolerance anti-drugs policy. If you can get by without medication, it is safest to leave it at home if you are travelling to or through UAE.

While many other countries also apply controls to the following drugs, UAE is unusual in conducting extremely thorough searches of many travellers through its airports, with highly sensitive equipment.

If you must take medication, make sure:

1. It is not on the banned 'Narcotics' list;

2. You have a prescription for it – even if you bought it over-the-counter.

Key

• UAE has identified a group of drugs with the potential to lead to addiction if not controlled. These are listed in Schedules to the Federal Law No 14 of 1995, and the medicines which come under this classification are divided into the following categories.

• How a drug will be treated, and the penalties for possession will depend on its classification.

• In certain cases, UAE will take a stricter view of a drug than other countries might do. In some cases, such as antidepressants, this is because the UAE authorities have deemed it to be an addiction risk and have classified the drug as a narcotic, where other countries might treat it as a psychotropic. In others, UAE will impose controls on a drug because of its purpose, as in the case of drugs which can be used to bring about an abortion.

Narcotics

• These are Controlled substances under Schedules 1-6 of the UAE Federal Law 14 of 1995.

• They may not be imported into UAE. Possession of these drugs, with or without a prescription, may lead to a prison sentence.

• In addition to the medications listed below, this category includes cannabis, cocaine and opiates, from heroin to poppy seeds (the kind used in everyday baking).

Controlled Drugs Class A - Psychotropics

• These are drugs for which a prescription must be held. The more verifying paperwork from the authorising doctor which can accompany any drug in this category, the better. In UAE, they can only be dispensed upon production of a registered (health authority-approved) prescription.

• They include some common sleeping tablets, painkillers, anti-depressants and hormone replacement therapy

Controlled Drugs Class B – Controlled medicines

• Possession of these drugs must be accompanied by a prescription. Many of these drugs are available over-the-counter in other countries and travellers to or through UAE should ensure they obtain a prescription before carrying any of these drugs to that country.

• They include many common cold and cough remedies

From the General Authority for Health Services Guide to the Management of Controlled Drugs in the Private Sector, March 2007

This is the most recent, comprehensive list of controlled pharmaceuticals we have been able to find. The UAE does not publicise this list on any of its diplomatic or ministerial websites. We have written to the UAE Ambassador and Customs Minister asking them to do so, so that travellers can be better prepared before flying to that country.

While every effort has been made to verify the contents of this list, where in doubt, we advise travellers to check their medication with the UAE consulate before travel.

Narcotic (Active ingredients)

Alfentanil

Amphetamine

Buprenorphone

Codeine

Fentanyl

Ketamine

Methadone

Methyphenidate

Morphine

Pentazocine

Pethidine

Remifentanil

Sufentanil

Controlled Drug Class A - Psychotropics (Active ingredients)

Acitretin

Alprazolam

Aripiprazole

Bromazepam

Buprenorphine 200 (microgram tablets and 500 microgram injection)

Butorphanol

Chlopromazine

Chlordiazepoxide

Clobazam

Clonazepam

Clorazepate

Diazepam

Dihydrocodeine

Droperidol

Flumazenil

Flupentixol

Fluphenazine

Haloperidol

Isotretinoin

Lorazepam

Medazepam

Mephenoxalone

Midazolam

Misoprostol

Nalbuphine

Olanzapine

Phenobarbitone

Pimozide

Prazepam

Prochlorperazine

Propofol

Prostaglandin

Quetiapine

Risperidone

Sulpiride

Sultopride

Temazepam

Thiopentone

Tiapride

Tramadol

Trfluoperazine

Zaleplon

Ziprasidone

Zolpidem

Zuclopenhtixol

Controlled Drug Class B (Active ingredients)

Amitriptyline

Baclofen

Benzhexol

Biperiden

Buspirone

Carisoprodol

Citalopram

Clomipramine

Codeine

Cyclobenzaprine

Dextromethorphan

Diphenoxylate

Dotheipin

Duloxetine

Escitalopram

Estradiol

Ethinylestradiol

Etonogestrel

Fluoxetine

Flupenthixol

Fluvoxamine

Imapramine

Isotretonin

Lithium Carbonate

Maprotiline

Menotrophin

Meserolone

Methocarbomol

Mianserin

Milnacipran

Minaprine

Mirtazapine

Moclobemide

Naltrexone

Nandrolone

Nefazodone

Norethisterone

Norethisterone

Norgetrol

Noscapine

Octreotide

Oestradiol

Opipramol

Orphenadrine

Oseltamivir

Oxazepam

Paroxetine

Pholcodine

Pimecrolimus

Procyclidine

Propoxyphene (with paracetemol

Pyrisuccideanol

Reboxetine

Sertraline

Somatrophine

Testosterone

Ticlopidine

Tizanidine

Tretinoin

Trimipramine

Vecuronium

Venlafaxine

Appendix 2 Common UAE controlled drugs (Trade names)

The following list shows some of the TRADE names of those controlled items that are registered as medicines in the UAE

Narcotics

Ketalar

Physeptone

Ritalin

Sosegon

Subutex

Ultiva

Controlled Drugs Class A - Psychotropics

Abilify

Anexate

Arthrotec

Ativan

Barnetil

Buccastem

Clopixol

Cytotec

Deanxit

Dehydrobenzperidol

Demetrin

DHC continues

Dialag

Diapam

Diprivan

Dogmatil

Dormicum

Dorsilon

Frisium

Gardinal

Genprid

Haldol

Intraval

Largactil

Lexotanil

Limbitrol

Neotigason

Nobrium

Noctran

Nubain

Orap

Prolixin

Propess

Risperdal

Rivotril

Serenace

Seroquel

Sonata

Stadol

Stelazine

Stemetil

Stesolid

Stilnox

Tekam

Temgesic

Tiapridal

Tramal

Tramundin

Tranxene

Valium

Xanax

Zaldiar

Zeldox

Zyprexa

Controlled Drugs Class B

123 Cold

Actifed Compound

Actifed DM

Activelle

Adol Cold

Adol Compound

Adumbran

Akineton

Algaphan

Anafranil

Andriol

Artane

Athymil

Aurorix

Benxtrone

Bepro

Broncholar

Broncholar forte

Bronchophane

Buspar

Cancolite

Cantor

Cipralex

Cipram

Climen

Codaphen

Codaphen plus

Codilar

Codipront

Codis

Coldex-dD

Cymbalta

Deca durabolin

Decutan

Dextrocuf

Dextrolag

Diarsed

Diaxine

Dicton

Distalgesic

Edronax

Efexor

Elidel

Estracomb

Estrofem

Faverin

Femoston

Flexiban

Flozak

Fluanxol

Flumed DM adult

Fluneurin

Fluoxone

Fluran

Flutin

Fluxetyl

Genotropin

Insidon

Intard

Ixel

Kafosed

Kemadrin

Kliogest

Lagaflex

Linz

Lioresal

Lomotil

Ludiomil

Menogen

Muscadol

Myogesic

Noracod

Norcuron

Norditropin

Norflex

Norgesic

Nuvaing

Oxetine

Paracodol

Phensedyl

Primotestone

Progyluton

Prothiaden

Proviron

Prozac

Remeron

Revacod

Rhinotussel

Riaphan

Roaccutane

Robaxin

Robaxisal

Robitussin-CF

Romilar

Saizen

Salipax

Sandostatin

Saroten

Sedofan DM

Sedofan-P

Seroxat

Serzone

Sirdalud

Somadryl compound

St Joseph cough

Sterandryl

Stivane

Surmontil

Sustanon

Tamiflu

Ticlid

Tixylix

Tofranil

Trexan

Tripofed dm

Trisequens

Tryptizol

Tuscalman

Tussifin with codeine

Unified DM

Vesanoid

Virormone

Zoloft

Edited by taxexile
  • Like 1

Well, well--many, many thanks for the 'heads-up'--I have been flying Emirates Airlines for more than 10 years, with plenty of Airmiles accrued, and looks like I will never be flying again; I have passed through with prescription drugs, note legally obtained prescription-that is, and never realised what risks I was taking--even flew through there last year with my small daughter and no one else--I dread to think what could have happened--I'm astounded--my sympathies go to the poor unfortuantes who are the ones to whom we owe thanks for this wake up call--a bloody bread roll, what next?

Well, some coincidence but I have just seen, on BBC World, that some Rap artist, not sure what his name was, has just been given the standard 4 years for 2 gm. cannabis--got caught at airport after flying in to perform a gig at some Dubai nightclub end of 2007--bit more realistic than poppy seeds off a breadroll but still heavy going--or maybe justified--depends on one's opinion, obviously.

My question would be, is this only when you enter the country, or is changing planes and thus remaining in the transit areas, the same hazard?

I would guess that if you have medication in your checked luggage, and you're only transiting that there would be no danger.

Medication in your carry-on luggage should always be accompanied by prescriptions even in Europe, as far as I know. Why take the risk?

cheers

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

Thanks for posting Taxexile !

May I kindly but strongly suggest to all readers to inform the press of their own home countries about this monstrous risks and support them also with those links:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7234786.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7253514.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...nds/7235467.stm

http://www.fairtrials.net/index.php/news/a...stances_in_uae/

The more people/travellers are aware of these 'rules' and risks, the better.

LaoPo

So im in danger by having Xanax (couple of tabs) on me transiting through Doha ??????

What about the Diazapem I buy over the counter in Pattaya ??

No prescription required.

Chivas

Doha is in Qatar not the UAE.

You should always be careful with Diazepam, I suspect their are less strict countries out there that prohibit the import of Diazepam (especially without prescription/letter from Dr).

Off the top of my head I'm not 100% sure on the regulations in Qatar, good idea if you do some research prior to travel. Here would be a good starting point: http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1059131463992

So im in danger by having Xanax (couple of tabs) on me transiting through Doha ??????

What about the Diazapem I buy over the counter in Pattaya ??

No prescription required.

Chivas

Doha is in Qatar not the UAE.

You should always be careful with Diazepam, I suspect their are less strict countries out there that prohibit the import of Diazepam (especially without prescription/letter from Dr).

once in a while ClaytonSeymour gets it right. carrying Diazepam (or any tranquilizer) without prescription can cause big problems when entering the United States.

Tax Exile, why did you feel the need to go to all that trouble to post this topic again? Why not just ask a mod to move the previous discussion? It ought to have been in here from the start.

if you cant work it out for yourself clayton , then there is little hope for you.

but to answer your question ,

the previous topic was related to someone who was caught with cannabis grains on their shoes i think and i only made a comment on that thread , which by now has been forgotten and has disappeared deep into the old posts vault.

i'm sure there are a lot of forum members who transit through those countries on their journeys to and from thailand from europe , or who work in those countries.

if you look at the list of medications , you will see that there are a lot of very ordinary everyday medicines there , even hrt therapy and common cold remedies , on a long flight you might need to take some of that medication , it cant all go in the checked in luggage , and a lot of people buy their regular medication in thailand without a doctors prescription.

if , as the original post says , they are having a crackdown at the moment , then travellers , including those who stop there in transit , should be aware of it.

it only needs one officious customs officer having a bad day to take a dislike to your face or your shirt and pull you out of the line for a search , and the results could be terrible.

guys with forgotten joints in their pockets , like the dj , just didnt give enough thought to the journey they were taking and the country they were changing planes in , he must be kicking himself , but he he has only himself to blame.

travellers with hrt , antidepressants or distalgesic in their pockets , and there will be many , need to know about this.

the drug list at the bottom of the post should really be pinned at the top of the travel forum.

i'm sure grooverider will be all the happier for knowing he is in your thoughts.

TaxExile

A BIG THANK YOU for posting this in its own thread! I had not followed the other thread that Clayton Seymout mentioned so I would have NEVER picked this up! :o

And, I should know it as I usually fly with Emirates and ALWAYS carry medication with me - indeed I will fly with them next month. For my prefilled syringes I have a doctor's letter so that usually satisfies at Check in etc, but for other medication, I will make sure I put it in my checked luggage.

Thanks again TaxExile. :D

Edited by Andiamo

Shocking! I usually fly via Dubai with Etihad and have usually got a couple of xanax on me to help on the second leg.

I never knew that could get me four years. I'd probably get less for importing Cocaine into the UK.

Looks like I'll be leaving the meds and staying awake then. :o

As for the guy that got four years for poppy seeds, thats just crazy.

Most countries produce their own pharmacopoeia as well as other drug reference works. The UK also produces the British National Formulary (BNF) on a bi-annual basis; there is also the more commercial Monthly Index of Medical Specialities (MIMS) produced monthly. Please see: Index of pharmacopoeias

These list all available drugs in that particular country and detail their category - Controlled Drug, Prescription Only Medicine, Pharmacist Dispensed and General Sales List [These descriptions may vary from country to country as will the amount of 'control'] What is legal in one country may not be legal in another!

The onus is on the traveller to find out if their prescription medicine is legal in the country they are travelling to or transiting through.

On one of the UAE sites - UAE London site The opening page has on its front page a "Travellers with Medications" 'click-on' as the main item. Most countries offer travel advice to other countries and on the British governments site under UAE we see "The UAE prohibits certain UK medicines from entering the country. You will not be permitted to take these in, even with a prescription. Additionally, some over the counter medicines, such as Codeine, are illegal in the UAE without a doctor's prescription. In some cases you will be allowed to take these medicines in providing they are in their original packaging and, in addition to the prescription, you provide a note from your GP outlining what the medicine is required for and what quantity is required for the duration of your stay. You should contact UAE Representation in the UK to ascertain which category your medication comes into." Travel advice

From the OP - "Some recent cases handled by Fair Trials International", we see many cases involving cannabis - in how many countries is cannabis legal?

So if you are on a prescription drug, always check - if only to see if you can get a replacement in your destination country. I, or any Brit, can buy a medicine from a pharmacist legally that contains morphine but that does not make possession of it legal all over the world!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely stunning!

Imagine just a trace of poppy/THC in your shoe and jail for 4 years!

I will be extra careful now, because I often have a few Xanax/Codeine/Temgesic on me.

Better to leave them in LOS.

However if they caught everyone passing through Dubai the jails would be quickly full.

If it happened to me, I would do the time and then write a book (about it).

Still better forwarned. Thanks!

This is absolutely astonishing.

Surely the governments must be doing a lot more to protect its citizens from such outrageous and extreme charges. Poppy seeds and 0.2g of hash – anyone could unwittingly have that on their person, shoes etc without having anything to do whatsoever with drugs.

Also, I know the regulations vary heavily from country to country, but I’ve often through the UAE and middle east and often with a few of the seemingly very harmless drugs on the list. I never thought twice.

This regulation and its penalties is simply unreasonable and insane – Can it be that someone has the wrong end of some poohy stick ? I just cant believe that anyone with any sense of logic and level of education could possibly send someone to prison for 4 years for having something stuck to their shoe !

However – I only recently was made aware that I could get into trouble in the states if I want to carry (as I often do) a couple of my favorite Cigars with me on holiday…

Insanity is everywhere… This 0.02g and 3 poppy seeds stories take the biscuit though…

On the Sky News channel last night - this was one of the lead stories. It sems the main reason that Dubai is taking such a strong stance is two-fold. Firstly to appease world powers that they are doing something serious to help stamp out the drug trade. Secondly, Dubai borders Afghanistan, which is one of the main suppliers of opiate drugs to the rest of the world.

Peter

This is the online report of an article in my local paper, all I can tell you is that the full report describes a jail horror that easily compares to the more infamous "Bangkok Hilton" or Klong Prem. And for a couple of years now I've been avoiding transit through Dubai with my Codeine tablets for several years now (prescribed for back problem but similar tabs available over the counter in the West), after a similar report of a woman being detained despite having a copy of her prescription for the same tablets.

Note this guy was originally detained for having melantonin pills which many people use for combating Jet lag and I have seen on sale at the pharmacy in Singapore Airport....not a place known for its drug tolerance!!

Lots of good airlines out there without running this risk.

Dubai prison nightmare is over for Hampstead TV executive

[email protected]

06 March 2008

THE Hampstead TV executive facing years in a Dubai prison over drugs allegations was released yesterday.

Officials claimed to have found microscopic traces of hashish in the bag of Cat Le-Huy, 31 from Garnett Road.

But he has been freed from the Al Wathba prison where he has been held since January 26 without charge and was due to land in London today.

Campaign organiser and close friend Radha Stirling thanked the Ham&High, which first broke news of his detention on this website.

She said: "We have received an overwhelming amount of correspondence from colleagues and friends who are absolutely delighted at the positive news. We are very thankful for all of the support we have received from the worldwide press and particularly to the Ham&High for breaking the news in the first instance.

"The last few days have been somewhat of a rollercoaster ride for his family - it's a very emotional time for all.

Cat is very tired but excited to be returning to his normal life and thankful to the many people who have helped him throughout this ordeal."

Initially officials told Mr Le-Huy they were holding him for possession of legal melatonin pills in his luggage. They then claimed to have found 0.03g of hashish in his bag - less than a grain of sugar.

Anyone found in possession of drugs in Dubai is automatically jailed. However Mr Le-Huy, who is head of technology at Endemol, has had all charges against him dropped.

His girlfriend of five years Mildred Von Hildegard, 28, was flying to meet him yesterday from her American home.

She said: "I booked my flight before I knew he was being released.

"I was flying to London to sub-let his flat, sort out our things and foster the dog, but instead it looks like he'll be meeting me there. Now I just can't wait for that call from him saying he's home."

Virgin Atlantic boss Richard Branson has given Mr Le-Huy a free first class seat on one of his flights back to London today.

From the report I read this guy would have been happy to pedal back on a unicycle.

Sent a chill down my spine.

I lived and worked in Dubai for 2 years - 1997 - 1998.

Then have worked several months worth of projects in Abu Dhabi over the last few years.

As I have a chronic sinus problem, I always had my trusty actifed and sometimes codeine with me.

(I wonder why actifed and not also sudafed?)

Over counter - no prescription.

Thank you, guardian angel!!

Jangot.

No apologies for posting this update as it contains some important information not previously out there. It would seem that at least part of the increase in arrests in Dubai airport stem from a bonus system paid to those who "find" drugs on travelers, or microscopic traces of drugs. Similar to the contracting out of parking offenses to local councils in the UK when parking tickets issued went through the roof. You have a choice, vote with your feet and find another airline and transit stop.

A speck of dirt invisible to the human eye was all it took to land Cat Le Huy in a Dubai jail.

Officials at Dubai airport claimed they had found 0.03 grams of hashish in the Endemol television executive’s bag after he had travelled to the United Arab Emirates to visit a friend last month. They accused him of possession — which would have led to a mandatory four-year prison sentence had he been convicted. After he spent six weeks in Dubai’s jails protesting his innocence, prosecutors dropped the case this month.

Mr Le Huy, 31, a German citizen living in London, claims that Dubai officials are paid a “bounty” for arresting drug offenders, a practice confirmed independently to The Times by sources who did not wish to be named.

“People shouldn’t go to Dubai until the laws change,” Mr Le Huy said. “They are running a risk. Even if you’re innocent and know about the laws, if they suspect you of anything, you run the risk of incarceration.”

His experience is common, according to Fair Trials International, a legal charity, which says that drug-related arrests have increased rapidly since 2006, when the laws changed in Dubai so that trace amounts of banned substances picked up by airport detection equipment were deemed to indicate possession. “People are being subjected to very thorough searches,” said Saima Jirji, a solicitor at the charity. “Even seams in their clothing and the fluff in their pockets is being checked.”

Mr Le Huy claims that he was also approached by a detective asking whether he knew any drug-takers back in Britain and whether he could coerce them into coming to Dubai. He alleged that at least two other foreign inmates had been approached with similar requests. The UAE Embassy in London refused to comment.

At first he was accused of smuggling heroin after officials found pills in an unmarked container that turned out to be jet-lag medicine sold freely over the counter in Dubai and the US.

He was strip-searched. Officials claimed to have found a trace of hashish in his bag and detained him. He was asked to sign letters in Arabic, which he could not read. Only after being told that he would at once be deported if he signed did he do so, but he wrote “under duress” beneath each signature.

Instead of being deported he was put in solitary confinement. Because he was dehydrated and forbidden from drinking he was only able to produce a urine sample after eight hours.

Last year 59 British people were detained in Dubai over drugs offences, and so far this year the figure is nine, according to the Foreign Office. Keith Brown served nine months after customs officers found a 0.003 gram trace of cannabis stuck to his shoe. This month the BBC Radio 1 DJ Grooverider, whose real name is Raymond Bingham, started a four-year sentence for possessing 2.16 grams of cannabis.

Fair Trials said the list of prohibited substances included everything from antidepressants to a cough medicine for children. Even those in Dubai on transit to another destination can be arrested under the regulations.

Mr Le Huy denies that there were ever any drugs on his person. “Hashish isn’t something available in my social circle — the idea it was in my bag is absolutely ludicrous,” he says.

He was pressed by the authorities to plead guilty, but his refusal left him in a legal limbo. After a persistent campaign by his friends in Britain and after negotiations with his lawyer in the UAE, the Dubai authorities agreed to drop the investigation.

He had initially spent two weeks at the airport jail, where he couldn’t shower because of the condition of the bathrooms. To compensate, he “discovered the magic of Dettol”, using the disinfectant to shower.

At Dubai Central Jail he suffered even worse conditions. Inmates slept eight to a cell. Because of the poor food he lost 15 kilograms in weight (more than two stone). “Every day was a bad day when you wake up and realise, ‘I’m still here.’ ” When he was finally released, he was taken to a police station to pick up his passport, only for detectives to put him in a bloodstained cell for another four hours.

During the six weeks he had found solace in the company of other English-speaking inmates such as Grooverider. Mr Le Huy said that foreign inmates were treated with “distant contempt” by guards, who “played mind games” with them. “They’d ask us to go out in the courtyard at 1am, then take four hours to search all our cells. There was a lad from London who had a bronchial infection. They made him wait in the rain for four hours even after we asked the guards if he could stand in the corridor.”

“The laws and punishments of a nation are theirs to set,” he emphasised, adding: “My point is that you will be detained for a minimum of 21 days if they suspect you of anything, whether or not you’re innocent.”

• 5 weeks later...

I just finished reading an article about a chap who spent 4 months in jail in Dubai.

He told that Customs staff get paid Dirham 40.000 Premium (almost Euro 7,000 0r $US 11,000) if they find even the slightest trace of soft drugs or 'listed' medicines; I don't know if that's true but it's a scary thought.

The good :o thing is that Dubai changed it's laws (whilst he was in jail) and people, arrested for 'possession' of (even tiny traces) drugs or listed medicines do not have to spend 4 years in jail but will be automatically released after 4 to 6 weeks in jail....

What a relieve... :D

He mentioned he encountered many other Farang guys in jail, working with dredging and construction companies in Dubai and UAE, but also tourists who were also in jail because of absolutely minor traces of drugs or forgot to remove -forbidden- medicines from their luggage.

:D

LaoPo

• 1 month later...