Stopovers In Dubai , Uae. Taking Medication ?

taxexile

Pretty scary stuff.

Especially as the last time I flew thru Dubai, I went for a beer and asked for a glass of water in order to take some codeine tablets, for a headache.

I opened the foil tabs in front of the barstaff and popped them in the glass and one of them asked me what it was, before I drank it, so I told him (not knowing the situation).

i also asked hin if he could pop the foil wrapping in the bin for me, which he did.

Good job I tipped him, I guess.

• 1 month later...

Dubai expats face legal limbo

By Ben Thompson

Business reporter, BBC World, Dubai

Dubai is the expat dream. Year-round sunshine, sandy beaches and a tax-free lifestyle to boot.

Every year, thousands of people come here to seek adventure, to start a new life or to find a new job.

For some of them, the dream destination quickly turns into a nightmare as they inadvertently find themselves on the wrong side of the law, which has been laid down by the ruling Maktoum family of Dubai and is based on Sharia.

Drug offences

In the rush to start a new life in the sun, many - especially expats from Western countries - overlook the local laws that could land them a heavy fine, or worse; a deportation order.

In some cases, breaking those laws can even lead to lengthy prison sentences.

This fact has become widespread knowledge around the world after British expat Michelle Palmer was charged with indecent behaviour in a public place, as well as alcohol related charges, following an alleged affair with fellow Brit, Vince Acors. She has yet to be sentenced.

Dubai’s hardline stance on drugs has also generated its fair share of international headlines in recent years, including high profile cases of visitors jailed for carrying prescription medicines.

Illegal drugs that would carry little more than a warning in the West can lead to prison sentences of up to six years. In the last 12 months, 64 British nationals have been arrested in the UAE for drugs offences.

Tolerated behaviour

And yet, many Western expats here choose to compare Dubai with its neighbours, where laws are often perceived as stricter.

Dubai knows that without the influx of expats, it would not have transformed itself from a sleepy fishing village just 30 years ago, into the global financial and tourist powerhouse it is today.

Expats now make up more than 80% of Dubai's population, so in the past the authorities have often deliberately tolerated much of their behaviour - in some cases even when such behaviour is in breach of Dubai's laws.

It is common for expats to be let off with a warning for some offences. For instance, it is not uncommon for a policeman to take a drunk driver home, instead of locking him up.

Not clear

But for expats and visitors from Western countries who are not used to visiting Islamic countries, it is still worth remembering that much of what is acceptable at home could well be a punishable offence in Dubai, and that some of those offences carry heavy penalities.

Being drunk in public, swearing or making rude gestures – especially whilst driving - and public shows of affection - such as kissing, are all offences. It is illegal to live with someone of the opposite sex for those not married, and homosexuality is a crime here.

Obviously, much of this still goes on. And in many ways the authorities choose to ignore such behaviour a lot of the time. However, clamping down on what it deems the most offensive breaches of the law only serves to create a sort of legal limbo where nobody is clear about exactly what is and what is not acceptable.

Companies that recruit expats from overseas are calling for more information from the authorities.

"There's just not enough advice for new expats coming here," says recruitment manager Simon Rogers-Bedelle, "so people rely on blogs, online forums, word of mouth and the Dubai urban myths that you get told by the taxi drivers when you arrive."

Indeed, in cases where illegal behaviour does end up in court it is not a useful defence to plead ignorance, observes local lawyer Obaid Busit.

"Saying you don't know about the law is not an excuse," he says. "The law will not accept it. If you've been acting inappropriately in a common place or a public place, whether you're in Hyde Park or on Jumeirah Beach, I think you will face the same consequences."

Mutual understanding

Indeed, sometimes what is illegal in Dubai is also illegal in many Western countries, though the enforcement and penalties can be much more severe here.

So to prevent new recruits falling foul of the law, more and more firms here are sending their staff on "cultural awareness courses" - or lectures given by Emiratis – explaining local customs and cultures.

They are increasingly popular as firms look to avoid the negative publicity of having their staff caught up in lengthy and, at best, potentially embarassing court-case.

But according to one of the trainers, Dr Alromaithy, the courses are not about providing a list of what is right and wrong.

Rather, they are about understanding more about the country and culture they are working in.

"Business people go along [wanting] easy answers and they just come and they say 'tell me, the dos and don'ts'," says Dr Alromaithy.

"But all these dos and don'ts are based on looking at the external perceptions of culture.

"You can't tell the expat 'you can't do this, you can't do that'," he reasons.

"It's about understanding each other."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7528414.stm

Woman arrested for 'sex on beach' :o

A British businesswoman is facing up to six years in a Dubai jail after she was allegedly caught having sex on a beach.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7498357.stm

LaoPo

• 1 month later...

I have lived in Dubai for 9 years, Actifed is widely available over the counter btw :o

There are always lots of stories about people having "just" a bit of weed. Fact is, risky place to have weed, harsh penalties for it so I dont dabble over here. Make sure you clear your pockets and bags out when traveling, people coming from ropey countries are most likely to be stopped, this country works on a network of grasses and informants so sometimes you here about minor offences but there is sometimes a 'back story' of why they were stopped, it's likely people coming in and out from countries in Africa, for instance, are more likely to be kept an eye on. Despite flying in and out of Asia plenty of times during my stay here I dont think I have ever been stopped, let alone searched.

Not sure about that poppy seed guy :D the standard term for weed is 4 years, even for a puff. Have often have amnesties for minor offences but they still like to convict to show how serious they are then pardon them. Alot of those 'bit of weed on their shoe' stories they convict and when family back in the West contact press, embassies things usually get straightened out and they're pardoned at the next EID.

Naomi Campbell was here at the Burj al Arab having a party and a 'friend' brought some drugs in, stopped and arrested and then quickly pardoned by the Sheikh ... we dont want to be sending out signs to the rich and famous now about not being able to come to Dubai and party !! :D Soon after some DJ was doing a gig and brought some pills, was stopped, nicked and no amnesty (yet, anyway) ... that's the way it is here.

OP is a bit sensenationalist, nothing to be scared of, not sure what the rules are on alot of prescription drugs tbh, with or without presciptions, best to check, chances of being searched are extremely unlikely though, especially if it's in your actual baggage that you check in.

Being drunk in public, swearing or making rude gestures – especially whilst driving - and public shows of affection - such as kissing, are all offences. It is illegal to live with someone of the opposite sex for those not married, and homosexuality is a crime here.

Again, mostly rubbish or a case of 'scratch the surface' .... the police are largely not bothered by drinking and things, being drunk in public isnt a big deal but making a big scene in public whilst drunk is likely to alert them and then you'll get the 'drunk in public' charge. We have plenty of bars/clubs here and close at 3am, later than Bangkok these days, sadly :o you're drunk, walk home or more likely a cab home and no one cares, singing out loud, hassling people, etc and then you'll get in trouble on the minor charge ... people will note the minor charge and not the background to it.

Similarly with the "living together and not married" rule ... pretty much everyone does that, they know with the amount of westerners and expats living here and also the tourists it's ridiculous to enforce that law. I have my girlfriend staying with me all the time, the agents of the building know this, no one cares. People always think that you can "tell the police on someone" if they are living with a girl but in reality the police dont care. A Russian friend of mine had an altercation with someone, the person threatened him with this .. told him to go ahead ... police came and basically couldnt care less. The exception, once again, is the 'doing something else and they get you on this" thing. If you had a hooker at your place and there is some altercation, someone called the police then maybe they'd bring you in on the 'living in sin' offence.

More often than not, depending on seriousness, if someone makes a complaint they'll bring you in and you call someone that knows you and they get you, tell you off and you're out. Had a guy worked for a previous company of mine drunk at home in his villa, fell asleep, caused some disturbance cause he thought someone was downstairs, shouting, someone phoned police .. they pulled him in ... he called me, i went to station, police say "no one is there, your friend is drunk ... " basically suggesting that everyone go home, if he wants to claim this someone in his house then they will test him for booze and he'll be in trouble ... basically ... shut up and go home, just pick you up for the initial 'scene' you created.

Kissing in public not a massive deal, again, making a scene, kissing your girlfriend goodbye as she goes to work, not a problem. Holding hands, no problem, never found a big need for massive displays of affection though to be honest.

Loads of gay action here, all behind the scenes but yeah, trouble if you're caught. Not a big fan of the swearing here. Lots of stories of "my MATE's mate made a rude gesture and the police made him get on his knees and apologise" ... rubbish but it's frowned upon, can yourself in trouble for finger gestures, etc especially to our over-sensitive Arab friends, Indians, etc .. no problem, go ahead, they'll believe you anyway :D

The British woman on the beach was being an idiot. Was at an all day brunch, booze flying, works for a local company here (publishing). The guy was on holiday, at the same place, no 'affair' about it, just being a bit slutty. For some reason they ended up on the open beach rolling around with no top on and her on top of him. Someone tipped off the police (as is the way !!) and the police warned them to stop. He came back 5 or 10 minutes later and they were still at it, warned them again and the woman got all aggressive and in his face a bit (never a good idea and how very ladylike of her :o) .. then he took them in.

People pretty much agreeing that this one is on the woman here and not the police for a change. Anytime the old bill give you a warning you should take it, she didnt and what's more get aggressive when warned again. Idiotic.

Few days after the guy released an 'apology' in one of the newspapers for his behaviour, the whole city was obviously talking :D appalling, bum licking letter as you tend to get over here in these cases, after the guy was pulled from the anus of Dubai there was talk that they were going to get married :D still onrunning now, not sure what the latest is, read an interview recently, woman has been fired, going on about her life being ruined.

All very amusing :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here I was thinking about a RTW air ticket and wanted a stop in Dubai for a night or two just to have a look at the place. Thanks for starting this thread.

How the <deleted> did they detect a trace of cannabis smaller than a grain sugar? How can this possibly be considered possession? Sheesh!

• 2 weeks later...

It's usually a 'tip-off' (i.e. lots of 'informants' here). If you're arriving from someone considered a bit dodgy they may check more throughly, never heard anyone get hassle from arriving from Thailand, maybe Africa, depends how many Thai stamps you have too. I always find it very suspect when tiny grains are detected, there is usually more to it but you often don't find out the truth.

I wouldnt be too worried though, perfectly safe place to stop off, they're not rifling through everyone's bags or anything like that, as I said, I never get searched when i arrive back and don't know anyone else who does either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
*sigh*

Correct !

Dont go transit over any of this UAE, dbious countries !

I went, you forced to walk through their duty free shopes for 2 hrs,

after you have security control again,

on my row, the officer asked every one to take off the shoes,

on other 2 rows, they could keep, if no sound peeped up !

I asked the officer, why I should take off the shoes,

I don't go in a mosque !

He start to sout, that I should not play with his religion,

I asked him, why than I take off shoes, and other not?

he answered by rule !

Than I loud asked to other row officer -

as already everyone were looking to us _

the officer from the other row answered, there is no rule,

that you must take off general your shoes !!

Than I were forced by other tourists to be quiet ,

and later even in the airplain I had an questioneng by leafding stewart !

MY conclution !!

Never evr I will go any more in transit flights over this UAE

airports !!

IOts also very unconvinient, at midnight for 2 hrs to walk around duty frees,

you must go out of your airplane!

Nowbody in your plain can - or want to tell you why !!

I cannot wait until they work out that cocaine tests are so sensitive that

most western bank notes show positive.

I wonder why in 10 years of flying, I have never set foot in dubai despite my experience of emirates between bkk and hong kong is that they provide an excellent service.

Its a shame really

shhhh they might be watching! ive got a flight booked with a stopover there later this year and not only am i going to buy and wear new clothes just for this stopover, so i dont have any cannabis on me!

You have also put me off having any western notes on me now!

Im not going to read this thread again!

Easiest solution. Do not transit through Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

If you think they are harsh in Dubai or Abu Dhabi, wait until you go to one of the other 5 emirates, where they are really 'out there', makes Dubai & Abu Dhabi look tame.

Pretty scary stuff.

Especially as the last time I flew thru Dubai, I went for a beer and asked for a glass of water in order to take some codeine tablets, for a headache.

I opened the foil tabs in front of the barstaff and popped them in the glass and one of them asked me what it was, before I drank it, so I told him (not knowing the situation).

i also asked hin if he could pop the foil wrapping in the bin for me, which he did.

Good job I tipped him, I guess.

:o:D Thats a funny post.....taking codeine with beer to help a headache :D:D

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't feel confident bringing loperamide into the UAE after reading this.

Factually speaking loperamide is a powerful opiate drug. We all know it better as 'immodium.'

Well I have never been able to stop ... with immodium. I buy from Thailand Noxy and it basically stops toilet trips...

Is that illegal as well? what about dalmadorm or dormane..allowed or not??

• 2 weeks later...

Aussie jailed for flipping the bird at driver in Dubai

By Michelle Cazzulino

May 01, 2009 07:57am

IT was a gesture many Australians have been guilty of making at the end of a long, frustrating day.

But "flipping the bird" to another driver landed Australian nurse Darren O'Mullane 24 days in jail and a life ban from the United Arab Emirates.

Mr O'Mullane was deported from Dubai last Thursday after being convicted of making a rude gesture to another motorist, who happened to be a UAE official, last October.

Cont http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...733-953,00.html

• 2 weeks later...
Easiest solution. Do not transit through Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

Yes do not give the Arab scum any money fly with a non Arab airline. :)

Yes, the solution is very easy...

But I still don't get why they harass people in transit?

I mean, if you want to enter the country, you must follow local law, but if you do not like to visit a desert with camels friendly than people why annoy the transit travellers...

• 4 weeks later...
Aussie jailed for flipping the bird at driver in Dubai

By Michelle Cazzulino

May 01, 2009 07:57am

IT was a gesture many Australians have been guilty of making at the end of a long, frustrating day.

But "flipping the bird" to another driver landed Australian nurse Darren O'Mullane 24 days in jail and a life ban from the United Arab Emirates.

Mr O'Mullane was deported from Dubai last Thursday after being convicted of making a rude gesture to another motorist, who happened to be a UAE official, last October.

Cont http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...733-953,00.html

Sadly typical of the way things are out here in Dubai. What's even more pathetic than the snide Locals complaining about things like this on one hand and going whoring on the other is the ridiculous expats we have here that won't even allow a bad word to be said about this place, they jump to it's defence whenever anyone says anything negative.

Also had a couple jailed for a couple of months for adultery just a month or so back. What's worse, British couple, the husband made a complaint to the police about the adultery and the police nicked the wife and jailed her and the 'boyfriend'. What a loser!

Note this guy was originally detained for having melantonin pills which many people use for combating Jet lag and I have seen on sale at the pharmacy in Singapore Airport....not a place known for its drug tolerance!!

I once bought a tub of melantonin pills from a sports supplements shop in Abu Dhabi itself :)

• 10 months later...

Tracy Wilkinson, 45 of West Sussex

Arrested at Dubai airport in 2005 for possession of codeine, a common pain relief medication, which she had been using to ease chronic back pain. She was held in custody for 8 weeks before officials accepted proof from her doctor of its use for prescribed medical purposes only.

• 3 weeks later...
On the Sky News channel last night - this was one of the lead stories. It sems the main reason that Dubai is taking such a strong stance is two-fold. Firstly to appease world powers that they are doing something serious to help stamp out the drug trade. Secondly, Dubai borders Afghanistan, which is one of the main suppliers of opiate drugs to the rest of the world.

Peter

i understand 'the war on drugs' . we are talkin weed here. just all other countries 'chippin away at the iceburg above the surface'. but whats 'below' is ALOT bigger cocaine, heroine, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person.

yes, drug laws in U.A.E. are crazy

but at least these are LAWS.. and, I guess, if actually you did nothing serious, they'll most like release you (even while being jailed and maybe sentenced then pardoned is not funny at all) after showing how serious they are, as someone noted above

back in Russia, where I had not so big luck to have been born and to live almost 28 out of my 30 years

by the law, since 2005 technically it's just a misdemeanor to have less than 2 grams of hash, for example (the fine is around us$ 35 or us$70, if i rememeber right)

but... last year a friend of mine was caught with some 1,5 grams

do you know what the police said.. they said "ok, if it's not enough we'll ADD some, and then you'll face a prison sentence" (suspended most likely, as she has no criminal record, but still not a good idea to have one, and also to be sure to have suspended one most likely she would have to pay some money to judges, etc... corruption there is rampant, yes)

she ended up paying to the police around us$2k bribe (after bargaining down from $4k)... very "fair", right?

and on the customs... do not remember if any amount qualifies for "illegal drugs smuggling" or no

but I had my baggage checked TWICE on the customs (once in SVO, once in DME last November) when I was flying in from India (out of just 4 India to Moscow flights I had)

and I didn't look like a hippie at all, also sure no one would "tip off" about me also, because I even never tried and not going to carry anything illegal across the border (Russian one especially)

by the way, does someone know - are there many precedents of transit passengers in U.A.E. busted because of the controlled medicines in their CHECK-IN baggage?

as I guess, normally they should just reload the baggage from one plane to another, why bother checking if the baggage has no chance to enter U.A.E. territory?

thinking as such, last November I have bought in Bangalore some Melatonin and Fluoxetine, then I've flown Etihad flight TRV-AUH-DME to work there for 3 weeks, then another flight DME-AUH-BKK

was it still a real risk in AUH (and would be it more risky if via DXB)? I carried these medicines from Moscow because couldn't buy those in Thailand, and from India simply as they're many times cheaper than patented versions of the same medicines in Moscow... paid Rs.770 ($15.5) for 12 packs of each, instead of $100-150 if in Moscow

and the customs officer who stopped me in DME was quite interested why I have so many pills... but after I explained why and that they're available in Moscow over-the-counter, he had lost any interest

Edited by tryptamine

Avoid the UAE

sole survivor .

at UAE , throw your old shoes into the bin .

and have new sandals , in your hand luggage .

ridiculous. but better than 4 years in jail ..