Stopovers In Dubai , Uae. Taking Medication ?

taxexile

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

On the Sky News channel last night - this was one of the lead stories. It sems the main reason that Dubai is taking such a strong stance is two-fold. Firstly to appease world powers that they are doing something serious to help stamp out the drug trade. Secondly, Dubai borders Afghanistan, which is one of the main suppliers of opiate drugs to the rest of the world.

Peter

Aplogies Peter, Iran is in between Afghanistan and Dubai and the Persian Gulf between Iran and Dubai.

What many travellers may not realise is that they can be deemed to be in possession of such banned substances if they can be detected in their urine or bloodstream, or even in tiny, trace amounts on their person.

That is true but of course people aren't just randomly checked for such substances. You'd have to be doing something odd to get pulled up or, as I said earlier, someone grasses you up cause they don't like you/business disagreement, etc - that's generally the way it works.

I have been here 11 years and never really had any problems at all but yes being drunk could lead to problems if you start fighting or arguing for instance and they call the police, general rule is if you're been drinking then everything is your fault

Is it only in Dubai in UAE or also other arab countries?

I just transited thru Qatar Doha and nobody checked anything except the usual security check getting into transit terminal.

It's the whole Middle East/Gulf Region.

I do wonder how these people get checked as I or no one I know have never been checked here but it does happen so just be careful. A friend of mine brought some poker chips and they were confiscated before but I have no idea how they catch people with mediciation, pretty rough to be caught for stuff like that as most of the time they don't seem bothered when you're going into the country

• 5 weeks later...

I am myself a skywards gold member, flying frequently with emirates airline.

Always good and friendly service, if travelling with children absolutely great, special bag with gifts, special toys to play in the airplane, very well made children’s menu.

Besides that business lounge is to crowded i never had any bad experience.

Still I have to say that any jail time for 1 poppy seed is absolutely crazy,

and doesn’t help them as global airline and main transit airport.

• 4 months later...

Shocking! I usually fly via Dubai with Etihad and have usually got a couple of xanax on me to help on the second leg.

I never knew that could get me four years. I'd probably get less for importing Cocaine into the UK.

Looks like I'll be leaving the meds and staying awake then. :o

As for the guy that got four years for poppy seeds, thats just crazy.>note:the supplement "melatonin"also not allowed

• 2 weeks later...
Aussie jailed for flipping the bird at driver in Dubai

By Michelle Cazzulino

May 01, 2009 07:57am

IT was a gesture many Australians have been guilty of making at the end of a long, frustrating day.

But "flipping the bird" to another driver landed Australian nurse Darren O'Mullane 24 days in jail and a life ban from the United Arab Emirates.

Mr O'Mullane was deported from Dubai last Thursday after being convicted of making a rude gesture to another motorist, who happened to be a UAE official, last October.

Cont http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0...733-953,00.html

Sadly typical of the way things are out here in Dubai. What's even more pathetic than the snide Locals complaining about things like this on one hand and going whoring on the other is the ridiculous expats we have here that won't even allow a bad word to be said about this place, they jump to it's defence whenever anyone says anything negative.

Also had a couple jailed for a couple of months for adultery just a month or so back. What's worse, British couple, the husband made a complaint to the police about the adultery and the police nicked the wife and jailed her and the 'boyfriend'. What a loser!

Interesting article especially the bit about "We'd had a local Emirate man suffering alcohol withdrawal who was aggressive and violent and a schizophrenic woman who was in quite a bad state when she arrived," he said."

You should see them all waiting outside the booze shops in their cars with darkened windows buying their booze everyday. Go drinking mincing with fa***ts.

You are right about the expats who defend them they are worse.

The entire place should be left to other arabs with western nationalities or the sub continents!

Or do end up dead like this poor Brit

A British tourist allegedly beaten to death by prison guards in a Dubai jail was invited to the Arab state by a mystery woman, it was claimed last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377480/Briton-beaten-death-Dubai-jail-invited-mystery-woman.html

Edited by maprao

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The police using force, etc is not new allegations. The body of the dead tourist (who does sound like an arse but being an arse shouldn't result in death) has been returned to the UK but things have been quiet on the cause of death. Stories seem to be they are as a result of swallowing or choking on blood, which seems to get them 'off the hook' but it seems like the choking on blood was related to being beaten.

A Pakistan guy also been killed in prison here with a handful of police answering questions. Due to relatively low importance of Pakistanis compared to the UK I doubt it will be widely reported.

Basically if you have been drinking and anything happens it's your faulty by default. The police also feel they can dish out some punches especially if you've been drinking or are being loud when pulled over. Some friends of friends were put inside over night for being a bit drunk, bit of backchat and they were giving some punches by a few officers, released in the morning.

I know of guys put inside, no lawyer, kept for 5 or 6 weeks and then deported. Wounds from beating stitched up in jail ... totally backwards but it does happen, the no access to lawyer thing seems to happen all the time but if you're loud or (heaven forbird) don't want to go to jail they seem to take delight in dishing out a few digs "we had to restrain him" it's like 70s era cops duffing up witnesses.

Sadly, this is still the most liberal part of the Middle East!

• 6 months later...

Its an interesting report and I for one have been aware of these "regulations" for some time but there seems to be a total lack of legal defence in the cases quoted......

Jesus any half decent barrister would destroy any prosecutor claiming an individual is in possession for having a poppy seed in a shirt or a sugar grain sized lump of cannabis on his shoe ??

Its ludicrous at best.....

• 2 weeks later...

So the best is to avoid the U.A.E. and boycott the Emirates Airline. If they are loosing a lot of customers and visitors, these ignorants may change the policy. Thanks for the information, next time I will NOT fly with Emirates.

No need to boycott anyone......

Any doubt than just pack your meds in checked luggage....Its not difficult.....People do not get jailed for four years for having legal prescription medications prescribed by your own GP no matter what some believe on this thread.

Edited by Chivas

• 2 weeks later...

So the best is to avoid the U.A.E. and boycott the Emirates Airline. If they are loosing a lot of customers and visitors, these ignorants may change the policy. Thanks for the information, next time I will NOT fly with Emirates.

Any doubt than just pack your meds in checked luggage....Its not difficult.....People do not get jailed for four years for having legal prescription medications prescribed by your own GP no matter what some believe on this thread.

Yes they do !!!... read the stories again.

Can you ensure you have never inadvertently stepped on a joint and accidentally carried it stuck to the bottom of your shoe ?

Ever had a bun with poppy seeds? did some of these seeds ever fall off onto your jumper ?

Ever travelled with prescription meds but forgot the prescription. A woman was stuck in jail for 4 months before they accepted the prescription her doctor faxed through.

Although I've never had and issue and do not know anyone who has had an issue, I now I have to get extra doctors letters if I'm to travel through the emirates with anything more than paracetamol.

Their regulations and harsh enforcement of minor misunderstandings and otherwise easily explainable and dispensable issues are handled in such a Machiavellian manner the only decent response would be to boycott their airlines - However, I fly Etihad because the prices are so good, I'm just extremely careful when I do.

Reminiscent of a Sinefeld espisode. I often fly through the UAE. What I find utterly ironic is that many of the middle easterners, mostly Iranians, who get caught in BKK with KILOS of crystal meth tranisted through the UAE. I guess the high tech detection system only works for dope the size of a grain of sugar. Retarded!

I generally found the UAE customs and Etihad Air workers to be arrogant and smug. Really, what do they have to be proud of? I can t think of anything. Oil? (UAE doesnt have any!) Camels? Sand? I don t get it. But Ill still take Etihad! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Can you ensure you have never inadvertently stepped on a joint and accidentally carried it stuck to the bottom of your shoe ?

Ever had a bun with poppy seeds? did some of these seeds ever fall off onto your jumper ?

Ever travelled with prescription meds but forgot the prescription. A woman was stuck in jail for 4 months before they accepted the prescription her doctor faxed through.

Although I've never had and issue and do not know anyone who has had an issue, I now I have to get extra doctors letters if I'm to travel through the emirates with anything more than paracetamol.

Their regulations and harsh enforcement of minor misunderstandings and otherwise easily explainable and dispensable issues are handled in such a Machiavellian manner the only decent response would be to boycott their airlines - However, I fly Etihad because the prices are so good, I'm just extremely careful when I do.

I dont want to be pendantic but you're being ludicrous ??

Sure poppy seed(s) may come off a burger bun and stick to your shirt but you DO NOT get banged up for four years for it !!

As I said before any decent barrister would wipe the feet of a prosecutor and before you'll retort that individuals dont get legal representation than I have to dispue that also.......

If Brits (for example) were being banged up week after week with no legal recourse it would be front page news and quite simply it isn't

I walk through the Emirates with Tramadol and Codeine products in their original prescribed boxes without any fear whatsoever.....

Its only "perhaps" those that have loose "Benzos" in their bags (as an example) who could find themselves in difficulty if not prescribed.

I dont want to be pendantic but you're being ludicrous ??

Sure poppy seed(s) may come off a burger bun and stick to your shirt but you DO NOT get banged up for four years for it !!

As I said before any decent barrister would wipe the feet of a prosecutor and before you'll retort that individuals dont get legal representation than I have to dispue that also.......

If Brits (for example) were being banged up week after week with no legal recourse it would be front page news and quite simply it isn't

I walk through the Emirates with Tramadol and Codeine products in their original prescribed boxes without any fear whatsoever.....

Its only "perhaps" those that have loose "Benzos" in their bags (as an example) who could find themselves in difficulty if not prescribed.

It was and has been front page news. Because something seems ludicrous to you does not mean it does not and can not happen. Time to start thinking outside your box... Why on earth do think this is a pinned topic otherwise ?

Of course, perhaps the BBC area also being ludicrous?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7234786.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7801410/Dubai-warning-to-travellers-over-prescription-medicine.html

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/courts/prescription-drug-abuse-will-be-punished-prosecutors-say

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/music/newsid_7649000/7649435.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7276175.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_midlands/7235467.stm

I was going to have a stop In Dubai in May going to the UK, will not now. If all written is completely true it is totally unjustified. Would not use Korean Air either after they tried to get fully booked and paid passengers to pay more because someone in the airline stuffed up on pricing.

Avoid the UAE

Seconded. thumbsup.gif

Only if you are a drug addict. Any medication with a doctor's prescription or labelled bottles is fine.

Emirates is a great airline and the hotels there make it a nice luxurious stopover.

Absolutely correct and the scare mongering on this thread borders on libel in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder what they have against Brits?

Is it only the UAE with this strict policy?

My wife has just bought a heap of cold/flu/cough medications for our kids while in the UK.

We travel through Oman - doeas anyone know if they are as bad as the UAE?

I wonder what they have against Brits?

Is it only the UAE with this strict policy?

My wife has just bought a heap of cold/flu/cough medications for our kids while in the UK.

We travel through Oman - doeas anyone know if they are as bad as the UAE?

The list of banned substances is posted in the earlier pages of this thread.

It is possible that as Oman is adjacent to the UAE that many of the laws are the same. Therefore if you wish to remain perfectly safe check your medication against the list.

I have travelled through the UAE on every flight home for the past 7 years without being stopped or checked, so I don't worry too much. However I do ensure that I am within the law and double check the contents of my wash-bag / medicines pouch before travelling just incase. It's simply better to err on the side of caution.

To those who say this is scare mongering or its just ‘druggies’, I disagree, there have been reports of people who have been jailed unfairly as a result of possessing prescription medication without the prescription or medication which in the UK is non-prescription.

Thus it pays to be careful when travelling through the UAE (and Middle East) hence the pinned topic !

• 4 weeks later...
Jesus any half decent barrister would destroy any prosecutor claiming an individual is in possession for having a poppy seed in a shirt or a sugar grain sized lump of cannabis on his shoe ??

Unfortunately half decent barristers aren't allowed in this part of the world, you can only be represented in court by a local Arab so there are plenty of law firms and even big UK law firms but they can't actually go to court with you, only hope to be recommened someone who isn't an idiot but tribal lines are strong and so is family influence here.

Dragging something out as long as possible and hoping it goes away if a big legal tactic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, some coincidence but I have just seen, on BBC World, that some Rap artist, not sure what his name was, has just been given the standard 4 years for 2 gm. cannabis--got caught at airport after flying in to perform a gig at some Dubai nightclub end of 2007--bit more realistic than poppy seeds off a breadroll but still heavy going--or maybe justified--depends on one's opinion, obviously.

In my opinion that is justified. If these idiots cannot go without their drugs, then they get what they deserve. I have no sympathy whatsoever for any numb nut who goes there with cannabis etc. Yes bang the buggers up. coffee1.gif

I have been hearing of this for some time now. That's why i have avoided transiting through the UAE. I have deliberately avoided Abu Dhabi and chosen to fly QATAR passing through Doha. However i doubt if my avoidance of this "snake pit" of a country by using another airline , will make any difference, everybody needs to grow some balls and do the same, then they might start asking questions.