Brits Charged Over Atm Scam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know how this case is progressing ?? Anyone have any inside information ?

ask and you shall receive...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Three Brits still in Phuket jail

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Court has denied bail to a British family charged with bank fraud after they were caught using counterfeit cards to withdraw more than 100,000 baht from a Kasikorn Bank ATM in downtown Phuket City.

Lt Col Chakaphol Suchon of Phuket City Police Station told the Gazette that the three suspects are still being held at Phuket Provincial Prison awaiting their next court appearance.

Suspects Mark Hubert Veerasawmy, 44, his son Sonny, 19, and Jennifer Anne Chapman, 31, were arrested on February 18 after an alert citizen notified police that the father and son were behaving strangely. (Click here for the Gazette’s original report.)

The three, described by police as a family, have refused to give any details about how they obtained the fake bank cards, except to say that they bought them off a man named “Peter”, Lt Col Chakaphol said.

Finding the elder Mr Veerasawmy’s testimony unconvincing, investigators will continue to seek further evidence in the case, he said.

“Their request for bail was denied by the court, which cited the possibility that they would flee the country if released,” Lt Col Chakaphol added.

(phuket gazette)

Does anyone know how this case is progressing ?? Anyone have any inside information ?

ask and you shall receive...

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Three Brits still in Phuket jail

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Court has denied bail to a British family charged with bank fraud after they were caught using counterfeit cards to withdraw more than 100,000 baht from a Kasikorn Bank ATM in downtown Phuket City.

Lt Col Chakaphol Suchon of Phuket City Police Station told the Gazette that the three suspects are still being held at Phuket Provincial Prison awaiting their next court appearance.

Suspects Mark Hubert Veerasawmy, 44, his son Sonny, 19, and Jennifer Anne Chapman, 31, were arrested on February 18 after an alert citizen notified police that the father and son were behaving strangely. (Click here for the Gazette's original report.)

The three, described by police as a family, have refused to give any details about how they obtained the fake bank cards, except to say that they bought them off a man named "Peter", Lt Col Chakaphol said.

Finding the elder Mr Veerasawmy's testimony unconvincing, investigators will continue to seek further evidence in the case, he said.

"Their request for bail was denied by the court, which cited the possibility that they would flee the country if released," Lt Col Chakaphol added.

(phuket gazette)

Good news at least.

Non co-operation with the police here effectively doubles your sentence!!!!

Carry on bleating boys, carry on bleating and maybe you will not be able to make victims of anybody else for a long time....

I am more interested to know if this pond life can get their usual pile of Legal Advice money here. I do hope not.

Ok, so let's say the lady was not involved in the actual atm activities. No one saw her and she's innocent until proven guilty etc. However, she did live with the perps and as a result benefited from their proceeds of crime. There are laws against this in her origin country. If my g/f came home with wads of cash or suddenly had money from unknown sources, it would certainly raise my curiousity. She has a lot of explaining to do. I would be surprised if she was clueless as to what her beloved man friend and and son were up to. Sorry, but mom's usually know what's up.

You can live with the purportraitors but that doesn't make you an accessory to the crime. As I said my sister spoke to Ms Champan's sister and she says that she had no idea this was taking place. She hasn't been with this gentleman very long, so in all honesty the only thing she can be guilty of is being naive. She may have had no idea until the phonecall from her partner, I don't know. All I know is that having known this girl for so many years she wouldn't do anything like this. Her partner and son have carried out this crime, so fair enough they deserve to have the book thrown at them, but she shouldn't be made guilty by association and I have no doubt that she didn't do anything.

I take issue with a few of your comments/observations.

She hasn't been with this gentleman very long

Since they've an eight year old daughter together, your statement is wholly misleading.

All I know is that having known this girl for so many years she wouldn't do anything like this

You didn't know her well enough to know that she had an eight year old daughter or even that she was with this man for at least eight years.

Another thing you may not know is that the girl is a self confessed thief, possibly a kleptomaniac. That fact may have nothing to do with this case, but it is certainly relevant in the light of your attempts to paint her whiter than white.

Her and your protestations are undoubtably caused by the fear of being incarcerated for an extended period in a Thai prison.

I WOULD NOT WANT A 19 YEAR OLD BOY SITTING IN A THAI CELL WITH A BUNCH OF MURDERING'/ RAPE COMMITTING LADY BOYS ON HIS 20TH BIRTHDAY

WHY??? I couldn't think of a better place for the scummy little <deleted> witt to be. If he goes free. he goes back to England even more arrogant and with even less regard for anyone else in society. Or do you believe he will have learned his lesson, go home and become a nice, decent member of his local community? maybe he'll volunteer to do a little Charity work at the local YMCA as well. With a father and an upbringing like that, the boys a wrongen and always will be. Doing time in a proper prison is exactly what he needs, it's just a shame people getting caught in England don't get the same, instead of a few months in a holiday camp.

• 1 month later...