Satellite Internet

timber

Hi All,

I will be moving south to the area between Chumphon and Lang Suan in about 3 months.

I need a satellite internet connection. Are there any recommendations? I would appreciate it

if you can give me some good references.

Take care and thanks for any comments.

I was on TOT satellite, and have moved onto ADSL with the same company. I have saved almost 100Baht for the same speed, but much more reliable service. The satellite also was useless in the heavy rain, just like the UBC is.

• 2 years later...

I live in Ranong and TOT ASDL is available for starting price of 590 baht a month, but I recommend you get the higher speed of ASDL at 700 baht a month. Both sucks if your looking for really high speed.

We relocated to Isaan (Chaiyaphum district) near KhanKhlor. I'm currently using an air-card and AIS. It totally sucks. My upload speed - lol if that is what I should call it - is 236Kbps. TOT told us the govt only allows 20 houses -in the 200 house village- internet access and there is a waiting list. But they said for a mere Bt 2,600 a month they would install a satellite dish giving me instant access. I don't think my relatives in USA pay this much for really really good internet service. I guess I wonder where the hel_l True is? Or why some other company does not make a decent service available for us "hillbillies."

Oh I remember the days when I could download a movie or sitcom with ease.

Any suggestions - other than pay the govt this money????

• 1 year later...

It appears that this thread is 3-4 years old.

Is there a newer thread on this topic?

Are there any updates?

Has the position altered.?

The recommented link to CAT also seems obsolete

I need a reliable internett acces in Issaan and there is no ADSL or acceptable telephone facility

Thanks

Are there any updates?

I need a reliable internett acces in Issaan and there is no ADSL or acceptable telephone facility

Thanks

Maybe you would be better posting this question in the Issan local forum ??

• 9 months later...

Are there any updates?

Thanks

Maybe you should be more helpful?

As you may or may not be aware, Internet access by satellite in Isan should not be very different from other regions of Thailand. Therefore asking here is very suitable.

Perhaps someone else could advise what is the status with Internet access via satellite now?

Are there any updates?

Thanks

Maybe you should be more helpful?

As you may or may not be aware, Internet access by satellite in Isan should not be very different from other regions of Thailand. Therefore asking here is very suitable.

Perhaps someone else could advise what is the status with Internet access via satellite now?

Again ask about these service providers in the local area, you will get more replies, more forum members there.

Hi 'Nana Cowboy'

Can't give too much assistance but maybe some.

I live in Issan in a rural village and until recently had no option but to use an ariel system or satellite. TOT where very unhelpful when I first approached them re satellite (IP-Star) and basically refused to give me the service as they said ' have too many complaints from farangs'. This I believe from what others have said is because the service is awful and easily affected by the weather. Then I approached CAT, They sent out some guys from the Buriram computer shop, that they work closely with, and installed a tall ariel on the side of my house pointing to the nearest large mast (about 20Kms away). Cost 18,000B. The speed at best was slow and not that good for things like Skype calls at the best of times but it was better than nothing. Recently CAT announced that they are closing down their CDMA option as at the end of this year and replacing with a new service now that they have 'jumped into bed' with True. Was told that the new service might not be suitable/available in my area though the guys in the computershop did not think it would be a problem. Would have needed a new sim card supplied by CAT and a new modem supplied by the shop. Was going to go down this path when suddenly TOT installed a mast in our village and luckily I was able to be one of the 12 connections by ADSL. Now I am sorted and much happier.

Are you near Buriram? If so I could PM you the computer shop telephone number who work with CAT and maybe they could give you updated info on their new system and advice you if suitable for your area..