Format Error - Sony Memory Stick 1gb

peter991

I have had my Sony Cyber-shot 3.2MP digital camera for a while now. Last week, as I went to download a few pictures from my camera to my computer, I received the following message on the camera's screen: FORMAT ERROR.

I used the camera's setup menu to reformat the Sony Memory Stick MS Pro Duo 1GB and started taking pictures again. Two days later - the same message: FORMAT ERROR.

I have had the memory stick for around 4 years and taken hundreds of pictures without any problems - until now.

Do memory sticks fail or is the problem with the camera?

Memory sticks are cheap - off eBay for $AUD7 (210 baht). Should I get a replacement or find somewhere to service the camera? Also - can Sony Cyber-shot 3.2MP cameras take a 2GB memory card?

Peter

Sorry no direct experiance with that model, however with some SD cards in my camera I have had to reformat them on my computer before getting them to work, cheapie bought in Singapore. Also the SD slot on one of my PCs does not always read the card correctly - I use a USB adaptor, that appears to buffer the SD card to allow the PC USB to read it without error.

Perhaps you are inserting/removing the card while the camera is switched on. That could be the cause of the error. I have never heard of a card failing, i have even put one through the laundry 3 times and it still had data on it.

Nidge.

I'm not an expert so this may not be correct, but from what I've been told when you 'delete' an image off of your memory card what you are actually saying is that you give permission to copy over the top of the image so, over time, you have layers and layers of images on your card. When I've had format problems with memory sticks and USB thumb-drives, I've reformatted the card using the computer and that permanently gets rid of everything on the card which means it is completely blank again. Mind you, it could just be that your memory card is too old and if so, they are not too expensive to buy in shops in Bangkok these days.

I recently read that memory cards will malfunction and that it is safer to use several small capacity cards rather than one big megapixels card. This will minimize loss of pictures if a memory card malfunctions.

Has any one else heard this ???

3 years ago I experienced the ultimate nightmare with a Kingston 1Gb C/F card.

I was shooting a wedding. After some 130 shots I took a break to review the shots.

Horror of horrors - the card read "FORMAT ERROR" and I couldn't see a single image!

I raced home and tried every card-reader I possessed without success - PANIC.

I contacted Kingston's local representative in BKK who arranged to send the card to the head office in Taiwan.

They managed to recover all the images and returned them in their RAW format on a DVD. They also replaced the faulty card.

I queried what had gone wrong and was`informed that this is a fairly common issue hence the recovery software possessed by the Company.

Their concluding advise was to utilise several cards on a rotational basis and periodically format the cards.

I've been doing this ever since without problems and am still using cards from 3 years ago.

What a relief you've managed to recover all the wedding shots!

I would have just panicked I probably wouldn't have thought about having it sent to the distributor thinking what's gone is gone. Good thing you didn't give it up.

BTW I have a 8GB SanDisk Extreme 4 which my EOS 5D does not seem to recognize it as a 8GB card, as it shows the remaining shot counter reading of 499 on blank card when it shows 999 with same 8GB CF but of much slower Kensington. Anybody knows how to make my 5D recognize SanDisk Extreme 4 CF at its full capacity?

Edited by Nordlys

Strange you should refer to the 8Gb reading. I use a a 4Gb SanDisk Extreme 111 and checking the empty shot counter on my 5D I see I have 236 shots available. On a Kingston 4Gb I see 229!

My last shoot was 98 shots giving me 1.19Gb i.e. 12.14Mb average only. So, If my maths are right, at a mean 12.14Mb per shot this equates to less than 3Gb per card!

It will be interesting to know if someone has an explanation

Thanks for all your help everybody. I carefully removed the memory card and wiped the 'contacts.' Then I noticed that two of the small 'wires' that the memory card makes contact with seemed to be off-set. I gently straightened them, formatted the memory card and touch wood, everything has been fine.

Just to be on the safe side, I've ordered a new Sony Cybershot 7.2mp and a genuine Sony 2GB memory card.

Peter

One thing that was not mentioned was “that once you download your photos from a card via a computer or direct from your camera via a computer” you must always exit via the “Safety Remove Hardware” which can be found at the bottom right hand corner of the computer “Tool Bar”.

Never delete your photos from a computer using your card as was mentioned, but always from your camera.

Yours truly,

Kan Win :o

Edited by Kan Win