"jug", "plonk", 'cheapo" Wine Vendors In Cm?

jaideeguy

My drink of choice is red wine and I have mostly used Rimping as my source. Occasionally, they will have a decent 5lt jug for under 1000baht, but they are out of anything decent now and I'm looking for alternatives.

The superstores are not so super when it comes to good deals.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other sources of Jug wine [as they call it in the states or "Plonk', [as they call it in OZ].

my budget [wife] won't let me go over 200baht/ltr

Maybe a small, hidden, secret little importer shop???

Please share....

My drink of choice is red wine and I have mostly used Rimping as my source. Occasionally, they will have a decent 5lt jug for under 1000baht, but they are out of anything decent now and I'm looking for alternatives.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other sources of Jug wine [as they call it in the states or "Plonk', [as they call it in OZ].

Please share....

Have you tried the new wine shop which is in the same shopping precinct as the Rimping opposite the airport plaza? They have a good selection of wines at reasonable prices.

Cheers :o

Please share....

On occasion I buy the big 5litre jugs from rimping, the other place that is fairly reasonable is the booze shop opposite the Thai Airways office, all their spirits seem to be a bit cheaper than other places as well.

Please share....

Try Buonissimo Restaurant on the east side of the Ping River just before you get to the Superhwy. Sergio has a decent red jug wine that he imports himself. His retail outlet is in a building on the left as you enter his parking lot.

Recommend the 3 litre wine boxes at Rimping. Wine stays "fresh" after opening & will keep for 6 weeks, not that I've managed to make one last more than 6 days....

Six weeks. You must be kidding? Have you got any tastebuds? Six dats may be pushing it?

How long can you keep wine once the bottle has been opened?
How soon does wine in an open bottle go bad? Do I need to finish a bottle of wine in one sitting when it has been opened? This question gets asked in a great many ways but it always does get asked. This is because one of the harder things to figure out about wine is when to pour out wine that is left in the bottle.

There are lots of variables regarding the wine type, method of production, age of bottle and on and on. There are all those considerations and exceptions but for 95% of the wine that most people drink, the answer is pretty simple.

Three (3) days
. Around here, we keep wines up to 3 days after the bottle has been opened. Once a bottle of wine is opened, the oxygen in the air starts a process that initially softens the flavors and opens up the aromas of the wine. As this process (oxidation) continues over many hours and days, the wine is ultimately made undrinkable. The trick is to use the wine before it becomes unpalatable or to pour it out before bad wine is served to guests.

You can (and usually should) refrigerate recorked bottes. You can buy stoppers and gadgets to create a slight vaccuum in the bottle. You can get systems that put a layer of inert gas in the bottle. All these items and efforts are aimed at slowing the oxidation that will eventually destroy the wine.

What makes the whole thing tricky is that the wine will not go immediately from good to bad. The wine will, at a point, begin to progressively develop tastes that are unpleasant. Just like milk that is going bad, each person has a different point at which they identify the beverage as having gone bad.

If you want to play it safe (and who doesn't with either milk or wine), then just use the 3 day rule. Recork and refrigerate the bottle for up to three days. With red wines, pull the bottle from the refrigerator at least 1/2 hour before you want to use it so it will warm to a
in the mid 60's F. With white wines or roses, just pull and pour when you need them.

Keeping opened wines beyond 3 days is like playing golf in a lightning storm. You may get through but you are tempting the fates. If you keep a table wine for more than 3 days, you will be serving a wine that has lost most of the characteristics that are prized. The aroma will start to change and much of the fresh fruit smells and tastes will subside. At worst, you'll be serving a wine that has oxidized too much and is partly or entirely bad.

Recommend the 3 litre wine boxes at Rimping. Wine stays "fresh" after opening & will keep for 6 weeks, not that I've managed to make one last more than 6 days....

Six weeks. You must be kidding? Have you got any tastebuds? Six dats may be pushing it?

I guess you never heard about wine boxes then?

I guess you never heard about wine boxes then?

Yes you are right. I stand down. The 5 litre bottle thing threw me. Will stop drinking them now :o

If the budget from your better 1/2 is 200 B a litre, you are pretty much limited to one new fairly decent plonk, 2 L screwcap bottle, called "Mont Clair". I buy it from my local wholesaler on the corner of Huay Kaew and Canal Rd. who has a full retail outlet (wine room, etc.). 400 B for the aforementioned 2 L bottle

According to buzz I read about them by the wine reviewer in BKK Post, they are a Thai company that imports foreign juice (from South Africa is my understanding) and produces (ie vints) it here, thus getting around the very high wine import duties. I think it is drinkeable as an everyday simple table wine, but someone with a larger purse than I and an insistence on only very good wine would no doubt turn up their noses.

I have been to Wine Connection in the new Nim Plaza (next to the new Rimping near Airport Central) several times to buy wine, since they opened recently.

Decent selection, prices seem a bit of a savings, but in all honesty I've only tried a few bottles of Chilean and French wine that were at the low end of the market, pricewise. Definitely worth checking out.