Naive

Boon Mee

Farang are often accused of being  เชื้อ  (seeu) - is there another word in Thai that explains a Farang's "innocent frankness"?

ขอบคฌนาคร้บ

Hi there BoonMee, :D

I'm a bit confused as to what word you actually mean. :D

Farang are often accused of being เชื้อ (seeu)

That word เชื้อ (cheu-a),with "mai tooh",can mean such various things as sperm;germ; pathogen;infection;lineage; descendant; pedigree; nationality; family etc.

The similar เชื่อ (cheu-a),with "mai ek",=believe in; have faith in.

Mentioning "naive",I suspect that you could even be talking about ซื่อ (seu)? :o

I might have some good suggestions once I know exactly which of the above you mean. :D

Please elaborate some more,will you?

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Hi Snowleopard,

Sorry to confuse you - I was trying to spell phonetically and didn't quite make the mark!

Did a little more research as to naive in Thai and อ่อนฅ่โลก "on taa look" and ว่าง่ย "vanaii" or เขอคนง่ย "cheu khon nai" seem to be the more easily recognized words.

Do you know of any others?

Thanks as always for your help! :o

Cheers,

Boon Mee

Hi Snowleopard,

Sorry to confuse you - I was trying to spell phonetically and didn't quite make the mark!

Did a little more research as to naive in Thai and อ่อนฅ่โลก "on taa look" and ว่าง่ย "vanaii" or เขอคนง่ย "cheu khon nai" seem to be the more easily recognized words.

Thanks as always for your help!  :D 

Cheers,

Boon Mee

Did a little more research as to naive in Thai

Thanks as always for your help!  :D

Hi BoonMee, :D

Here are a few suggestions for naive and related words... :o

1.ไร้เดียงสา"rai dee-ang saa"=innocent; naive; childlike; artless; simple; credulous; ingenuous; unworldly

2.หน่อมแน้ม "nohm naem"=childish; innocent; naive; artless

3.ไม่รู้เดียงสา "mai rooh dee-ang saa"=be innocent

4.แป๋ว "paeow"=innocent; unaffected; artless

5.ซื่อๆ "seu-seu"=honest; faithful; straightforward;naive;unsophisticated

6.บริสุทธิ์ใจ "borisuht jai"=ingenuous

7.ความอ่อนประสบการณ์ "kwaam ohn pra-sop gaan"=naive;inexperienced

8.ตรงไปตรงมา "dtrong pai dtrong maa"=unsophisticated

9.อ่อนต่อโลก "ohn dto lohk"=unworldly;green

10.เหมือนเด็ก "meu-an dek"=naive;childlike

11.ไม่มีเล่ห์เหลี่ยม "mai mee lae lee-am"=straightforward with no ulterior motives

12.มีจิตใจที่อ่อนแอ"mee jit jai tee ohn ae"=susceptible

13.โดนหลอกง่าย "dohn loohk ngai"=gullible;fleeceable

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Hi Snow Leopard,

I was taught that kwaam (ความ) plus an adjective creates an abstract noun as in kwaam + soo-ay (ความสวย) = beauty. So would your example above be rather translated as naivety/inexperience or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Snow Leopard,

I was taught that kwaam (ความ) plus an adjective creates an abstract noun as in kwaam + soo-ay (ความสวย) = beauty. So would your example above be rather translated as naivety/inexperience or have I grabbed the wrong end of the stick?

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Scouser, :D

You're quite right in your assertion that the prefix ความ "kwaam" is used with adjectives to form nouns in Thai!

I should have used the Thai adjectives for naive;inexperienced.

Here they are... :o

1.ไร้ประสบการณ์ "rai pra-sop gaan"=inexperienced

2.ไม่มีประสบการณ์ "mai mee pra-sop gaan"=inexperienced

3.ขาดประสบการณ์ "kaat pra-sop gaan"=inexperienced

Here is a related word which uses ความ "kwaam" but it is still used as an adjective!

ขาดความชำนาญ "kaat kwaam cham-naan"=unskilled. :D

Some English to Thai translations,and vice versa,are also easier if you change an adjective and use a noun instead.

For example...I am happy.=ผมมีความสุข "pom mee kwaam suhk"! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Hi Snowleopard

I seem to recall having heard the expression Dtaa Khaaow like in "white eyes" (sorry no thai keyboard at work) meaning naive as well. But I am a bit suspicious as to whether it is a valid expression or not.

Is that a valid expression and if yes, do you think that it conveys the meaning of naive?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Snowleopard

I seem to recall having heard the expression Dtaa Khaaow like in "white eyes" (sorry no thai keyboard at work) meaning naive as well. But I am a bit suspicious as to whether it is a valid expression or not.

Is that a valid expression and if yes, do you think that it conveys the meaning of naive?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael, :D

ตาขาว "dtaa kaow"=white eyes. :D

It's certainly a valid expression but it means more like cowardly;fearful;timid;spineless and such. :o

Synonyms of ตาขาว "dtaa kaow"(white eyes) would be...1.ขี้ขลาด "kee klaat";and,2.ขลาด "klaat" :D

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

sorry no thai keyboard at work

You may like to try my javascript keyboard. It still has a few glitches, but if you can touchtype Thai it's better than my older, but probably robuster version, which Meadish has tried out. I don't know how well the new one works away from Internet Explorer - it may be relying on some of IE's apparent non-compliancies with Document Object Model Level 1. It could conceivably come seriously unstuck when switching between the 'phonetic' and Kedmanee keyboards.

You can save it to your computer and examine it (and still use it) if you have any worries about it. It seems to survive IE's 'save as' - I do have javascript stuff that you have to download via 'view source'.

I use an even more primitive version at work, because I know my 'phonetic' keyboard by heart and I'm a long way from touchtyping Thai. I used to use the encoding to write text to print with a PostScript Type 3 (i.e. 'stick') Thai font while I was courting.