General Discussion

Ping

This is a thread for you to discuss general issues, experiences, etc pertaining to Phuket that are either not on-topic with specific threads or do not merit the creation of another thread. Nothing will be off-topic provided that there is some connection with Phuket.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pete (following on from the other thread), are you aware where you can buy one of those Thai BBQ pots (I think I know a place in Patong that will have them), how much it will cost and how you are going to get it home?

Pete (following on from the other thread), are you aware where you can buy one of those Thai BBQ pots (I think I know a place in Patong that will have them), how much it will cost and how you are going to get it home?

Ping, cost not relevant, just have to keep baggage lite next trip.

I always bring too much, just need to do more washing.

I will get it home, no worry.

Do you know of a Thai BBQ in Patong, Karon, Kata ........ ?

Neva seen one in Chalong, not enuff ppl to warrant one, I reckon.

Yes there are a few in Patong. Vary from about B120 to B250 p/p. I must admit I'm not all that imprssed by them, I far prefer a Korean BBQ meal (similar principle). I thought they may have had a BBQ resaurant down amongst the beachside restaurants at Rawai. I haven't noticed, but I haven't been looking; you'd think there'd be one there, though. Don't kinow about Chalong, maybe if another poster knows of one there, he/she can mention it?

I looked at Google Earth re Chalong Pier. The snap doesn't look all that out of date to me - maybe two or three years - there is no sign of the old pier. But it has the block of newish shops (where that Indian restaurant is with the owner who chases you down the street to give you his card). If you look on that pier road on the Phuket Town side, you will see the place I was telling you about (ex mini-golf) clearly visible as a largish block with trees on it. The pic is probably about the same age as the Patong photo, which shows Jungceylon before it was opened (still surrounded by dirt roads).

Getting back to buying a BBQ, I don't suppose they'd have them at Big C? If not, there would be plenty of places that would have them - just have to sniff around. I still reckon it will be a pest trying to pack it. Have you considered freighting it back? Anyway, no doubt you will work something out. I try to pack fairly lightly myself, and always end up on the border of baggage allowance in any case.

We've got a problem & would appreciate any ideas

On 23rd January we purchased a second hand Mazda and immediately went to the Driving Centre in Phuket Town to have the car checked and the blue registration book changed to our name

We saw the book with the name changed correctly some three hours later but the clerk said her boss had to add a final signature, which would take an hour at least.

We had other urgent business and said "could you post it to us?" That did not seem to be a problem.

We have been back 4 times and left notes for the girl (as she was always out!) who seemed to be solely dealing with us asking for info as to

where our book was as we still have not got it over a month later.

We have had no email, phone call or letter from them and presume the book is lost

We paid 3200 bht for the name change

What can we do now?

Yes there are a few in Patong. Vary from about B120 to B250 p/p. I must admit I'm not all that imprssed by them, I far prefer a Korean BBQ meal (similar principle). I thought they may have had a BBQ resaurant down amongst the beachside restaurants at Rawai. I haven't noticed, but I haven't been looking; you'd think there'd be one there, though. Don't kinow about Chalong, maybe if another poster knows of one there, he/she can mention it?

I looked at Google Earth re Chalong Pier. The snap doesn't look all that out of date to me - maybe two or three years - there is no sign of the old pier. But it has the block of newish shops (where that Indian restaurant is with the owner who chases you down the street to give you his card). If you look on that pier road on the Phuket Town side, you will see the place I was telling you about (ex mini-golf) clearly visible as a largish block with trees on it. The pic is probably about the same age as the Patong photo, which shows Jungceylon before it was opened (still surrounded by dirt roads).

Getting back to buying a BBQ, I don't suppose they'd have them at Big C? If not, there would be plenty of places that would have them - just have to sniff around. I still reckon it will be a pest trying to pack it. Have you considered freighting it back? Anyway, no doubt you will work something out. I try to pack fairly lightly myself, and always end up on the border of baggage allowance in any case.

Ping, you are correct, it wasn't till too late, to edit, that I ralised I was wrong.

I was thinking the pier went straight ahead from the pier road, must be alzheimers setting in.

Hoped nobody would notice..........LOL

Yeah it is an, well quite uptodate pic.

No sign of the new pier at Rawai, that I have seen, as yet, on Google Earth.

Yes the old (wooden) pier used to go straight on from the pier road. I have to say that I'm disappointed with that aspect of Google Earth. I would have thought they would have kept their images a little more up to date. But it is impressive for what it is, all the same. Have you Googled yourself into the Swiss Alps? Almost as impressive as the real thing.

I forgot to mention that a few of the supermarkets put their current junk mail offerings on their websites as either PDFs or browser viewable html versions. The ones I have looked at are in Thai, but they have the prices and snaps of the products. Perhaps you could try a few of them to get an idea of availability/prices of the BBQ thingies.

Looks like I'm going to have Internet dramas again this year. The house I rent doesn't have a phone so I asked on another thread about other options. Aircard was mentioned but it's CDMA and George (Admin) pointed to an article that says that CDMA is on its way out in Thailand. So, wireless hot spots and Internet cafes again this year, by the looks of things. It's a pain, because I would like t be able to use te Internet in the comfort of my home rather than having to go around the corner. But what can I do? Can't put a phone in - not my house and I'm only there 6 months per year. It's a pest.

Ping, I mite just do that, neva know what I may find.

My mobile is CDMA, only works in Bangers........ :o

I see CDMA is being dunped in OZ end of April, Telecom in NZ wilol loan you a compatible phone if required.

NZ, will have it about another 4 years.

After tripping around and returning to BKK, there are usually lotsa txts asking, "Where are you?"..... lol

Mobile no big deal to me.,,,,,, Vegemite is...... :D

Yes but I need to check the net fairly regularly - keep in contact with daughter, pay bills and particularly (of course) access to Thaivisa!

Haven't been to Bangkok for quite a few years - probably seven or eight of them. Just don't like the place, for some reason. Always too hot/humid, too much traffic and exhaust fumes and too hectic. In Phuket, you have the advantages of both extremes - everything from having a beach to yourself to the pace of Patong (and everything in-between). Magic. For the first few years I went to Phuket, I actually used to get quite excited about upcoming trips. That doesn't happenj anymore, becuase it is like a second home to me. But I still see it as the closest thing to Paradise that there can be. Have you ever taken the time to drive around the coastal villages of Phuket's east coast, where is some spots you can see the islands jutting up from the sea in the 'background'? Picture postcard - a bit like going to Krabi but without the drive all the way over there. And you don't need a 4WD.

I always used to hire a Suzi Caribbean, but for the few extra parts to which it can allow you acces, it is just not worth the general discomfort. Always hire a sedan now, and only half as much again as jeep hire prices (if you know the right places). It always amuses me that so many car hire places can survive with the exorbitant prices they advertise. I suppose there is no shortage of tourists who either don't know the 'right' prices or can't be bothered finding them. These, of course, are the same tourists who tip too much or don't know how to haggle... the reasons that prices keep spiralling. AS you can tell, I don't have much time for people with more money than sense, because they are so self-centred that they have no care about the impact they are having on others with ever-increasing prices. The uninitiated ('noobs') can be forgiven, but you only have to read previous threads on this forum to see how many people don't give a hoot about the pricing problems they are leaving behind after they go home from their two week package at the Hilton Arcadia.

Aaahhhhhhh Ping, I love Bangers in small doses, 3 -4 nites at a time, always just on arrival and again before returning home.

I used to split my time between Patong and Chalong, Chalong won in the end, laid back and not full of katoeys and traders harrassing you as you wander along. Barely any tourists, and lotsa great guys, expats, and gals to chat and drink the nite away.

Can't wait to get back, will be late this year cos of my prob.

If I wanna go to Patong, I use a scooter, no probs. Funny, it always rains on my return, without fail.........LOL

As you suggest, hire 4 wheels and trip around the island, but being on me lonesome, not keen.

If I do catch up with you, must have a chinwag about doing it.

As far as prices and such, I do have my nephew for guidance, he bin there over 20 years.

I agree about tipping, I do tip, but do not overdo it.

If excessive tipping occurs, then it becomes expected and , as you say, things/services etc become more expensive.

Edited by Zpete

So when do you think you will get over there Pete? I thought you said you may not make it there this year? I will be going back to Oz in November, then back again May the following year for another 6 months or so (may stay Nov as well next year - haven't been there during Loy Kratong for quite a few years and used to enjoy it).

Ping, in all reality, I would not expect to be there before Aug, Sept most likely.

As I said, all depends on radiation therapy.

My lilgal took me down to the river over near Khao Sarn Rd, was a crazy nite, wall to wall people.

Be fun again, but not alone, we'll see.

Last time I was at Loy Kratong I just wandered down to the beach in Patong. As you say, wall to wall people. There were little kids there who you could pay to take your kratong out and float it, but I was rather p!issed so took mine out myself. Many years ago. Brilliant. November 13 this year.

I gotta get to Thailand first, have me fingers Xed efrything goes well.

Mite be fun in in Chalong, sending kratongs on their way from the barge at end of pier.

Rawai, likewise, dunno if pier there is finished yet. Rawai mite be more fun.

Go to both,,,,,, :o

I most likely be back in NZ, this year........bugga

Yes but you still get a heck of a lot of them around my way (Patong) even in the low season. I don't mind most of them, but you get so many young blokes who are barely old enough to be away from their Dad's watchful eye, and they can be a pest. You also get the middle-aged yobbo element - they're often worse. Unfortunately (being an Oz) it seems that the most aggressive ones when they are p!ssed - spoiling for any fight they can cook up - are often Aussies. But no nationality is immune.

The worst I ever saw was when one particular US ship was in for shore leave and the guys just went berserk. Running through bars and stealing stuff/not paying for drinks; hanging off tuktuks and throwing stubbies at anything that moved; fighting amongst themselves (and the list goes on). They finally decided to beat the daylights out of a couple of local (Thai) guys on the beach (Patong) and nearly killed one of them - shore leave cancelled! Big price to pay, but I was glad to see the back of them. When the next ship came in, I moved down to Kata for a few days. Luckily the navy ships seem to mainly head to Pattaya these days.

Re high season - generally recognised to be November - May, with peaks over Xmas and during Songkran. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall many years ago that high season finished earlier, but Songkran became such a draw card that they extended it (used to be only one day) and all the hotels upped their rates. Mongrels. Not my problem though - I have had a dislike of the busy season for a long time. I actually used to really enjoy Songkran, but it just got to be too far over the top.

Still contemplating moving to Phuket semi-permanently, but if I do, I won't stay in Patong during the high season - probably Kata or maybe even Naiharn or Chalong. Of course, if I end up buying a condo, I will be locked in. (Don't want a condo, but don't want to lease land and don't want to buy a house the 'funny' company way - both options are too risky.)

Good question Pete - what's a tourist? I'm only there six months a year - does that make me a tourist? Does it mean I am also a tourist in Oz? The boffins will tell you that a tourist is a person who does not have a marriage or retirement visa (let's not even bother considering nationalisation - virtually impossible), but we all know many people spend half their lives doing border runs and stepping out every now and then to renew their cat. O multi-entry visas. (Wonder what all those 30 day visa runners ended up doing? Suppose most got a cat. O and the rest either went home or are constantly looking over their shoulders.) I don't do much in the way of touring these days, although I have promised myself a decent look through Isaan (probably next year).

Enough of my waffle for now.

LOL, Ping.

Shudda caled this thread, The Ping and Pete gossip.

October is start of price hikes, caught out twice, neva agin.

My nephew's Dive Bus goes into top gear, beginning of Oct.

I was in Barcelona once when 6th Fleet arrived.

A few fights outside a whore house, but with all the local police carrying AK 47s, or sumfin, not much probs.

Heaps of SPs around too. Seems they bought their own paddywagons.

Guys busting to get their, and some gals, pants down.........hehehe.

Chalong, Rawai, Naiharn and in between would be my choice for long term stay.

Karon and Kata are better than Patong, but still too many yobos.

Cheers matey

Edited by Zpete

Yes I don't mind Naiharn/Rawai/Chalong or Kamala or Surin (going up the other way), but just a bit too quiet for me off season.

You're right about the thread - no-one else seems interested in using it - well, no problem, it will eventually fade away into the archives. I only opened it because of the objection about being off-topic in the Chalong thread (and he was quite right, of course).

You mentioned about the prices going up - I walked into a shop in Port Vila once, just as a cruise liner was arriving. Souvenirs, bric-a-brac, trinkets... whatever you like to call them. All the staff were busily replacing the price tags. I said to one of them, 'What are you doing?' She said, 'Ship come in, price go up. But old price for you!' They go through the same rigmarole every time a ship comes in. I felt like saying to them to leave the high price ticket on all the time and just have a 50% off marked prices placard up when no ships are in port. Is this off topic? No - it reminded me of the way they do things in Thailand (always the most complicated and least effective way.)

You should have received a receipt when you paid your transfer tax & fee. Use that receipt to prove you made the transaction and collect your blue book. Take (politely) to the department mananger.

Thanks for thoughts on this;

end of saga this week when we went in to The Driving Centre for the 6th time and the girl handed us a brown envelope containing the "blue Book" which she had retrieved from the Post Office where it had been undeliverable because she had put an incorrect address

Lucky! :o

I walked into a shop in Port Vila once, just as a cruise liner was arriving.

In Vanuatu? What a peaceful happy place. I used to walk the road into Port Vila over the hill past the "prison" (wasn't much of a prison, as I never saw any prisoners behind the wire). I was last there maybe 10 yrs ago and that was one small town. It was the safest place I have ever been. No crime (againt tourists), no hookers, no crawling maimed beggers and no touts in a place that makes Patong seem like a big developed rich city. The locals seemed so forbidding and fierce but then they'd smile and give you a sincere hello. The kids were strangely well behaved too. The oddest thing was that the kitchen staff were mostly kiwis where I was staying and they made some of the best croissants and french foods, I have ever eaten. Even odder was that the place was used to billet New Zealand air force crews and they were incredibly well mannered. Never swore, never drank, never had hookers. So unlike the other quarters I shared with military personnel. So if anyone is hankering for a visit to a beautiful island with genuine people, that's family friendly and safe for kids, Vanuatu is worth the visit.

I always wanted to speak nicely about that place, and this was my chance. Sorry for the tangent.

Edited by geriatrickid

Thanks for the interesting comments GK. It's one of those places that you either love or hate - no grey area. Unfortunately, I was in the latter camp... but I suppose that after the closest thing to paradise (Phuket) that I am likely to find, I'm rather hard to please. I have known people to go back to Vanuatu regularly, yet I can't for the life of me see what the place has to offer. Not to mention the ripoffs - one of the many tourist places that has it down to a fine art. There are some parallels to be drawn between Vanuatu and Phuket, on both sides of the fence (as it were). At the end of the day, it is a great place for honeymooners or those who don't mind shelling out the exorbitant prices of the tourist spots like the volcanoes and the Pentecost Island 'bungee' jumpers (where taking a camcorder will cost you a heap of extra dollars). But then there are people such as yourself who find some mystical(?) quality about the place that keeps drawing them back. And good luck to them; the place just didn't do much for me.

Even odder was that the place was used to billet New Zealand air force crews and they were incredibly well mannered. Never swore, never drank, never had hookers. So unlike the other quarters I shared with military personnel.

Ya joking, Geri, ya painting Kiwis as saints.

'06 I was in Vanuatu, duty free about cheapest in the Pacific.

Nuthin else there appealed.

Cook Is beats it hands down, $NZ too.

BTW, Geri, I am a kiwi.

Oh for sure one can go batty on Vanuatu, but I was looking at it from the perspective of a family with kids and maybe a eunuch. I'd have ventured that the 20 yr old kid from NZ that was down the hall from me would have rather been in Thailand too as he looked pretty glum due to the absence of suitable female companions. I'd be a liar to not admit there were nights when I started talking to the mosquitos cuz I was bored. If one wants excitement of varying kinds, then you're right, Thailand has alot to offer. Even my visits to Jungceylon are an adventure.(I think I am morphing into my granny. )

As for the Cook Islands or Roratonga (I've so wanted to be a smartass and show I know the name) the prices were crazy. I don't know if its still the same, but unlike Thailand you have to have a confirmed hotel reservation and they do ask at immigration. That's the beauty of LOS, even if you land smack dab in peak season, you can usually find something and it's less than the cooks. The one advantage that both Van and the Cooks have is that you can speak english and folks understand you. My Thai is worse than pathetic so easy communication is a plus for simpletons like me. On the other hand a farang in a shop is always understood. :o

Edited by geriatrickid

The Cooks are really laid back, like LOS, they are always smiling.

Everynite a dance, party and drinking ya time away.

Better BOOZE too, KIWI booze.........LOL

Beaches are pristine, as good, if not better than Phuket's.

Kiwis and Ockors have no probs with immigration.

As for accommodations, I always book a couple of nites, uaually backpackers, no matter where I go.

Once there, move around, Fiji is great that way.

Rarotonga, capital of the Cooks is best, but a side trip to Aitutaki is well worthwhile.

Best of all, NO SHOPPING MALLS...... I am a cheapskate.... hehehe

English does make a diff. I speak no Thai, but love LOS.

http://www.cookislands.travelmall.com/guide.html

Edited by Zpete