Pleas For Help For Swedish Woman Living On The Streets.

Pattaya_Fox

Pleas for help for Swedish Woman living on the streets.

For many months a 40 year old Swedish Woman has been living on the streets of Pattaya. Many Police Divisions including the Tourist Police and Pattaya Police have encountered the woman who has no fixed abode. The woman drinks heavily on a daily basis and according to information gained from her, it appears she had a relationship with a Thai man who ended the partnership some time ago, leaving the woman will little money and nowhere to live. The Swedish Embassy has been contacted on numerous occasions in relation to her current situation and she has been picked-up by the Tourist Police and Pattaya Police on a number of occasions as well. Despite this, she remains on the streets and on Monday Night she was spotted on a bench in Naklua. Local Police were called in who in turn called the Tourist Police to collect her. It appears though, that she will be released back on to the streets to continue her life as a homeless foreigner in Thailand despite pleas from local Thai and Foreign residents of Pattaya to help her and send her back to Sweden where she can receive welfare support.

Pattaya City News

Tuesday 26th February 2008

post-15964-1204031573_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1204031587_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1204031603_thumb.jpg

Pleas for help for Swedish Woman living on the streets.

For many months a 40 year old Swedish Woman has been living on the streets of Pattaya. Many Police Divisions including the Tourist Police and Pattaya Police have encountered the woman who has no fixed abode. The woman drinks heavily on a daily basis and according to information gained from her, it appears she had a relationship with a Thai man who ended the partnership some time ago, leaving the woman will little money and nowhere to live. The Swedish Embassy has been contacted on numerous occasions in relation to her current situation and she has been picked-up by the Tourist Police and Pattaya Police on a number of occasions as well. Despite this, she remains on the streets and on Monday Night she was spotted on a bench in Naklua. Local Police were called in who in turn called the Tourist Police to collect her. It appears though, that she will be released back on to the streets to continue her life as a homeless foreigner in Thailand despite pleas from local Thai and Foreign residents of Pattaya to help her and send her back to Sweden where she can receive welfare support.

Pattaya City News

Tuesday 26th February 2008

post-15964-1204031573_thumb.jpgpost-15964-1204031587_thumb.jpg

post-15964-1204031603_thumb.jpg

Pattaya ,truly a cosmopolitan city with authentic european tramps/hobos,.what next the salvation army singing to us on a sunday morning ! marvellous, see the thais arent racist,she can stay,.

This is a very sad story and I hope that this lady can get the help that she needs.

I fully agree. Some of the previous comments aren't very chique. Such a sad situation could happen to anybody, anywhere, even with a family member or loved one...

Alcoholism is a sickness and can/should be treated; she's a human being not an animal.

I think the Swedish Embassy should act, step in and send her home to be taken care of. There are extremely good rehab programs in Sweden and state clinics as far as I know.

LaoPo

What's wrong with Thai laws and foreign embassies anyway,there was a story here not long back about a homeless British guy.Whether this is self inflicted or whatever there are people out there in genuine need of support.Never mind you are a farang or gweilo as we say here but this is so sad to see.It's alao the association that a foreigner must have money which in this case probably isn't true.

Other than that she's making some sort of statement to make her lost Thai guy lose face.

It wouldn't happen in Australia.Too terrible like the other story.

This is a very sad story and I hope that this lady can get the help that she needs.
Me too, my previous post was tongue in cheek, however as most of us know these types of people do this from choice, my sister works for social services in the uk and they take these people in and give them a room and food, most do a runner and end up back on the street, i dont doubt this lady has a relative/friend she could call and they would help her, i know if it was a friend of mine or a relative i would ,.

What's wrong with Thai laws and foreign embassies anyway,there was a story here not long back about a homeless British guy.Whether this is self inflicted or whatever there are people out there in genuine need of support.Never mind you are a farang or gweilo as we say here but this is so sad to see.It's alao the association that a foreigner must have money which in this case probably isn't true.

Other than that she's making some sort of statement to make her lost Thai guy lose face.

It's been a while since you lived there hasn't it. Look on the streets of any largish city, there are homeless folk from many nations. If you look in the touristy areas they are a little more cosmopolitan. The shelters are overflowing, they can only take a limited number. The soup kitchens feed a lot more than there are beds available. Do google search on Cornelia Rau, a German born Australian resident.

As to the Swedish lady, if she has not asked or worse refused help from her embassy they will do little. The first step in solving this type of problem is to accept there is a problem.

It's been a while since you lived there hasn't it. Look on the streets of any largish city, there are homeless folk from many nations. If you look in the touristy areas they are a little more cosmopolitan. The shelters are overflowing, they can only take a limited number. The soup kitchens feed a lot more than there are beds available. Do google search on Cornelia Rau, a German born Australian resident.

As to the Swedish lady, if she has not asked or worse refused help from her embassy they will do little. The first step in solving this type of problem is to accept there is a problem.

Australia you would get deported.Period.I'm talking about foreigners who overstay or who disappear not the locals.

Edited by Momo8

Trouble with getting her back to Sweden is - who pays?

Swedish Consulate, if like the UK, will only pay if they are sure that there are funds available to reimburse the costs.

I assume the Thai Immigration people are the same.

If she has family back home, maybe they will help, otherwise it needs a charity to step in and help.

And maybe she would not cooperate - so then the airlines are reluctant.

This really is sad.

I've known several (about twenty) Scandinavians get like this when troubles will not go away. Doesn't solve anything though.

Some recover - tho' I've sent seven or eight home from contracts I've been running.

There's a parade of such people from time to time in various locations around Thailand, people from every country. Lower Sukhumvit and Pattaya has its fair share as does Phuket and I would guess, Samui and other tourist destinations also. It's difficult to get worked up about these folks, they exist everywhere it seems - sad but true. My home city has far more beggars and scammers on its streets who have access to a system yet opt out of it - I can't be bothered to worry about them existing here. They at least have an option available to them.

So she has enough money to drink heavily then.

My suggestion to her - drink less and get a room.

No sympathy from me.

Didn't see where she asked for your sympathy. She needs help, that is obvious, but your comments are worth nothing

You are right, she didn't ask me for anything.

But then again I didn't ask for a reply to my comment either - but i got it eh ?

My comments are, of course, as worthless as yours or anyones for that matter, unless they help to repatriate her.

I can't help

Edited by BROWNY

Eventually, she will have visa issues and the nice folks at immigration can sort if all out :o

Interesting issue really - at what point do the Thais hand her over to Swedish Embassy and say "your problem".

And would Sweden pay for her ticket home ? presume they would

As far as I can remember if you are British and get repatriated to the UK at the government cost they take your passport and you cannot travel abroad until the flight costs have been paid back.

I would assume that the same applies to Scandinavian countries as well as EU countries.

Sweden has a reputation for high quality medical services as well as some of the best social benefits in the world at a high cost to those still working.

Edited by billd766

I would assume that for some reason she has some form of "extended visa" otherwise almost certainly she would have been picked up by the immigration police and therefore the problem of Thailand, the Swedish embassy has no power to force here to return to Sweden.

If you are approached by her asking for money for food and want to help, best thing you could do is take her to one of the street kitchens where the Thais eat and buy her a 20B meal give the money to the stall not her, giving her money will just make the problem worse.

If she was married and her husband has just deserted her leaving her destitute then this is a prime example why Thailand is still third world, to often I have meet Thai women having to "work bar" because their husbands just deserted them and their children, often leaving huge debts which the wife is expected to pay.

said my bit...

BB

• 2 weeks later...