Can Anyone Tell Me How To Say "big Kiss"

micksmall

In Thai, the word kiss is jòop จูบ or, more colloquially jóop จุ๊บ (note the shorter vowel and high tone here). I don't think you could directly translate the phrase 'big kiss' though so my suggestions would be something like jóop jóop จุ๊บๆ or probably better still ขอจุ๊บหน่อย(นะ)(ครับ) kŏr jóop nòi ( ná )( kráp ) meaning more can I kiss you/have a kiss. The last two words being optional for cuteness/sounding less abrupt and politeness.

Edited by withnail

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to say "big kiss" please. If possible can I have the thai text aswell as I want to send it to my girlfriend in a message.

Thanks

withnail has a good suggestion there. i can't tell if mike is being deliberately funny (probably is) but his 'hom yai' หอมใหญ่ means 'onion'.

it shouldn't be impossible to translate 'big kiss' if you can work out what you mean by 'big' in this context. obviously it's not a matter of a huge set of lips, but what exactly does it mean to you?

all the best.

Bit risky this as there are some wordplays and innuendos lurking around, which Thais love, I might add. Until that is, some invisible line is crossed and the comment is considered vulgar and thus not funny.

Beware of mikethevigoman's hom yai หอมใหญ่ which sounds very similar to ham yai หำใหญ่ which means large willy.

Beware also of joop จูบ or จุ๊บ = kiss and juap จ๊วบ which I heard used as an onomatopoeic reference to fellatio.

็Hope this helps you avoid any faux pas.

"big kiss" - จูบฟอดใหญ่ or หอมฟอดใหญ่

This page has given the meaning of จูบฟอดใหญ่ as to give a hearty kiss with sound file. But you can say it when you want to say 'When I see you I will give you a big kiss' - เมื่อผมเจอคุณผมจะจูบคุณฟอดใหญ่เลย.

หอมฟอดใหญ่ is mostly used for a big kiss to a younger one on the cheek.

What's wrong with "jup yai" ?

"jup yai" means keep on kissing. For example, พอเจอเธอ คุณก็จูบใหญ่เลยนะ - when you met her, you kept on kissing her.

from what i can tell the literal translation 'joob yai' จูบใหญ่ is very rarely used for 'big kiss', though i did find a couple of examples by searching google. suffice to say, if you put ส่งจูบใหญ่ ๆ ให้เธอ (song joob yai yai hai ter) in a message, you will probably be understood fine. this is one of those situations where only a native speaker would really know, but i personally suspect that this is a borrowing from english, rather than proper thai.

here's another suggestion:

ส่งจูบให้หนึ่งฟอด (song joob hai neung fawt). the ฟอด represents a kissing sound, so we could translate it as 'smooch'. according to the person who suggested it to me, the use of the word ฟอด implies a loud, enthusiastic, 'big' kiss.

all the best.

from what i can tell the literal translation 'joob yai' จูบใหญ่ is very rarely used for 'big kiss', though i did find a couple of examples by searching google. suffice to say, if you put ส่งจูบใหญ่ ๆ ให้เธอ (song joob yai yai hai ter) in a message, you will probably be understood fine. this is one of those situations where only a native speaker would really know, but i personally suspect that this is a borrowing from english, rather than proper thai.

here's another suggestion:

ส่งจูบให้หนึ่งฟอด (song joob hai neung fawt). the ฟอด represents a kissing sound, so we could translate it as 'smooch'. according to the person who suggested it to me, the use of the word ฟอด implies a loud, enthusiastic, 'big' kiss.

all the best.

I've only seen ฟอด to be used for the "sniff kiss" (หอมแก้ม), not the "mouth kiss" (จูบ). So I'd think of ฟอด as more of a deep intake of air (big sniff), rather than a "smooch" in the farang sense.

eg. "คุณ aanon น่ารักจังเลย ขอหอมซักฟอดสิคะ" :o

From what I understand, "joop yai" in English would be like saying "sizable kiss" .... understandable, but not really anything anyone would actually ever say. Ever.

Yoot already explained the Thai meaning of "joop yai," above.

From what I understand, "joop yai" in English would be like saying "sizable kiss" .... understandable, but not really anything anyone would actually ever say. Ever.

Yoot already explained the Thai meaning of "joop yai," above.

he did explain the most common way that you'll see the two words side by side. 'X ใหญ่' means 'to really get into doing X' or, as yoot said in the case of kissing, 'to do X over and over'.

nonethless, if you do a google search for จูบใหญ่ there are some (rare) instances where people seem to be using จูบใหญ่ in the 'big kiss' sense. that is, unless it's the name of an emoticon or something! now, i ask you, how can a few rare results found via google possibly be incorrect?

siamesekitty, following up on what you said about ฟอด and sniff-kissing, can you think of any better ways to say, for example, 'i'm sending you a big kiss' in the farang sense?

all the best.

Edited by aanon

It's worth noting the distinction between the use of จูบ as a verb and as a noun. I'll reiterate khun yoot's & khun aanon's comments:

"จูบฟอดใหญ่" - จูบ is a noun, with ฟอด being the classifier. (ie."a big ฟอด of kiss")

"จูบใหญ่" - จูบ is a verb, with ใหญ่ being the adverb describing the many times the object of affection is being kissed. I'll also add that it sounds rather ห้วน (abrupt, therefore impolite), so it's usually folowed by เลย, as in khun yoot's example

So, it seems that khun CuriousGeorge (I loved that curious little monkey!) understands that "joop yai" as a noun sense is not used, and is pointing that out, though it's not apparent whether he understands the noun/verb reasoning behind it. To which khun mangkorn then directs him to look at khun yoot's post describing how it's used in the verb sense. Therefore, khun aanon, perhaps both are in agreement that จูบใหญ่ is not really used much, and no one is defending its use?

As for "I'm sending you a big kiss", um.. I guess I'd use the word จ๊วบ as a classifier in that case.

So, ขอส่งจูบไปให้ซักจ๊วบ would be "I'm sending you a kiss" and ขอส่งจูบไปให้จ๊วบใหญ่ๆ would be "I'm sending you a big จวบ of kiss".

(edit: actually, come to think of it, these both sound kind of weird. I think ที ("time", or "once"), ex. จูบทีนึง would be better.)

Personally, I use the word จุ๊บ (or rather, จุ๊บๆ), which is more like "little kiss" :o

You guys might find this interesting:

กิริยาแสดงอาการความรัก (เอามาจากหนังสืออังกฤษนอกตำราจ้า)

to kiss : จูบ

to buss : (โบราณ)จูบ มาจากฝรั่งเศส [v.baiser]

to give a smacker : จูบจ๊วบใหญ่

to smother with kisses : จูบจนแทบหายใจไม่ออก

to shower with kisses : จูบกระหน่ำ

to slobber over : จูบแล้วจูบอีก 55+

to embrace : กอด

to hug : กอดแน่น

to give a bear-hug : รัดแน่นทั้งสองแขน

to cuddle : กอดรัด

to snuggle : กระแซะเข้าไป

to nuzzle : เอาจมูกไซร้