Community Shuns Farang Over Hiv Fear

mouse

What was her previous occupation, me wonders. Interesting to discover just who infected whom. Otherwise, bit of a non story, unless you consider the potential libel...

I would think the guy has an excellent case for Libel and Defamation of Character.

Edited by astral

Update:

German in Aids-scare saga held

Man accused of infecting his wife to be deported for visa violations

CHAIYAPHUM: -- Chaiyaphum police said yesterday that the German accused of infecting his former wife and other women with HIV would be deported for overstaying his visa.

The German, whose visa expired three years ago, was arrested at his house and would be sent to Muang district police for further processing, said Major Thanomsak Intabutr, chief of the provincial tourist police.

The man has not been confirmed by a medical doctor of having HIV.

All schools in the province had been alerted to the man after his ex-wife warned that he had the habit of buying sex from students, said Udom Sangnak, a community leader.

The police action and the community’s reaction to avoid the suspected carrier came under criticism from Aids activists who said such measures were ineffective at protecting people from infection.

Worse still, the shunning of the man was a violation of human dignity, said Bangkok Senator Jon Ungpakorn, a leading advocate.

“His right to live with others in the community should be respected, whether he is HIV-positive or not,” Jon said, adding that the reports of discrimination were discouraging and did not bode well for the global effort to fight HIV/Aids and the stigmatisation that it brings.

Every province has people living with HIV/Aids. Rather than ostracise them, other people should be informed about risky behaviour, such as engaging in unprotected sex, he said.

Nimit Thien-udom, director of the Aids Access Foundation, said the problem was not about having foreign partners.

“There are many local men and women who have unprotected sex,” he said.

“We can’t tell people not to have sex. We can tell them, however, to practice safe sex.”

Nimit said his organisation would organise a public discussion on Sunday to educate the public on the subject.

Provincial authorities have pledged to step up public campaigns for safe sex as statistics show young people account for the majority of HIV-positive cases upcountry, with rising incidence among high-school and college students.

--The Nation 2004-09-23

I think that a lot depends on exactly who the wife is. She seems to be getting an awful lot of press time- surely there are other people who have contracted AIDS through unprotected sex who even know who probably gave it to them- why haven't we seen a whole slew of news like this from Thais/farang accusing others?

I rarely believe any article about crime/sex in Thailand, and this article hasn't changed that trend.

"Steven"

Not to condone, convict, of judge anyone by a news release as such.. I think we all would agree there are usually at least two sides to every story.....

The article came out of the Nation Newspaper and I hope that they did their homework before publishing. :o

ROFLMAO Thai Newspaper and Homework/research are anathema.. An oxymoron in the making.

but,

how odd that the Aids Groups would speak out in his defense.

:o

Why?

Because why chose an abusive, overstaying, philandering, alledgedly attempted murderer for your "poster child"? There are many other HIV+ people that are decent citizens that they can be used to further the causes these groups admittedly respectable causes. They dirty their names by associating with the likes of him.

:D So WHAT ARE THE FACTS???

Is he HIV+? We DON'T know.

Did he beat his wife? We DON'T know.

Was he having unprotected sex with school kids? We DON'T know.

IF he is HIV+ (we don't know if he is or not) Was it him who infected his wife? or was it his wife who infected him? We DON'T know.

Jeez i would hate to be on trial with some of you lot on the Jury.

Oh and if he is guilty of knowingly infecting people with HIV or beating women etc then he deserves swift justice leagal or not, However like i say WE JUST DONT KNOW THE FACTS!!!!! :o

IT WAS SAID:

If found positive - given a fair trial - then hang him!

"first they came for the Jews"

Sounds hand in glove to me. No proof, only conjecture, so hunt him down, then a typical Thai Kangaroo court, then execution. Just like Dachau or Buchenvald!!

I live in the general area (south east of Udon Thani), am of the same general age, do ocassionally limp (bad knee), but am not German. Hoo Boy am I lucky!

All of this is B.S. in this place.

No need for a trial as it seems the only offense the authorities are pusuing is the small matter of staying here since 2001 without a visa. Just surprising that the AIDS groups would pick his case to stand up for, even if the only thing he is guilty of is the blatant disregard for Immigration regulations.

Update:

Thai police arrest German in HIV/AIDS scare

BANGKOK: -- Thai police plan to deport a German man for overstaying his visa by three years in the wake of community fears that he was a carrier of HIV/AIDS and was having unprotected sex with young school girls.

Hans-Otto Schiemann, 55, born in Schweinfurt, Germany, was arrested in Chaiyaphum province, 270 kilometres northeast of Bangkok, Wednesday on charges of overstaying his tourist visa.

Schiemann was scheduled to be brought to Chaiyaphum district court Thursday afternoon where he is likely to be fined for visa violations and ordered deported from the kingdom, said Chaiyaphum Police Lieutenant Colonel Khampol Nonuch.

Police inspected Schiemann's passport on the prompting of his former wife, a Thai national who recently tested positive for HIV and told community leaders she contracted the deadly virus from her husband. The ex-wife also informed authorities that her husband was fond of purchasing unprotected sex from young school girls.

"We don't know whether Schiemann has AIDS or not and we have no authority to test him," said Khampol. He said Schiemann was likely to be transferred to Bangkok's Suan Phlu immigration detention centre for deportation.

Thailand, known for its booming sex industry, has an estimated 600,000 cases of HIV/AIDS.

--DPA 2004-09-24

Not sure why people are saying he should be shot. Are you saying this because he may have HIV, or are you saying this because he pays to have sex with girls (may take on it is University students, but I could be wrong). Even if he is HIV positive, there is still no reason to shoot him. Do you wish to be shot if you happen to contract HIV.

The only reason he should be shot is if he KNOWS he has HIV and is STILL having unprotected sex. So far, no one has implied that he knows he has HIV. So far, it is just an ex-wife (probably a former bar girl) that has contracted it.

Since it is a 100 times easier for a woman to contract HIV from unprotected sex than a man, he would have to sleep around a 100 time more for him to be the source of her HIV. Meaning, if she cheated on him once, he would have to cheat on her 100 times to approximate the same level of risk.

Of course, all this goes out the window if drugs are involved.

So we still don't know if any of the story is true? Then as far as I'm concerned he's innocent, but then I'm looking at it from a UK attitude where the law guarantees this (I hear Us law is similar in that respect). That said, this thread is a bit of a non-goer.

Have to love Thailand, just when you think a story has died off, it begins to grow and grow. The latest information providing more details and more substance and thus credibility. Now, it seems that the guy was indeed up to some dubious shenanigans. The Thai authorities seem much more interested in these activities as it doesn't appear that they just want to deport him for overstay, but look into these other claims against the German. At least they are denying him bail from prision (which actually I'd consider a "no-brainer" for a 3 year over-stayer).

HIV SCARE: German man's sex partners warned

Published on Sep 25, 2004

Young 'go-between' missing after public allegations about suspected carrier

CHAIYAPHUM - Authorities are calling on local women who had sex with a detained German man suspected of having HIV to take blood tests.

"Blood tests are free at all state hospitals. Please come to us. All information will be kept confidential and we can give advice," acting provincial public-health chief Dr Sura Wisessak said yesterday.

The German was arrested at his house earlier this week for overstaying his visa.

He caught the attention of police after his Thai former wife publicly accused him of paying students to have unprotected sex.

The woman alleged that the German is HIV-positive.

Sura yesterday said women who had had sex with the foreigner should see a doctor.

"We are ready to talk to you around the clock," he said.

An administrator at a learning institute in the province said schools were asking female students if they had had sex with the German.

"All of the students interviewed said they had nothing to do with the man, but some had seen him chatting up a number of girls. These girls were also seen at restaurants and entertainment venues with him," she said.

She said a suspected go-between, a student named "Ann", had stopped going to class after Wednesday, when allegations about the German emerged.

"She told friends that she needed to find work in Bangkok," the administrator said, adding |that she had sent a circular to other schools to get women who had slept with the man to take tests.

Schools should pay attention to students who enjoy the nightlife or worked at night, she said.

"We may have to issue warnings or talk to their parents," she added.

Meanwhile, police said they would oppose the suspect's request for bail because he might attempt to flee and cause trouble elsewhere.

The suspect is being held |at Chaiyaphum provincial prison.

Pol Lt Col Kampol Nonuch, an inspector at Chaiyaphum police station, said the suspect denied any wrongdoing, and more evidence must be gathered before prosecution could begin.